Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 12:04 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 301/280/199

Happy Monday, Chickies-
I awoke to rain again today. The fifth day in a row! Ouch! I need some sunshine! My dog is tracking wet paw prints on the carpet. She is also happier when the sun is shining. Oh, well, this too shall pass.

I had a good weekend, food-wise. Was able to stay on my plan in spite of eating dinner out Friday and breakfast out Saturday morning. We don't usually eat out so much, but for some reason F-I-L called both times and invited us. It is impossible to tell him no. He pulls the "deaf act" when we try to say no!! He is a 92 year old wonder!

I'm putting all these happy carrots in this post as a way of making me feel more energetic. Hmmm, maybe it's working. I just stopped long enough to put on a load of laundry.

Rosebud- I am going to see if I can figure out how to post a picture of my sister's and her husband's camp. It is just a tiny little house. But I love going there.

Hope you all have some sunshine today!
Spicy
Old 09-14-2009, 05:07 PM   #32  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

HI SPICEY ~ posting a pic is pretty EZ -- just click on the paperclip at the top of the posting page, click on browse and select the picture you want to post, then click on upload; and it does take a few minutes for each picture. Your pics must fit the sizes they show you in the menu box that pops up or it won't work. Then you close the box and click on the paperclip again and they will show you the list you uploaded; it says insert all, and you click on that and the corresponding attachment will show up inside your post. The picture comes up when you have finished your post. Hope this helps you somewhat ...

We had a busy day today -- first, I had to go to the hospital for some tests; they took 5 vials of blood, and DH says that's a good way to lose weight. I also had to do one of those yucky urine samples, but it actually went pretty smoothly this time. I had to fast for these tests since yesterday, so after they were done, DH and I then went to Timmy's (Tim Horton's) for a brunch.

Then I had to go to my dentist appointment right after that, but this was just for a consult and xray. I have to go back in October for a cleaning and November for a root canal for that one where the filling fell out. I got the new younger dentist this time, and we are going to try and save the tooth for as long as we can since I am missing a tooth on the bottom, as I gotta have something to chew my food with. So everything went well there and I had total peace about it.

After that, we went up town and did our weekly shopping early since we were up there anyways; so I got a good amount of walking in today as well (kudos for that). Ate good today (even with having a brunch out as I only had something small); credit moi ...

Now my feet are pretty sore and so I am taking it easy. Our car is in need of repairs again: we have a couple of leaks somewhere. We are losing our antifreeze and I can smell gas for some reason every time we hit a bump or put gas in, so the car is going into the garage tomorrow AM. I hope we'll be able to survive this bill as it could be a costly one, but we have to keep reminding ourselves that it's better than a car payment.

Tomorrow, I will be staying home keeping busy doing laundry and a few housechores while the car gets fixed. One that is all fixed up, then we will be able to go do some work on the camper again. We only have the roof seam to do before the snow falls; actually we don't really know if it is leaking or not anymore, but it is just a precautionary measure, just in case.

Hope all you ladies have A TERRIFIC TUESDAY tomorrow and take good care ... ROSEBUD
Old 09-14-2009, 07:00 PM   #33  

2Maries camp.jpg

Maybe I have done this correctly and you can see my sister's camp. What you can't see is that there is a lake in front of it, and a river runs behind it. Very peaceful place with good fishing.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:51 PM   #34  
Rosebud

SPICEY ... Actually, I have seen the lake becuz I peeked into your profile and their is a picture of the house with the lake in front of it in there. I looked in there to see what state you lived in, as DH asked my where your sister's camp was. Here's a picture of our camper when we first got it; you can see the crab apple tree that we planted is in front of it, but it is actually about 6-10 feet away ...

We don't have a lake right on our lot, but there are two lakes less than 2 miles away, plus a few creeks and streams as well; and you can get to them all by ATV.

