Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 09:38 AM   #106  
~Shannon

S/C/G: 210.8/see ticker/140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in

113 this morning, that is better. Last night it occured to me that I might have a rise from items I hadn't thought about. I often need 2 tums before bed and every night I take two melatonin gummies to help me fall asleep. Both have carbs (and no fat/protein). I will switch to regular pills for melatonin after this bottle (I'm hoping my chronic sleep issue will resolve with lowering carbs, the only caffeine I drink is in the morning, about a half cup coffee) and maybe there is a sugar free variety of tums I can get...?
Old 04-10-2014, 04:02 PM   #107  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Another article I thought would be encouraging. Some of these don't apply to us, because we don't use a pump or take insulin; however, I thought all of them are encouraging. They are people sharing how their diet and exercise has helped them successful get bs reading down successfully. I think I realize that it really doesn't matter what diet you choose, but consistence with the diet you choose along with regular exercise will work.

17 Things People with A1Cs Under 7.0 Do

By Ginger Vieira from Diabetes Daily Newsletter

Whether you live with type 1 or type 2 diabetes, figuring out what changes we need to make in order to achieve our A1C goals can be overwhelming and confusing. To help inspire and educate, we asked our Facebook audience what they believe has helped them achieve A1Cs under 7.0 percent.

Read all of the replies in this Facebook Post by Diabetes Daily.
17 Things People with A1Cs Under 7.0 Do:

1. Melissa Baland Lee: I spent 18 years at or above 10%. The last 6 years, I’ve been below 7%. My tips are (1) learn how to time your meds/insulin to stop the one hour post prandial spike (it’s the highest number you hit in a day), (2) never treat without knowing an actual BG value, (3) leave meters out where you will see them and check often, (4) control your numbers overnight – if you’re flat while you sleep, that’s half your daily average.

2. Henry P. Botello: My A1C was near 11 three years ago. I was on two meds, total of 120 pills/mo. I began to workout and and eat healthy. Unltimately lost 50 lbs and totally off all meds. Last A1C was 5.3. I am now a Triathlete and I’m 52 years old. I was type II for nearly 20 years.

3. Alison E Peters: T1D 14 years, my A1C used to be abismal, now it’s usually between 5.5 and 6. I eat plant based, but still lower carb (it is possible). I exercise 4 days or more a week. I test 5-10 times a day.

4. Kelly Harp: My daughter’s a1c has been 5.1-6.1 for the last 2 years. I credit that to pumping and cgm.

5. Robbie Kizer: My son has had type 1 since 2010. He was 8 yrs old at the time and his a1c was 11.5 at dx. Since then, his a1c hasn’t been above the mid 6 range. It’s a lot of work but the long term benefits are worth it to our family.He wears the Omnipod pump (started pumping 7 months after dx) as well as the Dexcom CGM (started using dex a little over a year after dx). Consistent and accurate carb counting, consistent prebolusing before meals, taking action when dex or meter reading shows him going up or down, along with an extremely positive attitude all play a huge role in his management success up to this point. He is in puberty and we have still maintained low a1cs. It can be done.

6. Shanna Wolf Heart Powell: Drum roll, please! Like I said before if you believe it you can achieve it!

7. I just got back from the doctor and…My name is Shanna Wolf Heart Powell, and I am a Recovering Diabetic! Yes! No more meds! Diet and exercise only! Take that diabetes! A1C now 5.4!

8. Sharone Herring: I was diagnose with type 2 in Oct 2013 and my A1C was 11% at the time. I changed my eating habits and add exercise about 3 times a week. When I went back to my appointment in Jan 2014 my A1C was down to 6.5%. Today, I no longer take insulin. I still take pills but, I would like to stop taking the pills!

9. Linda Michelle Mincey: Mine was 11.6 at diagnosis and I started following the diabetic diet with portions and eating less fried foods and more veggies and fruits and started walking 30 minutes a day at least 5 times a week. In 3 months I brought A1C down to 5.3. The dr was pleased and took me off morning med and said he thinks if next A1C is as low that I can come off night medicine too! My goal is to be healthy and medicine free. I truly feel that it is about being aware of food intake and exercise to control your own health.

10. Rick Wigington: I went from 6.9 to 5.1 in three months and stayed at 5.1 the next three months. Lost 20 pounds, cut out sweets and cut down on portions. Cinnamon, turmeric, magnesium, chromium picolinate, apple cider vinegar and lots of exercise.

