Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 07:38 AM   #61  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Good Morning . . .

Looks like this morning will mark the end of our sunshine for a few days . . . but, we are supposed to keep double digit (only just) temperatures (50 F) right through next week. Everything has it's price I guess.

Speaking of paying the price; I'm happy to report that the BGL is still terrific and the good old scale- dropped a couple of those www pounds this morning, too.

Nothing too exciting for me today -- a few more errands to run while the sun is almost shining and then a nice quiet weekend.

Hope you all have a Fabulous Friday . . .
Old 10-24-2008, 12:16 PM   #62  
MSer living healthy

S/C/G: 300/176/170

Height: 5ft 8in

Hi Ladies

Well slept like a baby this morning I was absolutely shattered come bed time I was in bed for about 10.30pm and slept until 10am. If it was not for the telephone this morning ringing I would have not been up then I think. Three early mornings in a row has eventually taken there toll on me. It sounds like we are going to be busy mostly up until Christmas. Due to one company a chain of cinemas opening and they all order been bags. The next order which is a big one of around 80+ bean bags which comes to around $20000 or just more for the order is not to be sniffed at. With such big orders costing thousands we are helping with a lot of these deliveries to make sure they arrive safely and on time to this customer who is spending so much money with them. Then also at this time of year things get busier as people soon start looking for buying gifts on-line for friends and family. So the business get progressively busier as a result so we help out more. Though in January and February it is normally a quiet period of the year.

MEOWEE
Great news that your blood sugar levels have sorted themselves out such a shame it resulted going on insulin injects to achieve this. Glad the scales were kinder to you this morning. I think you gave me a pound as I was up one pound this morning on my weight in. Though I think TOM is to blame for mine.

ROSEBUD I know when I have moved in the past I write list of people I have to contact and then work from this note pad. writing names of people I have spoken to and a big tick if that task has been sorted. Even after moving I keep this piece of paper(s) with my filed papers that way I have a reference just in case of any hiccups that occur.

I can understand how it so stressful it is and a respite was needed to recharge batteries. It is know by research to be one of the most stressful times in ones life another is having a child. I see how these big life changing events have so much organising to do which is never straight forward as you would like them to be is so stressing. How these people cope who love moving home every few years or so I shall never know they must thrive on stress is all I can say.

It has been a beautiful day today and went out for a meal today. I have been officially naughty today but it was my birthday so I think it is allowed once a year well that is my excuse and I am sticking to it. Now back to earth with a bump as I go back to healthy eating for the rest of the day. I must admit I am still not one bit hungry after having that meal so that is good some of the extra calories will be spread over the day. I think I will have tea/supper as one meal later on tonight.

I have now got to go and make some flaxseed muffins for my DH for tea/supper. I think I will make some blueberry muffin for a change. So bye for now ladies and take care. But first a big hello to Valdine and Caffieneiv till next time
purpleorc

Last edited by purpleorc; 10-24-2008 at 12:55 PM.
Old 10-24-2008, 03:49 PM   #63  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, PURPLE !!!

Of course, I didn't remember that you are an OCTOBER baby too; you probably told me, but with so much going on, I forgot ~ lol! I'm so glad that you celebrated and enjoyed yourself; yes, your birthday is only one day a year, so that shouldn't make a difference over the week.

Thanks for all the tips for moving and changing things; I had to arrange for things like the 'WAVING' of new large deposits; and even though I always do the books and pay the bills, I have to have the accounts in my name also, in order to be able to talk with the companies about our bills. Sometimes, I think there are too many rules and too many laws for our own good; and too much legislating going on. OK ... that's my rant for this week ~ lol!

This morning, I had to wash our livingroom rug as one of our heating valves broke and leaked water over 1/3 of the room. Yesterday, I had to RE-PACK about half a dozen or so boxes, as they were ruined. Thank goodness that we bought that rug cleaning machine some time ago; it has turned out to be so handy. Our new place doesn't have too many rugs; the landlord is taking the rugs out of the bedrooms, and putting in new flooring. So, the only rug left will be in the back porch.

