Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 07:56 PM   #136  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Hi friends: checking in after a week of ****. My Dad was sick 2 weeks ago. Was in hospital over night, but was able to be treated for pneumonia at home with iv antibiotics by having home care come into his assisted living facility. He went back into hospital briefly twice because of allergic reactions (not sure if it was antibiotics or the tamiflu they gave him in case he had been exposed to the flu in the emergency department. ) in any case, they had to stop the meds.
A few days later (Saturday, a week ago yesterday) he was taken in with what turned out to be atrial fibrillation. We rushed down again, and sadly, his heart was very damaged but this. He was already being treated for heart failure from his previous health problems, but now his heart function would be about 10 percent only. He would need a nursing home, no more independent living. We agreed first with him for a DNR (do not resuscitate) order, and he asked for his grandchildren to come. He said goodbye to us all over the next 24 hours, and kept being surprised when he woke up alive. He chose to discontinue all medical treatment, and we just kept him comfortable. He died Tuesday morning, with me at his side, holding his hand.
Worst day of my life.
I miss him terribly.
And you can imagine my eating and exercise have been terrible, and I am having trouble getting myself in hand again.
I hope to be inspired by a visit today of a friend, she is 66, and very large (300+) and has several health problems but told me she has lost 14 pounds since new years, and is working hard to bring it down further.
SO I will start again tomorrow and plan my meals to be more healthy again, and try to be better again.
Old 01-28-2018, 08:45 PM   #137  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

fatmad I am so sorry about the loss of your Dad. I am dreading facing that same thing with my Daddy. You will be in my prayers dear one. You will get back to your health, but right now you are hurting and adjusting. Just take it one day at a time.
Old 01-28-2018, 09:33 PM   #138  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Fatmad, I am very sorry to hear of the death of your father, and the terrible couple weeks you have gone through with him. It warms my heart that he got to spend his final hours with his family that he loved and that you were with him til the end. I believe that is very important to him and for you, although you may not see it that way now. Please know that we are all praying for you.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:37 AM   #139  

I guess I should have accepted the weight I was yesterday, because today is even worse. I am back up to 202. This is my normal. Every time I get below 200 I get so cocky about it and end up blowing it. I don't know why I can't just continue on. I want to quit, but I signed up for 2 challenges that last through the whole year. Who quits on the first month? LOL But at this rate, the best I will do is 12 lbs the whole year. That is not acceptable. I can sit here and say I don't know why I went back up or that it's water weight, but I have been logging my food, and I KNOW I have been going over on my calories. I have been eating when not hungry, and finishing my food after reaching satiety. I have been snacking on chocolate and pretzels, and all the things that I've said I'm not going to do anymore. These bad habits are so ingrained, and they are so hard to break. So it's back to the drawing board.
Old 01-29-2018, 11:09 AM   #140  

Carol Sue I know how you feel. I did the same thing. I've had about 3 weeks that I didn't go out for breakfast with Daddy and DS and I haven't done any better. The new batteries are showing the results of my bad behavior. Don't beat yourself up. I'm not going to beat me up either. I'm just going to make myself do what I know works for me. You do the same girl.

I too know what caused my weight to go back up to 221 and the FBS to be 164 this morning. Late night snacking does it every time. Daddy is trying to change his eating too to lose weight. I finally told him that it would be better for me if we start going to Denny's to eat breakfast because I can eat eggs and bacon there. I can even have an omelet and stay OP. It is a little further for me to drive, but worth it for me to stay OP. I can make that fit CAD perfectly.

I love my doctor and I know a lot of what he says is good, but I'm going back to what has worked for me in the past. I am going back on the modified CAD way of eating. It works for me when I do it the way I did years ago. The funny thing is that when I married DH 15 yrs ago, I was doing this and I was not a part of any CAD group or any other group and I had gotten down to 165 lbs. I ate a low carb breakfast, whatever DH and I ate for main meal and I lived on tuna salads. He would take his Mother to the doctor and come home with a hamburger. He would ask me before he left if I wanted one and I would say No. He had a big package of potato chips sitting on the coffee table for his snack. I NEVER was even tempted to eat it. For one thing, I like ruffles and he likes classic so I never thought of even touching them. Oh where did I change?

