Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 06:00 PM   #46  
MSer living healthy

S/C/G: 300/176/170

Height: 5ft 8in

Hi Ladies

Just popped by after a long day of visiting the hospital at the outpatients department then out for dinner. Then on to my parents home out playing cards tonight then back to my house. To say the least I am whacked. Oh yes I have made a casserole for tomorrows lunch to slow cook over night ready for tomorrow. All I have to do now is steam vegetables of our choice. Oops I forgot I managed to put the washing on as well strip and make our bed. So forgive me if this post is some what packed with spelling and grammatical errors

Will leave answering your posts till tomorrow when I will have more time and it will make more sense I am sure

I am going to try and have a relaxing weekend as possible as next week is very busy with two delivery jobs and my oxygen therapy to name a few. Going to the computer fayre on Sunday and the local shop to buy some bits and pieces for making cobs (bread rolls or bun or baps called many things depending where you live).

Been great catching up on your posts to see how thing are going or not as the case maybe.

Time for me to start making tracks for my bed I think I am definately tired tonight and will not take much rocking to get off to sleep. Nite all and take care purpleorc
Old 10-18-2008, 08:04 AM   #47  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Goodness gracious, PURPLE must be sleeping in . . . . . . enjoy it Chickie.

Looks like a beautiful sunny (but cold) day around here. My back is feeling almost normal again and I'm debating about the wisdom of popping out to vote and to pick up a few staples. Fear it might not take much of a wrong move to lay me out flat again.

Otherwise SSDD . . . thanks to the wonders of injected insulin the BGL numbers are looking good but the weight is still stuck on the ticker number and, unfortunately, shooting insulin will NOT help to get that moving in the downward direction any too quickly.

Have a great Saturday doing lots of fun stuff, gang . . . see you later . . .
Old 10-19-2008, 12:49 PM   #48  
MSer living healthy

Hi ladies

All for my plans of a relaxing day I think I found more jobs than enough and there is still more to do as I did washing so there is the dreaded ironing. I took no rocking in bed last night as I was so tired I think I could have slept on a clothes line.

I made some cereal bars from a recipe on here, which I put nuts, apricots and dried fruit. I did cut the amount of sugar as I did not have brown sugar only white and it is something called half and half which is half granulated and half sweetener.

I cooked a beef dinner with plenty of steamed vegetables and then did some stuffed baked apples. DH did not look very keen on having the baked apples ( I think he though they looked too healthy to be a pudding ) Though when he had ate it he asked was we having it again today ! it was to be yogurt today so a big let down

Been to the computer fayre today which was very busy but I wait in the café reading my book as it is took much going round there as I lose my balance easily so not good in pushing crowds a recipe for disaster.

I also baked again today some oatmeal cakes which I have now popped in the freezer. I am sure I have some frozen blackberries in the freezer but I can not find them. I wanted to put them in the oatmeal cakes instead I used frozen raspberries.

DH has just been watching the Chinese grand prix as there is a British drive whom is doing well at the minute called Lewis Hamilton. There is one more grand prix in Brazil in a week or a fortnights time so he will be watching avidly then.

purpleorc
Old 10-20-2008, 12:08 AM   #49  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

HI LADIES ~ I'm finally in here to post; we had a busy, busy weekend looking at places again. We also received two more offers today but only one is good for us; it is for December and a nice place, so if the others don't pan out, we have one more to add to our list.

It has been in the 50's F here with a bit of sun, but today it was raining all day. We had a small bonfire on Friday night until about 9 pm as the winds started to pick up on us, and it was very cold. We spend some of last night and today cleaning up the building and yard, to spiff the place up for the landlady. Some tenants left a lot of junk behind; we sure hope they come back to get their stuff out as that won't look good for them to others.

MEOWEE ~ I'm sorry that you had to go back on insulin injections, but it is better to get those numbers under control. Too bad you can't get those kind of needles that is a pump; they use that a lot for kids today so they don't have to do needles anymore.

