Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2023, 06:56 PM   #391  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Trish, it surprises me that you can be diagnosed with a serious illness but it takes so long to get a follow up. I guess that's the way it works. I have a friend who went thru treatment for ovarian cancer. I saw her shopping and she showed me she had a port in her arm where they gave her the chemo treatment each time she went. That was around the same time I had my bowl issues so 2011. I haven't seen her in years but apparently she is cured. I'm so glad you are being proactive with this, researching and taking steps on your own. I too am learning a lot from this thru what you are doing.

I think your DH is supportive in other ways, too. The way he eats what you cook with only a few exceptions. Also, he has always helped you research things online. Yesterday I explained to DH that I need to eat lower carb so I don't need to take extra meds, so this morning he cooked eggs for me and gave me Italian bread with it. @@ I guess I just have to look out for myself.
Old 02-03-2023, 08:06 AM   #392  

Scale is back up to 181.

Today is,supposed to be really really cold. I'm not planning on going anywhere. I hope DH doesn't change my plans.
Old 02-03-2023, 02:17 PM   #393  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Weght this morning 179.6 lbs and FBG 69. FBG is too low for me, but I think when I get back into eating a little more carbs that will change. I would like to keep it within 70s because that means I've reversed diabetes.

I have an appointment with oncologist next Wednesday. The lady that called me to see what I needed seemed confused like shed didn't know anything about it. When I talked to receptionist who set up the appointment and I told her I had seen the doc in the hospital on January the 12th and my doc had emailed him refering me to him she gave me an appointment for the 15th, but DS thinks they went in and read the email from my primary telling him to treat this as urgent, they called back and switched it to next week. I'm just glad we are going to get things started because I want to get on this and this and get it over with so I can move on with my life.

We watched a woman doc on YouTube explaining clean keto vs dirty keto and it was quite interesting. I disagree with her on some of the proteins being dirty, but I do agree with her about the dangers of too much protein since I've read a lot about the problems of eating too much. She says carbs need to be 20 to 25 grams a day and protein 25% of calories and the rest good fats for satiaty. There is no way I could ever eat 65 to 70% fat, but I figue if I keep the carbs and protein in line the fat will work itself out.

Today is pork chops and 2 different types of squash. Being a OMAD calories will be 417 and net carbs 13 g.

Carol Sue, I hope DH doesn't ruin your plans to stay home.

Have a nice day.

Last edited by pattygirl63; 02-03-2023 at 05:07 PM.
Old 02-03-2023, 02:36 PM   #394  

Trish, I don't think your protein is 417. Did you mean calories?

Signals got crossed and you should have had an appointment by now. Thank God you called! And thank God you are already making important changes! I believe God is. working with you.

For some reason I can't watch videos. I wish I could.

I don't have to go anywhere. DH went out to get gasoline. He says its really cold and windy. It will be warmer over the weekend and highs in the 50s next week.
Old 02-03-2023, 05:38 PM   #395  

Carol Sue, You are right. I meant 417 calores. I am finding at this point that I can't seem to eat all the protein as I never eat all of it. So I am sure the calories are less. I will probably start doing 2MAD to get my carbs because I am weak from not having enough. Plus I will stop the Lasix since most of the fluid is off. I've decided that I can fast maybe 2 days a week. I have a feeling that I probably won't have a probably won't have a problem fasting the day before, during and the day after whatever treatment I have to have.

I agree that someone dropped the ball on calling me and I got lost in the process however, I have learned so many things I can do that will enhance whatever treatment I have and hopefully make it work better and maybe even faster. Then I will be able to live a healthier and quality life.

It is easy to watch videos because DH loves watching them. He watches a lot of videos right now to learn how to help me battle cancer. We have learned that eating broccoli sprouts to fight or prevent cancer. He has ordered the organic seeds and jars to make them for us so right now he is watching videos on the best way to make them so he can grow them. I think it is good for him because he it makes him feel good to do something to help me. I really appreciate him.