I got on a low carb group where we logged our food plan for the day. They were very critical. Many times I would have yogurt for a low carb meal and they would make remarks about that was not low carb. Of course now people use yogurt in some recipes in place of sour cream. Some where, I lost my confidence in what I was doing and I've been on a roller coaster ever since. No more.

I am going to do CAD for now, but I did find a FB site on Ketogenic for beginners. The guy evidently has a youtube site where he tells you how to eat. DH watches youtube on tv all the time, I think I will try to learn his name and look him up to see what he says. I tried to find the link to share it here because he explains how lemons and ACV works to slow down the digestion controlling insulin. He talks about insulin a lot. I got the feeling that if you have a cheat meal with carbs you should use lemons to slow it down. I'm going to try to go back and hear it a gain. But I think the time to use ACV and or lemon is when you eat more carbs. I'm not sure. He has a ketogenic cookbook that looks good too. I don't think I want to do Ketogenics, but I'm sure I could get some great info and low carb recipes from his site.

DS is dealing with getting DBIL wrist fixed this week. He will have to have surgery because of the way it broke. They do things so differently these days. Also they are dealing with workman's comp which DS they don't like here in Waco. I hope he has it fixed soon. They go for x-ray today and see the surgeon tomorrow morning. I had to switch med day to Monday because I had to go do Daddy's meds on a Monday when we had a snow threat. DH and I will go this afternoon and I'll do his meds and then we will take him out to eat. I think we are going to Cheddar's. That will be my RM and I can still eat a healthy RM. One thing the guy said when explaining eating carbs is to be sure not to eat fat with it. So I'm thinking that the regular salad dressing plus the lemon water with it was what caused my potty issues when I went to TX Roadhouse. I always use Lite dressing at home or don't use lemon when I eat full fat dressing. Good to know. I'll watch that today.

Guess I better get busy. I want to do 20 or 30 minutes on the bike before I have breakfast. I have to work at getting this stupid weight off. I know it is temporary but I want the scale moving downward.

famad Prayers going your way.

Have a good day.
Old 01-29-2018, 01:09 PM   #141  

Trish, the thing that makes me angry with myself is that if I went back to 2011 when I first joined 3FC I would see that I posted the same story, over and over and over. I see other people who go on a diet and in 6 months they are posting before and after pictures. The only pictures I have of myself that are good are from the 70s, when I was thin and diligent about my eating and exercise. I don't know why I can't get that back. I have no idea how I allowed myself to gain this weight. I used to be very critical of people who could not control their weight. Maybe this is pay back. I can blame it on DH because he influences me to go off plan, but I am the one who puts the food in my mouth, not him.

I don't like to be part of a group where people tell you what you are doing wrong. When I do something wrong, I know it. I beat myself up enough without having some strangers doing it too. Also, low carb is individual in my opinion. If I used to eat 300 gm of carb a day and now I'm eating 100 gm of carb a day, I have cut my carbs by 66%. I know that yogurt is not low carb in the strict low carb world, but it has health benefits that far outweigh the carbs IMO. My friend cut her carbs to 75gm per day and lost most of her weight that way, but then cut down to 50 gm per day to lower her A1c. She doesn't listen to what anyone says, even me. She is doing what works for her and that's all she cares about. I think that's the way we all should be.

I would like to know more about that keto guy you're speaking of, more to see what he has to say about insulin. I realize that insulin control is the key here. If you remember, please post, plus where I can find more of his info.
Old 01-29-2018, 02:14 PM   #142  

Carol Sue The name of this guys website is The Adaptive Body Boost. He is a boy builder and I don't want to follow his plan, but he does explain things the way Dr. Fung and others do. I saw something on FB where my DGS other grandmother must be doing Ketogenic diet as she had a message on there that says you eat 70% fat. That right there tells me I would never do a Keto diet.

We are going to take Daddy to Cheddar's. I looked up their menu. I am going to try a citrus salmon meal they have. I would like to find a way that I might like to eat it. The calories are less than 500 and will be a good RM for today.

