Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2002, 12:55 AM   #31  

Did 2 miles on the elliptical yesterday and walked 3 miles today. So my total is 17 miles. I also went to a class called Body Flow at the gym last night. It's a combination of pilates, yoga and tai chi. Very relaxing in some parts and quite hard in others. I felt great afterwards.

Racewalker, if you've exercised consistently since joining this challenge then it serves its purpose. It keeps me consistent too. It doesn't matter so much what I do or how much, I just want to have something to post.
Old 10-24-2002, 04:45 PM   #32  

Hi All

I was able to get to the gym today after all DH took the day off so during nap time he stayed home so I could go to the gym for a half hour. I biked another 12 miles so I'm at 51 miles Less then a 100 miles to go and a little over 2 weeks to get there. I'm hoping to get to the gym Fri thru Sun.
Old 10-24-2002, 07:37 PM   #33  

Hey,

Welcome to all your newcomers. I'm sure you will find this site to really keep you moving.

Glad to hear you are ok Lodyangel after your accident.
I hope you will be up and running around soon...

I have done 16 miles so far, between riding my bike and walking each night. I would like to do more but the weather has been nasty here, rain and cool. . Oh well it is nice to be able to get out and do some exercising.

Glad to hear everyone is up and about and moving, it all adds up and helps to keep you in shape.

Speaking of moving, I am going to move my butt and go for a walk.

Have a good week everyone...

Suzanne
Old 10-25-2002, 10:20 AM   #34  

I finally got past the 6 miles on the bike!! Yesterday I did 3 miles in the morning and 8 in the evening!!
Bike total: 32.5
47 to go
Walk 3.5
16.5 to go
total 36miles
64 to go!!

Manatees: that DH in the doghouse thing really works!!
Old 10-26-2002, 12:19 AM   #35  
Strive for Inner Peace

Default Would like to join

Hello: I have been a 3fc member for about 2 years. My niece is studying to become a teacher, with a minor in physical education. She has a health project to do and is using me as one of her test subjects. She lives 900 miles from me so we are using the email system to log my progess. I am not sure if I will be the test or control subject, but would love to participate nevertheless She will be setting up an exercise program for me and I would like to post the program and the results on this thread. I hope that will be okay with you. I see that you all have challenges going on, which I am not totally sure I understand them, but I think the intent is to improve ones health. .

I am 44, married, with two teenage children and work full time. I need to lose 60 lbs, more would be great, 60 is probably as good as it will get though. I am not 'dieting' just watching or paying attention.

See you soon

Outback
Old 10-26-2002, 01:24 AM   #36  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Welcome Outback and good luck to you. Very nice of you to help out your niece and a rather interesting topic to be a "test subject". Would like to hear more if you're willing to share...

Am not doing as well as I need to be on this round of the challenge.

Total 1250 - so far 350, yet to go 900 minutes
Old 10-26-2002, 06:04 PM   #37  
Muscle Mommy

S/C/G: 228/209/155

Height: 5'9

Hello all I am back at it! Knee is still alitlle hurt, but ti will be okay! I had only 2 miles in when i got hurt...

Friday...2 miles
Saturday...2 miles
6 miles in so far...

If I really bust my butt, I might be able to make my 40 mile goal...NOW IT's a real GOAL! Let's see if I can make it...
Old 10-26-2002, 07:23 PM   #38  

welcome outback! Sounds great about the school project. Let us know how it goes.

Well did real good till Fri. My son is sick AGAIN! I think it's just from cutting a new tooth. He is just being cranky and now has a running nose. It seems like once I get off to a good start something throws me a curve ball. I'm not real worried about it since I've done 28 miles of the 60 that's my goal.

I joined WW and that lasted 2 days. I have no motivation when it comes to my eating. I can make a committment to workout and meet it with no problems. Make a committment to eat healthy and I fail. Any insight or tips into this would be appreciated. I need to lose about 70 lbs. I know i want to loose it because I don't want to be the "fat mom" who sits fully dressed and sweating at the pool while the fit moms have fun with their kids. Thanks for letting me vent!
Old 10-26-2002, 10:17 PM   #39  
Strive for Inner Peace

Default Exercise Project

Thanks for the welcome Happy2BMe and Jacksonmom:

Jacksonmom.. you could be talking about me when you describe your challenges with weightloss. Being Italian and all, food is part of my culture. I too struggle with the 'diet'. We are educated people, we know the difference between junk and non junk food.. processed and fresh...fatty and not so fatty. How much we (I) eat I think is the real problem. Anyway, like you, I am better at exercising than I am at the 'diet'. I need to lose about the same as you. I am already a 'fat mom' but I do not sit at the end of the pool... I would miss out on too much... I grin and bare it What we want is to not have to think those thoughts anymore (the fat mom syndrome) and really try to improve our health. Words come easy though hey! But I hear u loud and clear. My kids are 13 and 17, and I am still their 'fat' mom. Although the 17 yr old is more concerned about my health now and always rebutts my comments about him procastinating about certain chores and things...which he now throws back in my court about my exercise and weightloss committments etc...... ggrrr I hate that.. but it is true. I have been sick this past week.. but previous to that I was going to the gym everyday (two weeks straight) with daughter for about an hour. She is trying to get into shape for basketball..and rather than just drop her off, I go in with her and try a few things out.. yeah my reflection in the mirror is not one I like... but whatever...better I am there and not on the couch.