I'm glad you didn't have to go out and hope you are enjoying your day at home. Thankfully the weather is warming up today and we will have a nicer weather although cool this weekend.
Old 02-03-2023, 06:26 PM   #396  

Trish, I used to try to watch videos but so many times they seem to waste time and I just want them to get to the point. I can't remember who it is but every video he does he starts off introducing v himself and explaining what he does. After a couple videos you know all that and don't want to hear it again. Sometimes I dont understand what they mean and I have to try to rerun it. I wauld rather just be able to read it,,then I could just reread if I don't understand. Also, most of the time DH is watching tv so I would have to find headphones to use. But there are probably a lot I could learn from watching.

I didn't realize that you were still taking the lasix. That can make you weak. You should feel better without it.

I ate a lot of carbs today because we didn't go out. DH wanted mac and cheese. I ate some but had chicken for protein. DH doesn't eat much protein.

I ate mac and cheese at 3 pm. 2 hours later blood sugar was 119, which is not really high for me. But it has gradually climbed. It takes 6 hours or more. 6 1/2 hours later its 147. I don't know how long it will continue to climb or how high. I took G. For some reason pasta takes hours and hours to spike. I have tried to find out why but all I find is that pasta spikes blood sugar. I just can't find anything about it taking hours.

I tried watching some videos of Dr Berg. I can't finish. They drag on and on and I lose interest.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 02-03-2023 at 09:53 PM.
Old 02-03-2023, 10:43 PM   #397  

I remembered that on clean keto I can have nuts and nut butters so I ate a serving of peanut butter ending with 597 calories and net carbs 21 g. I am having some indigestion stil not really sure why. I had squash for my veggie today and I took the skin off hoping to prevent that.

Carol Sue My primary said that I could take 40 g of Lasix until all that swelling from the IVs was gone. It is so much better that I've decided not to take it any more. Hopefully with the keto woe I won't need it any more. I agree that much of the weakness I feel is from the Lasix.

DH watched a woman doctor who and he decided that he is needs to stop eating ice cream and probably needs to stop drinking milk to get his bs under control. Our trash will be picked up Monday and he will through out the ice cream and he said he doesn't want to waste the milk so when it is gone he will go without it for a whie and see if it makes a difference. I can't ever see him eating greens but I wonder if he will finally go more low carbish.

I love pasta and have decided that I want to get a spaghetti squash so I can have spaghetti. I can also start getting spiral squash too. One of the ladies on Keto for Cancer said to get a list of keto foods and mark the foods that you like and make your meals from that list of foods you like. BS and I have decided that she is going to come over and we are going to learn how to cook some keto recipes. I think that will be fun.

Old 02-04-2023, 06:06 AM   #398  

Trish, although I like spaghetti squash and spiral zucchini, it does not replace spaghetti for me. It just does not have the same texture or taste. DH doesn't like spaghetti so we rarely have it. The spaghetti is ok but he does not like tomato sauce. He is tired of it. That saves me from eating it very often.

I admire you for how you are sticking to keto. I wish I could do it but that cannot give up certain foods. If I was in your circumstances I would probably do it too. I remember when you said you could never do it, and that teaches me to never say never. You don't know what you will and can do when push comes to shove.

When I took lasix my doctor also gave me a prescription for potassium and told me to always take the potassium if I took lasix. I think it washes the potassium out of your body and that makes you weak. And when I fasted in the hospital my potassium went low and they gave me an IV.

I couldnt sleep again so I got up at 5. Now I will go back to bed.

I got a bit more sleep but I'm still tired. Step daughter called to say their furnace isn't working. Its 9 degrees right now! They are using electric heaters. They called the furnace guy and they can't come until Monday. They just moved in less than 2 years ago and had a new furnace put in right after that.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 02-04-2023 at 09:18 AM.
Old 02-04-2023, 01:24 PM   #399  

Carol Sue, I remember saying I could never give up certain foods, but like I told DS one day it is amazing what your can do when your life depends on it. I never thought I could do EF either, but now I know that I can do it and will have to doing it before, during and after treatments. I guess that is why they say don't ever say never.

I couldn't wake up this morning and finally drug out of bed a little after 10:30 am. I thought that my FBS might be low again but it was fine back up to 96, but when I checked my BP it was 93/43 so that was thep problem. DH had me take a caffiene pill and I drank half cup of coffee and I am feeling better. Today I am going to try to eat more calories because they have been very low sometimes less than 400. Today I am going to try eating a salad with EVOO and ACV and add an avocado to it. I should end up with 654 calories and net carbs 12 g. Can't seem to get my protein where it needs to be today., but if I can eat this today that will be a good thing.