I figured out a different way to eat my eggs with veggies for CAD CM. I took Picsweet onion, celery and pepper frozen veggies and Birds Eye riced cauliflower and Jimmy Dean crumbled reduced fat turkey sausage and nuked it while I fried my eggs in Spam so I could have over easy instead of always having scrambled. Put the eggs over the veggie/sausage mixture and topped it with cheese. This gives me a different way to make my eggs for CM breakfast.

I did 20 minutes on the bike and I ate breakfast at noon. My bs was 124. That was the lowest it has ever been before breakfast. I am going to the store to get a few groceries so I will get some canned tuna and salmon. I'll make enough salad with it to have it for a few days to have a CM each evening. That way I won't be tempted to grab junk food because I don't want to cook. I'm hoping if I keep it made in the refrigerator all the time that it will be easier to stay OP. I know CAD works if I work it plus it is easier to do IF/CAD combo.
Old 01-29-2018, 02:38 PM   #143  

Trish, I could probably do Keto if I lived alone, but not with DH. I guess if I worked really hard at it I could eventually get him to accept me doing it, but it would take some getting used to for him. I don't know why he wants me to eat. I have explained to him that the reason I was thin when we met was because I had my own way of eating. He tells me "eat what you want" but when the time comes, he changes his tune. I love eggs, chicken, tuna etc and could eat just that with salad and a few veggies.

Won't start today, though, because I seem to be having a little sugar binge today. I'm just feeling sorry for myself, and I don't know why. I am very fortunate to have the life I have. I just need to work this out, somehow.

There is a woman on another forum who went from 293 to 114. She said this is the third time she has lost the weight and the other two times she tried to add some carb back in her diet. It failed, and she gained it all back and some extra each time. So this time she did one meal a day. Every day she eats chicken breast and salad, makes her own dressing. So she is not eating high fat. This proves to me that you don't HAVE to eat high fat for it to work. She rarely changes anything. She said that she is so bad, that changing things just wakes up her taste buds and she started to binge again. This time she has maintained for 3 years and refuses to regain.

The point I'm trying to make is, each of us has to decide how badly we want this and what we're willing to do to achieve it.

I looked up Adaptive Body Boost and that appears to be a program he's selling. By googling just his name I found some other of his sites and some videos. I think I'll concentrate on them.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 01-29-2018 at 03:05 PM.
Old 01-30-2018, 08:44 AM   #144  

I guess it wasn't water weight because I'm still at 202 this morning. But my blood sugar is better. It was 121 at 3AM and 124 at 7 am, so I am happy that it didn't go up much during that time. I guess you can't get everything all at once. I think part of the problem was what I was eating. I had more sugar and less fiber. I had scrambled eggs for dinner and thought that would help but it didn't. I will have to be patient.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:31 AM   #145  

S/C/G: 272/See Ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

I'm back, been off not doing the right things for my body and paying for it with extra weight. Over the past year and a half I've gained about 20 pounds (depending on the day) so I pretty solidly left onderland and I'm at 208 this morning. I had surgery in March of 2016 (hysterectomy plus reconstruction due to prolapse) and had two more surgeries after that the last being in August of 16.

My two elderly dogs passed away about a year apart and since then quite honestly I have given myself permission to mess up. We also adopted a puppy and he's now a big dog - so it has been quite awhile since I posted. We adopted the puppy because our lab Frank was so depressed after his brother Rusty died. Frank lasted another year and a half and died just after Christmas this year. Now Wilbur (the puppy) is sad so...

On a bright note, I became the grandma to my son's stepdaughter (he is adopting her) and my son and his wife had a baby in August. My son remarried after his first wife passed away and he is so happy now!

Hope to check in here more often. My fasting blood sugar has been slowly creeping up and I have to get that under control.
Old 01-30-2018, 11:07 AM   #146  

So happy to see you back, Donna. I have not made much progress since you were here last but I'm still trying, and won't give up.

We lost a dog a couple years ago. We found a tick on him and removed it, thinking that was all that was necessary. Apparently it was a bad tick and he went down hill so quickly after that. I felt so guilty that we didn't take him to the vet to get him checked out. Now we have another dog we adopted. He's about 5 years old now and his name is Rusty. He is spoiled and I don't think he wants any siblings. LOL

I know life gets in the way sometimes, but I hope you stick around.

