Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-23-2008, 04:43 PM   #31  

Height: 5'10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hat Trick View Post
SL -- sounds to me like you could use a good counselor. Is there anyone you could take to either at school or in your family? Perhaps the school could recommend someone? I've read your posts; sounds like you are setting yourself up for a disaster. I know you said this '21 hrs of exercise' is for one week, but from your posts it seems to me as if this could become something more than just for a week. You've had eating troubles in the past -- this exercise thing sounds just like that only instead of food you're applying it to the exercise.

Sensible, reasonable exercise; sensible, reasonable eating -- moderation -- will get you your results w/out harm and will keep your health intact. 'Extreme' methods cannot and will not last and will harm instead of help. Please consider talking to someone in person. This website is great but talking to a real person may really help you out.
lol noooo it's definitely just for one week. I'm pretty burned out as it is. I will exercise a lot because I like it but not this much. Maybe two hours 6 days a week like rocklovin suggested.

I am planning to follow the south beach diet. That should be moderate enough right? I just think I need a book to tell me what to do. I'm really bad on making decisions on my own.

And my problem is I commit to something and I don't fall through which is why I really just want to finish exercising this week. I never do what I say I'm going to do, and I'm sick of it. I want to teach myself discipline in following what I say. I guess you could call this week "punishment" for all the times I didn't complete my goals.
sweetlovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 05:03 PM   #32  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

I just want you to be carefully you aren't hurting yourself. I went from doing 6 miles walking/aerobic videos every week day, plus about 40 min resistance training 3 days a week. To 8 to 10 miles every week day, plus about 40 min resistance training 3 days a week. It felt great for a long time. Now I am having more trouble with the knees than I was before. The advice I was giving to go back down to 6 miles each week day and about 40 min resistance training 3 days a week. That was more than enough for me. Even with only 6 miles of walking/aerobic videos each week day and the resistance training I do 3 days a week that puts me at about 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours a day but not all at one time.

WE DON'T PUNISH OUR SELFS. We pick our selfs up and move forward. That is a very dangerous way of looking at things. Yesterday is yesterday and there is nothing we can do about it. Today and tomorrow is what we work on.

There is nothing wrong with changing goals when we find we have set them to high. Doing to much is just as bad for the body as doing not enough.

Last edited by Shy Moment; 04-23-2008 at 05:08 PM.
Shy Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 05:17 PM   #33  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Great idea--be sure to READ THE BOOK for South Beach Diet and follow it exactly--lots of people skip that very important part of the program.

I went to the gym and did 30 minutes on the elliptical, 20 minutes on weight machines and free weights. That's all I need to do to stay fit and keep my weight steady.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 05:21 PM   #34  

Shy Moment- wow you exercise a lot.

UGH my mom said I can't go to my Hi/Lo class today. That pisses me off sooo bad. I was actually looking forward to it.

Now have to go to the gym in my neighborhood on the elliptical or treadmill. I hate not being able to drive!

I don't think I've set my goal to high. I think I'm perfectly capable of meeting 21 hours this week. It's not like I'm running 21 hours this week. Som

I can't give up. I'm like addicted to accomplishing this. I know I should listen to you guys because you guys probably know better but it's only this week. Next week, I will listen to the advice on the thread. I really don't see how 7 days could really hurt me. I'm fine after doing 7.5 hours. a bit sore but fine.

I am sooo pissed I can't go to my class though. That screws up with my planing so badly. Maybe jogging and the elliptical
Old 04-23-2008, 05:26 PM   #35  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Well, you've received lots of good advice. It's up to you whether or not you take it.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 05:32 PM   #36  

Hi Sweetlovin ....

Here is an article I found on-line Compulsive Exercising

I find this part very interesting: (I've highlighted the parts that I find interesting...

Quote:
Why Is Exercising Too Much a Bad Thing?

We all know that regular exercise is an important part of a healthy lifestyle. But few people realize that too much can cause physical and psychological harm:

* Excessive exercise can damage tendons, ligaments, bones, cartilage, and joints, and when minor injuries aren't allowed to heal, they often result in long-term damage. Instead of building muscle, too much exercise actually destroys muscle mass, especially if the body isn't getting enough nutrition, forcing it to break down muscle for energy.
* Girls who exercise compulsively may disrupt the balance of hormones in their bodies. This can change their menstrual cycles (some girls lose their periods altogether, a condition known as amenorrhea) and increase the risk of premature bone loss (a condition known as osteoporosis). And of course, working their bodies so hard leads to exhaustion and constant fatigue.
* An even more serious risk is the stress that excessive exercise can place on the heart, particularly when someone is also engaging in unhealthy weight loss behaviors such as restricting intake, vomiting, and using diet pills or supplements. In extreme cases, the combination of anorexia and compulsive exercise can be fatal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetlovin
I know I should listen to you guys because you guys probably know better but it's only this week. Next week, I will listen to the advice on the thread.
YES, please make it last ONLY a week or LESS .... Because we do care about you ...

