Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 04:18 PM   #331  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

IdealProteinNewbie Thanks for your input. My DS has lost her weight on lowfat, low carb and recently found keto/Paleo recipes and loves them. I talked to her this morning and she seems to have created her own plan from them all. She is now 100 lbs and said she didn't try to lose down that far. Her body just seemed to go that low on its own. She can probably handle that weight as I think she is about 5' tall.

momtopands Thanks for sharing your experience. DH worked in neo-natal NICU in So. FL for almost 20 yrs. He loved working with the babies. It amazes me how much you nurses love those precious little ones. In fact, I met him on line and that was what caused me to fall in love with him was his love for those babies and talked about them as he told me about his work with them. He was a Respiratory Therapist and the nurses loved having him there I a crises.

My baby sister and I both worked together in a nursing home years ago. There were 4 of us who worked together and loved our patients and took good care of them helping each other so we could give excellent care. I have always heard from other NA/CNA talk about how they worked with people where they did all the work while others sit doing nothing.

Last night DS and I told the RN to take certain meds out of Daddy's meds plus they had orders from the Cardiology. I called this morning to be sure info get sent correctly for his meds. I talked to a different RN. They still didn't have the medications right. He has to take a heart medicine everyday. However cardiology sent word to give it every 2 days if he has to be on muscle relaxer. Supposedly they say Daddy isn't taking the muscle relaxer. So that means stay on heart medicine 1 x a day. They changed it any way and was going to give it to him 1 every 2 days. I called the Social Worker and told her that I want her to let the new facility know that I want a meeting with their DON.

We had Daddy all set to go to one place and DS got a call from our 2nd choice facility saying they would waive the $35 a day co-pay. She called me and asked if we have a co-pay at our 1st choice. I called Social Worker and she said they do have the same co-pay but that our 2nd choice was willing to waive it. So we are going to the 2nd choice. It is 18 minutes closer to me. They are coming to get him tomorrow at 11:30 to transport him. He is so much happier about moving.

I don't know if I can go at 11:30 or not. I got up and was ready to leave the house this morning and DH was so sick from the Victoza that I couldn't leave him. Our doctor is out of pocket until Monday, but I got an appointment with his NP tomorrow at 1:30. So not sure I can be there for Daddy's move to new facility and get back to get DH to the doctor's office. He is coming off the Victoza. He is going to go back on glimiperide and we will have to see about staying with the fraxiga. It works, but not as well. I'm hoping I can get him to change his eating habits with me.

I've decided to stay with CAD until I get everyone kind of settled. DS starts Victoza sometime soon although she is rethinking it herself. She hasn't been able to get the needles for it. She changed pharmacy and they just are as good as most. I think it is just the one in her area because her DD uses the same pharmacy on this side of town with no problems. She is almost scared to try Victoza with the problems DH has had, but we are thinking since she is so over weight that she might not have those problems. He only weighs 135 lbs so we are thinking it is just too strong for him. Will see what NP says tomorrow.

I've done well with CAD in the past so I will just continue to stay on it a while longer. May work toward lower carb while on it. Many on the FB group do that. My FBS is still up there some days even up to 172 one day, but comes down after the coffee. It was 102 yesterday before main meal so I consider that very good. That will keep my A1c in the 5 or 6 readings. So I can live with that for now.

Y'all have a good day.
Old 03-07-2018, 04:26 PM   #332  

S/C/G: 304.2/298/124

Height: 5'3"

Wannabehealthy Congratulations on your NSV. This is no trivial thing and when you've carried as much extra weight as I have for so long loss of mobility has started to become an issue. It is just another motivator to turn my life around! Whoever heard of a 45 year old woman that could barely get out of the chair or hold a baby more than 30 minutes? That was my wake up call to move! My mother, who is 68, is the poster child of healthy overachiever! She goes to the gym 5 times per week, 2 of those are 1 hour long spin classes! I told her I'd need an ambulance after 5 minutes on the bike!