HI PURPLE ~ you've been very busy baking and cooking up a storm. Hope your DAD's appointments went well. Did you win anything at cards this week? Hope you can catch up on your sleep soon. We have been losing some ourselves trying to find a place, but we have an extension now; our landlady says we can stay a bit longer if we need to, so that should help us out.

HI VAL ~ hope you are having a great weekend and things are going better for you at home and at work.

Take good care ladies, your friend ROSEBUD
Old 10-20-2008, 08:37 AM   #50  
Onward and Downward

Good Morning . . .

Blood sugar numbers are still great -- appetite is also great (unfortunately another little side effect of the extra insulin) so I don't expect to be seeing downward movement of the ticker for October. Yesterday was an eating disaster. Luckily we get a fresh new start everyday.

Over the years, I've gotten used to the insulin needles, ROSEBUD. They actually hurt less than the finger pricks for testing the BGL. Insulin pumps are more commonly used for type I's and are great for a type I who often needs 4 to 6 injections a day. I'm not sure that I'd want to be constantly attached to a needle mechanism that way and the whole kit has to be changed on (I think) a weekly basis anyway.

Wowee, PURPLE, you are just baking up a storm there, Chickie. Sounds yummy, but believe me, I don't need any extra temptations right now. We have a product called "Splenda for Baking" that comes in both white or brown and that sounds a lot like what you are describing. Actually for most baking, plain Splenda (Sucralose) works very well anyway.

Hope everything is going smoothly for you VAL . . .

See you all later, gang . . .
Old 10-20-2008, 06:05 PM   #51  
MSer living healthy

Hi Ladies

Though I would drop by in my busy schedule of this week which by the end of the week I will not know whether I am coming or going Today we went to do two deliveries in one round trip. Well that was the plan but the van really did not feel right and kept over heating yet the water gauge did not come on. We limped on and did the first delivery which was 115 miles away. The next delivery was 111 miles away from that point. Then by this point the van was just about died a death we turned around and headed back home. Though realised that was not going to happen so we managed by some look and someone looking over us I am sure to get to a service station. So at least I could use the rest room and stretch my legs safely. Also exercise and toilet our Rizzie safely. So all in all great place to stop to wait for the AA to come and look at the van. The AA are a company or one of them here in the UK which do roadside assist if you have broken down for a small fee per month. Seeing as it was a hire vehicle it was the hire company whom had paid the fee.

So we were towed back home to drop me, the clobber (food bag/ doggy stuff/ sat nav and sheets to cover the seats) and Rizzie off. Then DH was towed to the lock up of the company who hire the van and pick up his car. So I know today was going to be a long one and tiring but this was very draining on me. Especially when we got home when it was about 6.30pm so most drop in eating places are closed down by this time. Only restaurants and take aways at this time at night. Restaurants tend to want booked reservations and take aways the food is none to healthy . Plus it is too greasy for my tummy . So on arriving at home I had to try and cook something up that was reasonably healthy. So did pasta in tomato sauce and cauliflower cheese grills. It was the least thing in the world I wanted to do was cook, I was whacked but I knew it had to be done otherwise the other option was DH cook who had driven or eat greasy food (no thanks gives me too much pain for one and nightmare on the scales )

We have another trip on Thursday going North this time to Cumbria somewhere not sure until I get the postal code etc. Fingers crossed that this goes more smoothly. Tomorrow is my treatment day at the MS centre.

Will be going to bed very shortly as I am worn out but thought I would drop by as I was not sure as the week went on how fit I would be to come on here. Excuse my bad English and grammatical errors tonight as I am sure there will be a few faux par's

Great news MEOWEE that your blood sugar level as levelled out nicely shame about the pesky side effects. I think I will be very careful about making the cereal bars as my DH is very fond of them too fond if you get my meaning So I think I will make them once in a blue moon as a bit of a treat else he will put back the weight he has just lost in the past few weeks then blame me So I will nip it in the bud and just not make it.