May I ask a question? Is your mom not letting you go to your class because she too thinks that you are overexercising?
3fcuser1058250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 06:25 PM   #37  
Running Fiend.

S/C/G: 210/165/145

Height: 5'7.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetlovin View Post
I ate quite a bit today, well not really actually. Just lots of small snacks and things. I had cereal/toast with coffee for breakfast because of lack of food in the house, then mixed nuts as a snack, steamed rice with teriyaki chicken for lunch, p/b nature valley granola bar. maybe a chicken salad for dinner when I get back.

Pretty hungry now but I want to exercise because when you workout when you exercise, you burn more fat. Atleast thats what "they" say. lol

I'll reply more later. bye
Your food today seems significantly better than what it was the last time you posted. It's still low for the amount of exercise you're doing, but it is much better. It's good you're incorporating more protein to help repair your muscles.

P.S. You should eat about an hour before you workout, especially at the intensity you are. Having available blood sugar will help you get the most out of your workouts so if you are hungry before the gym eat!
rockstar87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 07:00 PM   #38  
Rennie

Sweetlovin
We aren't talking I do all that exercise at one time lol. I make sure I eat carbs before I exercise and protein afterwords. A two mile video is only 28 to 33 min long. I do them three times a day. If I decide to do a 5 mile videos ( about 70 min ). I wait much longer between doing some other kind of exercise. You really don't want to do to much at one time. I hope you aren't hoping for quick weight loss or that more exercise is going to make you lose weight faster. For some people this does work ( the quicker weight loss ) for me, I am losing about 1 pound a week and was doing this before I started to exercise. Exercise has made no difference at all in the speed I am losing weight. Exercise is to tone the body. Sure it burns calories but we exercise to tone, to burn fat, to get into shape. This is how I look at it. I eat the required amounts of the four basic food groups each day. I make sure I am not under 1200 calories a day. I exercise. THE SIDE EFFECT of this is to lose weight, and get into shape. What great side effects.

Oh, don't curse. Do you know, many people don't take a person serious that has to curse to get their point across. Ok, that was the mother coming out in me
Old 04-23-2008, 09:59 PM   #39  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene View Post
Hi Sweetlovin ....

Here is an article I found on-line Compulsive Exercising

I find this part very interesting: (I've highlighted the parts that I find interesting...

YES, please make it last ONLY a week or LESS .... Because we do care about you ...

May I ask a question? Is your mom not letting you go to your class because she too thinks that you are overexercising?
yahh but it's annoying.

One second she's like, "Your getting fat" or "why aren't you exercising" and when I gain a bit of weight and I am upset about it, she goes "well, what do you expect? You're not trying hard enough"

I already low enough on myself sometimes and I don't need someone helping me haha.

EH whatever. Honestly, I haven't binged for quite a few days and I think it's due to me coming here and writing about my daily trials and the exercise has helped too.

I haven't loss any weight yet but I'm not worrying about it. I keep weighing myself at odd times and it says I'm 160 pounds which I knew is probably due to dehydration and me retaining water because I've been drinking about 7-8 glasses but I know I need way more since I'm sweating.

I'm not going to worry about my weight this week too much. I'm sure the results will come soon.

I only managed to do 1hr 20 minutes today. Mostly because of my mom not letting me go to my classes at 5:30. Idk what I'm going to do.

I may have to lower my goal. *shocker* Maybe 18 or 19 hours would be better. That way if I make it to 21, I will overachieve my goal.

Last edited by sweetlovin; 04-23-2008 at 10:05 PM.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:03 PM   #40  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstar87 View Post
Your food today seems significantly better than what it was the last time you posted. It's still low for the amount of exercise you're doing, but it is much better. It's good you're incorporating more protein to help repair your muscles.

P.S. You should eat about an hour before you workout, especially at the intensity you are. Having available blood sugar will help you get the most out of your workouts so if you are hungry before the gym eat!
Thanks for the tip. Yeah I am trying to add a lot more protein. I guess after reading the South Beach Diet book, I realized how important proteins and vegetables are compared to carbs.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:09 PM   #41  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthxxx View Post
Well, you've received lots of good advice. It's up to you whether or not you take it.
Yeah I have received a lot of good advice on this forum. I think I would be doing way worser things without this board being in my conscious haha.

I lowered my goal just now. Only 3 hours less but I figured it was going to be impossible. 18 hours isn't too bad for a week. ( I suppose )

Last edited by sweetlovin; 04-23-2008 at 10:10 PM.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:04 AM   #42  
Rennie

sweet
There was a question I wanted to ask you and I forgot. How long did it take you to build up to the amount of hours of exercise you are wanting to do a week?
Old 04-25-2008, 03:58 PM   #43  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shy Moment View Post
sweet
There was a question I wanted to ask you and I forgot. How long did it take you to build up to the amount of hours of exercise you are wanting to do a week?
I never really built up to anything/prepare. I'm not too out of shape at all so I guess I just went for it. I exercise usually 2-3 times a week almost all the time anyway, but that's on average. some weeks i don't do anything.