11. Jolesa Ferrand: My highest a1c was 14 & that was just a few years ago when I was put on insulin. I use to weigh almost 600 pounds. I had lost 200 pounds on my own with diet & exercise. My a1c was still high 9 -8. Thats when the doctor started having me carb count. Also had to increase my insulin to two types, Levemir & Novolog. After a lot of hard work I am at a a1c of 6. I have also lost 70 more pounds. With the right diet & exercise plan for you it can be possible to lower your a1c & lose weight. I thought I would never see my weight where it is now nor my a1c. I am so proud of myself!

12. Sudhir Gupta: My A1C was 5.8 and am diabetic since 1987. I am thrilled. I take good care of myself, enjoy life, love chocolates but never exceed my calories. Being happy is most important. The saying fits perfectly, you smile everyone smiles with you , you cry you cry alone. Que sera sera, whatever will be will be so why worry about it now. When eulogies are being read, the priest never fails to mention that whoever comes to the world goes to the good Lord one day. So enjoy the life as long as you live. Take your medicines, eat small meals every two hours, exercise and drink lot of water.

13. John E Wallace: Type 2. Went low carb, no grains, processed foods or diet drinks 2 years ago. A1C dropped from 11.5 to below 7 for last year. Exercise helps. Not bad for 20 years with diabetes.

14. Dwayne Robinson: 5.9 percent, type 2, 5th year past diagnosis. (My diagnosis level was 566 or a 14.8 a1c.) Diet and exercise. Check your glucose before you eat and adjust what and how much you eat accordingly. My self-imposed guideline is if my BG is 80-110, I eat a full meal. 110-120, I eat a half meal. Above 120, I eat a quarter meal. Physical activity BEYOND your occupation. Your body is used to the labor of doing your job, so go a step beyond. Walking jogging gym work. If you can’t do these, grab some canned food, throw them in a Wal-Mart bag and use them as weights. I find a 30 min workout with resistance bands to be quite a challenge and often my glucose drops 10-30 points afterwards. I wish ALL of you the great results I’ve seen.

15. Jolinda Dirks: For the last year my A1C has been between 6.7-6.9! I couldn’t believe how easy it was and how fast my number dropped and has stayed under. In 2011 I got married and my husband and I decided to do a major health change. We both started TapouT XT. We were hoping that the weight loss would help us look and feel better. And although I only lost 10 pounds I started noticing my activity has increased and my sugars were so much better. I have been able to keep the weight off and the counts normal. I have enough stress in my life, it’s nice that diabetes isn’t part of that stress any more!

16. Chantal Dyment: Fruit & veggie with every meal. No white breads. Whole grains, measure measure measure! Exercise!

17. Lynn Spaulding Bradley: In January 2013 my A1C was 9.4. I was put on 10 units of Levemir once a day. In January 2014 I had my A1C down to 6.1 getting my Levemir reduced to 5 units. With all my eating habits being changed and walking 4 to 5 times a week I have also lost 52 lbs.
Old 04-10-2014, 04:12 PM   #108  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannonsnail View Post
Question? - how long after waking should I be checking my FBS? I am usually up a while before checking because of attending to my daughter. I am wondering if it is rising alot in that period of time.
I asked my doctor that question at one of my recent visits because I've heard people say you needed to check as soon as you get up. He said it didn't have to be as soon as you get up. The main thing is to do it before you eat or drink food breaking your fast. I usually get up, dress and put coffee on and a few other kitchen chores before I check mine. It has never made that big a difference in my reading.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:10 PM   #109  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

We were just getting ready for bed and my husband noticed a rash on his side where his pain is. He has shingles. I had them and they are extremely painful. Probably the worst pain I've ever had and it takes a while to get rid of them. I am relieved. He's still upset because of the pain. I feel bad for him, but am so relieved it's not something more serious. I will be calling the doctor in the morning for meds.

When I was at the doctor a little over a week ago, he was talking to a woman in the waiting room that said she had such terrible pain and didn't know what it was. Now, I think she was starting to get shingles. They say you can't get them unless you are exposed to the active blisters, but he was not exposed to hers. She might not even have had the blisters yet. But I think that's how he got them.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:26 PM   #110  

Here's an interesting recipe I found online. Not sure I would want all that stuff on top....but it's low carb and gluten free.

http://peaceloveandlowcarb.com/2013/...uten-free.html
Old 04-11-2014, 09:47 AM   #111  
~Shannon

Carol Sue ugh! That must be painful! So glad it isn't worse!

Rennie are you out there?! LOL!