I also made some muffins for DH today; today, I put in apple chunks, raisins, and a few dried cranberries on top. I also cut down the amount of sugar to 1/2 cup and put in 1/2 cup sugarfree applesauce instead. They tasted just as good as the others, so I'm going to keep making them that way.

MEOWEE ~ glad to hear those sugar levels are stable and you lost a couple of pounds; PURPLE was right: they were probably just water-weight pounds after all ...

HIYA VALDINE ~ how's the weather up in Thompson these days? Have you still bare ground right now? How much daylight do you have? DH says the far north often loses a lot of their daylight at this time of year. Hope you have a fun and restful weekend.

Well, the sun was out for the morning at least and the clouds started to roll in this afternoon. DH is cleaning up the yard and finally finished taking down our garden fence: that's the wood we are using to have our bonfires. Got enuff for a couple more, I think. I have just one more box to repack; it was books, so I let them air out overnight.

Hope all you ladies have a great Friday night, and a great weekend too; take good care, your friend ROSEBUD

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 10-24-2008 at 03:55 PM.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:08 AM   #64  
MSer living healthy

Hi Ladies

Went to do my morning exercise today and incorporate getting something from the shop that I had forgotten. I had forgotten some stuffing which I use to make pork in stuffing. We just got back in time before the heavens opened and it poured it down with rain So I was saved from looking like a drowned rat I enjoyed the walk but it was cold else I would have stopped half way to have a coffee outside at the cafe. We have the furry baby so we have to stop outside

This afternoon went to Macro I think that is how it is spelt. I walked loads in there but by the end I was shattered and my balance was non existent I am sure folk thought I was drunk So now I am lazing having a coffee just arrived home. Mind you I have put the dinner on which is the pork in stuffing with loads of steamed vegetables. Last night I spent a while preparing all my fresh vegetables for the next couple of days or so. So hence now I just go to the fridge and voilą my vegetables are preprepared so that makes life that little bit easier. I have done the hoovering already today as well. I do have some muffins to make for myself but I may tackle them tomorrow. I think the way I feel the ironing will get pushed over to tomorrow as well.

Received a couple of good freebies the last couple of days which are a good sized bottle of shower gel by Radox (50mls) and 15ml bottle of perfume by obsession. I go on a site where freebies are advertised and periodically I do get thing come through which are nice trials sizes of the product to try.

ROSEBUD Thanks so much for my birthday wishes I did not expect you to remember my birthday as you have enough on your hands with the move. I know how consuming that is and stressful. Thanks for taking the time to wish my a happy birthday. I had a lovely day relaxing with my DH the meal was naughty but so nice But as you say in the grand scheme of things I am sure that with healthy eating this week the calories will be swallowed up and I will probably stay at the same weight.

That was a mini disaster the water valve leaking over your prepacked things making you have to mop up, wash the rug and re pack the boxes. That is all you need to pack more boxes as if you do not have enough to do!

The muffins sound gorgeous and good idea to reduce the sugar but sweeten it with natural sweetness of the apples. I tweak my recipes to make them healthier or more nutritious for the calories.

Time to go and finish the remainder of the dinner before we have burnt offering . I am going to relax after having this dinner as I am tired now. Mind you I might get my second wind later with a bit of nice food inside me Bye ladies

purpleorc
Old 10-25-2008, 06:03 PM   #65  
Rosebud

HI LADIES ~ well, GOD sent the sun out for us today, as when we woke up it had been raining and their was a cold wind. So I prayed about it, becuz I didn't want to go to town in that, and by the time I had breakfast and was dressed, those prayers were answered -- all the clouds had moved away and the sun came out for the rest of the day. DH couldn't believe how fast those clouds were moving; and I just said ^^thanks^^ once again!!!

We decided to go today becuz we wanted to go to a mini-party up town; the second-hand shop we go to is now under new management and had new staff et al, and they were having a get together, so we went and had free Tim Horton's coffee and there were lots of homemade baked goodies too. DH had a blueberry muffin and I had rice crispie squares as they are pretty low in calories. There was lots of friendly people there and it was fun.