The other pictures are of flowers that I grew in baskets last year: red & pink geraniums; purple and pink petunias; and marigolds too. My sister told me an easier way to downsize the pictures to fit the limit, so I was able to do a bunch last night that I had wanted to post before.

camper #3wbJPG.JPGpink geraniums closeup 4wb.JPGmix of flowers 1w.JPGpretty petunias 1wb.JPG

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 09-14-2009 at 09:01 PM.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:58 PM   #35  

Rosebud- Tell your husband that my sister's camp is in south Louisiana. I live in west-central Arkansas.
I loved seeing your pictures. Thanks for putting them up. Now that I know how to put pictures here, I will try to add more from time to time.
spicy
Old 09-15-2009, 09:24 PM   #36  
Rosebud

HI LADIES ~ well, we had an overcast day, but no rain fell; dark ominous clouds showed up later on but nothing. The sun did peek out for a short while and that was nice. Had to put my little mini-heater on just for a few minutes today as the temps were cooler than normal for this time of year (only in the 50's F).

I spent the morning doing laundry and prepared our roast pork and chicken dinner ahead with lots of veggies and new potatoes; it was delish. I had everything ready by early afternoon then took a rest for my legs and back today. Must have been the cool weather bothering my lower back; that often happens. The oven and dryer warmed things up pretty good for us today.

SPICY ~ do you have many bugs down in Lousianna where the camp house is? We are going to put a porch on our cottage (screened and windowed) so we can avoid the midsummer ones. One thing that is nice about fall is that they finally leave; it is really nice for sitting out on the deck right now even if it is a bit cooler. The camper is nice too; no buggies in there ... yeah!!!

The car went into the garage first thing this AM; we had some good news that if the antifreeze leak was from the manifold (which we just replaced last year), then they will replace it free for us becuz it shouldn't be leaking in less than one year. The garage was pretty busy and didn't call us today so maybe they won't get to look at it until tomorrow.

Thank goodness we had all our errands and appointments done for the week; the only thing we forgot to pick up was bottled water but we have enuff to last at least a week or two I think ... Tomorrow I hope to make some curtains for the bathroom of our camper trailer and when the car gets fixed up DH will be putting in some shelves in a cupboard for me and a few other small repairs and modifications that we need.

Not much else going on around here right now; pretty quiet on the home front. Hope everyone is having a great week and please do have A WONDERFUL WEDNESDAY tomorrow ...ROSEBUD

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 09-15-2009 at 09:26 PM.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:35 PM   #37  
Rosebud

HI LADIES ~ well, we had a lovely day here with nice temps, so we decided to wash our windows for the fall, and that took most of the morning. This afternoon, I worked on curtains for the bathroom of our camper trailer -- they are all cut up, now I just have to do the finishing and trim.

I tried to use my sewing machine today, but for some reason that I can't figure out right now, it wouldn't sew for me; I'll have to dig out my book (hope I can find it) and see what that says. In the meantime, I think I start on the tie-backs and do them by hand just to get some of it done.

The mechanic called and he does think the problem in our car was caused by the manifold, and he verified that since we just put a new one in last fall, it is still under warranty, so it will be replaced for free; so that leaves us just the labor costs, and hopefully that is all it will be. The parts will be in tomorrow and they will be able to do the work tomorrow then as well.

DH just came back from helping a friend with some plumbing in their house; he's earning a lot of bonus points -- or should I say ... gold stars with GOD for all the favors and help he gives to other people, and I'm sure GOD will bless him for it too ...

We had creamy mushroom pasta with mini-meatballs for dinner tonight; and I did have a good OP day too. Got lots of exercise in doing the windows, doors, etc this AM (kudos for that); it all counts since it's extra stuff we don't do on a regular basis. My right shoulder was a bit sore afterwards: from an old injury acting up on me again ...

Time for me to rest up my legs and feet; maybe do a bit more sewing too. Hope you all have a very pleasant day tomorrow! Take good care of yourselves and have a nice evening too ... ROSEBUD

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 09-16-2009 at 07:46 PM.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:36 PM   #38  
Rosebud

HI LADIES ~ well, our day started out with , but then dark clouds rolled in and we have had since this afternoon. Just did stuff around here today; actually, didn't do that much -- just taking it easy after two busy days to rest my body a bit.