My scale says 198.8 this morning!! I have to wait til Monday though to see if it's "real", lol (yes, I know how ludicrous that sounds!). But, I'm excited on the inside! My FBG was 119. Before bed it was 113. It's the weekend which is usually more off plan. Tonight DH is going to an event at church. I was thinking of taking the munchkin out but I might attempt wheat free pizza at home instead since I have plenty of toppings on hand. Oh!! Forgot to tell ya'll, I made cauliflower mash last night (that was on my low carb cooking bucket list) and it was edible! The entire bowl was eaten, mostly by my super skeptical husband. "Rice" is up next! Speaking of the DH, he weighed this morning when I did -419. I hope he joins me soon. I'm still buying junk for him (if I don't he just goes out himself and buys even more than I do....ice cream is on sale, let's get 5 cartons!). I used to eat all that mess, can't believe what a change I'm experiencing. I keep hoping he will see how well I am doing and join me. I was overweight when I met him but only by like 20 lbs. i've gained 60 lbs on top of that since we married almost 7 yrs ago. I'm so ready to get rid of this weight that has made me so physically uncomfortable, unable to find clothes I like in my size, wearing the same ugly bathing suit at the pool/beach with my daughter for 4 years! LOL! Even with just this first 10 lbs, my body is changing. My belly is not nearly as puffy. I may end up with alot of loose skin in the belly, it is totally deflating. But, if it keeps me from losing a leg later then AMEN to loose skin!

Last edited by Shannonsnail; 04-11-2014 at 09:57 AM.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:41 AM   #112  

DH got an anti-viral and pain meds filled, so hopefully he will start to feel better. I wonder if his is really that much worse than mine was or if he's just a bigger baby about it? LOL

You are doing great, Shannon! I hope when your husband sees your improvements he will join you. Men aren't as vein about weight as we are, even though it's just as unhealthy for them. But once they make up their mind to lose, the lose much faster than we do. It's good that he liked the mashed cauliflower. Because you are young you might not get much loose skin. Your skin still has it's elasticity.

I want to try the cauliflower rice. I wonder if I can make it with frozen cauliflower. I will only make a small portion to see if I like it. DH won't eat it. I'm lucky he eats any veggies at all.

Yesterday, I had carbs. I couldn't think of what to make for dinner and DH didn't feel good. I had a box of Tuna Helper so I made that and added a lot of vegetables with it. I ate a normal portion....didn't go back and finish all the leftovers the way I would have in the past. Actually, even with all the veggies, it made me feel a little sick...bloated and uncomfortable. By bedtime my rings were tight. I don't see myself doing that again any time soon. Yukky feeling. This morning my FBG was 142. I didn't get to eat breakfast because we were leaving for the doctors. When we got home around 10:30 my glucose had gone up into the 160's. That's without eating anything, just some black coffee. I heard somewhere that if you go too long without eating and you get too hungry, your body thinks your starving and dumps glucose. So now I'm taking my glimiperide twice a day again, the way the doctor told me to.

Trish - Item number 2 spoke to me loud and clear. We CAN lose weight and lower our blood sugar and get off the meds.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:52 AM   #113  
~Rennie

S/C/G: HW/220~SW/191.2~GW 141

Height: 5'3

Shannon I'm here. I've just been reading doing good new low today 161.8 down .4. FBS was at 121 so up from yesterday. Checked my husband's and told him he should see a doctor because he is pre diabetic but he says he's fine (of course). I hope your husband will see your accomplishments and follow suit I'm sure trying to get my family on point. I will start my beans shortly thanks again for the recipe
Old 04-11-2014, 12:57 PM   #114  
~Shannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2b150 View Post
Shannon I'm here. I've just been reading doing good new low today 161.8 down .4. FBS was at 121 so up from yesterday. Checked my husband's and told him he should see a doctor because he is pre diabetic but he says he's fine (of course). I hope your husband will see your accomplishments and follow suit I'm sure trying to get my family on point. I will start my beans shortly thanks again for the recipe
Here is a sauce you might like with your mexican dishes, I have been eating it on my taco salads and as a dip for raw veggies. I got it from The Pioneer Woman.
1/4 cup each mayo, sour cream and salsa mixed together
Old 04-11-2014, 03:32 PM   #115  

S/C/G: 272/See Ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Wannabehealthy! That recipe looks so yummy!! We have an Easter breakfast at church and I think this is what I'm going to make. Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:03 PM   #116  
~Rennie

S/C/G: HW/220~SW/191.2~GW 141

Height: 5'3

Trish I check as soon as I use the bathroom, wash my hands and before I brush my teeth. It I don't I'll forget.

Carol Sue hope your husband is better soon

Donna

Last edited by love2b150; 04-11-2014 at 10:03 PM.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:02 PM   #117  

Carol Sue Shingles are very painful, but so glad it wasn't something worse. I had them a few yrs back up and down my right arm. I thought I would never get over it, but compared to how long it lasts for some, it really wasn't all that long. Hope I never have them again. Hope he recovers soon.

