Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 06:19 AM   #91  

Meme, we stayed in Cleveland, Tennessee. How close is that to you? You did great on that yard sale, but I have to agree with you about not having one. It is too much work! Sorry you haven't been feeling well. It does sound like you have been getting alot done though. Good for you!!

Mima, when we were visiting Bob's brother, we were around so much smoke there. We were in the minority at the house, and it was pretty bad. One day Tim and I didn't even go to the house except for a little bit in the evening because we just didn't want to be around the smoke.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:54 AM   #92  

I always react to smoke immediately-If people would only congregate in one area it would be ok. That's the way it is in my family. I think my son is the only one who smokes. The other one quit and then his wife got pregnant-family joke. He was 42.
PTL for 8 hours sleep.
I talked to Pastor's son-he was ok -explained his point. The kids still got wild. I also had 16 older kids-they are awesome but their project took a while even with a lot of help.
We had the best speaker-Ron Burton JR. who works for the Red Sox. He and his family run a sports camp nearby. His father was a football player for the Patriots and his brother works for the Boston tv channel. What a Christian story!! He gave the kids Red Sox hats and pennants.
One more night. I can do this-wow for the young couple that helps -they have things done before I think of it.
The book is A New IBS Solution by Mark Pimentel MD. I read the whole thing yesterday and today I will take notes because I am going to lend it to a friend from church who has IBS worse than me. But I will need it next time I go to Doc. Mima
Old 08-08-2007, 03:13 PM   #93  

We have several restaurants that have gone smoke free. Even when I go to the ones that have smoking sections we tend to get seated close to those and the smoke drifts over. My friends all kid me that 'beauty draws smoke' and I should feel happy about that. HA I tell them that's one time I don't!!! One smell I do enjoy and that's smoke from the grill! Hubby enjoys that ... I always like to kiss him when he grills because he gets the smoke smell in his moustache!

Have to go get Ginger ... she's at the 'beauty parlor'! (Can't afford to go myself ... costs to much to send the dog!)

102 outside!!!
Old 08-08-2007, 05:09 PM   #94  

Hi Meme, nice to see you found your way back. 102 and I am sure I would die. The temps in the 90's kill me - no air conditioning. Glad at least one gal in your family can afford to get the beauty treatment :lol Glad you got your house weeded out. That ALWAYS feels great. $700.00 is pretty good. Garage sales are a ton of work, for what you get out of it. When I did our first downsizing (when we moved from our home of 20 yrs) I had a garage sale and made over $1000.00 but I also sold a set of maple bunk beds.

All public places in Canada (and work places) are now smoke free. Even Senior's homes are smoke free. It makes going out much nicer for me, as I find the smoke makes it hard to breath, with this Emphezema thing going on. I never minded the smell of smoke, and have never smoked myself. I can't stand campfires either. Just leaves me gasping.

Tammy - I don't know much about blood sugars, but in the US they measure them differently, just like they do cholestrol. Is that good or bad? I know in Canada people who have blood sugars of 20+ really need to watch it. Same as cholestrol - if it gets over 5.8 then you need to do SOMETHING.

Mima - sorry you have Asthma problems now. IBS wasn't enough. Glad you are enjoying yourself.

It has cooled right off and it is only 61F and I am loving it. First time I had to wear a coat all summer, was this morning - well, it WAS raining as well.

Everybody enjoy the day.

I had a laugh over this one - just like a man!

While attending a marriage seminar on communication, Jim and his wife listened to the instructor declare:

"It is essential that husbands and wives know the things that are important to each other."

He addressed the men:

"For instance, gentlemen, can you name your wife's favorite flower?"

Jim leaned over, touched his wife's arm gently and whispered, "Pillsbury All-Purpose, isn't it?"

The rest of the story is not pleasant!
Old 08-08-2007, 08:15 PM   #95  

Meme, all of the public buildings in Ohio are smoke free now. It is wonderful! When we go to visit Tim, his school is in Indiana, and sometimes I forget!

Anne, my blood sugar readings are very good. I am very pleased!! I think I could use 61 degrees right now. Loved the one about the marriage seminar. lol
Old 08-09-2007, 06:01 AM   #96  

Everything is smoke-free here. It's when you get in the South that it changes-that's because tobacco is a big industry. I only get asthma once in a while.
I am trying to eat according to the IBS book but I am having a hard time with the corn syrup etc-it's in everything. I ate a bit of sorbet last night but there it is. Suga is ok so my Paul Newman wheat free cookies are not bad in moderation.
VBS is over-the kids were great last night-even the little ones. Then they had a closing service. Pastor was great. Today I will go back and organize my room.
Going to see Brad's sister Sat and then go to Suzanne's bf house for a cookout. Mima
Old 08-10-2007, 02:04 PM   #97  

Mima, glad that VBS went well. It's always a relief, sin't it?