We had a lot of leftovers today: leftover pasta for lunch; and for dinner, I had roasted veggies with chicken breast and DH had same with roast pork and new tators. I had a small romaine salad for my appetizer, and that filled me up so that I ate less for dinner. So kept on plan really well today!

Now I am off to do a bit more exercise, as DH has some nice bouncy music playing. I did my toners this AM and some hand weights this aft. Then will have some tea and do some hand sewing of my curtains again tonight; it is very relaxing sewing by hand -- I actually prefer it and I can rest my legs at the same time.

Hope you all have a fabulous Friday tomorrow!!! Take good care of yourselves ... ROSEBUD
Old 09-17-2009, 08:51 PM   #39  
Rosebud

HI SPICY ~ hope you are having a great day!

HIYA VAL ~ TGIF ... hope you had a great week up there in Thompson!

HI there, MEOWEE ~ sure hope that you are feeling heaps better these days; take good care of yourself!

HI RONNIE ~ glad to hear that things are going much better for you and yours at this time!

HEY to PURPLE ~ prayers for a safe and fun-filled holiday with family!

HI to all our VISITORS who drop by for a look-see now and then ... have a great evening!

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 09-17-2009 at 08:58 PM.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:02 AM   #40  
wishin' for sun!

S/C/G: 260/see slider/135

Height: 5'1"

Hi, Everyone! It's been awhile since I've had more than a couple minutes to read and run here, so I've been missing you all. It's just busy this time of year with schooling and football and gardening to finish and veggies to freeze. I've been freezing tomato juice with celery and onions to use for soups and chili through the winter, as well as freezing my yellow bell peppers. Then, there have also been some different houses on the market in the last couple weeks, so we've spent some time looking at houses hoping to find something that ALL of us would like and make an offer on so we could move.

DS2's football team have won all 3 games so far this season, and the reserve team (which he plays on also) ended their game in a tie, so it's been a good season so far-tonight's game is against a bigger school, so hoping for a win, but we'll see.

DS3's got a cold and is feeling poorly today, so may have to make him some chicken soup! DH, DS1, and DS3 all had birthdays this month, too! Too much going on here!!

Rosebud--your 'camp' and flowers look great! You and your DH sure keep busy too and it's nice that you are able to help out others, too. I enjoy reading what you cook-it gives me ideas to add to what I make. Thanks for keeping this thread going while some of us have been scarce.

Val-Sounds like you've had a nice time traveling, but hope you aren't too worn out from it, as I know going anywhere in a vehicle is just wearing on the body.

Purple-hope you're enjoying your holiday! And, hope you have some nice stories to tell us when you get back

Spicy-I've enjoyed getting to know you from your posts. Your sis's camp looks like a really nice place to get away and relax. And, you live in the same state our favorite Nascar driver is from (Mark Martin). Congrats on keeping with your plan! It's nice to see the weight come off, but even more important to realize that even when the pounds don't come off quickly, you're getting healthier.

Hi too Numpster, Meowee and everyone else too! Hope everyone has a great weekend. Probably won't be able to get on here, as we may have to head to MN at some point. Later!
Old 09-18-2009, 07:43 PM   #41  

Day 9 of no sunshine and rain, rain, rain! But things are looking up as the weatherman promises a "somewhat dry" weekend--- whatever that means!

Okay, I made a big step. I asked that the scale be removed from the bathroom and hidden away. It was like making me crazy. I'll weigh at the end of the month. I am such an obssessive person!

Rosebud- yes to bugs in Louisiana. Mostly mosquitoes, some spiders, and mostly in the summer. Most camps have screened windows and doors and the owners use lots of citronella candles and bug spray.

Purple- I have a new British mystery to read as soon as I finish what I've got going. It's by Colin Dexter. An Inspector Morse story--- are you familiar with those books?

Nice to meet you, Ronnie. Looking forward to getting to know you.