As far as my blood sugars, they do come down pretty fast. I do not pretend to understand this body of mine though. I can't have bread, potatoes and pasta in the same meal(not surprising, I later figured out that was 64 carbs, blood sugar 168) but in separate meals I can(just sandwich and green beans, blood sugar 124). I even had ice cream and didn't even spike! How is that possible? I was most surprised about how many carbs are in milk, though they don't seem to spike my blood sugar. I'm learning quite a bit about what things are better to eat for my body. I will keep monitoring, especially when I have a recipe that I haven't had before.

As far as my commentary on the state of healthcare, I'm not offended at all. I wish more people were as proactive as you are about their healthcare. About being knowledgeable not only about the different approaches to treatment but their own bodies. I have a chronically ill child so I have spent a great deal of time learning about her disease, her behavior and how it affects her health, and now that she is 13 I am teaching her to communicate with her medical team about her health, concerns and questions. It has always been a frustration of mine when people have questions about their healthcare but don't even bother to questions the doctor, instead asking their nurse, or some friend that's a nurse, like me but I work in the NICU. You see I don't know nearly enough about diabetes, lol. I tell them to ask their doctor, that's what they are there for. They have a responsibility to help you become as knowledgeable as you can be without going to med school!Any of your healthcare team that has a problem answering your questions is someone that would not longer be a part of my team. And i've questioned more than one, most are knowledgeable but a few have been found to be unacceptable and were replaced. I have no intention of risking my health or my daughter's health on someone's pride. Now, i'm off my soap box, lol.

pattygirl63 I do love the babies! I can't imagine working in any other area of nursing! As far as your dad's move, as far as i'm concerned it can't happen fast enough. They are entirely too unconcerned about getting his medications right. At the next facility I would be sure to let them know about the many mix ups with his medication that has affected his recovery and how important it is that they get it right. When they know families have had problems before, sometimes they are extra careful.

Last edited by momtopands; 03-07-2018 at 04:34 PM.
Old 03-07-2018, 04:31 PM   #333  

[QUOTE=Wannabehealthy;5352133]I have had a NSV recently. I have been able to get up out of a chair just using my leg muscles, without holding on, or pushing myself up. I have not been doing my formal exercise as often as I should, but I have been doing leg lifts regularly to strengthen my legs. This has me so happy that when I'm in my computer chair, I keep standing up and sitting down just because I can do it now, like doing a squat!! This may sound trivial to some younger people, but to an old lady who is trying not to lose her mobility, it is remarkable!! [QUOTE]

That awesome Carol Sue!!! I am so proud of your accomplishment. I definitely want to work at all those things too. I want to look up Tai Chi and start doing that again too for balance. Yoga is supposed to be good for that too, but there are a lot of those moves I can't do until I lose weight. After seeing what my Daddy is going through, I've decided that I'm going to make getting healthy my priority.

While I do prefer more of a Paleo type low carb, I still want to read this book on keto diet to see how she guides you into step by step ways to get into ketosis without the flu like feelings. If I can do that and still take care of everyone around me, I will attempt it for the health benefits. They have so much more research today to prove that you do get healthier. I understand you can do the same thing with Paleo or low carb, but not as quickly. So there are a lot of options out there it is just figuring out how to do it to fit me, my lifestyle and likes/dislikes.

You are doing great. I figure if I can do what is good for me while going through all this stuff then that will give me that feeling of "I can do this" attitude.
Old 03-07-2018, 06:52 PM   #334  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Trish, I did not realize your DH is not overweight as most type 2s are. Maybe he is LADA type 1.5 instead. I believe that is closer to type 1 than type 2 and most type 1s are thin. I hope he can get his meds straightened out and eating lower carb would probably help, but it's a very difficult change to make.

I think one of the things they suggest for the low carb flu is salt, such as in broth. When you start out eliminating carbs you lose water really fast and that takes electrolytes with it. I'm curious to hear what the book has to say about it.

