Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2003, 10:26 AM   #31  

Not hiding, just tired and sleepy! Got through the last two days and nights. I had Ross Tues. then stayed at the hospital all night Tues. night - got about 2 hrs. sleep in and out - then had Ross all day yesterday and cooked dinner for FIL, hubby and son (DIL is on school trip). Have Ross again today and have to go to the Dr. and have blood drawn again. MIL is coming home tomorrow so I will have to cook for them over the weekend, too, and all next week I'm sure. I was feeling a little better until today ... guess I've over done it a little this week because I'm really tired today!

It's supposed to storm here tonight!
Old 07-10-2003, 02:00 PM   #32  

Default Hey There

Meme- It looks like you really have overdone it. Somebody else in the family ,maybe, could take some of your load. How is your MIL? I think I would be going to the deli's. We get short rain showers. A good long storm ,we don't get often . The westerly winds from the gulf hold them back in our area.
Take care of yourself...Joanne
Old 07-10-2003, 05:43 PM   #33  

Joanne ... MIL is not doing good today. Ross and I went to see her about 2 and she had just passed out. The nurses had her up taking her to the bathroom and she went out cold on them. They had to carry her back to the bed. They called the Dr. (his office is right accross the street from the hospital). He came over and checked her out. They moved her upstairs where they could moniter her heart. Thought it might be that. I don't know if she will get to come home tomorrow or not now. She is confused, too. I'm wondering if she might have had a light stroke.

No, there isn't anyone else. She had two sons and the other DIL is worse than useless. "SHE WORKS" Get the picture? The other son has a daughter but she has a little baby and works and her husband is in Iraq. My daughter works at the hospital and is being a huge help there. Everyone there knows her including all the Drs. and nurses. She is assistant to the director of nurses so when the nurses see her coming they all practically stand at attention. You should see their attitude change when someone says, "She's Paula's mother." It's really funny. I was in my MIL's room the night I stayed with her when one of the nurses started saying something to the nurse who was taking care of her. She was wanting to patch something instead of getting a new one or something ... I didn't really understand it. The other nurse looked at me and said, "do you know who she is?" She said, No. So she told her I was Paula's mother. She said ... "Oh ... I didn't know that. So ... this is Paula's Grandmother then!" So she went and got a new tube and fixed it right. They were the same way when my mother was in there last year. I don't mind helping out with my in-laws as much as I'm able ... they are both sweet people. It's just that I'm not really able! It'll be easier if we can just get her home!!! They just live right down the road, not even a quarter of a mile from us. Of course, it would be A LOT easier if I didn't have Ross ... but I do and he's a blessing ... I'm not complaining ... I love him so!

Last edited by MemeToo; 07-10-2003 at 05:45 PM.
Old 07-11-2003, 11:00 AM   #34  

Default Hey There

Meme- Family support is so important. You will have a 'star in heaven'. I hope the ones that don't help, that can, feel guilty . You should report those nurses that wanted to just fix the tubing etc. They may do it with another patient with serious results.Every patient should be treated the same no matter who they are or whose G/mother they are.I spent many years nursing and I can tell you there are some horrow stories.
Take care of yourself....Let the rest of her family know they should care too..
Hello everybody.....Joanne
Old 07-11-2003, 12:08 PM   #35  

I'm sure you are right but I don't know enough about what she was doing to report it. I wouldn't even know what where to begin. I'm sure many of them take a lot of short cuts when they can! And I'm sure I wouldn't have known the difference if she had that time!!!

Familys just don't care like they used to. I know back 20-30 years ago it was unheard of for an 82 year old mother to stay alone in the hospital but there are whole floors full of them now. They took care of us for years ... then they get old and we put them in a home and leave them there to die. Some of them never have any company. I just can't do that. I got up at 5:30 this morning and went to the hospital. Helped her with breakfast and was there when the Dr. came. He's keeping her another day. Put her back on a soft-food, semi-liquid diet. They are monitering her heart today to make sure that's not what caused her fainting spell yesterday. He said they got ALL the cancer but said they got it just in time. The tumor was very aggressive and had already eaten half way through the uterus wall!!! My Son-I-L brought me Ross at 9 and I came on home. FIL came up at 9 to stay with her 'till this afternoon but he's not in real good health either. I think her Sister-I-L is supposed to come then.

Well... I'm going to lay down and sleep awhile (if Ross will let me). I've already lost almost 2 nights sleep this week!!! I'm about to get a headache!
Old 07-11-2003, 03:50 PM   #36  

Hi there-I reloaded my computer and lost mostly everything-still didn;t fix problem of not being able to hook up DSL-ordered a new Dell computer and was able to down load server again on old computer by using son's AOL. Anyhow-I'm back . The company that made my computer went out of business. What a fiasco. Meme-I hope you get some rest-this too will pass. I went to TOPS today and nonchalantly asked the leader how her vacation was. She told me her husband drowned while they were away. He had bad Parkinson's. Someone was suppossed to call me but they didn't I feel so bad for her-next week I'll get her a plant. Bye for now Mima
Old 07-11-2003, 04:07 PM   #37  

Angry Hi

Mima - how awful for you. It was a question anyone would have asked and certainly would never have expected that answer. Too bad somebody had not contacted you to let you know. Glad you got all hooked up again. Nothing like PC trouble:lol

Meme - Take it easy. I know you are doing what you have to do. As for "sticking"people in nursing homes or hospitals, I guess I look at that a bit differently. In years gone by, women didn't work like they do now. When my Mom was stricken with Alzheimer's disease, all of us were working full time. Too have 24 hr. assistance cost well over $3000.00 a month and none of us could afford that! She also was diabetic and required insulin shots and also meds for Angina. It was the hardest thing we ever had to do, but it was the best thing for my Mom. She was never left alone that is for sure. She had tons of company.

