Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 10:37 PM   #406  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Trish, what was the brand of yogurt you got in Walmart? The one I got at Aldi's wasn't any cheaper that the Cabot I bought at the grocery store, so there's no need to make a special trip to Aldi's if I can get something similar at Walmart. I try to eat a few walnut pieces a day so I might add that to my yogurt along with some blueberries. I don't know when I'm going to eat it if I do a one meal day, but I'll figure it out. I plan on varying my days between one, two and zero meals per day, however it works out. Even Dr Fung said that you body adapts very well to whatever plan you do so it's best to vary it. I felt pretty good not eating all day. I got a little headachy last night and am starting to get it again now, but I think that's the low carb flu and I will get through it.

I forgot to take the VitD3 again today. Tomorrow I fill my pill box for the week so I will take it then.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:28 AM   #407  

DH wants to go out for breakfast. Grrrrr Sunday is so crowded for breakfast. Our local McDonald's is closed for remodeling so we have to go 5 miles away to the big one or to a sit down restaurant. I so don't want to. Once I eat in the morning it just gets my appetite going, but I'll try, to be nice. The big McDonald's in the McDonald's Museum. It's really nice, and a lot of people stop there off the turnpike to see it. Lots of old memorabilia there. We've seem it so much it's nothing new to us. LOL
Old 03-18-2018, 12:28 PM   #408  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Carol Sue The yogurt I got is Greek God's Yogurt. I was so excited that I found one with the right probiotics that I didn't even notice it has honey in it, but that is okay because I will eat it during my RM with fruit and make it a dessert to close the meal with since I seem to think I need a dessert at the end of RM.

I don't fry chicken very often, but I fried it the way my Mama always did by double dipping in flour with milk in between which is something I never do any more. I remember thinking that I really didn't need to dip it twice because the flour stuck to it so well, but for some reason I was so hungry for it yesterday. However, I didn't have enough veggies to off set it. I bought a package of Green Giant veggie tots. They are made with cauliflower, broccoli and cheese and I cooked them in the oven per package instructions and they were awful. That package will go in the trash. I think I could make some that would taste great but won't buy those any more. DH hated them.

Any way I was too tired to go cook veggies to add to the meal. Although I don't balance the RM as CALP says, I do try to eat a lot of veggies with my meal since I read about it in the Reader's Digest book about Magic Foods for Better Blood Sugar. I paid for this over sight on the scales. I'm up 3.2 lbs this morning. I won't be making that mistake again. Just makes me so mad because is it is like taking 1 step forward and 3 steps backwards. I don't think drinking whey in the morning does anything for me either, but hard to tell when I planned poorly yesterday. I should have planned for more veggies just in case.

So while I was OP yesterday and can still count it as a successful OP Day 2, it didn't turn out so good. Today is better. I got up and put a roast with the potatoes and carrots in a crockpot for our dinner after while. I have a salad planned and the Greek yogurt and fruit cup of berries for dessert. I had 1/2 avocado, 2 eggs and 2 sl bacon for breakfast with my coffee. I'm making tea to drink along with water today. I am including zucchini squash with my meal as well as the recommended salad. So today should be turn out pretty good.

Carol Sue What do you eat when you go to McDonald's? It's hard to pick a good breakfast there, but I used to get their Egg McMuffin when I went there. I can't remember if they were the ones who had the Canadian bacon egg McMuffin or not. DH and I used to stop and get breakfast at McDonalds or Burger King. One had bacon or sausage cheese and one of them offered the Canadian bacon which I loved when I could get it. Even though I was eating the bread, I was getting as much protein as possible. Makes it hard to stay LC when we have to eat in those places. What about their egg plate. I've gotten that before too.