Dad's appointment went well at the hospital thank-you ROSEBUD . Though he has got to have a CT scan on his appendix to see if it is safe to leave it as it is as normally the procedure would be a planned appendectomy to stop any further infections in that area. They still do not want to operate on Dad unless it is necessary due to the high risks. So on the 3rd November he is to have a CT scan at the same hospital so I will have them over again for a few days to make it easy on all of us. As my DH will take Dad to hospital ( mum and me will go also)

Night all time for my bed purpleorc

Last edited by purpleorc; 10-20-2008 at 06:06 PM.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:31 PM   #52  
Rosebud

HELLO EVERYONE ~ we've had a very productive weekend and today, as we went to see another place and loved it ... SO, WE TOOK IT!!! And yes, it is for sure, because we gave them a security/holding deposit.

We can start moving in on November 1, 2008. It's a nice duplex and the rooms are a nice size, so all our furniture will fit, which was a concern. It's all ground level, and we have a back yard for NIKO, which we are so pleased about. Our new landlords are fun and cheerful people to be around: they just felt so very right. A lot of my prayers were answered here. I just knew that it was the right place for us as soon as I walked in; it had everything that I felt we needed to feel comfortable, so that had to be an answer to our prayers.

THANKS SO MUCH to all our faithful friends here, who have been praying for us all through this stressful time. I had forgotten just how harrowing that house-hunting could be. But now we can relax for a bit too, as our present landlord gave us an extension so that we could move at the right time as well.

Anyways, it was a nice way to spend a rainy day; thankfully, it stopped by the time we went out. Then afterwards, to celebrate, we when to a RIB & STEAKHOUSE for my 50th birthday dinner and it was healthy and delicious too.

ANYWAYS, I'm so tired that I am falling asleep at the helm here; will talk more tomorrow. Take good care and thanks again ... ROSEBUD
Old 10-21-2008, 03:34 AM   #53  
MSer living healthy

Hi Chickadees

Well slept like a baby as you would imagine, though did not want to get up when the alarm went off at 7.30am I could have gladly laid in bed. I get a lie in tomorrow you watch I will be a wake with the birdies Then up again early for Thursday as we do a delivery to Cumbria to one of the chain of cinemas which are opening thick and fast here.

ROSEBUD
Great news to wake up to that you have a home and it feels so right. Glad your prayers were answered you so deserve a nice home to live after all the heartache and worry. Here in the UK we don't have duplex's well we do just not called so . The homes that were put into duplex's where many of the old Victorian builds own by a bit more wealthier families and had many children (8 or 9 was not uncommon then). So hence the house was quite big too big for one family today without domestic help. Victorians like big spacious rooms with large windows and high ceilings so all on a grand scale. So these houses lend themselves well to being divided into 2. Some were divided into 3 or 4 depending on the scale of the house. I lived in one for a while that was a one bedroomed flat. It had a lounge, dinning area, kitchen, bathroom and bedroom. All rooms where a good size inside the flat the only reason we moved was to have more bedrooms to have family to stay over especially mine as they live away from me. I did not know what a duplex was until recent years when a film came out by that name but even then I know the film came here under the title our house. Why we do not use the word I do not know as I think it is a great word to describe a flat in a house.

Time for me to get a move on and get myself shifted at break neck speed as I am to be off very shortly. Also need to check that I have taken all the bits and pieces needed for today. Put the dinner on in slow cooker ready for tonight ( meat balls, then only have to cook pasta later tonight). Will have a banana or yogurt for sweet. I am going out tonight to play cards over all the past week we have not done bad wininng bacon ( rashers for grilling) with bean x2. Won $4 in a raffle and won a bag of cooker/ eating apples which I took 2 and did baked apple. Dh won a small tin of biscuit which we donated to a christmas whist drive for the raffle. They were nice butter biscuits with chocolate chips in all very nice but not very good for our waist lines

Bye ladies and take care xxx purpleorc

Last edited by purpleorc; 10-21-2008 at 04:05 AM.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:07 AM   #54  
Onward and Downward

Good Morning . . .

