Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 07-25-2005, 11:56 AM   #31  

I just got home from the stress test. It wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. I had wires running all over the place, so I knew they were monitoring everything. My BP was up before I started, just because I was nervous. I don't know when I'll hear from my doctor about the results of that and the back x-ray.

Anne, we've lived here for 6 years. I can't believe how much we have accumulated. The garage sale really helped clean out a few areas. I'm glad that I had decided to take things to GoodWill instead of bring it back in the house to save for another sale.

Meme, feel free to come up and go through some of our closets!! While we were on vacation, my brother was here going through one of them. The closet had a bunch of things that belonged to my parents. We had gone through most things, but there were a few boxes of pictures, newspaper clippings, etc. that we put in there for another time. That was 6 years ago!!

Mima, making an apt. and renting it out sounds like a nice idea.

Well, I think I need to get busy on something. It will definitely be indoors. Way too hot outside.
Tammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 05:34 AM   #32  

Good morning-I waited so long for my tests!! Someone has to write it up. I am glad we are not moving downstairs. I have put lots of energy into the upstairs. Brad got a different machine yesterday which was hard to operate. he is through with that part and they will cement today. With help and 91 degrees. I feel better. We did the big shopping yesterday afternoon. With big money to pay. But we will be set for 3 weeks except for other stuff. Course, when Brad goes you can add a few bucks-he has his own cart and he buys bacon!! I am going to buy a digestive enzyme. That's what I came up with. And I am going to make some ice cream out of rice milk and peaches in the blender. We are going to a mission conference this weekend. I will bring some of my own food. Like my bread. Awake at 4:30!! Bye for now. Mima
Mima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 08:46 AM   #33  

My doctor's office called Tuesday afternoon with the results! I couldn't believe it was so fast. The Stress Test came back A-OK. No problems at all. The back x-ray showed degenerative damage in the lumbar spine. Basically arthritis. The doctor told me to work up to 45 minutes of exercise a day. It will have to be in small segments because of the back pain, but I guess it will help in the long run.

It rained during the night!!!!!!!!! That is the first rain that we've had in weeks. It is also going to be in the 70's today instead of high 90's like we have had for weeks. I may just go for a walk this morning. I hope it rains on me!! lol

Your ice cream sounds good Mima! I'm going to get our ice cream maker out and try some ice cream with Splenda. A friend says it turns out great. I have to see for myself!
Old 07-27-2005, 01:21 PM   #34  

Tammy ... there is an exercise you can do that is quick, easy and won't hurt your back. Well ... I said easy. It LOOKS easy but it isn't as easy as it looks. But at least it won't hurt you. It's called Callanetics. They take it real slow and each movement is done in super slow motion. There are many tapes to choose from ... I've been doing the A.M and P.M. ones. 20 min. in the morning and 20 min. at night. They really stretch you out. No jerking or jumping around, my joints and bones can't take that! I have the hips and behind one and the stomach one. I hope to get to those eventually ... one step at a time. Don't want to over-do ... I'm famous for that! I also like Oxycise ... it's a breathing exercise. Gives you lots of extra energy. I have 2 of those tapes. But I've known about Callanetics for about 30 years. I once lost about 14 inches all over doing that just from using her book. So I know it works. I didn't lose any weight ... in fact I think I gained a couple of pounds ... muscle. It firms you up. Can you imagine what you'd look like if you did that and cut back on your eating, too? Wonder Woman look out!!!

http://www.callanetics.com/booktape.htm
MemeToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 01:30 PM   #35  

Meme, thanks for the information!! Sounds good, so I'll be checking it out as soon as I send this message.

Isn't it great how everyone passes on such awesome information on here? Thanks again.
Old 07-27-2005, 02:57 PM   #36  

You're welcome ... I know Callan Pinckney is my age or older but wait until you see her body. She doesn't have any flab or cottage cheese cellulite ... her butt is tight and her stomach is flat. There are several of the poses that I can't do because of my knees and back but that didn't stop me from losing the inches before. I figure I've had the same problems all my life and if I did it once, I can do it again. I just have to keep it slow and stay at it. Consistancy is always the key at anything you do. You can't do anything if you quit half way through.

One Dr. (Dr. Robert James on Healthlinks) wrote this about Callanetics:

One word describes Callanetics: unique. By isolating muscle groups and using tiny, precise, yet powerful movements, Callanetics exercises tighten and reshape your body while increasing strength and flexibility. It is often said that one hour of Callanetics exercises has the tightening and lifting value of 20 hours of aerobics, and, because Callanetics exercises involve deep muscle work, you don't experience the bouncing and jarring found in high-impact activities, such as aerobics or jogging. Men and women of all ages and fitness levels can exercise safely and injury-free.

Benefits of Callanetics include:

- tightening hips, buttocks, inner & outer thighs
- flattening the tummy
- lifting the bust
- firming underarms
- toning the entire body
- improve overall posture!!
Old 07-28-2005, 06:49 AM   #37  

Thanks for the info Meme. And Tammy, yeah for the good stress test!!! Too bad about your back -so now you will be more careful. Don't bother with that icecream I made-it froze like ice, not icecream. It must need another ingredient. I should get an ice cream maker too because I miss icecream!! I spent the whole day making things for the Fair. I stenciled and appliqued some aprons-and I put smoe paint into glass Christmas ornanments that someone gave me. Not nuts about the ornaments but the aprons came out good. Every year we have new crafts. Experiments. We had some great storms last night so it is awesome today and I will walk with Auntie. I need to get away from my projects. The house is going to the dogs. Mima
Old 07-29-2005, 05:32 AM   #38  

Hey guys-are you enjoying the better weather? Going to a Mission conference this afternoon. Taking the camper-it's only an hour away. thesae people serve in Asia-wonderful wonderful people. Only thing I worry about is the food and not getting tempted to eat the wrong things. Bye for now. Mima
Old 07-29-2005, 04:01 PM   #39  

Mima, someone else said the same thing about the ice cream with splenda. She said if I made it to let it sit out of the freezer for a while before trying to dip any.