This is my day not to go see Daddy. I called him and he didn't sound all that good to me today. I'll be glad to hear from DS after she and her DH go see him. I have to wonder if this is going to turn out the way we want it or not. DS and I have talked about how this thing with his bp going way low and then coming back up is doing real bad thing to his system. I don't see how it can be good. It is almost like everything is working against him. He has been ready to go on and be with my Mama in Heaven and he has been telling me for a long time that I have to realize it is going to happen. As he told my nephew that night at the hospital "that is the way it works". He talked to me the other day about how he cannot even begin to comprehend how beautiful Heaven is going to be. I know from my experience with others who have gone one that when they start talking about Heaven, they it isn't to long until they leave us.

DS and I talk about how we don't want him to live like he is right now, but it isn't going to be easy. I think it will be harder for her because she has taken care of him for years and I think she will be lost for a while when he is gone. Maybe that is why I'm here. I just feel like we are close to the end of the chapter of life with him here. I am so grateful that I am a Christian because I know where he will be and he will be happy and I know I will see him again. Thank God for this will give me peace to get through those days when they come.

Have a blessed Sunday.
Old 03-18-2018, 02:26 PM   #409  

I just lost my post. Grrrr

Trish, it makes me sad to hear you speak that way about your Dad, but it is true, and it sounds as if you are facing facts and preparing yourself for what might happen. Nobody lives forever. Your Dad has lived a long life and up until recently was mobile and able to get around and do the things he wanted to do. That is quality of life. If he does not pull through this, he will not have the quality of life he had. I think the longer you have your parents the harder it is when you lose them. But it's helpful when you realize that they are going on to a better place to join those who went before them. You and your family are in my prayers.

When I go to McDonald's I like to get the Egg McMuffin. That is the one with the canadian bacon. I order it without cheese, and on a good day I do not eat the english muffin. On a bad day, I do. Today we had a BOGO coupon. DH does not like canadian bacon so we got the sausage and egg McMuffins. I got mine without cheese, and very begrudgingly threw away the muffin. Sometimes DH gets the Big Breakfast, which is eggs, sausage, biscuit and hash browns, or you can get it to include a side of pancakes.

I am trying to limit my carbs to veggies only but I'm taking one day at a time. I can't always do that. I am still at 199, but it's wiggling down toward 198. I lose very slowly no matter what I do.

Oh my, I think I better stop reading the internet. LOL I earlier posted that I was going to limit my fruit because I read that fructose contributes to fatty liver. After that I started to read about fatty liver, and I checked some of my blood work records I have for 2014 and 2015. It seems that my enzymes are not only low, but a little too low. Further reading told me that low enzymes occur in the elderly and can indicate fraility and low mortality rate. So it looks like I have to find a way to raise mine! I searched to find ways to raise them, but could only find ways to lower them. I guess I have to do the opposite in order to raise them, like eating fatty meats and drinking alcohol. Two things we are told NOT to do. LOL So I had a glass of wine with my dinner. I think exercise is another way to raise them. This is a blood test that I have lined up for May, so I will get more current reading then.

All this is making me dizzy.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 03-18-2018 at 06:05 PM.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:21 PM   #410  

Today was great! I had my egg and sausage for breakfast. No lunch. DH ate lunch so he wasn't hungry at dinner time so I had sauteed cabbage and onion with some shredded beef roast mixed in. It was very good. Then DH said he couldn't eat anything unless he went to Walmart to get bread, so we went to Walmart. We have Subway in our Walmart, so he said he wanted a foot long Subway for his dinner, and would I eat some. I said no, so he said never mind. He can't have it unless I eat some of it. Ok, fine. Then on the way home he wanted McDonald's fish sandwiches. He brought them home and ate one and asked me if I wanted the other one. I said no. I have no idea what he did with it, but it's gone. Why do I have to eat some of everything he eats? And anyway, I thought he had nothing to eat unless he got bread. ?? Just now I remembered I didn't have my yogurt and blueberries. I said to myself, "If my blood sugar is below 120 I will have it." It was 96. Never do I get BG below 100. So I guess this is working for me, at least for BG. I don't know about weight. I am not hungry at all. I did take my Vit D3 today and my Metformin, but only 1 mg of Glimiperide this morning.