So thrilled for you and your DH (and the furbaby), ROSEBUD . . . you see, all the frustration was meant to be because the perfect place was at the end of the stressful journey. Have a good move, Chickie.

Oh my, PURPLE, all your talk about those butter biscuits is making my mouth water for the annual Christmas Shortbread. I'm trying to restrain myself this year because I can't even give my baking spree to my buddy LouLou since she's been diagnosed with Celiac Disease. She can't handle the flour; I can't handle the sugar; nobody needs the butter. But, darn it all -- I make great shortbread.

Speaking of things we don't need . . . my BGL was almost too low this morning and, since going back on the insulin, it has been getting too high by dinner time -- guess I need to do a little tweaking. May drop the evening dose a bit and then add a daytime dose and eliminate the oral diabetes meds all together since they don't seem to be doing much to keep me stable.

The other side of the coin -- and not a happy one -- my weight is moving in the opposite direction. Hopefully some of the extra two pounds I see this morning is www from too much salt and too little water yesterday. We'll see.

Weatherwise, it's pretty dull and dreary this morning plus cold and windy as well. At least there's no white stuff in the current forecast. Last night our local weather guru was saying that on October 21, 1974 Halifax received better than 39 cm (over 15 inches) of snow -- please, please, no repeat anytime soon this year.

Okay . . . have a great day . . . see you soon . . .
Old 10-21-2008, 11:30 PM   #55  
Rosebud

HI LADIES ~ thanks for your well wishes; it sure was a relief after the roller coaster we were on. We found out that the ad that I had wanted to put in the paper in the first place was the clincher: the lady at the newspaper office told me I had to write it differently. DH thinks she just wanted more money. So I then insisted on the original ad I had first given her be put in (after all, we were paying for it); then we got calls every day, sometimes two a day; and that is how we finally got the place.

Today we went shopping for fruit and stuff; and to transfer the things like hydro and phone and such. The gas office is just there for show; there is really no-one there ~ lol (it seemed so odd looking). Things are sure complicated these days.

MEOWEE ~ tsk, tsk, you shouldn't say such things; the sky is clear with zillions of stars really close, but man, is it cold; last time I looked, it was -5 Celcius. I'm praying that GOD will stave off the ***stuff*** because we can't move until November 1st. Maybe those things were allowed for a reason so that we would end up with the right place for us. Hope you get those sugar numbers more balanced real soon.

HEY PURPLE ~ Hope your DAD's appointment went well for him; and congrats on all the wins you've been having on your game nights. Over here, we build DUPLEXES all the time; these places are usually identical on each side with a thick concrete wall between them for sound and fire safety: that is what ours is like. You are right, many people will divide a big Victorian house here down the middle and make a duplex out of it.

Well, I did manage to also get some laundry done and we had leftover turkey casserole for dinner. We want to make a run up to our lot this week just to check on things and have a fun picnic day, but the weather isn't exactly co-operating with us.

HIYA VAL ~ how are you doing this week? Hope everything is going good for you, especially at work.

Well, it's time to get ready for some shut-eye; take good care ladies, your friend ROSEBUD
Old 10-22-2008, 05:17 AM   #56  
MSer living healthy

Hi Ladies

I think last night we may have had our first frost of the year it was cold enough to be one with clear skies with the stars twinkling away. I suppose it is a sign that winter is coming thick and fast. Though my winters are very mild compared to you in Canada and parts of the US. I think it is cold if it gets to anything like -1 but the worst I have ever seen is -8 here in the UK but that was a many years ago and that was a freak cold spell. We many just dip below minus but only about -3 at its worse.

I did no good at cards last night but I was asked to cut the cards by the MC (master of ceremonies) and I cut a 9 for the people who where playing in a position of gent. I had finished uncannily with my DH and the first thing I said to him well that is not the right number for you. He had a torrid time last night and was the "whooping boy" (ie every one was taking a good score out of him). Though some how he won that he had four 9's and he had not got round all the tables and there was 8 1/2. It turns out though if he had not got the most of a number he would have the lowest for the gent position with 140.