We also went shopping and I picked up a couple of pairs of pants for the winter and DH got some extra-tough socks for the winter. Then we came home as I had done a lot of walking and my feet were sore, so I had fun and got some walking in today too.

PURPLE ~ sounds like you had a busy day today too; and lots of walking in for you as well. Oh, I love the perfume OBSESSION: it is my favorite; good for you getting yourself a free sample. I'm sure it will be one of your favorites now too.

MEOWEE and VALDINE ~ hope you both are having a wonderful day!!!

Some big, strong guys came over today to help DH move some heavy things; he was so grateful for their help. And it is such a relief that the last of his yard work is now done before our move; he was getting concerned how he was going to move them, as he is a slighter built man. He gave them a tip for their goodness.

We are just going to have a restful Saturday night and if DH feels like it, he may do a bonfire again tonight. Take good care ladies, your friend ROSEBUD
Old 10-26-2008, 05:50 AM   #66  
MSer living healthy

Hi chickadees

Well dreary day here and it hasn't stopped raining all night and it is forecast for the rest of the day. So no washing for me today. I want to do some bed clothes and the towels. I prefer them dried outside if I can but not always possible in winter.

Last night our clocks went back one hour so got that extra hour in bed last night. So for a week or so my internal body clock is going to get some adjusting too the new hour.

Managed to do all my chores in the end. Did get a second wind later in the evening so I used it to my advantage. Cooked some blueberry muffins they were yummy good job I have froze the rest to stop me going munching them aimlessly. Need to buy some muffin cases next time I go shopping used my last ones up last night. Even managed to do the ironing not that there was loads but I try not to let it build up else it is too much for me standing there ironing for long while. I could use my perching stool to make it a little easier but I prefer to stand.

ROSEBUD That was nice to get a free coffee of Tim Horton's I have vaguely heard of this brand at the hospital near me they did sell for a while in one of the shops some of the doughnuts and other sugary confectionery. We use to have a coffee at this shop but it was not Tim Horton's. I don't know if the coffee is like Starbucks which I love but costs a pack around here so needless to say it is high days and holidays I get one of those I bet it was nice to get away for a short time from the stress of moving. A nice pleasant way to recharge the batteries.

Yes looking forward to using the perfume that I had as a freebie. I like it when I get free fragrances as I love perfume and hate to go out without it. I feel kind of naked without it. Even more so now I seem to take much more pride in my appearance down to the jewelry matching what I am wearing and socks if I am in trousers.

After my week of being more off plan than on it I am now come to down to earth with a bump yesterday the first day of eating on plan and it didn't go down too well I know it will get easier once my body has detoxified from the junk and then it doesn't crave it. Otherwise I crave all the sweet things which are absolutely no good for me. I think another couple of days and the cravings will go. So I need to drink plenty to flush it out of my system. I have turkey breast today with steamed vegetables for lunch today. Then I have a fat free well virtually fat free yogurt for a snack later. I will then have plenty of fruit later as I have neglected my fruit intake for this week.

Right time to go and sling the hoover round well not literally but do the hoovering. Our beloved hound as made more mess than 4 children put together So bye and take care

purpleorc
Old 10-26-2008, 04:51 PM   #67  
Onward and Downward

Sorry I've been a bit MIA -- small family emergency -- nothing devastating; just very time consuming. Hopefully life is now back to whatever passes for normal around here.

Take care, all -- see you tomorrow --
Old 10-26-2008, 10:20 PM   #68  
Rosebud

GOOD EVENING LADIES ~ well, we had sunshine for the morning then this afternoon, big dark clouds rolled in and we had a good shower. It is getting dark much earlier now, and it seems so weird, but we'll all have to adjust. Dh and I decided that we should just get up a bit earlier, but I noticed that it was still darkish at 8am this morning. I usually go to bed around midnight and get up at 8 am.

PURPLE ~ we normally turn our clocks back at this time too, but this year they decided to delay it a week until after Halloween for some reason; who knows, it may be for the kids? I'm not really sure ...

It does take some adjustment though, to have an extra hour in the day. But it will be getting dark by 5 pm instead of 6 pm; is that better??? I dunno. Maybe it will be light around 7 am instead of 8 pm. I guess somebody somewhere thinks this is a good idea for some reason; hope they are right.