Hope the mission conference was a good one. Did you stay out of the food?
Old 07-30-2005, 08:26 PM   #40  

Hi gang! I don't think I'll have time to get on here tomorrow. I have to be at the school by 1:00 to start checking kids in for band camp. I will be staying until Friday unless something comes up that I can leave earlier. I had 2 chaperones cancel out for the last 1/2 if the week, and I thought it was a bit late to find anyone else.

Have a great week everyone!! I'm sure I'll be getting plenty of walking in. We are on a college campus, and the dorm isn't real close to the practice field or the dining hall. I know they have a salad bar, and that's usually a favorite.
Old 08-01-2005, 06:31 AM   #41  

Well Tammy, have fun. It will be an experience. I ate 3 things with wheat this weekend-not bad. The conference was wonderful and I got to meet Brad's friends from Turkey. I keep sayin I want to go ther but Brad doesn't like to fly. We'll see if it's supposed to happen. There is an orphange there of severely handicapped children and you go to give them some joy!! We are going to hear the missionary preach next Sunday. Back to the daily grind. Mima
Old 08-01-2005, 10:32 AM   #42  

Default Hey There

I'm Back! We had a wonderful week at the beach.. I only gained 3 lbs. Didn't want that but no scale there and who cares. It is good to not face it every morning. Now today I got up the nerve.We stayed at a pretty nice place. A few minor things not so good that the storm left behind but we didn't let it bother us . We did buy all the water we consumed. I sat on the beach and read to my hearts content. Didn't get burned and that's ok. My G/daughter and her mother were/are brown as nuts.That will soon fade.It was really hot there. One day the dolphins gave us a show, I can't say how many were out in front of our beach house. Just rolling and jumping in the water. It was great to see.We loved it.The guys shark fished at night. They hooked into some big ones but never got them to shore. I am not sure what they would have done with them if they had. I have grilled shark and it was ok.
I too have oa in just about all joints.Total knee surgery on R/knee. Left in waiting pattern. I won't do that untill nothing else works. I don't like that much pain.My Dr. says they don't do that much anymore.They are supposed to last 10 years. It has been 14 so far for me.
Now it is back to daily living. Back later .
Tammy - My daughter was back to school today too.. She is so glad she had the whole summer free. This is the first time in 20 years.
Hello everybody..Got 2 loads of laundry done and more to go..Back later..Joanne
Joanne D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 07:05 AM   #43  

Welcome back, Joanne and it sounds like a wonderful vacation. I went to Fl in July one year and we stayed in the water for 3 hours and boy did we get burned-with sunscreen, But we had a wonderful time. My stepgrandaughter had her first plane ride. I am bringing her down in November-Southwest will fly into Ft Myers. Darn dog came into the bedroom at 1-he was panting. We had a storm.Gotta get a new virus protector-mine is expired for updates. Not good!! Made a bunch of Christmas decorations for Fair!! Not again. They didn't come out that good. Mima
Old 08-04-2005, 12:40 AM   #44  

First day here...thought I would say hello. I have FMS and several other fun little thorns in my side, but I'm determined to take this weight off for good. I know that I should stay away from carbs for my health, but I'm fighting low carbing with a vengence. That fight might end right now. After losing several relatives to diabetes related deaths, I have to face that I can't eat bad carbs anymore..so here I am. Looking for support, direction and some sisterhood if its here.

Going to go back and read through this thread to learn more about all of you. I just need encouragement to keep coming back so that I have a virtual touch stone for my wl journey.

You can call me Cari, but it's not my name. I just like how it sounds. LOL!
Caribou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 02:32 AM   #45  

Welcome Cari ... I think you'll like it here. We're a friendly bunch ... but we tend to gripe a lot!

Joanne ... that sounds like my kind of vacation. Take me with you next time. I like vacations where you don't HAVE to do anything. My last couple of vacations have been too hectic. I need one with no schedule, no meetings, no concerts, no relatives and no where to go. Just sit on the sand and watch the water. (Heck, I'd like a LIFE like that ... for a little while ... like a year or two!)

I think I have a pinched nerve somewhere in my back or hip or leg. It's killing me. I guess I started exercising too soon and did too much. I was doing two different things and messed it up again. (I do it every time!) It's all the way down the back of my leg plus my knee is swollen and my ankle is messed up. The fair starts Tomorrow night. The Nelon's are singing at our church Friday night and we're supposed to go someplace south of Knoxville and pick up some trailers Sat. morning and get back for the fair Sat. evening. We set up three at one booth tonight and I have to get helium for balloons tomorrow and do those. The fair is running for a week and a half this year ... and it's hot and muggy here. JOY! I don't know how I'm going to manage Friday night ... can't be two places at once! Somebody needs to clone me!

Candice said to tell everybody that the reason she hasn't been posting is because her computer is acting up.