Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-03-2007, 01:59 AM   #16  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindyCityChick View Post
Thanks everyone for your marathon advice (on last month's thread). Wndranne, I am definitely doing this for me, not because my friend suggested it - he did put the idea to leave Chicago in my head, but that's because he's heard me talk about having to wait untill next year to do Chicago because registration is already full this year. Gulp - I think I going to do it!

Ennay, I'm very excited to hear we'll be in the same race! I'm wondering if you've run Portland before? One thing I'm a little nervous about is coming from the flatlands of Chicago to a terrain with actual hills. I looked at the course map and it looks like there's only one major hill. But, wondering if you can confirm that from your first hand experience.
I've not run it before but the only REAL hill is the st johns bridge from what I hear. Now I have done races downtown and there are a couple small hills in the middle that coming from chicago might feel a bit like hills. Not steep but long. A little hill work between now and then might be prudent. OR if you cant do hill work, do a little speed work, it helps.

Quite frankly I find gently rolling easier than totally flat, it gives different muscles work during the race instead of always the same ones.

So you are going to do it? Yippee!!! I just registered yesterday actually, decided to get off my can and commit!
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 09:22 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 185/123/120

Height: 5'5

Good Day everyone! TGIF!!!!!

Somehow I managed to get my 5k in this morning!
I was having a bit of trouble with my Ipod and I am one of those
people that have to have it!!!! No question! But, I got if figured
out and ended up having a great run!
So, for the week I did get in my goal of 4-5k's Yeah!
Going to north Georiga on Sunday for a whole week to visit
family and I am going to take my gear so I hope to still get
in my running. Wish me luck! Not at all used to running
in the mountians cause here in Central Florida it is flat as
a pancake.

Have a great weekend everyone-and I will check in when
I return from Vacation!!!!!
Lovestorun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 09:35 AM   #18  
Heather 2.0

S/C/G: 290/281/139

Height: 5'8"

Morning all!

Stacey - I definitely have my Auntie Flo here - I read your post and thought: "flat as a pancake...mmmmm....pancakes..." Have a great vacation!

Ran 3.25 miles yesterday, and feeling good Had lunch with a friend and started asking her about when she thought I should add a fourth run in per week, and she started at me oddly and said: "Heather, just run every OTHER day - that's fifteen runs a month, and 75KM!" I felt pretty stupid!

Ennay and Windy - way to go - you'll have fun, too!

Have a wonderful day, all!
Heather
HeatherAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 11:37 AM   #19  
Powered by tofu

S/C/G: 207/203/140ish ??

Height: 5'4''

onthetee – so sorry to hear about the family loss. But, congratulations on breaking the big 20!

Rachel – A marathon, wow! I don’t know that I’ll ever run a marathon, I am in awe. Good luck with training. So cool that you and ennay will be in the same race.

Stacey – Congrats on making your weekly goal. I always have a hard time keeping up with my routine when I travel. But running in the mountains sounds lovely and scenic if a bit hard. Enjoy your trip.

Heather – I’m still a beginner and prefer to run every other day (I won’t even pretend I literally run every other day, but almost never two days in a row). I don’t know at what point it’s prudent to start running consecutive days. Maybe some of the seasoned runners here have some advice?

3.25 this morning in about 34 min, felt pretty good. Probably my longest run since my little "hiatus". Hoping to get out to picnic point for a scenic run by the lake this Sunday.

I finally got a stopwatch to time my runs (you'd think I would already have one by now, but you'd be wrong). I also got some capri length running pants, so much better than being too hot in pants or dealing with the shorts riding up. I won't say they're flattering, but it's so much more comfortable. Do any of you girls have advice about VPL in tight running clothes?
shananigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 03:33 PM   #20  
Accepting who she is

S/C/G: 173/see ticker/138

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindyCityChick View Post
Onthetee - I actually looked into the Indy marathon (and believe me, I know that I-65 drive so well - I grew up in Lafayette, and went to college in Bloomington). But that weekend already had something else scheduled that I couldn't move, so I had to find a different alternative. Portland's going to work out fine, because I have some good friends there who I don't get to see much of, so this will be a nice excuse to spend some time with them as well. Perhaps I'll do Indy next year!
I also am an IU grad.

I don't ever plan to run a marathon, even with a year to prepare.
onthetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 06:49 PM   #21  
Starting Over

S/C/G: 255/255/155

Height: 5'7"

Well, I finished out week 5 of C25K today with a 20 minute, 1.5 mile run (no stopping) and was pretty amazed I didn't pass out, throw up, or trip over myself! It was a struggle at about the 10 minute mark but I put a magazine that I had no intention to read over the screen on the treadmill and guessed that after 2 songs I would be close to done, and I was right I only had about 3 minutes left at that point and what's 3 minutes after 17?