I am very tired. I will go to bed now, at 8:20 and watch some TV until DH comes in.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:11 AM   #411  

S/C/G: 272/See Ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

well this has been one of the worst weeks of my life. Last Saturday evening our house burned down. I was away with the youth group and got the call from my husband that it happened. Not the best week of eating, we are staying with friends (really good friends who allowed this large family to invade their lives) We lost everything including the scale - which considering what I have been eating well... but I have to get back to eating right because my fasting bs is creeping up daily.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:49 AM   #412  

Donna Bless your heart. How terrible. I will be praying for you and your family. Not the best time to have to think of eating, but I understand about the FBS. I'm fighting that myself. Stress is something that isn't easy to control. I think it takes a lot of prayer.

I didn't do well yesterday. I just went off the deep end. I can't let what is going on with my Daddy derail me so or I'm going to keep gaining weight and I cannot do that. I am thinking of just going IE for now because eating meals plus snacks are going to really get me into trouble. I sure need to get my act together. I know I will but it seems so hard right now to get back on track and stay there.

On the run. Got to meet Daddy and DS at CHF Clinic. Waiting for them to open now so I can call and request them to check Vit D when they do his blood work.

BBL
Old 03-19-2018, 11:41 AM   #413  

Oh Donna, I am so sorry to hear this. Your family is in my prayers, certainly. I'm thankful that no one was injured and that you have these special friends who have taken your family into their home. It's hard to understand how God could let this happen, but I know you have faith in Him that he will bring your through this. Weight is not the important thing right now, but you know blood sugar is. That can be coming from stress rather than food. Just do the best you can under the circumstances.

Trish, we all go off the deep end now and then, but we get back up and continue on. You are also having a very stressful time with your Dad.

I had a WHOOSH this morning. Completely passed up 198 and went to 197. This is where it gets scary for me. How do I hang onto this loss and continue down? It has not happened in the past, but this is not the past. This is now. On the other hand, FBG was 159. I sure didn't expect that, but I will continue on as best I can and should see improvement as time goes on. I want to eliminate the word "try" from my vocabulary, and just expect good results. Today is 1 meal a day. I cannot say I am fasting, because I am having coffee with my SF creamer, which does contain some carbs. And I'm drinking 3 bottles of water per day. I know a lot of people do more water than that, but right now, this is what is working for me. It's a lot more than I was drinking before. Also, in the past I was refilling the bottles from the tap, and now I will drink only the bottled water and see if that makes a difference.
Old 03-19-2018, 06:08 PM   #414  

We saw Daddy's cardiologist this morning. I tell you this man is weird, but he is an excellent doctor. He came to Daddy's rescue last year saving his life and he has done the same again I do believe. He is definitely sent by God Himself.

His NP had seen us in the hallway when we told the nurse Daddy could not stand up to be weighed as he was in a wheelchair from nursing home. She looked at me and asked, "How long has this been going on?" I told her for over a month. So when the doctor came in, he looked at me and asked what was going on. I told him I was so glad we were seeing him because just maybe he could help us. We explained to him all we had gone through and that we still have no answers. We told him that when he stands up, he stands a few seconds and then goes down because his knees give out.

He walked over and had the nurse take his bp and then he told Daddy to stand up. Daddy told him that he couldn't, but he told Daddy to try and when Daddy tried and couldn't, he had the nurse take his bp again. He said Daddy was on too much medicine so he made changes on some of those. He checked his grip for left and right hand and some other things and then he looked at me and said "This man has had a stroke". He learned all this in less than 10 minutes. He also told me "You know he cannot live independently any more. He needs to be in assisted living". He told me that even when he gets better he has to be in assisted living. So I guess that problem is solved, we just have to sell Daddy on it.

