Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-19-2003, 04:58 PM   #166  
Starting over once again

Hey ladies!! Thought I'd jump in here. I've toyed around with the idea of bellydancing. I bought a video about six or seven months ago & used it once. Now it's collecting dust along with my others. After reading this thread, I think I'm gonna start using it again. I can't think of the name of it but Janine Rabbitt is the instructor. Do any of you use this one? I haven't read the enitre thread... would take me forever to do it!!!
natenkayliesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 11:08 PM   #167  

Hi guys I am fairly new here but I thought I would jump in since this is my area :-)

I participate in and work with a bellydancing studio, we do telegrams and we do dinners/renn fairs ....etc etc

Bellydancing can be as hard as you want it to be, its more of a slow burn activity and REALLY tones not only abs but GLUTES. I really don't consider it cardiovascular but I am sure you can do it fast and make it super cardio dance :-)

I reccomend bellydancing because it will make you feel beautiful and confident in what your body can do. Most of all to absolutly feel sexy in a midrift no matter what your size! :-P
Emmaleth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 10:33 AM   #168  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

natenkayliesmom-Since you are a newer "at home bellydancer" I would first recommend that you get a different video...the best for a beginner would probably be "Magical Motion" by Atea.
The Veena and Neena ones are also very nice, but I would recommend the one by Atea because since you are not taking a class, in her video she goes over the correct form and posture for belly dance-which most do not. It is very important for performing the moves correctly.
I have the Janine Rabbit video-I am sort of a collector of belly dance videos-I have Veena and Neena, Atea, Fat Chance Belly Dance, Alexandra King, Dolphina, Sharqui Bellydance...and more. I have videos ranging from excellent to pretty darn bad. The Janine Rabbit video has a few things that I like about it-her obvious love for the dance, that she shows how to wear a veil and "dance it off" and that she gives a history of the dance in the beginning of the video.
Where I think a better video would serve you is that Janine is not a very good dancer herself-and uses bad posture-which makes it harder to do the moves, as well as more prone to injury. There are a lot of bad habits that you could pick up if you follow her form/posture.
Since you have not read through all of the forum-here is a short breakdown of things we have discussed.

Best beginner videos for learning to dance:
*"Magical Motion" by Atea
*"Tribal Basics" by Fat Chance Belly dance-for tribal style belly dance
*"Basic Dance" by Veena and Neena (from the Discover BellyDance series)

Best beginner video for exercise-these videos are exercise videos that incorporate a few belly dance moves in them, but you are not going to learn choreography, or play veils or zils(finger cymbals) in them.
"Basic Moves" by Veena and Neena (from their Fitness for Beginners series of videos)

Some other basics that we have discussed is that their are two main kinds of belly dance-cabaret and American Tribal Style. Cabaret is what people mostly think of when they think of a bellydancer-most videos teach this style-American Tribal Style uses a more ethnic approach and they dance in groups like a tribe, and wear earthier clothes rather than the sparkly costumes like a cabaret dancer.
To see a cabaret styled dancer-and a great site with tons of information-go to www shira.net and check out her site. To see an example of American Tribal style-go to www.fcbd.com and take a look at Fat Chance Belly Dance's site.

When you get more comfortable with one of the beginner videos I mentioned, than feel free to come here and ask about veils, finger cymbals, and other belly dance items we dance with. We know lots of great places to get dance stuff, great cd's to dance to...etc.

Emmaleth-Welcome! Great to have you here! I am Aphil and I study both cabaret and American Tribal Style. I am a costumer for belly dance stuff-as well as other costumes and I work for myself doing that.
As far as the workout side of bellydance-I think it can be however gentle or strenious you want it to be. Some days in class or at home we (or I) do a lot of slow veilwork and lots of drills-working on my technique and form-and for me it is really a toning and strengthening workout then...like with a bolero or chiftitelli rhythm, other times we (or I) do a ton of fast moves/dancing with say a beledi or a siaidi rhythm-and then for me it is very much cardio-I can really work up a sweat. I think it is great in that sense-because it is almost like circuit training-where you are combining the benefits of cardio and strength training-and having a ball feeling like a goddess doing it! I strenght train my full body twice a week-and I feel some days I get JUST as much a strength training workout dancing-the veil in the air provides tons of resistance when you doing the moves-and you are so right about it working your buns and thighs-dancing in the correct form with your knees bent is like doing the worl's longest set of squats! I think it is wonderful, because I can go slow and easy if I want to-as well as fast and POWERFUL if I want to.
Belly dancing is great for your abs-but in a totally different way than traditional exercises. I work my abs doing traditional exercises for my center abs like crunches and Pilates, but I find that bellydancing with all of the ribcage work REALLY tones my oblique muscles (sides of the wiastline. I am still overweight, but I am really getting a nice definition line down each side of my tummy...now I just need to work my center abs a little more to get the six pack in the center to go with it!
How did you get started doing belly grams, etc? Do you like it? How do the customer's react? Any good stories?
Aphil