So onto my question. I have two pain spots - my lower back is on fire with pain and my right hip. When I run I don't feel either, but any other time I do. Is this just because of my weight, or should I be scheduling a doctor's appointment. The back pain is so bad, and I am not one to complain much about pain, but it's been 2 weeks of this and it hurts! The hip is more of an annoyance, like getting in and out of the car, stairs, or getting up from the chair, couch, etc. If anyone has exercises even that I can do to stretch and strengthen these areas, I am all ears!

Thanks everyone for listening. I swear if I didn't have this awesome site I would have quit running the second it got hard or I had any pain! I love you guys!
cakses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 08:07 PM   #22  
Heather 2.0

Hmmm - I am no expert, but that doesn't sound good... the running 20 minutes does! but not the pain

Are you doing any strength training? Do you stretch? I find when my lower back hurts a bit (though it hasn't from running) I lie on the floor and do the pelvic twist, but this may not help you - depends what hurts and why. I think you might want to ask a doctor? I'd be especially concerned about the hip...

Heather
Old 08-03-2007, 10:26 PM   #23  
Starting Over

S/C/G: 255/255/155

Height: 5'7"

I know! I totally feel like I am geting old prematurely or something. My husband didn't seem too concerned and said it might just be from the shock of going from no exercise (or very little) to all this running and the kinks will work themselves out.

I stretch religiously every day and especially before and after the runs and I do weights twice a week. So I don't think it's lack of stretching. I really wish I had enough money for a sports massage at the gym or a chiro appt to pop my back. I will figure it out though. So far I am still mobile, so I am not going to freak out over it.
cakses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 10:26 AM   #24  
Heather 2.0

Well, good luck Cakses, you sound like you are absolutely doing everything right - and of course continue to be sensible - if it starts to hurt too much, get thyself to the doctor!

I signed up for a 5K in mid-October - doing it with a friend who is currently on week 6 of C25K... kind of exciting!

Another 3.25 miles today. Going to stick to running every other day.

Heather
Old 08-04-2007, 11:00 AM   #25  

S/C/G: 233/198/133

Height: 5'3"

I started back running a little while ago. I'd been walking for a long time before that. The road that I'm on is a 1.9k/lap and I'm doing 3+ laps (I go a bit further to make an hour). I'm up to mostly running although I still need to walk a bit every so often.

My question; Is there something more/different I should be doing to get faster/have more endurance? Should I continue with this until I feel really good running the full hour. I'm new to this so any help you can give me would be appreciated.

Thanks,
settie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 12:08 PM   #26  
Heather 2.0

Hi Denise!

I'm a no expert - I've only just finished the C25K programme, and I would strongly suggest doing what you are doing until you feel you can do more... it doesn't always have to be comfortable, but it shouldn't hurt! If you aren't already doing so, break your time up into clearly timed running sessions and walking sessions, then add 30 seconds or a minute to your running every few days, and decrease your walking by the same amount.

You'll find you're running farther, for longer, in no time at all!

Heather
Old 08-04-2007, 01:12 PM   #27  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

Hello, I've been quiet recently with not running, so welcome to any new faces who have joined the thread while I've been giving it the silent treatment!

I'm kind of back on track. I did 17 miles today, which I should be pleased with I suppose, but I was hoping for more. I think because I used to be able to run more than that I sometimes forget that I need to build back up again. It feels like I should be able to do it, just because I could a few months ago. anyway, I got to 17 and decided that I could either stop there and know I ran all the way, or carry on for another couple of miles but probably need to take walk breaks. I figure I've got enough time before my marathon that I can get some good long runs in, so I called it a day.
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 01:34 PM   #28  

Quote:
If you aren't already doing so, break your time up into clearly timed running sessions and walking sessions, then add 30 seconds or a minute to your running every few days, and decrease your walking by the same amount.]
This is one way to do it but not the only way. Running until you need to walk, then walking until you're ready to run again is just as valid a way to build running fitness.

An hour is really ambitious for a beginning runner. Any reason you've chosen that as how long you should be running on a regular basis?
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 01:43 PM   #29  
Heather 2.0

I agree with Maria - either way will work; it was just one suggestion!
Old 08-04-2007, 03:01 PM   #30  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

crud - today was supposed to be my 20 miler and I am sick sick sick. Thank god its the weekend. With breaks to nurse ds - who I suspect is also a bit sick, I slept until 10:30. dh has just taken both kids to the park.

Next weekend is the last one I can reasonably do a 20 until after hood to coast, so I guess my 10K next weekend is gonna get bumped. Pooh. Unless I feel miraculously better by this evening.

The other option I considered is seeing if my babysitter is willing to come ridiculously early on wednesday or thursday and I could do it midweek. Do teenagers get up that early? They would have to be here by 7 I think so dh could go to work.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote