Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 10:37 AM   #121  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Really am busy! We have had a flood in the lower part of our wee Village and I've been helping out by feeding the first responders coffee and soup.

We have had more snow this year than I can remember and then the coldest March since 1940. This meant when all the snow started to melt, the lakes are still frozen and the Upper Lake decided to make it's own creek to get to the Lower Lake! Lots of excitement and people leaving their flooded homes. Luckily everyone has relatives nearby so we did not have to set up emergency shelters as we did after the Ice Storm of 1998 when all Eastern Ontario lost power.

Despite it all I have stuck to low carb and am just on the cusp of getting into the 180s. Needless to say, I've not gone to the gym.
Old 04-12-2014, 04:25 PM   #122  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Hey girls you are doing great. So proud of everyone.

Ruthie So sorry about the flooding. Looks there is going be to be more snow this next week in some of the upper states, sure hope you get a break. DS said the other day, "Well, it's always cold again before Easter". You are a busy and sweet lady. Good job with staying OP through it all.

I got my free stuff from Atkins the other day. I ate the chocolate bar and it is good. I also like the texture. I'm leaving MFP. I'll be tracking by hand using the carb counter they sent me. I've decided not to worry too much about the fiber except for high fiber low carb veggies. In trying to get the fiber up, my carbs have been too high the last few days and my fbs has slowly been edging up. It was 135 this morning. If I have to eat just meat and veggies to keep the bs down, I'll do it. I'll just pick out my favorite meats and favorite veggies and make my meals that way. Now that I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that Atkins lowers my fbs and other bs readings, I refuse to lose ground. I've always prayed for the Lord to show me the way to lose weight in a way that I could be healthy while doing it. Since Atkins is obviously that way for me, I need to "just do it".

I read something quite interesting on Atkins site today by one of the ladies who worked with Dr. Atkins and has been in on writing all the Atkins books with him and the new Atkins books as well. She explains why she agrees with the new way of Atkins with the veggies that Dr. Atkins didn't.

She said Dr. Atkins and another doctor observed the diets of certain Indians and the Eskimos who didn't eat carbs. However, she said she felt that we need the fiber that we get in our vegetables because we don't have the pure foods without toxins like the Indians and Eskimos had. How many of us can buy free-range animals etc. I paraphrase. You can read it on the website if you want to look it up to read more about it.

I just ordered the new Atkins Made Easy book as it has a better guide on what to eat for each phase according to the reviews I read. The reviews I read on Amazon said that it makes it easier to explain to people how this is really a healthy way of eating. Actually the new Atkins is just eating high protein, high fiber low carb veggies, good healthy fats, seeds and nuts and in Phase 2 you can add low carb fruits. Eventually as you build up your carbs to the amount your body tolerates, you can eat some grains. Some can and some cannot eat them on a regular basis. However, either way there is nothing unhealthy about that. I can live with that.

Carol Sue I wasn't impressed with the faux potato salad with the cauliflower, but I will try the "rice". I like the way you fixed it and will copy follow how you did it.

I also got some cream cheese today to make the lc muffin I think Donna or Shannon told us about. The one we used to make was with just flaxseed meal. I made one for a hamburger yesterday and just couldn't do it. I used my double fiber bread and saved the muffin for an egg McMuffin type breakfast this morning. The almond flour will make it so much better and it is Atkins friendly.

Rennie, Donna, Shannon and others Hi

Mad Hope you are doing well. Probably staying busy. Miss you.

I'm editing this to say that after looking at the Atkins carb counter, I don't guess I am nor have I ever really been on Induction because I used some foods low carb foods during Induction that either isn't allowed until Phase 2 or 3. Since the foods I was using didn't keep me from losing weight or didn't keep my fbs from going down into normal range, I will continue eating them while counting carbs and just consider myself eating low carb in general. Not Atkins low carb.

Have a good evening.

