Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:48 PM   #61  

S/C/G: 325/ticker/175

Height: 5'3

predisone is such a bad drug.. my mother who has been on 30mgs a day for 8 years for COPD and is 67 years old broke her hip two weeks ago.. due to prednisone.. she didnt fall.. it was a slow break because the prednisone had weakened and degenerated her muscles so bad the hip had nothing to support it.. she has had the hip replaced, but the drs dont know if it will 'take' because of all the muscle damage.. also a couple years ago she developed steroidal cateracts and had to have surgery in both eyes..
my sister also has copd and has been on 40mgs per day for about 5 years.. she is 38.. she too developed steroidal cateracts and has had surgery.. so please ladies walk and exercise to keep your muscles in as good a shape as you can.. prednisone can be a lifesaver but there are sooooo many complications caused by it
jimaterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 09:18 PM   #62  

Default prednisone & weight

I have been on a minimum of 20 mg of prednisone daily for the last 10 years. During the first 2 years I gained 70 lbs and have been unable to loose it. I have consulted 3 different hospital based nutritionists and far more doctors asking for information to help lose weight. I have yet to find anyone who could tell me why prednisone causes weight gain or what dietary strategies would counteract the impact of prenisone. It would seem that prednisone must cause some change to the way the body normally processes food. What is it? It would also seem logical that someone should know how to interfere with the weight gain by eating less or more of certain foods. What are they? I am amazed that so many professionals, including those that prescribe prednisone, do not understand the mechanisms of prednisone caused weight gain. I am also amazed that there isn't more information available at any of the medical/health web sites. I recently called the manufacturer of prednisone for information but have yet to get a call back. I am desperate for factual information and would appreciate any information or referral to resources.
daisy10178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 06:46 PM   #63  
PMR

Default so far this is the BEST site on the web for Pred + wgt. loss

Found this site today - GREAT info! I've been on prednisone for 8 months for PMR and I'm down to 2.5 mgs/day after picking up a 20 lb. weight gain. 45 min./day workouts along with about 2500 cals/day haven't done diddley to keep the scale from ^. Since starting on the pred. I haven't been able to break into a sweat, ergo no weight loss. All the crunches on the AbLounge yield no \/ on the pred. pouch - maddening!

I didn't know about MORE water & less carbs and will start both immediately. Just wanted to express gratitude for the help here.

Will
PMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 08:27 PM   #64  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

When I first started a long term course of prednisone when I was first being treated for what appears to be an autoimmune disease, my doctor then told me that prednisone increases appetite (which I definitely noticed), and also lowers metabolism and causes water retention.

There's quite a bit of information online as to why and how prednisone does this, but practical advice does seem to be lacking. Unfortunately, the medical community is well-known for lack of information on nutrition and nutritional theories. A nutritionist might have more insight.

Last edited by kaplods; 05-18-2008 at 08:30 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 03:02 PM   #65  

Hi!
My name is Jodine, and I have an autoimmune disease called Myasthenia Gravis. I have been on Prednisone since March 2003, lower doses, under 15 mg daily. I recently had a baby girl in December 2007, and I have not been the same since. I have been on 30 mg daily since July 2007, and am now on 60 mg/50mg alternating dailly. I have a very big moon face, double chins and a buffalo hump on my neck. I have also begun gaining weight primarily in my abdomen. I'm looking for a good book on what kind of diet and foods to eat while on such high doses of prednisone. Is "Coping with Prednisone" by Eugenia Zukerman a good book that has nutritional information in it? Any help would be appreciated. I was going to do Weight Watchers, but a lot of low fat food has high sodium in it, and that is not good for users of Prednisone. Thanks!!
jtuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 03:17 PM   #66  
It's my time to shine...

S/C/G: 234/225/145

Height: 5'5"

My doctor put me on Prednisone a few months ago for my osteo-arthritis in my neck and 2 slipped discs to go with it. I only take them as I need them, which isn't often unless the weather is bad. I've gained weight, but I'm not sure if it's the Prednisone or something else. I'm on multiple meds and am really hoping to get this whole "weight" thing in check!
RissaIsAFatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 10:08 AM   #67  

Hello,

My name is Desirae and I am pleased to have found this site with so much great information about prednisone and weight gain. I have a condition called antiphospholipid syndrome and have developed anemia as well. I'm on 20mgs from 60mg daliy for the past 6 weeks. I have gained 10 lbs, but exercise and eat healthy too. I think I will try the low carb diet and see if that works. I have a doctor's appointment next week so hopefully he will have some good news for me about taking the prednisone, maybe 10mgs daily to wean me off of them. We will see....
dyoung1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 11:05 AM   #68  

I should check this thread more often. I'm still on prednisone....3 yr. now....and my dr. told me I'd probably need it for life. I have sarcoidosis also an autoimmune disease. I think you gain weight because of hunger!!! It does taper off after the dose goes down...at least a little. I have lost about 30lb just using intutive eating. Eugenia Zukerman's book is a good one. I still have about 30lb to go.
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 05:01 PM   #69  

Smile Prednisone weight gain, auuugggghhh!

