Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 07-19-2012, 05:17 PM   #196  
jbabs

S/C/G: 194.5/ticker/154

Height: 5ft9

Thanks mer du. Do you know how long she was off them before the weight stared to drop? I just need reassurance as to how long before things start to improve.
janeybabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:34 AM   #197  

Default some thoughts on predi weight gain

I've been reading a lot about prednisone and weight gain. A couple of books have been very helpful. Here's the low-down to prevent weight gain and to lose it.
First is diet. This is a tough one because when you're on prednisone, it messes with the body's ability to process sugars so there are intense cravings. But if you can, they recommend low salt, low carb, low fat diets. The prednisone supresses the adrenal glad which helps regulate many of the hormones that maintain our weight. When they get messed up, the body will store fat, re-position fat cells, and hold water. So if you can (I know it's hard!) avoid the sugars, simple carbs, salt, and fat.
Then there's exercise. Predi also messes with the muscles. It can cause muscle loss. UGH! So its really important to work out your muscles, which includes the heart and lungs (aerobic exercise). The more muscle you have, the better your metabolism will be to process foods.
I'm finally on only 4mg/day after 7 months of high doses. I gained about 20 pounds. Now I'm working with a trainer and I'm getting serious about my diet. I wish I had the whole time though. Good luck to all of you!
Worshipgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:40 AM   #198  
jbabs

Thanks worship girl. I had read the same info so I managed to keep mostly the same weight during my time on them. But I did work so hard to do so. My body drastically changed shape despite the lack of weightloss. I just imagined it would drop off so quickly once I was off the steroids and it hasn't.
Good for you getting yourself a trainer. It would be nice to keep each other updated with how its going. I'm desperate to cling to any kind of motivation I can after all this time.x
Old 07-30-2012, 03:31 AM   #199  
jbabs

Woohoo, 11 1/4lbs in 8 weeks....finally might be getting my body back.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:42 AM   #200  

Smile

Good for you! Keep going.
Worshipgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:19 PM   #201  
jbabs

thanks chick. so pleased to see the scales moving after all this time. Woohoo!
Old 08-06-2012, 05:33 AM   #202  
jbabs

woohoo, another pound down!!!
Old 10-21-2012, 12:30 AM   #203  

So glad I found this. I have Sjogrens, RA and am also a Loopie. I am 29 years old and used to weigh 200lbs. I am at 127lbs now. Without Prednisone I would not even function but being on it during a flare up means weight gain for me. I tried everything...from juicing to vegan to raw. Now? I am paleo and it is the best thing I have ever done. I am on 30mg of pred and have absolutely no weight gain at all. With auto immune disorders we burn amino acids like nothing so meat is rather important.
I take about 6000mg of fish oil. First and former comes veggies of course and then...and this might shock you. FAT. Olive oil, coconut oil (any good healthy oils...veggie oil is crap! It is a killer so don't use that) and lot's of nuts. You would not believe how many nuts I eat in one day. After that comes animal products. Happy animals of course. No processed stuff at all. No sugar (some honey is quite okay). Dark chocolate is okay, eggs, WHOLE FAT greek yogurt with berries, and some other fruit. If you wish to lose weight stay well below 100g of carbs but not below 50. I maintain with 110g of carbs which is reached easy. No grains but yams are okay at times. Any roots are awesome. Very simple. Yes you might feel very tired for a few days, your body wants all the sugar that it is used to but that goes away fast. Plus all those cravings that Pred causes...O_O
sabrinaclasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:24 PM   #204  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValRock View Post
Things I avoid: Milk, Beef, Starches and sugars.
Things I supplement with: Omega3, Flaxseed, Cinnamon, Cayenne, Coconut oil, Feverfew, Megadose VitD3 (I think this has made the biggest difference) plus others depending on how I'm feeling. TONS of leafy greens.
How much D3?
Lumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:00 PM   #205  
Lifestyle Changer

S/C/G: see sig

Height: 5' 6"

I am on prenisone for RA and have gained most of my weight while on it. It's a delema, take meds feel good but gain weight, don't take meds in constant pain.
Rhonda Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:19 PM   #206  
jbabs

Hi Rhonda,
I would recommend a low carb diet. which one would be up to you. There are plenty going round. If nothing else it might help you stop putting on weight. Try not to get too frustrated if the weight isnt going anywhere.....hard to say...and this from a girl who would cry about it. Good luck. Oh and for anyone who thinks they may be suffering side effects i recommend a book called 'coping with prenisone and other corticosteroids'
Old 11-25-2012, 10:29 AM   #207  

S/C/G: 186/176/125

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhonda Marie View Post
I am on prenisone for RA and have gained most of my weight while on it. It's a delema, take meds feel good but gain weight, don't take meds in constant pain.
I am as well. I'm on 20 mg right now because I developed pleurisy due to the RA. I've gained 50 pounds over the last 3 years with all the steroids but I'm determined to lose it with low carb!
Ann1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:52 PM   #208  

S/C/G: Peak 300/Restart 270/Goal 130

Height: 5'4.5'

I am also dealing with RA, hypothyroidism and fibromyalgia and finally gave in and got a prednisone pack. My hands were burning so bad last week I couldnt even type.
Dr. Told me to stay low card, high plant protein while taking the pack and I should gain weight. So far I seem to be staying even, but am having crazy cravings and really messed up dreams!

One thing I did want to share with everyone is that clove essential oil is an incredible topical anti inflammatory and painkiller! Mix a few drops of clove oil into jojoba oil and rub onto the area you are having pain. It will help reduce the pain for a couple of days. When it starts hurting again, repeat. Also, soak in hot Epsom salts water. That helps prevent the mineral and acid build up I the joints that causes the erosion of the bones.
Kat117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:10 AM   #209  

Like another poster, I had anterior ischemic ocular neuritis (stroke of the optic nerve). I took 80 mg of prednisone for 6 days.

That was a month ago, and I am about 5 pounds heavier now (131) in spite of doing more exercise. I either jog or ride my bike 30 minutes and I also swim another 30 minutes every day.

Has anyone else had only a short period of prednisone at a heavy dosage? Did you have weight gain, and how long did it take to lose it?

On the positive, the eye doctor was going to prescrbe 100 mg and then he said "You're small, so I think I'll just give you 80 instead."

NSV
Tabbycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:55 PM   #210  

S/C/G: 279.1/255.6/150

Height: 5'10"

Like a few of the other posters, I have Sjogren's Syndrome, and mine not only manifests with dry eyes, dry moth, fatigue and joint pain, but has effected my airways and vocal cords as well. Seem to get a flare every few months and its back on high does of Prednisone. I have an insane appetite while on high does and have gained 80 pounds in 2 years. 29 of that was just from April to May this year. I am now on maintenance dose of 5 mg with immunosuppressive therapy! So are to get the prednisone weight off. How do you stop the crazy appetite snd cravings while on high doses?
Amyp70 is offline   Reply With Quote