We are just so thrilled to have a diagnosis and I think it helped him to have an answer as well because he couldn't understand why he worked so hard and nothing was working. It is going to help therapy to know how to treat him as well because they didn't know what was going on either. Maybe this will relieve a lot of the stress that all of us have been feeling and I can get serious about my eating.

I am not going to follow a diet plan. I think I eat too much food. I know I work hard to eat the food specified on a diet and it does not satisfy me. Today I was I too big a hurry to get across town to CHF clinic because I wanted to be there when Daddy got there. I saw them drive up and was out there to wheel him in myself. I try to do for him what I would want. Any way I made a couple of Sara Lee Multigrain toast with a mixture I made of Greek yogurt, banana and peanut butter and it was delicious and kept me satisfied all day. I came home and DH wanted BLT with fries. I decided to have that and no salad. You know when you make a salad and count all the calories in it, it is a lot of food.

I remember telling S.C. doctor that I didn't understand why I couldn't lose weight since I eat healthy food. He said, "Maybe you eat too much healthy foods". I'm thinking he is right. So I'm going to try just eating what I want and counting the calories. I also decided that since yesterday turned into high calorie day, then I am going to make this a low calorie day. I've eaten 959 calories today so I will make enough calories to at least make or almost make 1000 calories for the day on MFP.

Carol Sue I need to take the word "try" out of my vocabulary when it comes to food too. However, I want to really try to do JUDDD. I think this is a good time to do it. I know all the things they say about going in and out of keto etc, but I would like to learn to make DD a lower carb day and UD higher carbs although today was not a LC day. I guess I need to go read some of Dr. Fung's info.

When I weighed earlier than usual this morning, my weight was only down 1 lb from yesterday, but when I came home and changed clothes, I was down 3 lbs. If I behave myself today, maybe I'll have a loss.

Sorry this is so long. Have a good day.
Old 03-19-2018, 06:20 PM   #415  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabehealthy View Post
I had a WHOOSH this morning. Completely passed up 198 and went to 197. This is where it gets scary for me. How do I hang onto this loss and continue down? It has not happened in the past, but this is not the past. This is now. On the other hand, FBG was 159. I sure didn't expect that, but I will continue on as best I can and should see improvement as time goes on. I want to eliminate the word "try" from my vocabulary, and just expect good results. Today is 1 meal a day. I cannot say I am fasting, because I am having coffee with my SF creamer, which does contain some carbs. And I'm drinking 3 bottles of water per day. I know a lot of people do more water than that, but right now, this is what is working for me. It's a lot more than I was drinking before. Also, in the past I was refilling the bottles from the tap, and now I will drink only the bottled water and see if that makes a difference.
Congratulations on the woosh!!! I think you are doing something right. You will eventually make this more of a lifestyle. Practice makes perfect you know.

Although I've decided to do JUDDD, I want to continue doing it along with IF and make at least one of my DD a 24 hr fast. I think I can do that by taking one of my DD when days DS goes to see Daddy and make it a 24 hr fast.

I actually feel hope for my Daddy and feel as though I have a chance to change my lifestyle of eating and improve my health at the same time. We have our plan now we just have to work at making it become a lifestyle. We may slip once in a while by choice or sometimes when we have no choice, but we can do this.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:29 PM   #416  

Trish, I am in shock to hear that your Dad had a stroke. It may have been a mild stroke because usually you see one side of the face drooping. It would explain his inability to stand and use his hand. It probably happened one of those times you said he fell, but it was not just a fall, but a stroke. Thank God it wasn't worse. Was he there when the cardiologist said he cannot go home but needs to go into assisted living?

I agree that you should not attempt to eat more food just to satisfy a diet plan. I don't think you should eat more if you are not hungry. Isn't that what got is here in the first place?