Last edited by pattygirl63; 04-12-2014 at 08:12 PM.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:03 PM   #123  
~Shannon

S/C/G: 210.8/see ticker/140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in

Oh my! I just had a VERY off plan dinner because we were out for many hours unexpectedly today, it way past dinner and the hubby wanted to pick up Chinese! I knew even if I got some kind of non breaded chicken and veggies the sauce would be full of carbs and I probably wouldn't like it anyway so I just decided to blow it up completely and eat what I like, spring rolls and crab rangoon, lol! Super carbs! LOL! I'm almost afraid to check my BS before bed. But, I'm continuing to practice giving myself grace. I think that was the only way off plan meal I've had in over a week. That is really great for me and I have been steadily losing (198 this morning) so honestly I'm not upset with myself. Most everyone has a totally off plan meal once in a while. Tomorrow I will drink lots of water and be back on plan. I just bought a ton of new produce, including two heads of cauliflower! I think I will plan meals for the week before bed.

I also got a very nice gift today...a Vitamix. I've been wanting one for a while but because of the ridiculous price, never said anything to my husband or even thought I'd ever have one. My husband was laid off in February but fortunately found a new position and started it within a month. A blessing of the layoff was a nice severance package after 14 years with the company. So, today we were at a club store and there was a Vitamix rep with a traveling road show doing demonstrations. I got up my nerve to tell my husband that I had been wanting one. So after watching several demonstrations and asking questions he agreed to get it for me as my anniversary, mother's day and birthday gift (and probably Christmas, lol). I'm excited to get going with it. I did a Pinterest search and there are lots of recipes from low carb bloggers using it so hopefully it will be a valuable asset to my new way of eating.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:40 AM   #124  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Shannon, I wouldn't worry too much about one off-plan meal. Remember, you are pre-diabetic, not necessarily diabetic. I know it's serious too, but you are doing very well and tackling this before it gets out of hand. I will have to google Vitamix, because I don't know what it is.

Ruthie - How terrible that you are having all that flooding! Good for you for pitching in and helping out. I hope things dry up soon.

Trish, I think you're doing well with what you're doing even if you are eating some things that aren't on induction. The results are good, and that's what it's all about.

The one good thing about DH being sick is he is not eating much, so I am eating when and what I want. I usually eat what I want, but very often I eat when he wants to when I could really wait awhile to eat. Last night before bed my BS was 104. I was shocked! This morning it is 126, but my fasting is always higher. These numbers are so much lower than I was having before. I remember when I was having good A1cs I still had a fasting bg in the 120's. My doctor didn't care, as long as my A1c was good. I am still not eating obvious carbs. I haven't been tracking on FitDay so I don't know what my actual carbs are, but they were running around 30-35 per day. I think if I decide to go lower I could now that I'm used to not having carbs. This morning, I'm thinking I would like to have eggs with toast. I have some of my high fiber bread in the freezer, but when I think about it, I'm afraid I will start craving bread again, so maybe I'll pass. I don't have to give in to every little craving. I'm getting stronger. I am still using a sprinkling of black beans in eggs and salads. By a sprinkling I think it's about 20-30 beans. And I eat a prune or two every day. I have at least 1 bowel movement each day but not the 4-5 I used to have. I can accept that. I just can't take constipation.

(Edit: I am going to have to rethink the prunes. They are higher in carbs than I thought, and less fiber than I thought. 1/4 C is 24 gm of carb and only 3 gm fiber. I don't eat that much per day, but even at half that, the fiber is too low for the amount of carbs. )

I don't think I would even try the faux potato salad. I don't make potato salad except on holidays so it's not a big deal. DH would never eat it. I would probably like the mashed cauliflower but DH would not so I won't bother with that either. I liked the rice enough to make it just for myself. It was so good I actually felt like I was cheating. LOL

My scale is still at 194 but it's a balance beam scale and it seems to be leaning slightly lower so I think I can expect another pound loss in the next couple days. I am a usually a slow loser. I will go along with no loss and then get a whoosh. I can live with slow as long as it's going down and not up.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 04-13-2014 at 09:03 AM.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:12 AM   #125  

When I googled Vitamix I also found recipes. I looked at the first one and fell in love.

http://healthylivinghowto.com/1/post...fake-food.html

This looks so absolutely divine! I wonder if I could make it on a smaller scale. I have to have this. You don't really need to have a Vitamix to make it.

I think cauliflower is my new best friend. I am going to have lots of fun with it!

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 04-13-2014 at 09:13 AM.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:14 AM   #126  

S/C/G: 179/ticker/135

You all are a great group! I decided to get on here to see if there was any info about when to test in the morning and here's all this info!

Diagnosed 4 weeks ago, just started testing fbg about 2 weeks ago. Was getting great numbers with the strips I had received from the doctor. Then discovered strips had expired. Ordered more and my fbg really hasn't come down as much as I thought! That's not good. I have been eating low carb for about 4 weeks. But I was eating too much, too stuffed especially in the evening. I think that was my major mistake - need to lose the weight and need to eat amount I need, not amount I want.

My morning fbg is 121-128. Then I exercise and it goes down 10-15 points. I want to see if exercising in the evening helps my fbg! Anyone noticed if this helps them?

So for me, I plan to exercise twice a day, stick to low carb and portion controls at meals, and lose the weight. I'm so excited I am down in the 150's today! Haven't seen that in 20 years! ALL my extra weight is around my middle. So I have high hopes that getting rid of the fat around the middle will be great for my sugar levels.

Thanks for helping out a lurker!
Old 04-13-2014, 01:22 PM   #127  

Kris2008 WELCOME!!! Glad you are getting some info here. We all just share our experiences good and bad which helps me because it helps to know I'm not the only one who has some of these problems. Hopefully this helps all of us improve our journey. I'm sure the exercise helps my fbs readings, but can't say. The 1st time I had diabetic problems, I could lower my fbs with exercise. It may be because of my age, but now it seems to be diet as well as exercise. I also have learned that overloading my stomach (eating as much as I want instead of just as much as I need) plays a big role in my fbs reading.

Last night I said that my fbs yesterday was 135, but it was 130. Today it was 131. I cut back on the carbs to the point where I only ate about 12 net carbs, but I think the problem was that I had an Atkins bar. For one thing, my body cannot handle the sugar alcohols. So they will NOT be a part of my program even in an emergency.

I decided to keep tracking food on MFP because it does show the calorie, carb and fiber. At the end of the day I can subtract the fiber from the carb count and have my net carbs. I just decided that its been slow, but I have made some progress and I don't want to lose ground. Up almost 2 lbs from a week ago and I want to turn it around for it to continue going down. That won't be a disaster if I don't let it be. Comes down to choice.

Y'all have a super Sunday.
Old 04-13-2014, 03:16 PM   #128  
~Shannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris2008 View Post
You all are a great group! I decided to get on here to see if there was any info about when to test in the morning and here's all this info!

Diagnosed 4 weeks ago, just started testing fbg about 2 weeks ago. Was getting great numbers with the strips I had received from the doctor. Then discovered strips had expired. Ordered more and my fbg really hasn't come down as much as I thought! That's not good. I have been eating low carb for about 4 weeks. But I was eating too much, too stuffed especially in the evening. I think that was my major mistake - need to lose the weight and need to eat amount I need, not amount I want.

My morning fbg is 121-128. Then I exercise and it goes down 10-15 points. I want to see if exercising in the evening helps my fbg! Anyone noticed if this helps them?

So for me, I plan to exercise twice a day, stick to low carb and portion controls at meals, and lose the weight. I'm so excited I am down in the 150's today! Haven't seen that in 20 years! ALL my extra weight is around my middle. So I have high hopes that getting rid of the fat around the middle will be great for my sugar levels.

Thanks for helping out a lurker!
Welcome Kris! I am new as well and this is a great group, we are glad to have you join us! All of my weight is mostly around my middle (and chest, lol) and after only a couple weeks eating mostly low carb my middle is deflating. It is remarkably different. I am flabbergasted. I have read the Wheat Belly book and thought it was an interesting concept but now that I have seen it happen to me, I am a believer - of course I would add that it is not just wheat but sugar as well that is causative (though the author primarily blames wheat). Anyway, all that to say that I hope you also see deflation!!
Old 04-13-2014, 03:21 PM   #129  
~Shannon

Well, I was right about that off plan meal - my BS was 124 before bed and 126 fasting this morning - that is high for me. I did check my weight this morning - I just could not help myself - and it was only up by .6 so I don't think that off plan meal affected me too badly in the overall. Happily today I am back on program breakfast and lunch so far!

I broke in my new Vitamix today by making guacamole to go on my burger at lunch - we grilled for the first time of the season, yay! It's amazing to me how it's just automatic now to not have a bun with mine, I don't even really miss it. The hubby then took his turn with the Vitamix and made Pink Lemonade shaved ice for our daughter and later a milkshake for himself. I'm looking forward to using it to chop some veggies tomorrow.

We went to church this morning and now I am going to try to go get my hair cut before I need to take my daughter to something tonight. I never did get those meals planned. It was so late last night with being out so much longer than usual and my daughter going to bed later. I didn't get to sleep til almost 2 am I am tired today so will be going to bed earlier tonight for sure!

Everyone have a great day!

Last edited by Shannonsnail; 04-13-2014 at 03:22 PM.
Old 04-13-2014, 04:40 PM   #130  

Welcome Kris! We always love to see new members to our little group. I have been posting on this board for a couple years but just started taking thing seriously and making some headway in the past month or so. I think it's because of the other posters who are having success and I'm thinking if they can do it, I can do it. We like to share our idea, our successes and failures. What works for one doesn't work for all. You have to find your own nitch.

For me, exercise definately helps lower my glucose. I usually exercise while watching my soaps after lunch, and recently I started walking on the treadmill for 15 minutes in the evening, about an hour or so after dinner. That little bit of exercise in the evening packs a big punch for me.

My weight is definately around my middle. My waist is bigger than my hips! I think that goes with having diabetes. I always say I look like Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum, but if you're not old enough to remember Alice in Wonderland, you won't know who they were. LOL

This morning my fasting was 122, so I did not take the glimiperide. I had 2 eggs for breakfast and I tried it with one slice of my bread. My two hour post-prandial was 137 (under 140), so I think I'm ok with doing that. However, I am going to reserve that for a once in a while treat, not every day. I don't want 1 slice of toast to lead to 2 slices, and that to lead to french toast, etc. That's the way it usually goes with me. I am content to have my scrambled eggs with veggies most mornings, but it's good to know I can have that piece of toast once in a while without doing too much damage. I have cauliflower rice and veggies for lunch and my post-prandial was 119. So excited to see these numbers. I don't know what I'm going to have for dinner because I'm not hungry yet after lunch.

Trish - I tried to make a larger portion of cauliflower rice with the frozen cauliflower with the intention of making it and keeping it in the fridge for tomorrow. It turned out really wet, and I was afraid it would spoil if I tried to keep it. I put it on a baking sheet on parchment paper and put it in a 200 degree oven for 20 min to try to dry it out, but it didn't really help. So I think I am only going to make a single serving at a time when I want it. I don't usually buy fresh cauliflower because in the past I didn't eat enough of it and it would get black spots on it. If I am going to make a larger portion for a family meal I will probably buy the fresh cauliflower.

I don't track every day, but I think I will start because when I do I have noticed that I'm still eating too much, even though I'm keeping it low carb. My blood sugar and blood pressure are coming down but if I want to lose more weight, too, I will need to watch.

I had quit eating cheese because I eat mostly mozzarella and I was just getting tired of it. Yesterday I bought some provolone and now I like it, in fact, a little too much. I might be better off to just not buy it at all. Why add calories I don't need. Tracking really helps you see where you are going astray.

Shannon, good for you on not having a bun with your hamburger. I am getting used to that too. I just cut up some lettuce, tomato and onion and I'm set. I'm glad to see you are getting good use from your Vitamix and your husband is jumping on the bandwagon.