Shannon YAY for reaching the goal of getting to 200 and sliding past it to 198.8. I knew you were young enough to make it happen. I'm proud of you.

Rennie I usually check mine within about an hour after getting up most days.

I've had a fairly carby day but got my fiber in. So I think I'm good.

Y'all have a great weekend.
Old 04-12-2014, 12:41 AM   #118  
~Shannon

Carol Sue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabehealthy View Post
DH got an anti-viral and pain meds filled, so hopefully he will start to feel better. I wonder if his is really that much worse than mine was or if he's just a bigger baby about it? LOL
My husband is way worse with everything than I am!

Quote:
You are doing great, Shannon! I hope when your husband sees your improvements he will join you. Men aren't as vein about weight as we are, even though it's just as unhealthy for them. But once they make up their mind to lose, the lose much faster than we do. It's good that he liked the mashed cauliflower. Because you are young you might not get much loose skin. Your skin still has it's elasticity.

I want to try the cauliflower rice. I wonder if I can make it with frozen cauliflower. I will only make a small portion to see if I like it. DH won't eat it. I'm lucky he eats any veggies at all.
Thank you! He commented tonight that I inspired him. Maybe he will come around at some point. When we married he had lost ~75 lbs on a low carb diet while we were friends/dating. He was about 300 lbs then. He needed to lose more but instead he stopped eating low carb and has gained 119 lbs in the past 7 yrs. i am not sure I would call 40 "young" but maybe you are right and there is some remnant of elasticity left in me, lol! I am not sure the rice can be done from frozen since you have to grate it like cheese, but maybe?

Last edited by Shannonsnail; 04-12-2014 at 12:42 AM.
Old 04-12-2014, 12:44 AM   #119  
~Shannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattygirl63 View Post

Shannon YAY for reaching the goal of getting to 200 and sliding past it to 198.8. I knew you were young enough to make it happen. I'm proud of you.
Thank you! I'm really shocked it is going so well....keep wondering when it will all fall apart but until then, I'll keep on keepin' on
Old 04-12-2014, 10:21 AM   #120  

Shannon, when you're 68, 40 looks really, really young! LOL YOU are not going to let it fall apart, and we are not going to let you. We are your cheering section.

I made cauliflower rice yesterday with frozen cauliflower. It was wonderful, and I can't wait to try it again. I put the frozen flowerettes into a strainer and ran some water over them to defrost. They were defrosted somewhat, but not soft like they are after you cook them. I pulsed them in a small food processor. Then I did the same thing with some frozen mixed vegetables, the ones with corn, peas, carrots, green beans etc, ran the water over them to defrost, but didn't pulse them. left them whole. In a small frying pan I melted some butter over low heat. I put the cauliflower rice and mixed vegetables in there and cooked them a little over a low heat until they were heated up. I added salt and pepper and ate it. I just made 1 serving. It looked like vegetables and rice, which I sometimes make for a quick side dish. I loved it. The texture of the cauliflower was the same as rice and since rice doesn't have a real strong flavor by itself and the "rice" and veggies were still a little crunchy I felt as if I was eating rice and veggies. I was thinking that you could do this using a small amount of chicken broth instead of the melted butter if you wanted to keep the fat content down. You could add different veggies according to your taste, like kale or spinach. You could use different seasonings, You could add some stir fried chicken breast to make it more of a main dish. Or you could just add some salt and pepper and use it like rice with a chinese dish like Sweet and Sour Pork or Chicken. I actually think I could fool even my husband with this, if only he didn't like to hang out in the kitchen and watch me cook. If one unusual ingredient goes into my cooking, he's finished. LOL

It's more costly than rice, a box of rice makes a lot of servings because it swells up, the cauliflower does not. But to me it's worth it to be able to eat something I really like.

As far as pulsing the vegetables, I think that would be a good way to get young kids to eat vegetables they wouldn't otherwise try. Put them in a food processor and then you can add them to other dishes to disguise them.

My bs was 123 this morning. Very good, for me. But I slept in until 9 AM, so I checked it much later than usual. I slept very soundly and longer than usual, so that might have had something to do with the lower FBG. I am normally not a good sleeper unless I take something. I did it last night without meds. I am not hungry yet, so I probably won't eat until lunch time.

Weight has stayed at 194. No ups or downs. Blood pressure is improving, so all in all I'm doing what I set out to do, slowly.

Trish, Good for getting that fiber in! It makes a difference.

Donna - If you make the muffins, let me know how they turned out.

Rennie - Good for you on the weight loss! I am amazed at how your blood sugar goes up when your weight comes down. It will even out in the end.

Hi Ruthie. Mad we miss you! Guess you must be busy.
Closed Thread