I hope the new rehab facility is better for your Dad. It's good that they are willing to waive the copay. I'm sure he's looking forward to feeling better and getting to go home. All this running around is hard on you, too.

Momtopands
, your mom is doing the right thing keeping up with her exercise at her age. If you don't use it, you lose it, and I can certainly attest to that!!
Old 03-07-2018, 11:05 PM   #335  

Just checked my calories on MFP and it is way under 1000 calories but sodium is way over. I think I do better if I don't follow a diet, but then I can't really believe that is true because today I've just been too busy to think about food or eating. I've just tried to stay as close to OP as possible.

Carol Sue I looked up the Type 1.5 but don't really understand it. I copied the link to share with DH. Perhaps we will get some answers from NP and may have to see Dr next week.

Daddy seems fairly happy about the move although it was a place he didn't really want to go at first. He told me tonight that when the primary sent him to the cardiologist that he prayed he wouldn't get the older doctor (there were three generations of the doctors at that office a Dad, son and grandson). Daddy said he prayed he wouldn't get the older gentleman. I think the older one retired or died, but Daddy got the Jr the one he didn't want. He turned out to be the best doctor and we wouldn't have anyone else. So Daddy said maybe this is new facility may turn out the same way since it seems to be the place the Lord seemed to open up for us. It gives me peace of mind to know that he is satisfied with it. I will still have to go everyday while DS gets on Victoza, but it is closer and better for me as well. So maybe life will be a little more relaxed for us all. And just maybe I can serious about my healthy lifestyle.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:16 AM   #336  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

HI everyone, so exciting to have some newbies here. I am enjoying reading your posts. And Trish, I really hope things go well for your Dad.
Weight is up with following my FODMAP plan, probably because its a bit higher carb. I am watching portion sizes. I am looking at my DD and what she eats, and try not to eat a lot more than her. She is a healthy weight, and sometimes leaves a bit of food, so I am hoping that will help.
I think I can eventually go lower carb on this plan, but in the short term, I got a menu plan and just want to get to the point where I don't have pain before I worry about carbs too much.
For my morning smoothie, I have to take a lactaid pill, and am changing the ingredients a bit, and have to leave out the peanut or almond butter. Have bought lactose free milk and mix that with my yogurt and other ingredients. Its all a little thinner, I hope it will still be as satisfying.
My repeat ultrasound is in 2 weeks, but the colonoscopy may be months, my doc is looking into some way to get me in sooner. Perhaps the diet will heal me up by then.
Have a good day friends.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:30 AM   #337  

Trish, do you look at each item on your food list to see where the sodium is coming from? MFP shows my sodium should be 2300 but I am always below that, around 1500-1900. I noticed that a lot of the food on MFP is listed by restaurant names or store names and it's hard to me to find exactly the right item since most of my food is cooked at home. And because it's cooked at home, I am not accounting for the salt I add while cooking or salt I add to my food at the table. DH makes me angry because most of the time, he salts his whole plate before even tasting it. He says he has to, but I said "No, you WANT to." The only time he doesn't do that is when his BP is up high, then he will cut back. There are certain BP meds that draw the sodium out of your body. My BIL was on that drug, and was also eating a lot of low sodium foods. His sodium dropped too low and he started having seizures. He had to be hospitalized and they put him on IV sodium.

I also don't understand a lot about 1.5 but I read some posts about it on another forum. A diagnosis of 1.5 requires a test for antibodies. I just read an article that says that 90% of type 2 diabetics are overweight, but that leaves 10% who are not, so your DH could be in that 10%. It says that there are some other things that can cause type 2 besides obesity. Here is the article. I didn't mean to open a new can of worms for you.

https://chriskresser.com/think-skinn...s-think-again/

This morning my weight finally dropped back down to 198. I have not bounced back to 200 for a long time now. And my FBG was 122. I was a little hungry when I went to bed and I had a slight headache, but it went away without meds. I see others on the forum whose weight is dropping right and left. They have a loss almost every week. I struggle for every ounce it seems.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:38 AM   #338  

Mad, we were cross posting. I'm happy to see a few newbies here too, as it gives more variety to the conversations, more insight into others issues and how they are handling them.

