Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-25-2007, 10:28 AM   #106  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

heather - that is a GREAT NSV. Its not really about beating them, its if you have always seen them as fit, you are comparing yourself to a standard and realizing you are improving.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 04:45 PM   #107  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

I've finally found a workout that tires me out! I cycled to work (5 miles), swam for an hour then went to work. Then at the end of the day I cycled 2 and a bit miles to running club, ran 6.3 miles and cycled 4.5 miles home. I normally swim and run on the same day, but I decided to see whether cycling would be a better way of getting between all the different places I wanted to be. It actually worked really well because there was so much rain during the day that the entire city centre was gridlocked, other than bikes weaving through the traffic. The rain had stopped by the time I set out from work, but the after effects were still making themselves known.

If I feel OK in the morning I might try some speedwork on the treadmill. I'm doing a 5k on Sunday and although I know that I'm not going to be able to make myself hugely faster in 6 days, I'm getting quite competitive about it because a load of people from work are doing it, and I want to remind my legs how to run fast!

But for now I'm just going to go to sleep
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 03:41 AM   #108  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

I did 30 minutes of treadmill intervals in the end. I managed to get the treadmill going a lot faster than I ever have before - I even managed 2 minutes at 15 kph without falling off the back
Old 06-26-2007, 08:40 AM   #109  
No pain, no gain.

Height: 6'3"

I'm heading out to start week #2 today. Should be a nice day for it even though it already is starting to feel humid out. Can't wait!
glitterlicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 09:12 AM   #110  
Heather 2.0

S/C/G: 290/281/139

Height: 5'8"

Hi Glitterlicious (great name!)

Hope your start to week two went well - I found week two REALLY hard, but extended it. In many ways, week three has been easier.

I've actually decided to tweak the programme so that I am doing five days of each week - I just find this easier for building my stamina and strength - but no doubt you are fitter than I am!

Isn't it AWESOME?

Heather
HeatherAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 10:02 AM   #111  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

Heather and Glitter, I'm so glad you're enjoying your first weeks of running. You'll love when it gets easier and you can have nice, comfortable runs. Believe it or not, they're coming!

My run this morning was so NOT comfortable, though! I did 6 slow, painful miles, and I'm actually really glad it's over with!
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 01:01 PM   #112  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Nice run this morning - I have a nice 7 mile loop around town (yes that is around the WHOLE town...its a small town) Its 2.5 miles to a stoplight where I generally have to wait 2-3 minutes to get across, and then ~2 flat to another place where I have traffic and also start going up hill rather steeply. So I did 2.5 warmup, the 2 tempo then just ran home, I always run the last part kind of fast after doing a tempo.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 02:57 PM   #113  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

I think I've just been signed up for my fourth marathon. Two weeks after my third. This could be interesting... (I know it's not really enough time to recover, but the second of the two will be a lot slower than the first, so hopefully it should be OK, and at least now I know what to expect and am going into it with my eyes open).
Old 06-26-2007, 08:44 PM   #114  
No pain, no gain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherAngel View Post
Hi Glitterlicious (great name!)

Hope your start to week two went well - I found week two REALLY hard, but extended it. In many ways, week three has been easier.

I've actually decided to tweak the programme so that I am doing five days of each week - I just find this easier for building my stamina and strength - but no doubt you are fitter than I am!

Isn't it AWESOME?

Heather
It is most definetly awesome.

The second week definetly is much more difficult. I don't know whether it was the step up or the heat that did it, but I was really working up a sweat. But I felt so great afterwards.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:58 AM   #115  
No pain, no gain.

week #2 workout #2 completed.

I feel AWESOME.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:27 AM   #116  
Heather 2.0

S/C/G: 290/281/139

Height: 5'8"

Wow, Glitterlicious, you are really going, girl!

I absolutely HAVE to take a day off in between (but I have added strength training those days) - I can't yet imagine running every day... but I'll get there... maybe...

Heather
HeatherAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 04:28 PM   #117  

S/C/G: 261.5/176.5/145

Height: 5.5

Hi runners! Well, I've returned home from vacation and I'm happy to report that I kept up with my C25K training for both weeks I was away! I'm so glad I did that for myself. I feel much better for it and I don't have to start over or go backwards at all now that I'm home. I'm on week 5 and I'll be doing day 2 tomorrow.
royalsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 04:40 PM   #118  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

Well done for keeping it up!

I did 9 miles this evening with running club. It was actually a really nice evening for the first time in ages, although it was still muddy. I'm kind of glad that I decided to walk up there rather than running it though, that would have been another 3 miles on top.

My 5k at the weekend has been cancelled because of flooding, so I might get a long run in instead. I'm marathon training again, after all!
Old 06-27-2007, 11:36 PM   #119  

S/C/G: Starting over

Height: 5'7"

Hello everyone,

Today was my first real slacker day. It went like this. I got on the treadmill (its HOT outside) and started running and it said I was going 8 miles per hour. I knew it was just wrong but I tried to tweak it and it just stayed that way. After the first "mile" I tweaked some more and the little display went back to under 5mph so there you go. I ran another mile and then just gave up but I ran yesterday and will tomorrow so a little slack is not too bad.

Had a great nsv the other day. Went out on a "run" with my son. He is 9 and he can keep up ok. He kind of runs with me when he wants to and walks when he doesn't.

Anyhow we are nearing the end of the road and he starts to sprint. So I sprint too, we race and.....It was a tie!

Now he is a pretty fast 9 year old so this is good. I used to run around the bases with him as a game when he was little and he could out run me by 2 (I didn't try that hard of course but he sure is a speedy guy).

Anyhow I am glad I can still kind of keep up with him. In a few years he will leave me in the dust of course but that's OK.
hikerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 11:58 PM   #120  

S/C/G: 275/137/140

Height: 5'7"

Hi coolrunners! Glad to see everyone is logging those miles. It's been really humid in Chicago this week, so running has been tough - I get so sweaty and sometimes feel like I can't breath because the air is so thick. But, still plugging away, and we're supposed to get a nice break in the humidity tomorrow.

And - I have to share that I have a new motivator to keep running. My treat to myself for running in a half marathon was to buy myself a new running skirt. Most of my running clothes were purchased more for the price point than the fashion (although - plug for Target - their C9 line manages to combine both quite nicely). So, I bought myself a new running skirt from Brooks that was definitely a bit pricier than most of my running clothes. But, I gotta say, I feel so girly and feminine when I wear it, it just makes me feel good! Anyone else have the same experience with a piece of clothing?
WindyCityChick is offline   Reply With Quote