Sorry to hear about your step daughter's furnace. It doesn't make much sense that a new furnace would go out. Thank God they have electric heaters to help keep house warm. I often wonder what we would do if our electricity ever went out, but I think what keeps us from losing electricity is that we live very close to the airport and they don't lose power. A few years ago when every body lost power, we didn't and DS said she thought it was because we were on the same system as the airport. I hope she is right.

Have a nice day.
Old 02-04-2023, 02:50 PM   #400  

The furnace guy talked to them and told them the filter might be dirty so they checked it and it was. I'm not surprised. DH puts a new filter in at the start of each winter but they wouldn't think of that. They also don't check anything on their car until it stops,running. DH told them to put the new filter in and try it but they are afraid to do that til the guy checks it. They bought another heater to put in the basement so the pipes don't freeze.

It has been a hectic 2 days. Step daughter was updating her resume. She has a computer but no printer. She types things and emails them to me then I print. She made mistakes 3 times and sent them again and I had to keep printing. Then our printer malfunctioned and he had to install the printer that came with my new laptop. I guess if we die she will have to buy a printer. Or just take mine. Then I set up the new laptop. I don't want to use it until I get a virus program installed.

I have eaten nothing but protein so far today. I did not have toast with my eggs. I have pork chops defrosted. For some reason I have been very hungry yesterday and today. I woke up starving this am and ate some cottage cheese.

DH is making fried potatoes for himself and I get to pick a vegetable.

I was ready to start cooking the pork chops when DH walked in the door with a head of cabbage and said "Do you know how to make Cole slaw?". I wish he had bought a bag of Cole slaw mix but I shredded the cabbage, A baby carrot and some onion. All I had was mayonnaise so I added some vinegar and a pinch of sugar, salt and pepper. It wasn't half bad. I had planned on eating 2 pork chops but I was satisfied with one so I have one for lunch tomorrow, or for Rusty. MFP liked my entry.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 02-04-2023 at 04:44 PM.
Old 02-04-2023, 05:11 PM   #401  

If I eat an egg and 1/2 avocado later, I will have 650 calories and 7 g net carbs. I complained on the Keto for Cancer group that I wasn't getting enough carbs but they said 7 to 13 grams of net carbs is good. So I guess I am doing good. I just need to up my sodium. It is funny how I always tried to cut back on and now I need it.

I'm still having difficulty with heartburn and at this point DH thinks it could be nerves. I am beginning to think so too. I don't like the unknown. I know there are ways to help financially but that weighs heavy on my mind. I think until I things are settled financially as well as my treatment, I can't completely relax a little.

The lady who wrote the book on Hacking Cancer wrote me today on Keto for Cancer encouraging me because she is a ovarian cancer survivor. I couldn't believe she took the time to write me, but I have to say that it made me feel so good to know she would take the time to reach out to me.

It is a shame that the kids might could fix their furnace with just changing the filter, but I guess it is best to be safe if they don't know what they are doing. DH daughter used to depend on her Daddy and me to do so many things for her and I often felt bad when we moved and weren't there to help her. However, it is amazing how well they have done since we no longer are there nor have the money to help them. They had to grow up.

Old 02-04-2023, 08:52 PM   #402  

I feel that today was a good day. I had 1024 cals, 42 carbs and 99 protein. BUT, I figured that with 2 pork chops and I only ate 1. So calories and protein were a little less. 2 hours after dinner blood sugar was 107. I took 3 GM of G instead of 4. I am trying not to go over my prescribed dose each day. There may come a day when I go over on carbs and need more G but it will balance out if I don't use it all every day. I don't know if that makes sense.

We think step daughter went overboard when they bought this house. The can make the payment but if something goes wrong they are stuck. Before her husband got this job they lived in the trailer and struggled. We helped them out but now,we are retired on SS. She thinks we have this never ending flow of money. Now she has lost her job so she needs to find one if they are going to be in the same financial situation. They are in their mid 50s. I tell her someday we are going to die but she probably thinks she will inherit everything, and she will, but in the meantime we have to live.