Today I am going shopping for a few bits and pieces but not a great deal mainly the staples like milk and bread. I am lucky this week I have a $8 voucher off if I spend $40 plus when you shop with this store you get points on your card (not credit or store card) when you get enough points (500) that is then worth equivalent of $5 to take off your shopping so this time I will get $13 off my shopping so will be a cheap bill if there is ever such a thing as a cheap shopping bill these days

So much for my lie in come 8am ping I was wide awake. I guess tomorrow when the alarm goes off I will want to sleep then and want a lie in So I was not quite up with the birdies but not far from it. Will make some sandwiches later today to take with us tomorrow. I would rather do them now than at 6.30am as goodness knows what I would end up putting in them as I can't get my act together then. All I make in the morning is 2 flasks to go with us when we go on our delivery. Well DH said it was to Cumbria well his geography is not his strong point to say the least. We are going no where near Cumbria it is Cymbran which is a county of Wales, The journey is about 3 hours in total so another long day a head of me. Fingers crossed no more breaking down.

MEOWEE I hope you manage to get that balancing act with your insulin and BSL right. I know when my Dad was in hospital and on insulin pump they were forever struggling with his BSL. So I hope real soon you hit on the magic formula. Sorry to hear that the scales have moved in the wrong direction lets hope it is due to sodium intake, more exercise than normal or any other external factor which retains fluids for a day or so. I know it is discouraging to see the scales go the wrong way I know what it feels like from my perspective. So hang in there and eat the normal healthy diet and I am sure the scales will gradually budge in the right direction.

Yes it is frustrating when you love baking and there is no one to bake for as such. I love baking and always have since a small child. I love cooking full stop but nothing gives me as much pleasure as baking and seeing a beautiful end result. Not that it stays around long with my DH. So I do very little baking now for obvious reasons and I do miss it.

15" of snow I have never in my life seen that much snow. I suppose the most I have seen is about 6" of snow and that was a once off. I know my mum and dad have seen a worse snow fall and that was the winter of 1949 or was it 1947 I never remember. The snow covered the hedges and folk had to dig pathways etc. I just can not get my head round that volume of snow. I am like Bambi on ice with out the snow and ice without adding in the real McCoy. I am sure I would be in the accident and emergency department in winter without fail or just confine myself to the house.

ROSEBUD Gosh busy time for you now you have a new home to live, with all the changing over of services such as hydro, gas, telephone, INTERNET providers the list goes on and on in my experience at times you felt it was never going down the things to sort out. Though eventually everything works out right and all is sorted. I think at times I just got overwhelmed by things so they looked like mountains to climb rather than the molehills they were

Yes good way of getting a new home by advertising in a paper sometimes it pays to think outside the box. Normally people look in newspapers for the places to rent or go to an estate agent for the same reason. So thinking a wee bit different made all the difference and you had several phone calls from it one proving to be the right one for you, DH and your "furry baby".

Time for me to go and get myself into order ready to go out. You watch I will do my favourite party trick forget my shopping list Then have to do it by memory which is about as reliable as a colander with all the holes. So I normally forget something that we desperately need. Well bye for now ladies and take care purpleorc
Old 10-22-2008, 03:15 PM   #57  
Onward and Downward

Old 10-23-2008, 01:06 PM   #58  
MSer living healthy

Hi Ladies

Phew the drive to Cwmbrân that is the spelling one of those peculiar Welsh names which bears no resemblance to the English language. It is pronounced "come bran". I have been through some beautiful scenery today with Welsh hills and valleys. It is a glorious time of year for the spectacular array of colour that you get as the leaves prepare to fall off the tree. The workmen came and kindly helped my DH with unloading some 49 bean bags. I could not help at all as the site is site being built so very uneven and muddy. This would have been a great recipe for me to be about as graceful as a baby elephant doing ballet Sometimes on my good days I can carry a bean bag or two to help my DH but of late my balance has deteriorated and it constantly looks like I have had 1 over the 8.

