Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2002, 01:57 AM   #1  

Default Fibromyalgia #53

You all yacked up the other thread so here is a new one!

Trying to make this today! Yummmmmm ....I love pecan pie! I know Phyllo can be difficult to work with........

recipe renovation: pecan pie

Prep Time | 20 min
Cook Time | 45 min
Level of Difficulty |
Moderate

Ingredients

8 pieces phyllo dough
4 serving cooking spray, or enough to coat
dough
3/4 cup pecan halves, chopped lengthwise into
3 pieces each
4 medium egg white(s), lightly beaten
1/3 cup light corn syrup
2/3 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
6 Tbsp reduced-calorie margarine, melted

Instructions

1.Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly coat a
9-inch round baking pan
with cooking spray.

2.Cut phyllo sheets in half diagonally to
form 2 equal-size triangles.
Place 1 sheet in prepared pan, lightly
coat with cooking spray,
and top with another sheet of phyllo,
placing corners just to the
right of previous corners. Repeat with
remaining sheets, so
you're covering the pan with a fan of
phyllo. Bake until lightly
browned, about 10 minutes.

3.Reduce oven temperature to 325°F. Combine
remaining
ingredients in a medium bowl; pour into
crust. Bake, uncovered,
about 35 minutes or until firm. Cover
halfway through baking
process if crust becomes too brown. Cool
in pan.

Serves | 8
POINTS per serving | 6
Old 04-13-2002, 02:02 AM   #2  

Or you could use this pie crust recipe from WW.....

Pie Crust
1 Point Per 1/6 of Pie crust

3/4 cup flour
3 tablespoons soft, whipped diet margarine -- tub
style
2 tablespoons powdered sugar

Spray 9" pie plate with Pam. Mix crust ingredients
with a fork and press into prepared pie plate.
Bake crust at 350º until golden brown for 10-14
minutes. Cool crust 10-15 minutes before filling.
Serving size: 1/6 of piecrust, 1 point
Old 04-13-2002, 12:21 PM   #3  

Nice recipe Candice. I am getting rid of sugar and sweets again. Amazing that I even go back to them when I know I will end up regretting it. Lots of aches and pains this week. Part of it is the change in barometric pressure....nice and sunny one day, then cold and rainy the next. Like today. And the other part is left over Easter Candy.

Hope you all are doing well. Two old highschool friends got in touch with me this week. Hve you registered on Classmates. com???
Old 04-13-2002, 06:02 PM   #4  

Geepers Candice...talk about us yacking up the last thread...you took almost the whole first page of this one!!!!!!!

My cough is almost gone. I finally got to sleep laying down last night...slept almost 11 hours...I was exhausted!

Another uncle had a heart attack Thursday night...he's hanging on but in critical condition. I got to thinking...I have 17 more aunts and uncles left! Ages range from 68 to 84...that's a lot of funerals!!!!!!!
Old 04-13-2002, 06:59 PM   #5  

Default Hey There

Meme- You sure do have a big family.. You seem to be going to a lot of funerals. I hope things change for the better soon.. Personally ,I am no good at those things. I was a nurse in a nursing home for the last 15 years I worked. I saw my share of dying. At the same time family members were expiring too.
Candice -Thanks for the recipe.. I am also trying to watch myself.. we had one Easter and now I am planning Orthodox Easter. May 5th. Then comes Mothers Day. More Points!Then Comes Fathers Day!!More Points!!!How do we win??
Hey Ally, Mima, Happy. I hope you are having a nice weekend.
Bye...Joanne
Old 04-14-2002, 12:27 AM   #6  

Default Hi

Candice, thank for the recipe. Sounds good. I love Pecan Pie.

Ally, I am with you with the sugar. I am giving it up. Well guys, I think I have beaten the caffeine habit. Now with not caffeine and no sugar, I will become a walking zombie!!

Meme - boy you are having a time of it. I hope all this dying slows down! Glad the cough has gotten a lot less.

Joanne - Two Easters. I seem to be losing my willpower or something. This whole thing is becoming one great struggle. Life is far to short for all this stuff about food. Oh well, I will keep plugging along.

Mima - I know you are a busy lady as time is drawing nearer. I hope you are holding up ok.

Now, here is a nice relaxing place to go - it just takes a few minutes and it is worth it.

http://www.riversongs.com/Flash/rains.html
Old 04-14-2002, 09:57 AM   #7  

Default Hey There

Happy-Two Easters!! My hubby is greek orthodox. It is TRADITION. He has been going to the Methodist church with me lately though.. The family expects the TRADITION too. It is the one time of the year I cook lamb..We like it ,I just don't cook it for some reason. Ofcourse we eat very little red meat.
Got to make this short as I am off to church. Back later....Joanne
Old 04-14-2002, 12:57 PM   #8  

Happy...... I am in my second day of sugar withdrawal. Yesterday was awful...I might make it today just because I went grocery shopping and found some non sugar alternatives (nuts, cheese etc). I hit the sugar when there is nothing else.
I have not gotten on the scale in months. I knew that with low carb and the treadmill I was doing OK. Not great, just OK. Then I got my brother's pictures from the wedding I went to and I look .....fat. Part of it is that I buy clothes that are too big. In one pic I am wearing a red striped shirt and Gloria Vanderbilt fatty jeans. The jeans are so baggy in the leg (but comfy!!) that I look like I weigh 200 lbs. I bought an extra large velour jacket that I could wrap around me twice....but in the picture it looks like I am twice my normal size. Eeeeek. That killed me...put me in a foul mood yesterday.
I envy my relatives who have gained weight but just smile happily in their pictures wearing whatever they feel like wearing. Wish I could do that. Instead...I wear black to the wedding to look thinner....
Old 04-15-2002, 02:35 AM   #9  

The Pie was wonderful and so easy to make!