DH got out of bed for a little while today and sat out on the porch. I guess he will get better slowly. I'm sure he's totally bored. He is not one to sit around, let alone lie in bed.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:25 PM   #131  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

RE CAULIFLOWER RICE -
You can get a fresh cauliflower, grate the entire head and freeze the rice in zip locks in smaller portions. It thaws just fine for later use.

Also, if anyone likes curry... I make a low carb Curried Cauliflower Soup - -

Cook up cauliflower until it is super soft, put it in the blender with a little almond milk, some curry powder, coconut extract, salt, pepper and a touch of Splenda. Blend it up and adjust spices to taste as well as add more almond milk to thin to desired consistency. (I like it fairly thick so it is lush and filling.)

PURE HEAVEN!!!

Last edited by JLUS; 04-13-2014 at 08:26 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:02 AM   #132  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLUS View Post
RE CAULIFLOWER RICE -
You can get a fresh cauliflower, grate the entire head and freeze the rice in zip locks in smaller portions. It thaws just fine for later use.

Also, if anyone likes curry... I make a low carb Curried Cauliflower Soup - -

Cook up cauliflower until it is super soft, put it in the blender with a little almond milk, some curry powder, coconut extract, salt, pepper and a touch of Splenda. Blend it up and adjust spices to taste as well as add more almond milk to thin to desired consistency. (I like it fairly thick so it is lush and filling.)

PURE HEAVEN!!!

I like cauliflower soup but I never had curry so I don't know if I like it. Unfortunately, the only ingredients in your recipe that I keep in the house is the salt and pepper! LOL I will save your recipe to my recipe file and will try it some day when I feel adventurous.

Thanks!, And thanks for the tip about freezing the cauliflower rice.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:06 AM   #133  

No Glimiperide for 2 days now, and this morning my FBG was 113. I am wondering what's going to happen when DH starts eating again and I adjust my eating schedule to his. Don't even think about him adjusting to my schedule because that's not going to happen. LOL Yesterday he ate some pudding and some mashed potatoes without getting sick from it. Foods that just slide down easily. Hopefully he will get his appetite back in time for Easter dinner. He said he is really hungry and would love to have a hamburger and french fries but he's afraid to eat it.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:26 AM   #134  
~Shannon

Carol Sue hope the hubby is feeling much better soon!

It's official - I am in onederland! Yay!
Old 04-14-2014, 11:38 AM   #135  

Shannon So happy for you. You are doing great!!!

Carol Sue You are doing great. Hope DH is feeling much better especially by Easter.

Today was my official WI day and things aren't as bad as I thought. Not great, but only up 1.2 lbs which is much better than 2 lbs. Funny how those .8 makes a difference to me. Any way I'm back OP today. Not going to worry about the fiber too much. I think that has kind of side tracked me. I want to get the fiber in, but not going to obsess about it.

I'm not a shake person, but this morning I got up took one of Atkins shakes and added 1/2 c blueberries, approx 1/4 c kale and 1T chia seeds and put them in the MagicBullet and made a nice shake. It is a fast and easy and low carb breakfast. I don't know that I will always use the Atkins shakes but it is a start. I never was a breakfast person although I do love my eggs and bacon. I plan to move those to my evening mealtime. I will have to look around and see what I can find in low carb shakes besides Atkins. With spring fruits coming up, there will be all kinds of fresh fruit to put in the shakes especially low carb fruits like berries.

I've got a salad, broccoli and chicken wings planned for our main meal today. He will have bbq or hot and I like mine plain seasoned good. Then I will have an apple with cheese to hold me over till I'm ready to eat again around 6 or 7 tonight and I will make an egg omelet with veggies and bacon. Hopefully that will see through the evening and I won't need anything else. It like you said the other day Carol Sue, I've got to take this more seriously. I will ride my bike today. I plan to ride 4 days and then start doing Tia Chi 2 days. I notice my balance is a little off sometimes when I walk and DS tells me that it will help with my balance. He has been telling me that for months. It's time to do that too.

Ruthie, Rennie, Kris and JLUS and others

Have a nice day.
Closed Thread