The journey today was 300 miles round trip I think my 3rd morning of getting up with our feathered friends has taken its toll. I was exhausted for most of the trip and then ended up having back spasm which in the end required medication which made me even tired. Feel better now than I did but I am having an early night so I should be right as rain tomorrow. DH is taking me out for a meal tomorrow not sure where we are going as yet.

Our furry baby had a lovely long walk last night and so today he slept like a baby throughout the journey. I think partially due to the fact he had to get up this morning early and he is worse than any teenager I reckon getting out of bed in the morning Now we have returned home he is raring to go keeps bringing me his ball to play with and he is about as subtle as a brick when he wants you to play he justs drops it on your keyboard From past experience I save frequently so not much work is lost.

Really enjoying a book(fiction) I am reading at the minute set in London around 1950's about a father and his 5 sons whom have a builders merchants. This is a front to hide there dodgy dealing and safe breaking etc. They close ranks so wives and girlfriends no nothing or next to nothing of there dealings. In particular they protect their "baby" sister of 14 and tell her that when school children say her family are nothing but thieves they are jealous of their success. For many years she believe it until at a dance she is dancing with a lad who asks her name. The name was enough for him to stop dancing with her and back off so swiftly. From this moment she knows that the "Draper" family are not what she thought.

It is very gritty but true how in London criminal gangs ran parts of London. Maybe the most famous being the Krays Nothing went on in their patch without there say so and they ruled with an iron fist. Though there Mum was their light of their lives and would do anything for her.

I hope you are all right and you are taking care of yourselves. Till next time purpleorc
Old 10-23-2008, 04:17 PM   #59  
Onward and Downward

Okay . . . I'm officially in a bad mood today . . . the return to insulin injections has definitely done good stuff for my blood sugar control (5.0 / 90 this morning) but it is playing major silly buggers with my weight control efforts. I've gained five pounds this week. Now, I know it's fluid retention and I know that is something that Insulin does a wonderful job of promoting; but I don't have to be happy about it, do I. Oh well, you do what you gotta do.

On a better note -- the nor-easter we had yesterday just brought high winds and lots of rain (no "S"). Today it is still pretty windy but the sun has been shining most of the afternoon. Amazingly the trees are still looking pretty good out there even though the wind brought a lot of the leaves down.

Hope everybody is having a really great and thrilling day . . . see you later, gang
Old 10-24-2008, 01:32 AM   #60  
Rosebud

HI LADIES ~ I've had a couple of harrowing days trying to get all our moving changes done; it seems like I called everyone at least three or more times to get things straight. Boy, have all the rules changed since we last moved. I was getting so stressed at one point, I had to take a respite for awhile.

Tomorrow, we are going to town to apply for a mail box and do a couple more errands that I can't remember right now as it is late. I fell asleep on our sofa after doing a puzzle and decided to come in and read a bit and do a quick post before going to bed.

PURPLE ~ you are so right, there are so many things to remember to do and arrange for; I had to call over two days to get everthing done right. I still have to do a bunch of address changes, which I will focus on the week we move. It is such a load off our minds now that we have a nice place to live; knowing where you are going is of major importance when you have to move.

We just had fish today for dinner with salad and tomatoes. DH did another bonfire for me tonight, so I just sat in my rocking chair and relaxed for over a couple of hours. I love them; they give me a peaceful serenity that helps me to destress. We've had a lot of stressors this year; I sure hope that's the last of them for this year; we need a break ~ lol!

MEOWEE ~ sorry about the scales going up, but I'm glad to hear that your blood sugar levels are much better; maybe in time the two will balance out. Glad that storm didn't show up your way either; we have had very cold temps; went down to -10C the other night, but the skies are clear out there right now. Maybe we'll see lots of sun tomorrow; that would be really nice.

HIYA VALDINE ~ TGIF hope everything is going well for you; best wishes for a great weekend coming up too!!!

Well, better get off to bed; take good care ladies, your friend ROSEBUD

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 10-24-2008 at 01:34 AM.
Closed Thread