Last edited by aphil; 07-21-2003 at 10:36 AM.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 08:17 PM   #169  
Starting over once again

Thanks Aphil for the suggestions. I'll look into those videos & websites!
natenkayliesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 10:39 AM   #170  

Question Ideas, anyone?

Hey guys...
My class reunion is in just over a month, and it is for two days. We are having a casual get together at a local bar that Friday night, and then a more "reunion like" get together that Saturday with dinner and all.
For the Friday night bar get together, I want to dress with a touch of belly dance influence...JUST in case I get to feeling frisky and want to shake it on the dance floor...anyone have any suggestions that would look good? I want to still be able to look normal-meaning no sequined bra-but with a touch of dance influence.
I have had a couple ideas-feel free to give me some more suggestions!
black dressy boot cut/flare leg pants-mine are lower waisted, not quite low rise, but lower waisted, with my black chunky heeled boots. I thought of pairing this with a cool 3/4 sleeve choli top and one of the following:
I have a black lacy triangle shaped hip scarf that has fringe around the edges-not coins. I also have a black hip belt that has small cowry shells and silver bells on it. These are dance influenced, but not as "out there" with a regular outfit as a coin scarf would be. (Although I LOVE my coin scarves.)
Any other ideas?
Aphil
Old 07-23-2003, 11:11 AM   #171  

Default well aph

I got started doing bellygrams when I turned 18. My mother's side of the family is of turkish decent so I was always familiar with bellydancing, I started dance when I was 2 years old :-)

The studio were I went always asks their long time students to be in their renn troupe and/or do bellygrams (I do both). I dance in middle eastern restraunts mosty, and I always get a very positive reaction. When I get hiried same thing. People always go out of their way to compliment you and try to immitate what you are doing lol. It is a very fun job to have while going to school, whenever I get my degree I plan to help my mentor teach at her school and mabey quit telegrams.

As far as abs go....listen to aph! LoL I have an extreamly flat tummy for my weight....or just in general from bellydancing. Although it is not "rock solid" washboardy in a way that the gym will make it....it is stronger and shaplier. The biggest area would be the glutes by far....you squat the whole time!

Emmaleth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 11:52 AM   #172  
deleted2

Aphil, I'd just go for it with the coin scarf! Have fun! Reunions are all about getting to know a person again---dressing the part will get the conversation going. It's who you are--go for it!
Old 07-23-2003, 02:11 PM   #173  

Talking Thanks!

Eydie...thanks for the advice! You know, I may just do that...I had planned on taking a sampling of some of the costuming work that I do to the more formal reunion on that Saturday, so that everyone can see what kind of work I do...maybe my husband's stormtrooper helmet, a belly dance costume, and pictures of my competing in the costume competitions....besides, it is always good when you have an "outlandish" occupation to bring something to back it up so they know you aren't making it up!
For the "bar night" on that Friday...I may just wear the belly dance thing and go with it! I am sure it will start quite a few conversations...
Emmaleth-dancing in restaurants sounds like such fun! My teacher lets long time students help her teach the beginning classes, or substitute for her when she is out sick on occasion.
The bellygrams sound fun as well...my husband's boss has hinted around to him to have me dance at one of the Christmas parties...maybe next year when my skills are more refined...I would like to be able to do a sword dance or something really cool before I do anything in front of that many people.
Aphil
Old 07-24-2003, 11:38 AM   #174  

Talking Great News!