HI MEWOEE ~ yes, I thought that something might be up; hope everything is OK for you and yours. Glad you are back ...

HIYA VAL ~ Hope everything is going OK for you too CHICKIE. I know the darkness is creeping in here, so it must be up there even more so. Maybe you could find an older mentor who can help you and show you the ropes at city hall; someone you can trust who could give you some advice too. That would be so nice for you. Hope you had a good weekend; drop by for a minute just to let us know how you are.

Well, both DH and I got some stuff done today; as yesterday was more of a fun day for us both. DH was packing some of his indoor stuff/junk ~ lol! I did some laundry and washed the kitchen floor as the rain made things really mucky; and our little furry baby scurried across our white kitchen floor with his muddy paws, as DH let him off his leash ~ lol; fun, fun, fun!

I really enjoy having NIKO around, even if there are some small accidents like that; he is doing well in his training, learning more and more with each passing week. He is very smart and knows every command we have taught him so far; he just likes to ignore us now and then, but with some firmness of tone, he hops to it quite quick ~ LOL!!! Really, he's a good boy!

Well, that's all the news from here for now; take good care ladies, your friend ROSEBUD
Old 10-27-2008, 08:33 AM   #69  
MSer living healthy

Hello fellow chickadees

Lovely morning today with brilliant sunshine . Does not have the heat like in summer but still glorious never the less. I have taken the opportunity to wash some bits and pieces. Just waiting for the laundry to finish in the washing machine then out on the line. I have already put out the towels so this is the remainder. Mind you I bet me putting my washing out will make it rain I bet the neighbours will love me as I notice many have their washing pegged on the line So ladies last warning purpleorc is putting her washing out

I will have a shower later tonight and wash my hair in readiness for tomorrow. I can't be showering in the morning. Gone are the days of wash and go Now I need a good to get me going especially at 7.30am. I was tired last night for no reason was falling asleep watching antique roadshow which was from a village some 16 miles away. It was held at Southwell Minster a beautiful church of cathedral proportions. So with being so near to home I wanted to see this episode.

I am in the process of cooking dinner we have having roast beef with steamed vegetables. Then some stewed rhubarb with zero fat Greek yogurt. It has been a while since we had some rhubarb so looking forward to it. I am making enough dinner for 2 days so I have something easy to hand for Tuesday on returning from the MS centre. Though it will be healthy and home cooked. Will take a muffin for me and DH to take to the centre to have over lunch time with a coffee.

MEOWEE ~ Sorry to hear that you have had a mini emergency in the family. Lets hope in the next few days things settle back to normal for you and your family. Then you have a bit more time for yourself and family in general.

ROSEBUD ~ This year the turning of the clocks is a little earlier this year once in a while it ends up very close to my birthday. Then other times it is like a weeks away. Never sure how they come to the decision to the date. I think some one sticks a pin in a hey presto we will have this date this year

We have had daylight saving ever since the first world war I think it was introduced but never bothered to change it back when the war ended. Our licencing laws on what time pubs or places that sold alcohol could be open was governed by strict laws and that came in during the first world war. It was only relaxed in the last couple of years. Though still rigidly enforced is the not selling of alcohol on good Friday till after 3pm. If you go in a Supermarket on the day the aisle is all cordoned off so the public can not go down there.

Speaking of the first world war the paper poppies have gone on sale in readiness for the remembrance Sunday which will be the nearest Sunday to 11 November. Though still adhered through public places is the 2 minutes silence is held on 11 November at 11am. It did use to be one minutes silence but since we are in conflict with Iraq then it has been up to 2 minutes for our lost service men and women.

Time to go and put on the dinner and put my hair up. It is just plaited from going to bed as this is how I sleep. I find it tangles my hair the least if I plait it. Bye bye fellow chicks till next time

purpleorc
Old 10-27-2008, 04:45 PM   #70  
Onward and Downward

Using my laptop today and the slightly smaller keyboard is driving me nuts.

Other than that . . . dull and boring day after the excitement over the weekend. Also, dull and rainy weather, but it`s fairly mild at 17C / 63 F.