Right now I wouldn't worry about weight. You have to find the answer to your problems and you still have to eat. You also have to be healthy. My DH always leaves food on his plate, at least one bite. Even when it's dessert, because when he eats pie, he does not eat the crust. His brother does the same thing. My SIL says she thinks that's because growing up they were told to finish everything on their plate, so now they are doing this to be defiant. LOL I have a real hard time leaving food on my plate. My brain thinks if it's on my plate I'm supposed to eat it. I think a very good practice for us would be to leave a bit of everything on our plate, just to break the habit of finishing everything.

It's terrible, the games we have to play with ourselves in the quest to be healthy.
Old 03-08-2018, 12:32 PM   #339  

fatmad I agree with Carol Sue you need to work on getting your health issues figured out right now and not worry so much about the weight. Sometimes we have to do what we have to do. There are times I can leave things on my plate and times I forget, and it is strange the games we have to play with ourselves.

I don't remember having to eat everything on our plate, but I do remember that Mama kind of knew how much each of us would eat and we didn't usually have left overs so whatever was on our plate we just seemed to eat. As I've shared before, I didn't eat breakfast although she did cook breakfast when Daddy was eating it. There were times I guess he was dieting that he wouldn't eat it. In the summer, she never cooked lunch for us nor did she have food for us to go in fridge and just eat. So I figure when dinnertime came we were hungry so we ate everything on our plate because we knew that was it for the day. I guess that could have set us up for over eating years later. Another thing is that when tv came along and we would eat in front of the tv instead at the table where you dished your food out yourself, Mama fixed our plates and we ate whatever she put on it. We didn't even have to choose. Maybe that set us up to eat whatever is "on the diet" mentality.

Strange revelation there as DH and I never sit at a table to eat except when eating out. In fact, I have to say I think what I enjoy the most about going out to eat is the fellowship we have together rather than the food because many times we are so busy talking we don't eat all the food because we talk to each other. Same goes when eating out with family or friends.

As to making choices of what to eat and how much, I know even my skinny sister really can pile the food on her plate at a buffet. They took us out to eat at a buffet when DH and I went to see them after we married. DH and I only get what we are going to eat. In fact, the only time we throw food away in a buffet is if it didn't taste good. DH was absolutely embarrassed at how DS and her family piled the food on their plates. I think there are so lessons there.
Old 03-08-2018, 01:25 PM   #340  

Carol Sue Thanks for the article. I printed it out so DH and I can read it. I don't think you are opening a can of worms. I am a firm believer that you have to know what is going on to be able to get the results you need. Hopefully we can.

Hey it is great that you are staying under 200. Congratulations. I am as happy for you as if it were me.

Yes, I know how MFP does the sodium, but my sodium was up high. In order to stay OP with low carb I've been eating some of those packaged beef/turkey jerky type things. #1 I can't eat just one as it doesn't satisfy like real meat and #2 they are too high in sodium and calories. I won't be using them any more.

In fact, I've decided that since Daddy is in the new facility for at least 100 days or until he can either go home or to assisted living, we will not be eating out for breakfast. This turns out great for me even if I'm going out to see him a lot of mornings. I am going to use this time to get back on CAD/IF way of eating with low carb.