I just got the greatest news!!!!
My instructor has asked me to make some items-curtains, etc. for her nursery-and in exchange she will give me some private lessons!
We talked about it, and she is going to teach me some sword dancing! She also asked me if I wanted some performance experience-because in September the more advanced class is doing a performance and she said she would teach me the routine and I could join them!!!!!
I am like totally geeked up about this...my "first" performance...and with a higher class! Yay!!! Now if this isn't a good motivation for sticking with my diet plan and exercise...I don't know what is!
Aphil
Old 07-25-2003, 03:47 PM   #175  

Hey all...
I just ordered my top to wear for the performance so I will match the other girls...
Go to www.ganeshabazaar.com and click on "clearance tops and skirts" at the bottom of the menu. My top is Gypsy Top #2, the purple sparkly one with the sheer sleeves.
The other dancers will be wearing the same style tops, in different colors.
Oh...and I just ordered a sword. My husband is going to kill me...wait a minute....his stormtrooper costume I have been working on has cost over $800 so far...and will cost another $300 or so before it is finished...I have something to throw in his face after all. (laughs)
Aphil
Old 07-28-2003, 08:26 AM   #176  

Hello Ladies!
I'm new to 3fc and just found this thread. I'm a belly dance instructor and technical director for our troupe, so I thought I'd join in on this thread. I've been a professional bellydancer since 1989, though I've had 3 kids along the way and I no longer do bellygrams.

I just wanted to let everyone who's "thinking about" or "toying with" the idea of bellydance that this is the most wonderful thing you can do for your body and your soul! It doesn't matter what shape you're in, what size you are (I'm currently waaaaayyy overweight--which is why I'm hanging around 3fc in the first place), what physical limitations you have (I've taught the blind, deaf and even paraplegics to dance).....*everyone* can do this dance. Even if you think you're a "clutz" or have "no rhythm", I've seen women blossom through this dance time and time again. It's been said that the moves in this dance are born into every woman, some just need to dig a little deeper into themselves to find them. I really believe that.

Videos are a wonderful place to start, if you are shy or very far away from a class........but I would urge everyone to take a few "real" classes as well. Videos can never replace the experience of a live class...the good feelings you get just walking in the door can often last the whole week. Plus, videos can't correct your posture, can't accomodate for bad backs or knees, can't judge if you need to advance or try a different style. A good teacher can do all these things, plus add encouragement and friendship! Almost all teachers have their names on the internet somewhere, even if they don't have their own websites. (my troupe's site is at http://desertdancers.tripod.com in case you're curious. If you want to find my picture, you can go to "our dancers" or "classes, advanced")

If you must use videos exclusively, I'll share a little safety hint that I tell *all* my students. If IT Hurts, Don't Do IT!!! Which means, if a move hurts your back......don't do that move. If your knees hurt for days after you practice....something's wrong. This is a gentle dance, and should never never hurt you. Even if you're shimmying till you see God, you may be sore but should never hurt! Not all moves are right for all people. If you're experiencing pain, please find a qualified teacher to see what's going on....or post on here, and I'll see if I can help. Though it's hard to tell anything without seeing just *how* you do a move.

I guess I've rambled long enough....I'll post more later. I'd be happy to answer questions either here or on P/M. And if anyone is having trouble finding a class near them, please let me know where you live and I"ll see if I can find you one. I'm on several listservs for MED (Middle Eastern Dance).

Happy shimmies to all!
Julie/Mira
Mirabelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 09:17 AM   #177  

Mira-we are SO glad to have you here with us! I totally agree with finding a class and at least taking a few basic lessons if you can find any in your area-because soem videos do not discuss proper form with your back, knees, etc.
I am going to check out your links!
Aphil

edit: Mira, you are BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!

Last edited by aphil; 07-28-2003 at 09:23 AM.
Old 07-28-2003, 11:02 AM   #178  

Default aww shucks!

Thanks for the compliment........but I really can't wait until I lose this **#(@ 80 pounds so I can wear my old costumes again!!
Julie/mira
Old 07-28-2003, 12:31 PM   #179  

I know what you mean there...I am at 176, and I am hoping to get between 165-170 by the time of my first performance in September, and get my tummy a little more toned up!
Aphil
Old 07-28-2003, 03:37 PM   #180  

Aphil, a word of advice about performances.............enjoy every minute of it! Dance is an ephemeral art form, it does not last! You work and work and work and then it's here and then BAM, it's over! Relish all the sweat and effort you are putting into your performance right now and enjoy the **** out of the day itself! Don't fret about being 5 pounds heavier than you would like, or berate yourself for missing a step or two.......just HAVE FUN!

Good luck, and I can't wait to hear about it!
Julie/mira