Blood sugar is still holding at good levels and today the doctor decided I should try Insulin Glargine (very long lasting and not as prone to spikes and dips) once a day instead of going to two shots of Insulin NPH (the kind I'm using right now) -- of course, the Glargine (brand name, Lantus) is three times as expensive. Certainly hope my insurance plan covers it.

See you later . . .
Old 10-27-2008, 10:32 PM   #71  
M.S. + living balance

S/C/G: 325/200's/199

Height: 5'10"

got my flu shot today! I didnt realize IM needles were so dead easy. the sub cu's I give myself burn like none other!\

Rosebud your DH is right. it's getting darker earlier and lighter later and I had to start using my SAD light in the mornings. I am so glad you found a place to live!!

I hope you are well Purple and you too meowee.

hee hee. I had a statement of mine printed on the front page of the local paper last week.... before my business cards had even arrived. I'm loving the job. Things are well. Hope everyone is taking care!

Val (was the energizer bunny for my friend's halloween pre-wedding social last weekend)

Last edited by valpal23; 10-27-2008 at 10:33 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:50 PM   #72  
Rosebud

HI LADIES ~ well, we woke up to a fairy sprinkling of ***snow*** this morning, but DH said there were bigger flakes before I woke up. It stayed the same on and off for part of the morning only. Then the beautiful sun came out around 11 am and we had a sprinkle then sun and so on all day.

WE went to town and got all those errands done that we didn't get done last week. I also picked up some new rugs which were on sale for our new place; I wanted a 6-foot long one to go underneath my piano as there is hardwood floor in the livingroom and I don't want to scratch it with the wheels. DH says that we can put protectors under the wheels too if we want to. I think I may have some of these in my green sewing box; hmmm ... I should check on that ~ lol!

Also picked up a few groceries and some bbq spit chicken for dinner; so healthy and yummy and good price too. They are all ready to eat for the about the same price as in the meat case, so why not? I just added a small new potato each, a veggie, plus some sliced tomato and salad ... so filling. For dessert, I had a tiny angel food cake with strawberries; DH had one of his chocolate puddings instead. I had some of my rhubarb with apple for a snack this evening.

MEOWEE ~ yah, hope your insurance pays for your new medication; I don't know why they wouldn't, esp since you need them (I guess it's a matter of price though); so let's pray that they will.

PURPLE ~ I also have long hair and I put it up in a twisted bun as soon as I get home usually or just before I go to bed. I devised this easy way by putting a crunchy around once (as for a ponytail), then around only halfway for the second time; then I wrap the tail around that and tuck it under the crunchy at the bottom. It kinda looks like a long twist and it stays in very well; and lasts all night long. I assume you mean 'braided' when you say "plaited" ... my homemade 'twist' keeps my hair from tatting just like your plaiting does.

HIYA VAL ~ hope you have a great week at work; you must be very busy as we haven't heard from you for awhile. Take good care of yourself ... EDIT ~ you and I must have been typing at the same time, but you posted before me; so nice to hear from you and your avatar pic is lovely!!!

Have a great Tuesday, your friend ROSEBUD

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 10-27-2008 at 10:55 PM.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:04 PM   #73  
Rosebud

HI VAL ~ I just glanced quickly at your post ... I can see why we didn't hear from you. Nice of you to help your friend with her pre-wedding social. That's a good idea to use one of those SAD lights; we have our house full of florescent lights to brighten things up too. I'm so glad that you like your new job.

Yes, we have a lovely, bright and roomy duplex. It has about the same floor space as here, just layed out better; our livingroom is much bigger and I think that will be nicer. Dh has two sheds and they love dogs, so we can have our NIKO with us. So many ads today say NO PETS even though it's supposed to be illegal to ban them; but nobody stops them.

We have our own big yard and two decks (one in front and back) and a back porch to catch the north winds; oh, just so many benefits really. I just knew as I looked around that was the place for us; everything we had on our 'NEEDS' list was there. WE can't wait to move in; they are painting and putting in new floors in the bedrooms for us. We will start to move in soon, as we got a week extension from our present landlord (they are just closing the place up anyways).