Now... for the report on eating. I'm doing well. I did have a "planned slip" yesterday. I got one of those fancy coffee drinks, the ones with the whipped cream and about a gazillion calories. It was great, but guess what? It made me sick! I guess it was just too rich to stay inside of me!! I laughed at myself. I cheat and it gets me sick!! Learned my lesson there!

Hope all of you have nice weekends without overeating!
Spicy
Old 09-18-2009, 11:10 PM   #42  
Rosebud

HI LADIES ~ we had a nice day today; it was a bit cool, but with a sweater or shawl on, it wasn't too bad. We spent the day waiting with baited-breath to hear the verdict on our car; we couldn't understand what was taking them so long as it was in the garage since Tuesday.

Turns out the younger mechanics tried to find the leek and couldn't find it, until the boss returned and put lights all around the car. They think it was coming from a broken seal on the bottom of the manifold; so they have to be extra careful when installing the new one to make sure nothing goes wrong, but that means that we won't get our car back until Monday ... eeks!!!

DH had fish & chips for dinner; and I had light baked chicken balls and baked egg rolls with a romaine salad for dinner. A fun dinner for a Friday night since we were bound to the house, but still healthy enuff too. Since we had no car, DH rode his bike all over today and got very tired, so he was off to bed early tonight.

SPICY ~ sometimes we don't have something for awhile, then when we try it again, we find that we don't like it anymore. I now find french fries to be boring and tasteless; so I no longer want to eat them. Yes, the scale can be more of a hindrance sometimes; I am just weighing myself once in a blue moon; going for size victories instead ... I have always preferred that way.

HI AGAIN, RONNI ~ hope DS3 gets over his cold soon; DH has one too and went to bed early with that as he was very tired. DS2's team is doing well this year. DH and I try to keep busy all the time; we both get bored silly if we have nothing to do -- plus I don't want to start mindless munching from boredom!

Not much else going on here; it's a bit cooler tonight here. Have brought out my little mini-heater to warm me up if needs be; have my shawl handy too. Fall is here for sure with it's cool temps, but I still like this time of year anyways. Hope you all a wonderful weekend!Take good care ... ROSEBUD
Old 09-19-2009, 08:29 PM   #43  
Rosebud

HI LADIES ~ We had a beautiful day here so NIKO and I sat on the porch twice to catch some rays! I did some more sewing on my curtains; one set is done and just one more left to do, so will work on that this evening again. I tried to find my instruction manual for my sewing machine this afternoon but couldn't find it: that was just another thing that went missing when we moved last fall.

I will likely do them all by hand; and I am learning some tricks to improve my sewing while I am at it, so this has turned out to be a benefit really. This is likely what folks did many years ago before sewing machines were ever invented. I really don't mind as it is very relaxing ...

Did my toning exercises and some other indoor exercises today while DH went fishing at a nearby lake. He met someone there from way down south who was looking for land to build a house on, and DH took him to someone we know that had some for sale and they have struck a tentative deal. He didn't catch any fish though -- but maybe next time.

Saturday is our fun and lazy night -- we can have whatever we want, but it has to be something that is quick and easy! So we had chicken burgers with crispy bacon and cheese. They were really good and so big as they don't shrink like beef ones do. We had one each on a whole wheat roll and I had a bit of coleslaw with mine.

DH has some funky music playing and NIKO just came running out of there; guess he is getting tired of dancing with DH ... ha ha! It is so funny and cute ... The whole bunch of us get going at it sometimes and it good fun, good exercise, and good for laughs too!