I hope you were able to get some rest today.

Joanne , Anagram, Candice and Ally - hope you are not having too much pain and are out enjoying the weather.

Here, it is a spectacular day. There is a nice breeze and it should stay like this for a few days anyway, before we get more rain. We seemed to have lots of rain, but the ground is still so very dry. I think it could rain everyday for a whole season and still not get the water table back up.

Everyone have a great day.
Old 07-11-2003, 04:58 PM   #38  

Oh Anne... I did NOT mean it like that. BELIEVE ME! If my mother had not died when she did I would have put her in a rest home in a heart beat! I would not have had a choice. She couldn't eat ... couldn't even swallow. And, besides, I'm not physically able to take care of someone like that. We talked about this last year, remember? I meant there are a lot of people that put their parents in rest homes and just go off and leave them there to die. They sit in there week after week and no one ever even goes to see about them. I could not do that. It would just kill me. I'd have to check on them and make sure they were eating and had what they needed, etc. There are a lot of older people like that in the hospital, too. It's sad.
Old 07-11-2003, 05:11 PM   #39  

Angry Meme

I remember when I had a mobile clothing store for seniors and we went to auxillary hospitals and nursing homes, how people WERE just put in these homes and forgotten - until they got their cheques. Some had nobody. Like I told my partner at the time, Abuse didn't start yesterday and there may be good reason why some of these people have no visitors. They say what goes round comes round.

I, personally, could never do that either.
Old 07-11-2003, 07:34 PM   #40  

Default Hey There

Hello Girls- I was charge nurse in two different nursing(rest) homes the last 18 yrs that I worked. There is nothing that I have not seen. The beds they sleep in are awful plastic covered lumpy mattresses,urine odor all the time. poor care,when the nursing assistants can get away from it and so on and so no. I could write a book. Very few family members visit. It is true that most are put there because family will not take their ongoing abuse . It is not possible in some cases that family cannot care for them. In some cases it is the old trying to care for the old.The aides did not like to see me making rounds. I checked every patient under the covers. I made sure that they got the care they deserved. My director once told me I was hard on the girls. I said too bad. If they do what they should they don't have anything to worry about.
Family members are just as bad in some cases. I had one family member call me long distance and ask me to keep her mother alive till she could get there to get her money's in her name. I couldn't say she would live another hour. She passed away that night. Some family members on the other hand were the best. They would be there all the time and help with care. Some would just come in to help feed the patients. Those you have to love.
I retired 10 years ago. It was past time.
Didn't mean to write a book.. Take care of yourself Meme...
Hello everybody..
Bye...Joanne
Old 07-11-2003, 09:49 PM   #41  

Hi, all. Have been AWOL because I was so bad Monday evening I couldn't show my "face". I had a good day Monday and don't understand why I ever went on such a binge. I do little ones all the time but this was ridiculous. It wasn't even something I'm that crazy about..

Anyway, it's past and I'm getting over being mad at me. Did do three water workouts this week and some gardening. Everything else seemed to go wrong after the binge and we spent the rest of the week (and lots of cash) getting things taken care of.

I have to catch up on all the posts and get "personal" next time. Good weekend all.
Old 07-12-2003, 07:11 AM   #42  

Most nursing homes are the pits I think..my grandmother was in one and as a young child we would go every Sunday after church and visit her...she was in her 90's and just wanted to die. I can still remember the whales and smells of that place, then my dad was in the same place for 8 months afer his stroke and mom could no longer care for him...we went and fed him and would take stuff to brighten up his room. My mom now needs to be in one but my brother still has her at home.

Yes it is cooler here and we got 3 inches of much needed rain but others got way too much and flooding! We have been eating zucchini and cucumbers and I picked a few cherry tomaotes today before I sprayed for insects and fungus. My arms hurt from lugging the gallon sprayer around. Took 4 gallons of stuff to get it all covered! But then we had unforecated rain so not sure if it will take.

The poor fish..he is just resting on the bottom of the tank with his fins dropping and some times looks like he is gasping for air. He just has no energy. I have treated him all I can....maybe it is his time to go like Siwa said....The dog is bad too, she can no longer get up the basement steps or down after we carry her up to go out. I am cleaning up after her all the time..too much for me!

Busy trying to get my sons stuff together for his big move...sheets, towlels pillows, and a few supplies to get him started..Aug 1 will be here before you know it!
Old 07-12-2003, 04:51 PM   #43  

MIL got to come home today!!! She's feeling a lot better. Guess we'll see.

This is where we are going on vacation in October with our daughter and family.

http://www.vacationrentalbyowner.net/listing6.html

I've got to lose some weight before I hit the beach in a bathing suit!!!!!!!
Old 07-12-2003, 04:58 PM   #44  

Meme, we have started a new thread.

I copied your post over to it.
Closed Thread