I don't understand my situation. I did not eat all day until dinner except for my coffee with SF creamer. I was not hungry, which surprises me. While my dinner was simmering, I ate a salad. It was just iceberg lettuce, with a shredded baby carrot and a shredded radish, and a few slices on onion. Ranch dressing. For dinner I made chicken cacciatore, my version. I browned some boneless, skinless chicken tenders, put them on a plate, then browned some onion and celery in the same pan. To that I added a small can of diced tomato and a can of mushroom pieces. I added the chicken back in, put a lid on it and simmered it for 45 minutes. I grilled some asparagus and made some mashed potatoes. We both like to eat the mixture of tomato and mushrooms. I haven't added up my calories yet, but I know I didn't go over 1000. I will add in whatever I need to satisfy MFP. If I don't, it will not sync to my Fitbit. But I do like to see what number I reached before I doctor it up. LOL

I had my 3 bottles + of water, so another day is under my belt. On to tomorrow. Tomorrow I will have my scrambled eggs for brunch and it will be a 2 meal day. I want to alternate back and forth.

I have had potty issues two days in a row. I don't think it could be from something I ate because I didn't eat that much. Maybe my body is detoxing or something. It seems to be over for today without Immodium. I hope so. I don't want to start taking that every day.

I hope things go well for your Dad and also for you now that you have a more definite diagnosis.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:33 PM   #417  

Carol Sue Yes, Daddy was sitting there, but not sure he heard the doctor although we don't keep anything from him so he knows. In fact, DS started asking him if he can get out of his apartment lease for medical and even asked the doctor if they could write a letter to get him out of it if we needed one and I know Daddy heard that.

I just talked to him and he said that therapy was so excited to have a diagnosis and they really worked him today which he likes. If he can't afford Assisted Living and has to live in the nursing home part of the facility, he will have to have a roommate so I'm praying something will work out so he can be satisfied because he really can't live alone any more. DS daughter wants him to come live with her and her DH, but they can't do that because they like to go and do things. They can't be there all the time. Plus they have 2 big dogs and a pet snake and Daddy couldn't handle that. We have 90 days for him to adjust to the idea of how he will have to live later.

fatmad They had problems getting blood from him today and by the time they got it, the girl forgot to request the check for D level. When she realized she had forgotten it, she told us that she could tell me without the test that his D was low because everybody's is.

I ended up eating broccoli stir-fry and a combo of zucchini yellow squash blend with a little bit of butter added. That brought my calories up to just a little over 1000 calories for today. Eating on my own without a diet to follow, I am able to have a meatless meal in the evening. I will wait until 11:30 for a brunch tomorrow so I can have a 16 hr fast before I eat tomorrow.

My FBS was really high for me this morning @ 190 and I wanted to email my doctor and see if I can take DH Victoza he could not take, but he doesn't think I need to do that. I guess I will wait and she how my new way of eating does because I realize that sometimes stress raises my FBS and I have really been feeling the stress the past few days. DH sees doctor on April 27th so I can see how things go between now and then. If I think I need it, I can call and tell them I want to talk to him while there and make an appointment with DH.

Last edited by pattygirl63; 03-19-2018 at 08:34 PM.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:41 PM   #418  

What a life. Got on FB and saw an up date from my oldest grandson. He is having hernia surgery Wednesday morning for the 3rd time. I called him to see what was going on and learned he was going by himself and was planning to call a cab to go home. I told him I will be there for the surgery and I will go get his prescription and take him home afterwards. I couldn't believe he was going to do this alone. He said he didn't want to bother anyone. I told him I'm not "anyone" I'm his Nana and that is what I'm here for. So I have a full week this week.

We will go see Daddy tomorrow afternoon because DH encourages Daddy. I will be with DGS Wednesday most of the day and then Thursday morning is consultation with team taking care of Daddy and Friday beauty shop and visit Daddy.

I didn't really have a life in SC, but I sure seem to have one now. LOL!!! I'm still glad to be back home.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:15 AM   #419  

Goodbye winter! Hello Spring!

Come join us on the new Spring thread.

https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/dia...ml#post5353490
Closed Thread