It's weird, but we had a step grandson, but then they got a divorce and that grandson was taken from us. I was sad, but now we have a bio grandson so we're happy again. They make life fun.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 01-30-2018 at 11:09 AM.
Old 01-30-2018, 02:41 PM   #147  

Donna Welcome back. You have been through a lot. Sorry for the loss of your pets. DH and I don't have pets any more. We just decided not to go that round again although we often think about it. My niece recently lost one of her dogs to cancer. They just rescued and adopted another sooner than they had planned because Chaplain was so lonely and depressed without Annie. They are all happier with Sugar although they still miss Annie. Annie was so good for my niece like a therapy companion when she went through her divorce from her 1st husband. In fact, she says Annie actually approved of her second husband before they even decided to marry. She felt like Annie picked him out for her. Actually, someone had abused and left Chaplain stranded and Annie was the one who found him one morning when my niece was walking her. Almost like Annie picked her family.

It is good that you are getting back to controlling your bs now. We all have our moments. I'm working at getting mine under control again. I'm considered "in control" per doctor, but I want it better. The weight seems to play a big part. I hope you will stick around.

Carol Sue I don't know why it is so much easier for us to gain than to lose it. I wish I had done better than I did throughout the holidays. Just what little I ate off has got me where I am today with my weight. Now I feel like I am starting over.

We went to Walmart and got our meds. Doctor gotten a fast okay from our Part D insurance for the Jaurdiance. The doctor and I both wish Tony had not paid for it as he could have called and got the okay for the Victoza since the 1 month supply was $237.62. I emailed the doctor as soon as I got home. His nurse called me first thing this morning and told me to tell him to take the Jaurdiance for the month and they would go ahead and call in the Victoza since it might take a while for them to approve it. Then I could see for sure how much it is going to cost. I found out they are hoping that he can take it and come off some of the other diabetes meds he is on. I pray Victoza will cost what I think it is going to cost. The Jaurdiance is the medicine the insurance company doesn't want to cover. You would think they would have made Invokana harder to get instead since it has a black box risk on it because it causes amputations. Oh well.

We did go eat at Cheddar's. I had the Citrus Miso Salmon. It was supposed to come with broccoli and rice. When I got my order, it has a variety of green salad. DH wanted me to have them change it but I really didn't want the broccoli so I ate it. I didn't really like it so I've decided that maybe I don't like salmon. The only salmon I ever liked was salmon patties. I understand there is a way to make it with pork rinds. Perhaps I should try making that. DH won't eat them because he said they served them all the time when he was in school and he just got tired of them.

I read on FB about beets drink. I looked it up and I love the benefits of beets. It lowers triglycerides and LDL cholesterol, but some how raises the HDL plus it is good for blood pressure and bs. It helps with inflammation and digestive problems plus the biggy for me is that it is good for circulation. My Mama had problems with circulation and I honestly believe the problems I feel in my feet that no doctor seems to ever listen to me about has something to do with my circulation. So I bought a jar of it and will start taking it today.

I also bought jar of the Slimquick drink for weight loss for women. It is supposed to help women lose weight 3x faster. I either too it wrong the last time I drank it or they changed it. I suspect it was me. It says not to take more than the 2 servings within a 24 hr period. It is supposed to be 2 scoops in water 2x a day and drank with a meal or snack. 1 in the morning and one 6 hrs later. I drank one with some berries added and had it with my eggs and Canadian bacon CM Breakfast. I will have the other one around 6 with a CAD CM. DH wants soup and BLT minus the L for our main meal. I decided that I will drink the beet drink with my RM. I am going to have a salad and a BLT.

I made it last night without eating any snacks. To be honest, I really prayed the Lord would help me not to eat anything else after I ate. Prayer works. My weight was back down to 219.4. My FBS was 151 down from 164 from yesterday. I took it again this morning before breakfast and it was 134, not as low as yesterday, but then I had just used the recumbent bike about 30 or 45 minutes before. So that is probably why.

I woke up this morning and told the Lord that when I turn 75 in August, I do not want to still be at this weight that I am right now. I thought about what I need to do and decided "It is my choice". I had a Sunday School friend who used to say "It is all about attitude". I'm thinking it is all about "making a choice to change my attitude". So I'm making the choice to make the changes I need to make to change my attitude.