I understand your stress over the uncertainty of your upcoming treatment. I am sorry that you have this stress. No matter what happens God will take care of you. Maybe you will feel better about it after your doctor visit. If you can ride your recumbent bike it might help relieve some stress. Just a few minutes a day. You are,doing everything you can do. Put it in Gods hands.

I'm glad that woman who wrote the book spoke to you. You need to have encouragement like that. Your sisters will be there for you too.

I have to consider getting back to exercise. I was reading about lowering insulin and the key is exercise. It doesn't have to be a strenuous workout. Just my bike and treadmill. It burns glucose and lowers insulin. I understand so much more about how it works, now. I have wasted so many years but its not too late.

DH is in the kitchen making something to eat. Please don't bring it out and put it under my nose!

He made pancakes. I need to be strong!
Old 02-04-2023, 09:18 PM   #403  

Thanks Carol Sue for your kind words and encouragement. I do have a wonderful support group and DH and my sisters and their hubbies are at the top of the list. I'm a person who thinks I don't worry and I think that is because I internalize things instead of discussing them. However, I did talk to DH about it today. I agree that the recumbent bike would be helpful, but just haven't had the energy to do it yet. I know things are bothering DH too because he has been getting up an hour or two earlier than he usually does. He isn't sleeping well.

I didn't eat the avocado and eggs because I just didn't want it. So ended up with 270 calories and net 5 g carbs. I am not sure that is good but I can't eat when I am not hungry. So I ended up with a OMD.
Old 02-05-2023, 09:03 AM   #404  

I was right about yesterday being a good day. Weight is finally back down to 179.8. And FBG is 111. It was 97 when I went to bed. So I CAN control my blood sugar. It just takes having some control. I know that blood sugar of 111 is not considered good for many, but it is a big drop compared to what I often have. I don't usually mention FBG because its high.

I'm reading a book by a personal trainer who makes you see it how it is. He said you go through life saying things like "This is just how I am.". Others can see if the way you are was working you would be living the life you wanted. We write our own movie for ourselves called " This Is Why I Can't" starring YOU. And that's what I've done for years. I have now proven to myself that I can. The book is not a diet book. I know HOW to lose weight. The book is telling you how to stick to it. To change your frame of mind.

Trish, I'm hoping that once you start treatment with the doctor and get information from him your stress will be less and also for DH. The lack of energy might be from not enough food. I understand because I could not eat when I had covid. All I did was go from bed to my recliner and back to bed. On the other hand, fasting is supposed to raise your energy. This is a unique situation. I can give support but won't try to advise you because I don't know what I would do in the same circumstances. Once you see the doctor you can discuss all this with him and get his perspective. Don't be afraid to tell him things and ask questions.

I have a list for Walmart. We were not going to go out today because of the train fire in Ohio. DH is concerned that the toxins from the fire is going to blow in our direction since we are so close. But we need things. I am almost out of eggs!! That can't happen!!

​​​​​
Old 02-05-2023, 12:22 PM   #405  

Carol Sue, I love how I decide something and the Lord will use you to confirm it. I got up to dress and was light headed and I decided that I have to get back to eating and that I need to eat salt even if I had to make myself eat. The nice thing is that I didn't wake up with my stomach unsteady which helps. So I had 2 eggs, with shredded cheese for flavor and 2 sl bacon. I am also giving up coffee because I think it might be causing stomach problems. So I had lemon ginger tea with breakfast. So far so good. I realized that I was never going to get any energy if I have no nutrition. Fasting is one thing but starving yourself is quite another thing. Sometimes you just have to pull yourself up by your bootstraps and move on as the old saying goes. So I'm going to make myself do what I need to do that I can do.

We are going to Walmart tomorrow because it is supposed to rain Tuesday and Wednesday. DH will go in at Sam's and I will go in with him at Walmart. I also need eggs and don't want to run out of them because they are a big part of my eating plan these days. Plus DH said I probably need a day to rest before we go see the doctor Wednesday so it would better for us to go shopping Monday instead of Tuesday.

Now I have to do our weekly pills that I had no energy to do yesterday. I will cook a NY steak today and DH and I will half it. I will eat a salad with EVOO and ACV and asparagus spears I need to eat before they ruin. My calories will be 1093 and net carbs 6. I heard Dr. Berg say that you don't have to count the carbs in raw veggies so I don't even track them any more.

Have a blessed day everybody.

Closed Thread