Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 08:44 PM   #1  
Doin' it this time

S/C/G: 208.8/208.8/145

Default Hypo - Thyroid

Hi everyone, I have been here before and I am back.

I am going to Disney in late October and am trying to shed a few pounds so I can keep up with my family.

What is the best way to eat if you are hypo-thyroid, I have heard the Zone is one of the best.....from my hypo - sisters out there what has worked for you.

Thanks
Old 08-07-2003, 02:36 PM   #2  

My MD and RDA put me on 6 mini meals per day, lower carbs and more protein - works well. It's pretty similar to South Beach or Zone. I have 4 servings of starches, 8 servings of protein, 2 fruit, 3 milk and all the veggies I want.
Old 08-10-2003, 04:18 PM   #3  

Hi,
My doctor never said anything about changing my diet. I am doing Weight Watchers though and she knows that I am. I am interested in hearing more about what foods are best. DM
Old 08-14-2003, 11:04 AM   #4  

Hi everyone!
I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism approx. 12 years ago. Anyone else on lifetime medication?
I live in Norway and there isn't much information about our disease. Are there any foods we should try to avoid besides the normal taboos such as sweets and high fat foods?
Hockeychick mentioned The Zone. Why did your doctor recommend it? Do certain foods in that diet help to increase your metabolism? Quilter in VA recommended eating 6 mini meals / day. Does that also help to increase your metabolism?
Very few women in Norway have Hypothyroidism, so not much information is provided here. My doctor recommended that I make healthier food choices, reduce my portions, and take a 30 min + walk everyday. Basically, she advised me to lose weight gradually this time and to eat with my family. She did not mention any preferred foods for people with our disease.
Another question for you. Have you ever heard of a connection between Hypothyroidism and Rosascea? I developed Rosascea simultaneously with H. Anyone else have both H & R?
Viking Mom
Old 08-14-2003, 03:28 PM   #5  

A great website for thyroid info is www.thyroid.about.com. Limiting soy and raw cabbage, cauliflower and broccoli and other foods in that family is a good idea. They inhibit the thyroid function further. Higher protein is also good and stick to the "good carbs" - whole grains, sweet potatoes, fruit. Avoid white sugar, flour, pasta, rice, potatoes etc. The six meals a day keeps your thyroid funtioning at an even pace.
Old 08-15-2003, 12:40 AM   #6  

Thanks, Susan for the website address. Much appreciated. The precise foods to be avoided are the foods we most often eat in our family, such as potatoes and rice. Who would ever have guessed that broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage were vegetables to avoid? They are so healthy for us otherwise.
Viking Mom
Old 08-16-2003, 08:15 PM   #7  

I am going to check out the website, thanks Susan. I was told that I would be on the medicine for life but nothing about diet. I have noticed that since I have started taking medicine I do not have as much cramping with my periods although the flow has pretty much stayed the same. Anyone else notice any changes anywhere?? DM
Old 08-17-2003, 01:27 AM   #8  

Greetings from Norway!
Do any of you have Rosascea as well? When I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism 12 years ago, I was also diagnosed with Rosascea simultaneously. Both hit me while I was pregnant with my second child. Anyone else become afflicted with H. and R. while pregnant?
Viking Mom
Old 09-04-2003, 09:59 AM   #9  

S/C/G: s195/c176/g150

Hey all, I was just diagnosed with hypothyroid 2 weeks ago. My doctor quickly put me on Synthroid which I have to take for a lifetime. He didn't mention anything to me about low carbs or dieting once I was diagnosed but he has always tried steering me that way. Also, I have heard that after two weeks on Synthroid, the weight is supposed to just melt away....is this not true? Anyone else on Synthroid? What were your results?
Old 09-04-2003, 09:39 PM   #10  

I've been on Synthroyd for almost 4 years and the pounds have NOT just melted away. It's a constant battle of the bulge for me. I have to lose more than 60lbs and it's hard. I've re determined myself to stay on W.W now, it's been 3 wks and I'm only down 2lbs but that's 2 lbs I don't have to tote around anymore. Of course my fat has had time to get very attached to me, so it really doesn't want to leave. Haha
Old 09-07-2003, 07:50 PM   #11  

I have been on meds for 4 months and have not lost any weight. My dr. also did not say anything about avoiding certain foods. etc. DM
Old 09-08-2003, 02:32 PM   #12  

Most doctors don't know much about nutrition. You have to ask for a referral to a Registered Dietician to get real information.

Weight has not just fallen off for me, either, but I can probably gain faster than anyone!
Old 09-09-2003, 08:12 AM   #13  

I went to weight in yesterday and regained half of the two pounds I thought I'd lost. Didn't do anything different, but poof that stupid pound missed me, so it came back. Maybe I can lose it again this week.
Old 09-10-2003, 08:06 AM   #14  

Default Anothery Hypothyroid case here

I was told for many years that my thyroid was normal. I knew that was not the case! I did my research a few months ago and found a list of symptoms because deep down I felt something was not right , losing weight was a struggle, insomnia, hair loss etc. So i did my research on the internet and found a list of the best Thyroid Dr's listed by state. I made an appointment and had the necessary tests and guess what? I WAS RIGHT!! MY THRYOID WAS VERY LOW, IN FACT THE DR. MADE A JOKE AND SAID "IT WAS ASLEEP"..HEHEHE..Never give up and always get a second or even a third opinion if you know something isn't right. The Drug my Dr. chose for me is Armour. I have been taking it for 2 months with gradual increases so far Im up to only 30mg's I think he may up the dose again. NO weight loss here!..But with WW I KNOW I will accomplish my goals
Old 09-10-2003, 06:42 PM   #15  

Your right, with W.W (or any other good diet) and determination I know I'll lose. It may be slow but I'm determined to do this for myself. I told my husband the other day that I'm giving myself a year and, if I don't lose a significant amount I told him I would get lyposuction. I walk at least 30 min. a day not always a mile but I try to do at least a mile. But, 30 min regardless. Funny thing is, I havent lost on the scale but, I feel less bloated so that's good anyway.
Closed Thread