Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-19-2007, 05:11 PM   #76  
Running Babe

Yah for your first run. You best bet would be to run a little slower. The first intervals are often easy, but then your body gets tired. Going a little slower will make your later intervals easier! Don't worry if it seems like you could walk faster, your speed will come with time!

Hope this helps!

Ali
Sweater Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 12:01 AM   #77  

S/C/G: 275/137/140

Height: 5'7"

Hi everyone - it was a gorgeous day here in Chicago, and I got out of work a bit early, so enjoyed the extra free time by adding on a few miles to my evening run. Went 8.2 in total, and felt really great the whole time - it's amazing how much a drop in humidity makes things easier.
WindyCityChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 12:41 AM   #78  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Did my 5K on Sunday. Perfect weather--a bit cool and overcast. The course was through a park, a butterfly garden, and part of it was on a bark chip footpath through the woods. Fantastic! The best part was that I did the 5K in 35.31, which is an 11.39 mile--my best time ever! My goal this year is to run under a 35 min. race, and I got pretty darn close. My DD ran with me, and it was helpful having her there to spur me on and vice versa. Told her she had to go with me to all my races this summer.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 06:07 AM   #79  
back on track, again!

S/C/G: 307/see the ticker/healthy

Height: 5'8"

WTG Sheila! That's the time frame I am shooting for. Right now, I can do a 10:29 mile, but only one, and my longer runs always end up averaging out to 13:30-14:30, or somewhere in there. At least right now it's easy to get a PR on my 5k, since my times are so bad, lol.

I got back out there this morning and did a mile, in a 12:30 pace, not too bad considering I've only run a mile total before that this month. I hate being in a slump, but I feel like I've got it licked. Gonna keep it easy the rest of this week, and get back up to my mileage next week, as I've got a 5k the next week to try and finish.

Have a great day everyone!
NavyWifeDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 07:58 AM   #80  
Heather 2.0

S/C/G: 290/281/139

Good Morning!

Wisher - Congrats on getting started! I am on week three, but I am actually repeating week two. I need to strengthen a bit more before moving on.

I actually went out on Monday, and had to cheat and walk a LOT - I just felt extraordinarily tired, and couldn't seem to push through it - but I was SO disappointed in myself. I am feeling better about it now, telling myself that in fact listening to my body is a Very Good Thing!

I was out this morning before 7am - SO unlike me!! - and I feel much better. Ran better, too - but it is still hard on the old knees... Still - I'm moving and shaking!!

I'll probably move on to week three next Monday

Have a great day everyone!

Heather
HeatherAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 08:49 AM   #81  

Don't think of it as cheating.

It took you a long time to get as out of shape as you are now. It's reasonable that it's going to take time to get into shape, too.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 01:16 PM   #82  
Heather 2.0

Thanks Maria - That's an EXCELLENT way to look at it - I will!
Heather
Old 06-21-2007, 01:22 PM   #83  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I think I have a budding distance runner on my hands! Yesterday we spent A LOT of time in the stroller and last night walking with dh, dd (3 1/2) said she was done strollering and wanted to "run home". So we let her out and she would run to the end of the block and then run back to us and we'd take her across the street and run and back. All told I think she ran about a mile in about 10 "intervals" I was pretty impressed. At the end she was tired and we offered the stroller for the last stretch and she decided to run home instead of ride or even walk.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 01:24 PM   #84  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Heather...it happens sometimes even to the more experienced runners. I had one run about a month ago I went out expecting to do 5 miles and I ran 1 and started doing walk/run intervals and finally threw in the towel and walked home. Sometimes you are just tired.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:42 AM   #85  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

Yes! I think my legs have finally recovered! I did a 12 mile run into work this morning, and as well as it being about 2 miles longer than my next longest post marathon run, it also felt a lot easier than most of the rest. I actually ended up doing it within 10 seconds of the time it took last time I ran that route back in April, when I was right at the peak of marathon training, so that's a good sign.

I think part of the problem with my recovery feeling slow has been starting to cycle into work on non-running days - it feels like my legs are taking ages to recover from each run, but I suspect it's actually that the problem is the different muscles I'm using on the bike. Now they're a bit more used to being used, hopefully it should all start to feel a bit easier.

I've got a rest day tomorrow (and must remember that means no cycling either), and then a 10k on Sunday. It's a really big race which I'm doing more for the atmosphere (it's being organised by a really inspirational terminally ill local woman, and from the reports of her health may well be one of the last events she's involved in), so I'm not really going for a PB, but I will see how I feel on Sunday before deciding how to play it.
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 10:08 AM   #86  
Heather 2.0

Morning all!

Thanks Ennay - good to know it happens sometimes

I moved on this morning to week 3 of the C25K - wasn't sure I'd be able to, but it was all good, and now I feel GREAT! I think I might do Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday next week, so that it doesn't feel like a long time between now and Monday.

Helen - what's a PB? All I can imagine is Power Burn... am I close?

Have a super weekend everyone - I'm so glad I found this group!

Heather
Old 06-22-2007, 11:31 AM   #87  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherAngel View Post
Morning all!

Thanks Ennay - good to know it happens sometimes
Ugh I jinxed myself. This morning I went out for a 7 miler, slogged a mile, stopped and walked home.

Oh and PB, PR - Personal Best, Personal Record
Old 06-22-2007, 04:26 PM   #88  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Must have been one of those days. I was trying for 3.25 miles, but ended up at 2.5, and it was tough at that. Still recovering from some kind of virus. Not sure why I was able to get it together for the race on Sunday, but I think I kind of maxed out my energy for the week.

You're doing great, Heather!
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 09:45 PM   #89  
Heather 2.0

Thanks! NOT Power Burn then!!
Old 06-23-2007, 11:20 AM   #90  
I deserve to feel good!

S/C/G: 250/225/150

Height: 5'5"

Went out again this morning, feeling tired but great! Unfortunately I just don't think I'm ready for the C25K program, I'm really struggling with the last few run cycles and haven't been able to do them sometimes. So I'm just going to work my way up to it (boy that sounds sad when it's supposed to start off so easy right?) Anyhoo I'm going to follow that mode of running (the very short but frequent stints of running mixed in with brisk walking) so today that's just what I did. I ran for a minute or so then power walked for 2 minutes or so, cycling as many times as I could then power walking the rest of the way. I was out for 45 minutes and it was a beautiful (although HOT) morning here in AZ! I'm just glad I'm doing some running, even if I can't quite do the program I want yet. I always feel so accomplished and powerful when I run, I can see why it's so addictive!

I hope everyone else has a great run today too!!!
wisher is offline   Reply With Quote