Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 03-07-2008, 04:27 PM   #46  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

It isn't just opinion, you have to wean off of steroids (unless it's a very small dose). Suddenly stopping can cause serious harm and even death, because only by tapering off do you get your body to start making its own steroids again.

This isn't at all related to addiction. Sometimes we use addiction and dependence interchangeably, but they're not. Once you've tapered completely off the drug, you don't continue to "crave" prednisone. Tramadol (a non-narcotic pain reliever) sometimes gets the same bad rap. It can cause more dependence, yet is less addictive than stronger narcotic medications. Many people who stop it suddenly or who miss a dose will experience nausea and headaches (definitely true for me). So to go off it you do have to taper. However, it doesn't create a psychological high (except perhaps in ridiculously high doses, as I have heard that some people who abuse narcotics find a way to abuse tramadol - though it would generally make you sick before it made you high).

It's an important distinction, because when you have a condition that requires a drug that causes dependence, the last thing you need is for others (and yourself) considering you "addicted." I've had friends and family make comments about both the prednisone and the tramadol (more about the tramadol, something about taking any pain medication makes some people nervous) - so I had to educate them.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 09:03 PM   #47  

S/C/G: 154/140/130

Height: 5'5

hi everyone. i'm new to the site and i'm already loving it. i'm 17 years old and i've been on prednise for 10 months, now i'm down to 4mg a day and i can't wait to gwt off of it completely. this is my senioer year in high school and prom is coming soon....i've always been a "pretty girl" so you can imagine what my moon face has done to my self esteem. i've never worked out in my life so i'm really worried that the 20 pounds i've gained won't go away. can anyone give me any advice, or hope....?
ErikaMCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 12:43 PM   #48  

Start an exercise program now - get some friends and go for a walk. The weight will not magically disappear.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 02:12 PM   #49  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

My aunt had very noticeable moon face after her kidney transplant because of the prednisone and other medications. She looked like a different person. She's still on prednisone, but a much, much lower dose and most of the extra weight and moonface has disappeared. She definitely looks like herself again. Her cheeks are a tiny bit fuller than they used to be (not that anyone would notice, as she had very sharp cheekbones and an angular face, so a little extra fullness isn't noticable).

Some of the weight very well may come off easily with the reduced dose, or when you're off it completely. I've known people whose weight "snapped back" with little or no exercise or dieting when the prednisone was reduced or discontinued. I've also known people who never had a weight problem before prednisone, and even after the prednisone was discontinued they were left with a weight problem and possibly even a changed metabolism.

There is hope, and not only that it might resolve easily, but that even if it doesn't diet and exercise are not futile. You might find that the weight loss is slow no matter what you do, so you have to be more patient with yourself, but it will help - not only with the weight loss, but with self-esteem, confidence, and health.

Good Luck!
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 07:47 PM   #50  

S/C/G: 154/140/130

Height: 5'5

Thank you!
ErikaMCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 10:03 AM   #51  

Height: 5'11

Thank GOD! Finally, I can communicate with people who are going through what I'm going through. I have to take prednisone beacause I found out I have Crohn's as well as ankylosing spondylitis. I have recently gained around 50 lbs!!!!!!!! in the last 8 months. I have always been kind of heavy set but I'm tall so you really can't tell a whole lot but I do have the moon face thing going on. Need weight loss help fast.
oosiewoosie25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 02:44 AM   #52  

S/C/G: 267/260/135

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by oosiewoosie25 View Post
Thank GOD! Finally, I can communicate with people who are going through what I'm going through. I have to take prednisone beacause I found out I have Crohn's as well as ankylosing spondylitis. I have recently gained around 50 lbs!!!!!!!! in the last 8 months. I have always been kind of heavy set but I'm tall so you really can't tell a whole lot but I do have the moon face thing going on. Need weight loss help fast.
I gained about 70 lbs fast and recently lost 30 of it, still on the Prednisone (though on 20mg instead of 120) and found that cutting sodium helped a lot, I would bloat amazingly bad if I ate too much sodium. Cutting out sugar and presumably getting my glucose levels a bit more normal cut the food cravings a bit. It's still harder than losing weight without prednisone, but it's possible!

I had moonface BAD and the buffalo hump. People I knew well did not recognize me. Seriously. That was freaky. The moonface is pretty much gone but my cheeks are pudgier still, I only notice it when I look in the mirror and compare with my student ID or passport photos (my face was looking incredibly gaunt in my passport photos) but I'm working on it. A lot of the weight was in my middle and I got stretchmarks really bad too, looks like I was attacked by bear in my belly and hips. Argh.
amy180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 12:30 PM   #53  

Wow! This thread is still going. I'm still on predsnisone after 3 yr. and recently found I feel better eliminating bread, potatoes, pasta and sweets.......more energy, less aches and pains, just a better feeling overall. Nevertheless, I still struggle to do this as I love these foods. I've tried that 4 day diet popularized by James Zeta but available on ebay for much less. That really works to cut cravings, etc. but is hard to stick to. It's mainly fruit, veggies and protein, no bread etc. It's great if you have an event coming up as it gives more of a reason to stick to it. And it's only 4 days.
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 12:32 PM   #54  

Forgot to say that the belly weight is nearly driving me nuts. ha!
Old 04-20-2008, 07:01 PM   #55  

Red face

Hi All! I am so thankful that i found this site. As i saw in several of ya'lls posts, we all seem to have that dirty "p" word in common. Prednizone...blah. I was diagnosed with autoimmune hepatitis when i was 16 years old. I am now 25 and have been in and out of "remission." It seems like in the past everytime i'd get the dosage down and be on top of things with my weight, then i'd get sick again and have to start the dosage over again. I'm currently on ten mgs and have been for about a year. My body isnt gettin rid of the weight like it has in the past. The moon face, the buffalo hump, the swollen abdomen...yeah...all of it is there...a constant reminder to me of a condition that i will have for the rest of my life.