I have been on prednisone for 7 months and have gained an alarming 40 pounds. I have battled my weight my entire life, so when the neurologist said prednisone, my reaction was absolutely last resort. I have myasthenia gravis that affects my vision, swallowing, and lifting, walking. Prednisone is an amazing horrible drug. I am excited to try the low carb diet to help me with weight loss while on prednisone. Since I have myasthenia gravis, I have to be careful about exercise. I also have been taking over the counter diurex to help with the moon face. It has not affected the weight gain, but it really helps with reducing the moon face (not completely, but anything is welcome!) I am so glad to find this site, no one understands the devistation of prednisone unless they are on it long term. Looking forward to a smaller me and hope the best for everyone!
Teresa409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 02:26 PM   #70  

Default It really helps!

I found this thread back in March and started on a low carg way of life. While I haven't lost much, 6 pounds, I also haven't gained any. I have been on 60 mgs. of prednisone and 100 mg. of Imuran, God only know how much I would have put on if I hadn't found this thread. Thank you
lvl42freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 11:37 PM   #71  

Default New prescription

My doctor has prescribed prednisone for allergies I've had for the last three weeks. I'll be taking 50mg a day for 5 days, then 40, then 30, etc. Should I be concerned for weight gain in taking this for a short period of time? Seems like I'll be taking it a few weeks to a month?
webcreatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 12:09 AM   #72  

I'm so happy that I found this forum... I was diagnosed level three ulcerative colitus back in May and I was 40mg of prednisone for two months and have been tapering of by 5mg a week. The first major thing I've notice is my appetite is gone almost completely. But I did gain back twenty pounds and I'm desprite to lose it. I'm now only taking 15mg a and will be down to 10mg by next week. I keep hearing stories of people who find the weight comes of easily and others that say its the hardest thing. I want to try and start working out even if its riding my bike or aquafit but all my joints are killing like they never have before... anyone got any good advice even if it's just going to help me lose like 5-10 pounds it would really help because I'm going to meet my boyfriend(met online 6 months ago) for the first time in two weeks and I don't want him to think I'm fat and ugly!!
apeters8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 08:59 PM   #73  

S/C/G: 273/273/220

Height: 5'5

Angry uck to predinson

i was on it continusly for a year starting at 60mg and stayed there more than have the time.
i went to bed one night and woke up the next day and couldnt fit in the clothes i worn the day before, so i hopped on the scale and had gain 12lbs in six hours of sleeping....i kid you not.
occasionally i have to go on it now and then. and i cry immeditaly every time im told so.
bumblybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 10:43 PM   #74  

S/C/G: 297/301/175

Height: 5'10"

Smile Prednisone

I have been on Prednisone since last November when I was finally diagnosed with Lupus. I had suffered a stroke in July, and was admitted to the hospital in November for shortness of breath. I was an emotional mess.

I have gained quite a bit of poundage throughout this ordeal and swelled quite a bit since on the pred. I feel alot better and emotionally stronger but I do get down and out about the weight. I have noticed if I drink plenty of water and eat well there tends to be an enormous difference in how I feel. Does anyone out there have that burning sensation on their muscles. That makes it very difficult for me to exercise but I will keep it up because I know it's good for me and will help me in the long run.

I have come to the conclusion and realization that I have to be very committed to my well being and since then it has been a huge difference in how I feel. I am determined to lose this extra poundage one way or another. I will not let Lupus get the best of me. So don't give up. We are all in it together.
ebarfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 03:17 PM   #75  
Totalpraise

S/C/G: 211/211/180

Height: 5'4"

Default Asthma and Prednisone

I can't knock Prednisone, because it is a life giver. I have asthma and usually do short bursts of 10 mgs for 5 days. However, in May I had a terrible asthma attack and had to go to Emergency room in the Bahamas. I was given lots of IV of Pred /Albulterol (7 IV's ) and took predisone for three weeks. However, as soon as I tapered down to ten mg, the coughing and wheezing would began. At last, after taking Predisone since May 15, I'm being weaned and should be off by Thursday. (Praise God) However, during the course, I've put on 17 pounds. And, I was overweight (but fit) before. I'm wearing a pedometer - trying to get in 10,000 steps a day. That's hard, but at least it reminds me to walk more - to the bathroom, from the parking lot, etc. Now that I have breath I'll exercise inside. I can't wait until frost and I can walk outside again. Now that the cravings are subsiding I'm logging in my food and keep water besides me at all times. Anyway, this thread is encouraging, because most people just don't understand. I hate my body, my clothes don't fit, and my face doesn't look right. But I'm working on "encouraging" myself and following God's lead.
Totalpraise is offline   Reply With Quote