Anyway I was sick this morning with a headache. I think my sleeping pattern this week is really throwing me off.

Anyway I didn't really lose any weight. I hate life haha.

I need to go shopping and then focus on eating more then exercise anyway. I bet that's more important. I'll probably do about 4 more hours before the week is over. I'm pretty much over it. I could have done it but it seems like a waste of time about this time.

ahh u know. sometimes I would rather be fat then worry about all this crap. already have enough going on my life

too bad being fat makes me depressed. I wish I was a happy fat person.

I don't even have that much to lose. maybe 20-30 pounds. Some of you chicks have like 100-200 pounds to lose and 20 pounds is like a drop in the bucket. I don't get why it's so difficult for me to lose a couple pounds.

Last edited by sweetlovin; 04-25-2008 at 04:02 PM.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:20 PM   #44  
Rennie

Sweet
Oh I do understand when you say you wish you could be a happy fat person lol. Let me tell you a secret. Being thin does not make a person happy. There are a great deal of rich, thin people in the world that are not happy. Good heavens, just look at the papers at the super market. Those woman are pretty, thin, rich and they sure aren't happy. I joke with my 17 year old when we read those papers in the check out line. I wish I had those womans problems. With that kind of money they just don't know where to shop for happiness lol. You have to like yourself even when you don't look the way you want to look. Each of us is a very special person. God has a reason for us to be here even if it is only to make someone smile or to say a kind word to someone right when they really need to hear a kind word. We are all important.

The way to lose weight is to watch what you eat, and I don't mean watch it while you eat it lol. We are no longer on a see food diet around here, just because we see it, doesn't mean we have to eat it.

I can only tell you what I do. There is a reason why the foot pyramid was created. So we get the required amounts of things into our body. If you aren't against meat products here is an example. Bread/cereal group 6 a day, meat 2 a day, dairy 2 a day, fruit 2 a day, veggies 3 a day. These are the least amounts a person needs to eat to be healthy. It is really easy to look on line to see how much of something fills a food group. You will be surprised how you need to eat to get all those required amounts eaten a day. My gosh, it takes me from the time I get up until I go to bed most days to eat them all. You might have to eat more at one time instead of 6 to 8 times a day like I do since you are in school.

Yes, we need to exercise but exercise isn't about losing weight. Sure it burns calories, sure it tones the body but exercise is for so much more than that. Exercise works the heart and the lungs, blood is pumped and oxygen is taken to all parts of the body. The body lovessssss oxygen. The more fit the body is the better it works. We can exercise to much and hurt our selfs. I had to lower the amount of miles I was doing a day because I was beating up my knees and I have been doing this for months consistently. All of us make mistakes and we learn from them.

Losing weight and keeping it off is about consistency. Eating a good healthy diet of all the things we need. Not just today and tomorrow but forever. Getting a healthy amount of exercise and doing other things in life that we have to do or we like to do. Life is about balance. We all want to lose it fast. We didn't gain it in a day or a month and we probably aren't going to lose it that fast either. I know it is hard when a person is younger to think about 6 months or a year down the road but believe me. You start to eat healthy and get a bit of exercise in and you are going to see the weight coming off and by the time Christmas rolls around you are going to be in much better shape than you are now.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:59 PM   #45  

I have an issue with the food pyramid because it's really confusing to me with the quantities, what counts as a serving etc..

the thing is, I am pretty happy with mostly everything in my life but I think being thin would make me so much better. Being this size really holds me back

I didn't even go to the mall with my sisters because I felt way to big to buy anything.

I actually haven't been shopping in months because of my weight. I keep thinking I'm going to but I going shopping can be very depressing for me if im not confident enough. I love clothes but I avoid shopping as much as possible, especially when im at my highest weight (like now) because I break down and cry once in a while. I just am having a hard time getting use to my body considering how much it has changed. Especially when I have to get a size bigger.

It's the truthh.

Exercise isn't about losing weight. I know. I think I was actually trying to take my mind off food and push myself more then losing weight because im honestly not that pissed off that im the same weight today. I'm just glad I actually did it to begin with and I pushed myself and I woke up early all those days.

How much exercise (in hours) do you think I should aim for. 10?

idk my mom is annoying me because I have to walk to the GROCERY STORE today on my own and carry the bags back to the house because she doesn't give two craps about me and my plans. She jokes around with my weight issues like it's some sort of game and it's not. So she told me to walk and get my groceries. And that's what im going to do.

she annoys me so much. It's not a joke. I am trying here and having the help of my family would actually make is possible for me to reach my goal. but no. it's just some big joke. A joke that I have to spend the small amount of money I have from my job at the mall and buy food for the south beach diet. Considering I'm only getting two hours this week, that annoys me alot. I wonder how long 100 dollars of groceries is going to last? hmm.

i guess we will see. I should be on my way. daylight is going away in about an hour