I also have endometriosis. It was in stage four when the doctors found out, and after a year of treatment i'm now taking a regular three month shot of depot provera. This also seems to add to weight gain.

I was interested to see many of you all mention a low carb diet, drinking lots of water and less salt. My doctors have told me NOTHING about how i can lose weight. Basically i've been told to resign myself that in order to live, i'll have to deal with being obese. I'm 5'9 and at a wapping 230+ i'm not sure that i can deal with the weight gain.

I get so depressed. I have a great personality and a good sense of humor. I rarely complain to anyone outside of my family about my condition. I'm single and sometimes i feel like that the only thing men see when they look at me is a fun fat girl....and i wonder if i'll ever find someone who might actually be interested enough in me to not worry about the fat..

Dont get me wrong...i'm not looking to lose weight for anyone but me...I want to be SEEN..for the person i really am. Plus i get tired of running out of energy and feeling achy all the time....everything is always swollen and it's just a terrible thing to deal with. It's like people just think you're a fat girl...you dont really look sick, and they dont know you have an illness, so they assume your just lazy...

As a girl that was always fit, this is hard to deal with...

I just need encouragment guys...i see so many of you with weight scales on here showing that you HAVE lost weight..I'll take any suggestions you have to offer....i'm bound and determined to take control of this. It cant be impossible! God is too good a God for it to be impossible.

Thank you all...
artistalicio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 09:27 AM   #56  

Aristalicio, I've had sarcoidosis since I was 27 and am now 59. I was able to ignore it for about 25 yr. because I have 10 children and pregnancy causes naturally high levels of cortisone. But about 3 years ago I was in kidney failure due to high blood calcium. Prednisone helped that but I gained lots of weight. It is mainly a lung disease so that is the main problem. Lilybelle, a gal that posts a lot on maintainers has some type of liver disease that she has been on prednisone for a number of years. She lost almost 100lb on low carb. I think she watches her calories and carbs now but has maintained for over a year or so. I think she has at least 1 post on this thread. So it is possible to lose.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:10 AM   #57  

S/C/G: 186/176/125

Height: 5' 4"

I'm fighting prednisone weight too. I have rheumatoid arthritis and I gained 54 pounds. I lost 20 but with upping my prednisone again here the last month or so, I've gained 10 of that back. I hate that my waist curves OUT instead of in!

With being in pain so much, I haven't been good about staying on any weight loss plan. That just has to change. I don't feel good and I don't feel good about myself. My dr.s have suggested low carb for me and beginning *again* in the morning, that's what I'm doing.

I'm sorry there's so many of us in this boat!
Ann
Ann1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 09:05 PM   #58  

Carol, Thanks for the encouragement. Ann, I'm trying to start up with a low carb diet as well...but sheesh oh pete, it's hard isnt it??

A friend of mine told me to try South Beach...but honestly i just can't afford to follow a plan like that. I'm just gonna try to find as much information as i can on following a low carb diet and try to just create my own.

I've been walking more regularly, and drinking a lot of water. I also would suggest eating cucumbers, if you are like me and dont like water that much. I love cucumbers and they are a natural diuretic, so they will help a little with the water weight. My doctors wont put me on a water pill, so i'm trying to do that naturally. I've cut my caffeine down a lot, and i'm trying to incorportate crystal light and sugar free hawaain punch powder packets in to make the water taste a bit less like water!

Lets all hang in there, friends. At least we know we arent alone. i dont wish this on any of you guys, but it is nice to know that there are others out there that understand.

Be blessed,
ALICE

Last edited by artistalicio; 04-25-2008 at 09:07 PM.
artistalicio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 10:53 PM   #59  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

Prednisone was one of the meads that helped me get to where I was lol. I finally decided the benefits of all the meads I was on wasn't worth all the weight gain. Once they were pretty much out of my system the doc said I could TRY to lose weight but not to expect to much it could take forever. What did she know. I have been doing pretty well with a nice balanced diet and exercise to help tone the body. It took awhile to get off the mead and from time to time I still have to take a very very small dose because of the rheumatoid arthritis in the winter months or very wet months. I gained about 80 pounds I guess in just a few short months. Steroids and cortisones are real weight gainers. Make sure if you want to get off this med you do it with your doctors help. This is one of those meads you don't want to mess with and just stop taking.

Last edited by Shy Moment; 04-25-2008 at 11:18 PM.
Shy Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 05:00 PM   #60  
patri23

S/C/G: 125/125/110

Height: 5'3"

Hi,
I've been on prednisone for about 6 months due to a severe complication of pregnancy called CAPS (Catastrophic Antiphospholipid Syndrome). I originally started at 100mg daily, which ballooned me from 110 lbs to 198lbs. I looked like the Michelin Man. For the past 4 months ive been tapering off prednisone, and im currently at 12.5mg. I still have the dreaded "moon face" which i absolutely HATE. i cant stand how i look in pictures because i dont see myself anymore. i also have pockets of fat on my neck, thighs, and hips. i am so anxious to get back to normal. i would say that i am 10-15 lbs more than i used to be. Im eating very healthy diet and avoiding salt and sugar as much as possible. Does anyone know when i will start to really see a reduction in water retention and the dreaded moon face?
patri23 is offline   Reply With Quote