I allow myself one good sweet dessert a week and try to eat low points ones the rest like fruit! (already had 3 pieces of pie!)

I know I could never give up sugar completely so I don't try jsut limit it! Use splenda sometimes too!

Happy I gave up caffine years ago...it caused me terrible headaches!

Meme...Most of that post was a recipe...not yacking!

Ally son't you get constipated with all that cheese! I love cheese but I can't poop if I eat it! I by stuff way to big to cause I like to be comfy...always looks sloppy though. I jsut got a new dress in a size 10 and it is loose ut the jacket is tight in the bust!

Joanne......did you parents objet to you marring another religion? DH's family thinks his church is the only one, kinda makes me mad!

Hi Mima...........
Old 04-15-2002, 02:38 AM   #10  

www.myalgia.com Fibro site

http://www.myalgia.com/connie2.htm (technique for breathing)

I have never had any luck with this...I jsut have to get my mind off of stuff to relax buy doing other stuff and they say that is not relaxing............What ya all think?

Last edited by Candicej; 04-15-2002 at 02:46 AM.
Old 04-15-2002, 09:23 AM   #11  

Default Hey There

Candice- My parents didn't care who I married... My hubby's parents cared a lot.. His mother didn't want me and I doubt she would have wanted any one else.. I married in his church and tried to do everything right to keep peace.. It didn't work...One day I just gave up and now I am doing things my way.. They are all gone now and strange as it may seem we are getting along better ,now that they are not here to cause problems.Sadly they lost the respect and love of their G/children because of the way they treated me. It was not a happy time for me.
I find that by doing something pleasant and/or creative ,I can relax for hours on end.
Hello Everyone...Joanne
Old 04-15-2002, 01:51 PM   #12  

Default Hi

WE HAVE SNOW AGAIN!!!!! It isn't really staying on the ground (a little) but it is snow. 200 miles North of us, they are getting over 8 inches of snow. I sure hope this just goes away. All the snow was almost gone. This snow today is the wet stuff - we usually have the dry snow. At least it isn't freezing - YET!!!

Good site Candice. I can't make that pie or I would probably eat the whole damn thing myself. Not doing so good with the sweets. I want to stop eating sugar, but I can't seem to do it. Anyway, no use in tempting myself.

Joanne - I don't like crafts, but I sure can lose myself in a good book. I love to bake, but that seems to be a BIG no-no.

Ally - I know exactly what you are saying about the cravings for sweets and carbs. Increase your protein and it may help it go away a little.

Meme - Hope you are feeling better today.

Mima - I know you are busy, but I hope you aren't overdoing yourself and making yourself hurt. Sometimes, I swear, we are our own worst enemies

I have a lousy week lined up - Wednesday to the dentist to get my teeth cleaned. I wish they weren't quite so barbaric! In the afternoon, I have a Drs. appt. On Thursday, have to have a Mammogram and a chiro treatment. The chiro treatment doesn't hurt at all, but I still have to drive to get to it. So, if you think your week is bad, look at mine.

Everyone have a nice day.
Old 04-16-2002, 02:06 AM   #13  

I THINK I'm feeling better...not sure...haven't slowed down enough to find out today! I had to take Ross to school and of course go back and get him at 3. I had 2 mystery shops to do, Avon to deliver and bills to pay. And inbetween all that I had to go to my in-law's and hubby's cousin's houses! I'd love to have a place like his cousin's. They have the most beautiful place...secluded back yard with an inground pool, arbor and screened in patio! They also have a cabin cruiser and a huge motor home. Must be nice to have money! Of course they both worked all their lives and didn't have any children...and both their parents died and left them all their money!

My F-I-L had some places removed from his face and hands last week...had to have stitches on two places on his face...went to get the stitches out today and they told him they were malignant. He will have to have surgery April 30th.

Anne...sorry your weather is so yucky. It was in the 80s here today and supposed to stay that way the rest of the week.

SENDING YOU SOME SUNSHINE!
Old 04-16-2002, 08:39 AM   #14  

Default hi

Don't know what happened to yesterday's post! Brad got the dishwasher in and we got up two rooms of curtains.tonight my sister-in-law and my niece are taking me out to eat and Thurs my sil is taking me to a play. I need to relax. Sorry about your weather, Anne. It's going to be 70-80 here. My daughter is leaving her boyfriend and getting her own place. Course Mom has to lend her the money!!!!!!!!!!!!!That's 1000 from her wedding account!!!!I don't need this stress right now but life is what happens while ypu are making other plans. New way to diet-move and get married-lost another lb. Bye for now. Mima
Old 04-16-2002, 07:11 PM   #15  

Default Hey

Mima- I envy you losing those pounds!! I guess I am going to have to find a solution for me. I haven't really gained,just bounce back and forth with a couple pounds here and there. My fault I'm sure. Don't you know that when our kids get in a jam(no matter how old they are) we are the ones who have to pull them out of it. Otherwise they don't want us in their business.
Meme- If I were you I would run away from home. You have one thing or another always descending on you..I am glad you are feeling better.
Happy- SNOW!!!You need to come to Florida.. It was 85 today..
Hello Ally, Candice...
I went shopping today. Bought myself a purse. Cost me a FEW PENNIES, but I'm worth it
Bye You All...Joanne
Closed Thread