Tim left this morning. He called after he registered and got into the band camp dorm. Tryouts started a while ago. I think they just play together for a while, and then the tryouts themselves start later. This way the directors can just walk around and watch and listen to them. Tim was a bit ill this morning from nerves. He didn't know which end to put to the pot! Poor kid. He wants to make the band so bad, but just because he was in last year isn't a guarantee for this year.

Last year we didn't know for sure till about midnight because when the tryouts were over, they had to go for uniform fittings. Hopefully he'll make the cut earlier this year so we'll know something earlier. I'm a nervous wreck wondering already. Yes, I've been praying that whatever is right will happen for him.

I do know that if he doesn't make the band, he will be part of the early start committee in his dorm, and he will get paid for that.

Hope you are all doing wonderful!!
Old 08-10-2007, 04:33 PM   #98  

I sure hope he feels better and certainly that he makes the band. It's so cool here I put on a fleece jacket to walk. I am waiting for doc to call with my cholesterol and thyroid results. Hope it's ok. I can fix the thyroid but the cholesterol is harder, I am already taking Zetia. I ate too much for lunch and have a stomache ache. Not Bad. Mima
Old 08-10-2007, 10:11 PM   #99  

I can't wait for it to be a little cooler here. Hope you received good news from your doctor. bob and I had pizza for supper, and we are both regretting it now.

Tim called about 9:00, and they were stopping the auditions for today. They did get the snares finished, and they'll start the rest of them in the morning at 9:00. He sounded very positive, but we'll have to see. He is only trying out for cymbals. He said they had the most fun last year. He's hoping they'll know by noon tomorrow.
Old 08-11-2007, 03:52 PM   #100  

Well, Tim didn't make the cymbal line. They kept the music majors ahead of the others, and I know that makes the most sense. The good part is, the band director asked Tim to stay on as a manager for the band! He'll still get the 2 credits because he'll be at practices and games. Since Tim knows percussion equipment, Mr. K. felt like he would be an asset to the section. Last year there were only 2 managers. At the end of the year, the directors said they wanted to have at least 4 this year. They will have 5 with Tim being specifically for the percussion. He's ok with it, and he'll still be able to hang out with some of his friends. The kids that didn't make the section, have to go home and come back to school next week.

I've been in tears, but since Tim is staying positive about it, I'm going to try also.
Old 08-12-2007, 07:03 AM   #101  

Sometimes God has other plans-it would be far worse if he wasn't in the band at all. We had a long driving day-first we went to see Brad's sister-only got lost for 45 minutes. Can't program the gps yet. She actually seems better even though she is still horizontal and has a trach. Paula sent an etch-a -sketch and it really works well.
Then we drove to Ct to d's bf's house. Really cute-beautiful area. Met his daughter-what a cute kid-she's almost 14. If it works out I will have more step-granchildren than actual gc. Of course I have a bunch of them from when I was married before and so does Brad.
I can tell when I stick to new diet I am so much better-I had ice ceam yesterday and it sure causes aches. Of course being in the car for almost 5 hours is not good plus I have been walking and that hurts my back-massage tomorrow. Yeah!!!!!!! I also noticed the trigger pts did not hurt as much when I was staying away from sugar and eating right. Wow. There is a link between fibro and IBS.
No phone call from doc-I think he is/was on Vacation.
Hope my bro calls and says he is going to church with us. MimA
Old 08-12-2007, 12:01 PM   #102  

Hi. Hope everybody has a great Sunday. It is cloudy and cool here at the moment, but supposed to go up to 72F today. That is really a nice temp. for me. Just wish the humidity would leave - oh well! you can't have everything.

We are heading out to our Family Reunion today. Made cabbage rolls, and a new dessert called TIRAMISU TOFFEE dessert. It looks really good. I'll let you know if it was worth making when I get back My SIL will love it, as he is forever asking me to make him a tort. This has a pound cake base, that has strong coffee poured into it, then a mix of cream cheese, chocolate syrup, sugar and whipping cream. Spread this over the cake base, and then add those SKOR toffee bits. Now I ask you, HOW CAN THAT POSSIBLEY TASTE BAD!!!

Tammy - your son will be fine. Just be happy for him at whatever he does. He will find his way, and I guess the hard lessons in life are that you don't always get where YOU want to be. Perhaps this is his calling.

Mima - Most people that have FMS have IBS as well. Sleep problems also go hand in hand. I believe it is the hypothalamus gland that causes a LOT of our problems (a malfunction). Whatever, sugar does affect both IBS and FM. Just glad you are feeling better when you stay on the diet.

Well gotta run, catch you later. I'm going to go over and start a new thread as well. This one is kind of getting long.
Closed Thread