I decided to think this thing through. #1 I don't like high fat diets so that rules out Keto diets. I'm not sure I want to give up all grains so that probably rules out Paleo. I don't eat a lot of tubers and grains etc that paleo doesn't allow, but I don't want a hard fast rule that says I cannot have them. According to the CAD theory, you get an insulin/glucose surge when you take your first carby bite at what they call a Reward Meal (RM). Dr. Richard Heller says as long as you limit your carby meal to only 60 minute eating window without a 5 minute lull you will not get a second insulin/glucose surge. They used an example in one of those books that if you had a meal at one place and you wanted to get a dessert at another place within that 60 minutes that you could munch on celery during the time it takes to get your dessert to keep from having 5 minutes without eating. However, if you go past the 5 minutes without eating anything or if you go over the 60 minutes, you are going to cause your insulin/glucose to go up higher because it will kick in a 2nd surge and you just lost your control of your blood sugar. Evidently when you eat the lower carb veggies and protein and fat if you want the fat (I eat low fat which is my preference), you don't get those insulin/glucose surges. There are a lot of diabetics on CAD/CALP who do control their FBS and weight this way. This is why I like it because I choose to illuminate only the foods etc I don't want and choose to keep the ones I really love at RM.

I realized this morning that I do not have to eat breakfast. I enjoy some breakfast foods, but I could have those foods for a low carb meal called Complimentary Meal or Snack (CM or CS) later in the day. I can even continue using original CAD with Intermittent Fasting (IF) 19/5 ratio. A lot of the FB CADers do IF.

I can have my coffee and tea until we have our main meal around 3ish since I'm not on any meds I have to take in the morning I can do this. I usually choose to take my meds with my main meal any way especially when doing a CAD RM. Then I can either have a low carb salad or a low carb stirfry or just a low carb snack later or have breakfast meal in the evening to keep away the munchies. I can do all this within a 5 hr window and still go to bed without feeling stuffed 4 or 5 hrs later. Evenings are when DH and I spend time together watching movies and talking so I usually don't go to bed until around 12 or 1 am depending on what I have to do the next day and how early I have to get up.

I like this because it gets me back to eating almost like I ate growing up and when I've found it very easy to lose weight in the past. Perhaps that is it is working with my circadian rhythm.

My weight and FBS was a little high this morning, but I am back on the CAD/IF plan today and haven't had breakfast. We won't eat until we get back from seeing the NP this afternoon. My plan is to just go see her and come back home because DH probably won't feel like going any where since he is still coming off the side effects of Victoza. So we should be home in time for me to have my RM around 3ish. If not, then this will become a longer fast since I don't want to eat anything after 8 pm each day.

SC doctor told me to find a way of eat that I can make a lifestyle. I can make this my lifestyle, because it is how I seem to flow.

Daddy should be getting settled into new facility. People at old facility was crappy this morning not wanting to do any more for them than they had to. He had to yell for someone in the hall to get a someone to come give him the call light. We've had that problem before. His phone for the room was out of reach and off the hook. I called twice and got a busy signal before I realized that he wasn't on it and I got him on his cell. All I can say is I'm very glad he isn't there any more.

DS DD is a Social Worker with American Cancer Association. I think it worked out great that she is with her Mother and our Daddy with this move because she knows more about how to deal with all this than we do. Praying for a better situation in the new place. In fact, DS just text me his room # so I can put it on FB for family and friends.

Y'all have a good day.
Old 03-08-2018, 04:23 PM   #341  

Trish, I'm glad your Dad is in this new place and I hope it works out well for him. Honestly, if they can't get him back on his feet in 100 days then maybe it's not going to happen. I don't want to feel that way and I know you don't either, so we will pray that he improves.

Maybe you can ask your sister what she is eating on the Keto plan and follow her lead. You said she was eating some low fat items. I can eat fatty foods, like butter, mayo, avocado, marbled cuts of meat that render down as they cook, but I don't handle things like chicken skin, and I cut the obvious fat off my meat before cooking. I have a problem with sausage unless I blot it well with a paper towel, and forget bacon. I just don't like the salty greasiness of it. Bacon seems to be a main food on Keto.