Hope you all have a Super Saturday Night and a great weekend all round -- take good care ... ROSEBUD

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 09-19-2009 at 08:32 PM.
Old 09-20-2009, 05:05 AM   #44  
MSer living healthy

S/C/G: 300/176/170

Height: 5ft 8in

Hi Ladies

Wow that 10 days went so quickly but it always does when your having fun. I don't have any photographs unfortunately as I forgot to take the camera on holiday

My holiday was spent in a log cabin as you know nestled in woodland and over looking a small lake very picturesque I must say. The only downside I would say was there was a pig farm some 1.5 miles down the road from where were were staying. If the wind was blowing in the wrong direction you had the lovely country air smell of pig slurry Though that is all part and parcel of being in the countryside just because I live more now in a city I spent my childhood and teenage years in the countryside. This was as both sets of grandparents lived in the countryside well they both lived in this very small village if I said it had 30 house I would exaggerating I think. So I know of the smells that can be created in the countryside farming.

We went out every day to a different place to have a look around. One day we went to Elland Road which won't mean a thing to people who do not follow English football (soccer). This is the name of the stadium that my DH football team plays at as he follows Leeds United Football Club. Not that he gets to go to any matches but he follow them by looking at their scores reading all the news of players etc at the club. Well when we went to Elland Road we went to the supporter club shop. Oh my DH was like a kid in a candy shop trying to select what he wanted. In the end it was a cotton Tee shirt , 2 mugs and a mouse mat. Though I think he would have bought the shop if he could. I could see that DH was so happy in the shop and to be near his beloved Leeds United Football Club Stadium. Unfortunately football here as a spectator is mega expensive. Just for a season ticket for one year to see the home games (23 of them in all) it costs over £600 and that is the cheaper way to see all home games. Yikes when you work that out it still comes to over £26 per game. Once upon a time it was a working man's game to come a watch with affordable prices. Though the astronomic prices clubs pay players and pay for transfers is more than we would ever get in a life time of full time work Money in my opinion spoilt the game before the players used to get a very good working wage a little more than the ordinary working man. This was as their working career was short so they could put a little away which would tide them over till they got a new career once football had finished. So to pay to get into the game was affordable and you could take the family.

Needless to say I have been naughty with food over the holiday period but yesterday on returning straight back on the straight and narrow. So health wholesome food. I stepped on the scales this morning really expected to see a weight gain and to my surprise none. I think my saving grace was the walking I have walked so much during this holiday. I would imagine that all the little walks in a day would have added up to well over a 1.5 miles maybe more. Plus I seldom had energy to walk with Rizzie several times a day so that job fell to DH. So I think the walking kept the weight off but the food at the end of the day was not all healthy Did manage 3 or 4 salads for tea with no bread. Before going away I did buy some no added sugar cake from the farmers market. Wow the fruit cake was wonderful so moist and tasty you would never have guessed there was no added sugar in it. I suppose the dried fruit like sultanas, currants and raisins sweetened it naturally.

Talking of Rizzie he adored the holiday with all the different sights, smells and new territory to explore. On the log cabin site there were several families also had a Staffordshire bull terriers the same breed a our Rizzie. We had a wooden balcony with table and chairs so we put the plastic table up at the steps so if the door came open he would not wander anywhere. To be honest he could have hurdled the table very easily. Though it is normally enough to deter him in any antics like that. Plus he had the added bonus of having my father with him. He loves my Dad to bits as he spoils him rotten. We have nicknamed my Dad "Mr Softie" because Rizzie has him spoiling so rotten and Rizzie knows full well where to go for all the little tit bits, treats etc. I am sure if he was stopping with Dad full time he would put on stones in weight our Rizzie. When we were away he barely ate any of his own food, yet when we got home I put some fresh food and water down. Rizzie woofed the lot down in record speed eating more in one day in biscuits than he did for the whole holiday.

The holiday has taken its toll on me as I am now very tired and in need of my oxygen treatment. So only a few more days for me to top up the oxygen and hopefully regain some energy.

ROSEBUD Well you had me well and truly I always thought when you said a camper that you and your DH own it was something else. I think you may know them as RV thinking about it (photo included just in case I have the wrong name by the way this to me is a mobile home) What you know as campers to me is a caravan which can be towed by a car or a van. On the holiday site we were on there were some static caravans which stay in the same position as they are to big to move unless you move them on the back of a lorry (truck)

The photographs of the flowers were beautiful you certainly have some green fingers I can kill a flower I think by looking at it My parents and sister have green fingers but it passed me by in the gene pool. I certainly wished I did have these skills as they are useful to have not to mention lovely vegetables or the wonderful splash of colours that you have shown us.