Maybe you can get those new kind of needles for yourself too, so you won't have to suffer so much.

It is so nice to hear from you; take good care and don't forget us here, eh??? ROSEBUD

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 10-27-2008 at 11:12 PM.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:23 PM   #74  
MSer living healthy

Hi Ladies

Just returned from my weekly treatment at the ms centre. Also went on the wobble machine not called that really but it vibrates when you stand on it. It tones muscles and burns fat. when you are well endowed like me up top and have little aprons of fat on my tummy everything wobbles. I have found muscles I did not knew existed today so I hope it did me some good

We had a our first ***frost*** of the winter season. We are due to have a cold spell now for the next 3 days with a high risk of snow which is not so usual for us here in the UK unless you live in more hilly or mountainous regions. So that it does not come to that.

MEOWEE ~ I know what you mean about laptops. I can not use them very well when I have tried other peoples out the worse being the mouse mechanism which you control by your fingers. Well I am hopeless at trying to control it.

I really hope that you health insurance plan covers the new type of insulin drug then at least it will reduce the number of times a day that you inject for one and also you are kept on a more even keel with the BSL. So I have my fingers for you that things are favourable.

VALDINE ~ Really nice to hear from you as I know your schedule at work is very hectic and tiring Great news about how you love the job and wow front page news of the local paper that is good work.

Love the fancy dress on you very cute.

I did wonder when you had to start using the SAD lighting as I know your daylight hours are considerably reduced with living where you do. I know it is nice to have a place to live and call home. It is great to please yourself and have roots.

Talking of flu jabs I have to have mine next Tuesday afternoon. I think I have persuaded my DH to have one. He can have one as he is my carer but I think it may be prudent as he now does voluntary work at the MS centre he is in so much contact with MSer it may be wise for their sakes.

Unfortunately beta interferon stings like blazes some drugs that you inject do others you feel virtually nothing.

ROSEBUD ~ Yes I mean braiding when I call it plaiting. We tend to call braids plaits here not sure why. Today I have my hair in a herringbone plait (sometimes called fishtail ) which I learnt to do off You tube. I have to think about what hair style I put it in on Tuesday as I have an oxygen mask to contend with with is strapped on top and around the back of my head. The one thing I would love to do is something called French braiding but I do not seem to have enough hands and fingers to do the job I frequently put it in various buns or use hair sticks.

Unfortunately Val's injects can only be given subcutaneously (which means just under the skin) and they use small needs as it does not need to penetrate far into the skin The flu injection is given intra muscularly (I/M) which means they have to penetrate in to the muscle itself. So the injection itself will tell you which method it has to be given. So Val is stuck between a rock and a hard place regarding the administering of the drug. Though on a positive note it is arresting the disease and making any relapses less severe and last much less time. So the positives much out weight the negatives.

Time to shift my rear end and make a start on dinner else it will be supper time before we get it So fellow chicks take care and catch up with you later.

purpleorc
Old 10-28-2008, 03:25 PM   #75  
Onward and Downward

Hi gang . . .

I was up way too early this morning and consequently I'm just now getting up -- for the second time -- feels like I've wasted the whole day and, wow, I hope I sleep tonight.

Weather-wise I certainly did not miss much -- another very rainy and very windy one around here; but once again it's pretty mild for this time of year. As much as I'd like to see the sun again, I just know it will bring very cold weather with it when it does come back.

VAL . . . I love the costume, girl . . . . . . and I'm so glad you are enjoying the new job so much. Hate to tell you, but I find the flu shot hurts more than the insulin shots -- although that may be a thing of the past because I have read that the new kind I'll be starting later this week tends to sting a bit. Now . . . what I could do without is the constant finger pricking. That does get painful.

PURPLE . . . I'd be happy to send you some snow once we start getting ours. In the meantime, enjoy your lack of it, I am.

And as for you, Happy Miss ROSEBUD . . . it is so good to hear you feeling so great about the upcoming move. But just keep that snow all to yourself, girl. Okay?

Have a good rest of the day . . . see you later . . .
Closed Thread