I agree that the jerky type meats aren't desirable. I think they are too high in sodium, plus I think they contain nitrates which aren't healthy. Sometimes I cook a few chicken legs to keep on hand for a snack when I need it. I can eat cold chicken, or even heat it up in the microwave.

Any diet will work as long as you stick to it. Being able to stick to is it the key!

Listen to this one. This morning I didn't have my usually scrambled eggs. Instead I had a small avocado sliced and cooked with a fried egg in the hole. Although it was a nice change, I have been eating everything in sight the rest of the day. Normally my eggs keep me satisfied until we eat dinner. Today, I had half a banana, an orange, some potato chips, some grilled eggplant and some cheese. Nothing earth shattering, but much more food than I have been eating. I wasn't hungry, but I just wasn't satisfied. I was thinking I would eliminate eggs for a while and see what happens, but if it's going to make me binge all day that's not going to solve anything.

I didn't feel like cooking dinner so DH wanted Wendy's to go. I got a crispy chicken sandwich, threw away the bun, made a big salad and cut up the crispy chicken into my salad. I hope the scale doesn't go back up from all that extra food I ate.

I can't figure out why I've been so cold all the time. My doctor wants to test me again for thyroid, but I don't have the other symptoms. DH said maybe my blood is too thin. I take a 325 aspirin daily plus 2 fish oil capsules, so I guess it's possible, but I don't get any bruising. I don't know. All my life I was always warmer than everyone else in the room, until a year or so ago when I started to feel freezing to the core. I have to put a sweater on all the time, and sometimes I go to bed early because I'm just so cold. I hate to take a shower. I close the bathroom door and let the room heat up before I shower then I stay under the water so long because it's so nice and warm. I don't know what the problem is...I sure have enough insulation!!
Old 03-08-2018, 08:45 PM   #342  

Well, Daddy got moved. I didn't get to go over to the new place yet because of taking DH to see the NP, but I did talk to Daddy and DS. They are very impressed with the people. The nurses and aids came in and introduced themselves to them. They didn't seem to have any problems helping him etc. They had his lunch there as soon as he got moved in and Daddy ate very well. He gets regular food, but still has the thickened water for just a little longer.

DS told them that he would work with them but not to yell at him or talk to him like he is dumb. They said they would not yell at him and will treat him with dignity. Daddy told them he will work with them and he will work hard, but not to yell at him and he will not yell at them. They said that was good. He told them he was willing to work hard, but he would tell them when he cannot do something.

The OT came in and checked his back and shoulder. We are impressed because no one has ever checked out his bones like that. We were told at the hospital that he has a couple of bulging discs in his back or neck, but there is nothing in the records that got that mentions them. So I don't know if he has them or not. I am just glad he is where he is now.

Carol Sue I talked to my baby sister yesterday about her eating plan. I asked if she was doing keto diet or Paleo diet. She isn't really doing either one but she likes a lot of their recipes. So she has added them to her plan. She more or less does low fat low carb and just eats recipes she likes from keto and Paleo diets that she mostly gets from Pineterest. She drinks smoothies, has desserts from those groups. She uses a lot of low fat cheeses and dairy some of which doesn't fit either keto or Paleo.

The other thing I like about CAD is that many on my FB group are also on some other low carb recipe sites on FB including keto and Paleo and get their CM recipes from those FB groups. So with CAD the way it is done on that group, I get the best of both worlds of low fat low carb eating.

I've had a great CAD day. I didn't eat until 4pm because I just didn't get hungry. It is 7:34 and I'm not hungry so I'm through eating for today because I don't want to eat after 8 pm. Besides, I need to get the rest of that horrible junk I got from those supposed low carb jerky snacks out of my system. Fasting another long day won't hurt me at all. I won't eat again until 3 pm tomorrow. If I can do this through the weekend, I will be well on my way to setting it as a lifestyle. I am doing this the way Rachel Heller did it in the beginning. She took this way of eating One Day at a Time. She always knew she could have a snack if she needed it, but found that she never did. I will carry some sort of snack in case I need it, but I don't expect to need one.