I got up late and had so many things happen to keep me from exercising. I decided that "I have to START today making time to do it". I started riding the bike and the next thing I knew I had gone 25 minutes instead of 20. I feel good about having 2 of my 5 days done.

fatmad
Old 01-30-2018, 03:27 PM   #148  

Trish, I love salmon. I could eat if more often but DH isn't crazy about it. He likes everything cooked well done and salmon gets over cooked that way. I buy bags of it at Walmart and cook it on my grill pan. Sometimes I don't like it in restaurants because of some of the sauces it's served with. I also like canned red salmon and can eat it right out of the can. I love salmon patties but I never think to make them. DH would eat them. They don't have to cook really long because the canned salmon is already cooked. They just need to be browned. If it wasn't for DH I know I would eat a lot healthier and be thinner. LOL

I also like beets and eat a lot of canned beets. I like them with ACV and I put hard cooked eggs in the juice with ACV to make pickled eggs. They advertise a product called Super Beets on our local radio station. It's probably similar to what you bought. They also sell something similar at Walmart.

I can't get over the price of some medicines. Makes you wonder if it's really worth it.

DH was hungry and made his own dinner already. He made hamburgers and french fries. I don't know what I will eat. I'm not hungry yet.
Old 01-30-2018, 04:19 PM   #149  

Trish, I have been reading so much about fasting blood sugar because I'm trying to figure out why my blood sugar continues to rise in the morning when I don't eat, as opposed to yours, which falls the longer you go without food. I just read this article that states that IF is not for everyone, because sometimes fasting causes a rise in cortisol, which raises blood sugar. I have never heard of this guy, so I want to google to see what I can find out about him. There's no way to know if what he says is true, but it makes sense to me. It seems that I have a choice...either stop the longer fasts, or take my Glimiperide in the AM even though I'm not eating. That might be the best choice at this point because I don't want to go back to eating breakfast if I'm not hungry.

https://chriskresser.com/intermitten...d-blood-sugar/

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 01-30-2018 at 09:16 PM.
Old 01-31-2018, 10:08 AM   #150  

Carol Sue I heard the president say he is working to get meds brought down so we can buy them. I certainly hope he can and I wonder if they aren't trying to get all the money they can from us until they have to lower it. I know my doctor and my Daddy's doctor really are griping about the high cost and have said they hope he does what he says he will about it. I'm not sure it won't be a really battle to get it done though.

My FBS was 145 this morning. Weight stayed the same 219.4. I'm not on any certain plan as nothing seems to stick. I think I am going to just learn how to eat what I like within the number of calories I should have each day.
I will drink the Slimquick as it does have a lot of fiber and protein and of course I plan to continue the beets drink and may eat more beets. I am working on getting my circulation better as well as lower the triglycerides and LDL cholesterol. I need to read the Magic Foods for better blood sugar again.

I was looking at low carb ketogenic cookbooks on Amazon when I was ordering some things from there. Did you know there is a way to eat vegetarian low carb? I actually so a cookbook for vegetarian low carbing. I think it might have been free on the kindle so I just might check it out. I don't want to be total vegetarian, but I would like to see if I could implement it into my woe and I'm sure there are some good veggie recipes.

Going to meet Daddy for breakfast this morning at Whataburger. He does need to get out more otherwise he gets very depressed. I think he felt so bad the last couple of weeks because he was taking allergy medicine he bought at Walmart. They were antihestimines and he was taking one in the morning and one at night. I think adding that to his Xanax that he takes twice a day was making him sleep all the time and he just didn't want to function. He usually makes himself exercise everyday and just had a hard time doing it. Any way I think me getting out 3 days a week is good for me. It gives some structure to my life. LOL

I've decided if a 94 year old man can make himself ride his recumbent bike, walk around his apartment for exercise and do the therapy leg exercises everyday that they taught him to do, surely I can get in the habit of doing the same. I'll do some walking at HEB today and then I will have to work in a 20 minute bike sometime this afternoon when I get back. However, I could skip today and do Saturday to make my 5 days.

I didn't get to read the link you shared yet, but I will check it out later. I'm thinking about just checking my FBS each morning and then when eating at home, I can check it just before our main meal. Or I might just do the FBS and no other time and save my strips.

Have a good day.
Closed Thread