We are both going to be test subjects for my niece's project. She will design one for my daughter with basketball in mind, and one for me.. with weight loss in mind. I think we start Monday. It will start out slow and increase over the next 3 months. Over this time I will try to really pay attention to what I put in my mouth too...so that I can at least post a loss!

Well I have talked enough already!
Outback
Old 10-26-2002, 11:14 PM   #40  
Choose your hard

Default We pause for a minute to talk about food...

Even though this is an exercise thread, since you brought up the subject of diet programs...

Many of the people on this forum have issues with diet plans. Some want the quick results, some (like me) need the discipline of a formal program and some just can't find one that suits them.

The 3 biggest detriments to eating are:
1) What you eat
2) When you eat
3) How much you eat

Number one is kind of obvious. Limit the sugars, salt, fats and refined food products as much as possible. Start reading labels - you'd be surprised that some diet foods aren't all that and contain large amounts of sugar or salt even if they have little or no fat. There's alot of stuff I used to like but I can't bring myself to eat anymore since I started reading labels. Also I'm trying to cut back on salts and many healthy things by other standards contain an outrageous amount of salt/sodium. No wonder I couldn't lose weight when I thought I was eating healthy.

As for number 2. If you don't eat breakfast now, start immediately. Breakfast kick starts your metabolism for the day. Wait until lunch to eat and you have a tendency to eat more during the day and you don't do your body any favors with the way it will process your food. Try to eat an early dinner if possible and limit any food after 8pm to nothing more than a small fruit snack since these are normally your less active hours. Also, water is so very important to a weight loss routine. Not only does it replace sugary, empty calorie drinks but it also helps your body metabolize fat and run more efficiently.

Finally as to how much - we might be good at measuring a cup of laundry detergent or the right amount of seasonings from judgement but when it comes to measuring food portions most of us are pretty off base at first. Learn what serving sizes should be - protein should be about the size of a deck of cards, a pasta serving is about 1/2 cup (measure and see how little that really is), fruits and vegetables are generally a 1/2 cup or a cup which is a small to medium piece of fruit. I had more success when I actually started measuring things. Calories are calories and you can gain weight from eating healthy foods if you're taking in more calories than you're expending.

If you keep an eye to these 3 basic principles, you can probably come up with a plan that suits your needs without being too restrictive. Just my opinion... hope it helps a little.
Old 10-27-2002, 12:12 AM   #41  
Strive for Inner Peace

Happy2bMe:
That was excellent... but 1/2 cup of pasta??? Have you seen the size of Italian plates!! However, you are dead on! My problem is just eating too much. Thanks for taking the time to write it all down.

Happy are u the same Happy that use to come to chat?

Outback
Old 10-27-2002, 01:30 AM   #42  
Choose your hard

Yeah Outback, tell me about it! A 1/2 cup of spagetti is about what's left in the bowl AFTER I'm done eating. That's one of the shocks you get when you start looking at portion sizes and realize just how much you're taking in. I just don't eat it as much pasta as I would like to anymore but when I do, I enjoy it and I don't scrimp!

And no, I'm not the Happy that used to come to the chat room. A few other people asked me that too. I visited a few times but I burn enough time on the Internet as it is and I'd be yakking for hours so I just stick to posting.

And, yay for me I did 3.5 miles on the treadmill tonight thanks to a whole CD of 70's disco songs that kept me stepping.
Old 10-27-2002, 03:16 PM   #43  
Muscle Mommy

S/C/G: 228/209/155

Height: 5'9

okay, I was thinking today while I was walking, and my knee was hurting, that maybe I should alter my goal, and not push myself so hard. It is in my competitive nature to just "Do it", but I think I should ease off, and get well first...so I am altering my goal to 30 miles...that should be attainable.

I had 2 miles in before the wreck....
4 miles in this week so far...
2 miles on Sunday
4.1 on Tuesday (elliptical)
1 mile on Thursday
2.5 on Saturday
2.0 on Sunday
= 19.6 miles so far.....10.4 more to go!

Last edited by lodyangel; 11-03-2002 at 04:03 PM.
Old 10-27-2002, 07:33 PM   #44  

Hi All

I didn't get to the gyn as much as I wanted to this weekend. I took my kids to Pumpkinfest and they were able to trick or treat at the area businesses. I had to work at the gym today and it was very bussy, so I only got 11 more miles in. That puts me at 62 miles with 88 to go. I have to work tomorrow night so I won't be getting any tomorrow either. I probably won't make it to the gym until Wed and hopefully I can go Thur night also.
Old 10-28-2002, 02:37 PM   #45  
cac

I hate to say it, but I have not kept up. I am an artist and last week I moved my studio and that wiped me out. tonight I clean and paint the old studio. I will start working out again tuesday.

cc
Closed Thread