The NP put DH on Januvia. I'm waiting for Walmart to text me that it is ready. I will pick it up tomorrow. DH still has some Fraxiga left so he will use it until we get the Januvia.

This has been a good day.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:47 PM   #343  

Guess I'm a little wordy tonight.

Carol Sue I am interested to see what you find out about being so cold all the time as I do the same thing. I have actually gone to bed and piled up the cover and still couldn't get warm. I've never talked to the doctor about it. However, he did check thyroid last time because I asked him too and it comes back okay.
Old 03-09-2018, 08:50 AM   #344  

Trish, 22 years ago my thyroid went overactive. I started losing weight in spite of eating a lot. I was getting hot a lot, but back then I was always warmer than everyone else in the room plus I was starting through menopause. Also, I was getting jittery. I knew something had to be wrong because I never lose weight without trying. I went to the doctor and he checked my thyroid and it came back overactive. He said let's wait a while and see if it corrects itself, and it did. He started checking it when he did my annual blood work and it was always good. Then a couple years ago right after I went to bed I started feeling terrible. Very fatigued, felt some swelling in my throat, and my heart rate was going wild. Up and down. BP was very high. I got scared because of my heart issues and called an ambulance. When I got to the hospital, they checked me out thoroughly and told me my heart was fine, but my TSH was high, and that I should follow up with my PCP. When I told him, he didn't do any further testing but just called in a RX for thyroid meds. I took them for a couple weeks, then started to feel terrible again, so I stopped them. When I went back to him I told him I had stopped them and he was angry, but I told him I couldn't stand how I felt. When he did blood work again it was fine, and now it still stays fine. So, being cold is one of the symptoms, and not being able to lose weight is another, but it also causes constipation which I never have, and hair loss, another thing I don't have. So I really don't think it's my thyroid. I agree with DH that my blood could be too thin from the aspirin and fish oil. My hands and feet don't get cold, I just feel the cold in my core. I might stop the fish oil for a while to see what happens, but I won't stop the aspirin with my heart issues.

My step daughter who has always been thin has put on some weight lately. She is always freezing, and has some major hair loss. I told her to get her thyroid checked but she refuses to go to a doctor, so it just continues. Because her mother died of cancer, she says she's afraid to go to the doctor because she's afraid she will be told she has cancer. We tell her that not going to the doctor isn't going to change anything, but her father and his entire family feels the same way about doctors. DH goes for his blood pressure meds because I make him go, but he will not let them check anything else, because he doesn't want them to find anything. So he passed this trait down to his daughter.

I'm glad your Dad is liking the new facility so far. I hope this works out for him and his mobility improves.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 03-09-2018 at 08:57 AM.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:26 AM   #345  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

I appreciate your kind words about getting my gut back in order before worrying about weight loss, but its gone up so much that I at least want to not be gaining.
I am over 180 again, and was 173 before Christmas. I ate soooo poorly when Dad was sick and in the grieving weeks afterward.
Because of the gluten free part of the diet, I think I can be low carb and get on with things pretty well. I think the potatoes and rice could be skipped and just have more veggies, I just have to make that a priority.
I messed up yesterday, a client brought home-made chocolate chip cookies as a gift for us, and I had one for a treat, forgetting the gluten free. I had it in my mouth and half eaten without even thinking, no wonder I have weight issues! So am basically starting from scratch again. In the meantime, since I am off for the next week, i am going to create my own menu to work with.

Trish, I think some version of IF works well for you, you were never a breakfast person, and you did well with it for a while. Eating out brings challenges for you though, so plan for that. I am glad things are going ok for your Daddy in the new place. Its off to a good start and i hope they will continue to work well with your family.

Carol, do have your doctor check out all the possibilities it may be a simple fix, no matter what the issue.
Closed Thread