SPICY I have not read the Colin Dexter books but have cheated and watched the television dramatisation of the books with John Thaw who played Morse. Apparently in every dramatisation of each book Colin Dexter use to play an "extra actor" with a bit part. For example playing a customer in the pub or playing a tramp. Avid reader of these books loved to try and spot him in the drama. If dramatisation of Morse is as good as the book you would have had a good read keeping you guessing who done it right till the end. We now have a spin off drama called Lewis which is the side kick to Morse and it is him solving the crimes. Very much in line with Morse keeping that formula. I did not think I would like it as much but I was wrong.

Yes I know what you mean after weeks of clean living food wise eating rich food then can have a negative effect. Good deterrent for the future I suppose and helps keep us on the right path. I use to have a very sweet tooth and would always pick the most sickly sweet choice on the menu. Though now I find them too sweet and wonder why I ever liked them.

RONNIE Sounds like the colds are visiting your home at the minute. I hope it misses you by, things like that can knock you off your feet and effect you more than others. You made me think it soon will be my flu vaccination end of October beginning of November. I think I have had it now for the past 4 or 5 years on the advice of my doctor. I hope everyone get better soon.

you are going to be kept busy the next few weeks with birthday celebrations of family.

I had a lovely holiday which went by rather quickly. In the evenings we would play cards so 2 or 3 hours would whizz by at a fast pace of knots. We have always played card, board games etc since being little so it is second nature to fill our time in the evening doing this.

We did go out one evening for a pizza (first time for my parents who loved it by the way) so I selected a small individual one and had a vegetarian option. So that was a nice change for the holiday and we all had a grand time. We went to the sea side one day but it blew like gale force 9 off the sea and took me all my time to stand up so I look like I was drunk So we went for a fish and chip lunch in a restaurant and decided to go to a town further inland. Great choice and we had a lovely afternoon there. Walked off some of those calories

VAL Hope your having a wonderful time away and it is not too draining on you.

Time to get up and wash the pots up from breakfast Plus go and get dressed I am in my night attire at the moment. My feet are starting to feel like blocks of ice Bye for now sure have missed my daily visits take care ladies till next time

purpleorc

Old 09-20-2009, 08:24 PM   #45  
Rosebud

HI PURPLE ~ wow -- has it been 10 days already? We have been keeping busy, so I didn't notice that but I did remember that you said that you would be back on Saturday. Glad that you had such a grand time with your family and your cottage by the lake sounds fab. Oh too bad that you forgot your camera; that would be the first thing I put in my bag: shucks ... we would have loved to see pics of that ...

Nice to have you back too! Yes, what you call a caravan is what is called a Camper-Trailer here. The picture you showed us would be called a "Camper-Van" here; and the longer ones are called Winnebago Campers. There are lots of longer camper trailers, but ours is 20' and is more than adequate for us as there is only two of us. It has a full 4-piece washroom on the left end; a kitchen with table & benches in the middle; and a livingroom (/bedroom) on the rest of the right side. It is quite roomy really -- feels kinda like a mini-apartment. It needed a few minor repairs and modifications, and we have done some already; we hope to have them done before winter sets in.

I have been working on the curtains for the bathroom all weekend and I am almost done. I decided to take a break and come in and visit here for a bit. We had a lovely dinner tonight: I had steak & DH had a boneless pork chop. He had potatoes and veggies with his and I had button mushrooms & onions & veggies with mine ... very filling and very healthy!

I have heard of the Inspector Morse shows as well; I think that I may have even seen some of them. When we had an antennae, we got to see many shows like that on TVO that hailed from England. The books often have many more details, but the shows are fun to watch too.

Well that's all the news for now; hope you all have a marvellous Monday, and a grand week too ... ROSEBUD

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 09-20-2009 at 08:27 PM.
Closed Thread