Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 06:26 AM   #31  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Good morning. Weight up a tiny bit today, probably water retention so I'm not obsessing about it. I have a 1:30 meeting in Ottawa today and will pack a lunch to have during the 1½ hour drive. It sure will be great to get home late this afternoon and just relax. It's been a stressful week!

Patty, I have noticed you have tried several different plans and am glad you have finally settled on one. I think we need consistency before evaluating a plan's effect on our BGL. I am on South Beach (never did Phase I) and trying to be careful of carbs. Occasionally I run my food through Fitday and take a good look at the number of carbs and their source. It seems to work for me most of the time.

Mad, I'd forgotten that about exercise. Thanks.

Have a good weekend.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:29 AM   #32  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Default quiet weekend

well the chat lines are quiet, which must mean that everyone is busy this weekend. I had a allnighter on friday night/saturday am, and was catching up on sleep, although I did read through a bit.
planning a trail walk today if it doesn't rain, in which case I will go to yoga.
My dear friend, who is a beautiful but very overweight lady, is going to start a diet and fitness regimen. She did very well previously on a program, until a family tragedy threw her off and she has not been able to get back on track since. At the time, she was my inspiration, she says now that I am hers!
I have been reading a lot about how difficult it can be when friends don't stay on plan, people seem to feel like they themselves have failed or that its a slap in the face if our friends don't take our advice. Imagine a dietitian getting upset because not all her clients follow her advice or lose weight!
So I must be careful to just offer, talk about it if she chooses, and leave her be if she chooses not to do things I suggest.
off for a half day of work before I get to have fun!
happy Sunday everyone, and have a lovely weekend.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:29 AM   #33  
Come on Spring!

Yes, it's not very chatty in here.

I survived the goodies at the Victoria's Quilts AGM yesterday. I did notice that there was more emphasis on fruits and less on sweets. The big bowl of tangerines was a hit and just right for a mid-afternoon snack.

Weight is still steady and BGL was a decent 4.2 this morning. I start back to the gym tomorrow morning which may help things move along. It's also the start of gardening around here so I'll be pretty busy. I didn't get much done last year in my veggie garden but hope to be "living off the land" this summer and fall. Nothing like fresh veggies that are 20 minutes or less from earth to my plate. Today I plan to plan peas which usually never make it inside as I snack on them when out there!
Old 04-10-2011, 10:06 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

I've been lurking more than writing. Reading a lot. Not a whole lot to say. My new plan is working great and my weight finally matches my ticker again. My church small group was excited that changes I had made had helped me to lose 5 lbs this week. They didn't know it was recycled lbs not new lbs lost. I'm just thankful that I lost them. Now just need to keep going down which should be no problem since I'm just not hungry.

Nothing going on here tomorrow except to get back to exercise. According to what I've read in Dr. Amen's book, I need to do at least 30 minutes of aerobic 4 days a week. So I plan to do Mon, Tues, Thurs and Fri. Since I would love to keep a support group going at church after our 6 weeks lessons for those of us who want to continue to lose weight, I need to be successful at this... therefore I have my motivation. I started a support group in my home many years ago in the Houston area and it really helped me to stay motivated to keep going.

This will be a busy week for us as I have a dotor's appt Tuesday morning, DH has an appt Wednesday and Friday and I get a perm Thursday. I'll try to check in as often as possible.

Y'all have a great week.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:09 AM   #35  
MONI

S/C/G: 257/257/160

Height: 5'4''

Hey Everyone!
Just did a read through. Glad you all are doing well for the most part! Trying new things and keeping your BS steady! Hope everyone's weekend went well....and your all ready for another week!

@ Casandra, i'm sorry to hear about the RA.
@Ruthxxx-so glad to hear things are going well and your back to the gym, its tough to get there sometimes! Good job!
good job to everyone, keep it up!

As for me, i'm having a really tough time keeping my sugars under control, they are everywhere. Some of my AM have been anywhere from 160-180 and after meals are not pretty at all! I think a large part of it is the lack of exercise. It's tough getting to my gym (school gym) because its far from home and my motivation is low. I can't wait for the weather to get better so i can go out and play!
Another thing i'm struggling with is what to eat for breakfast! I am not a huge breakfast person, but I want something tasty that will last me the morning and quick! Can you ladies recommend some of your favorite breakfast meals?
Thanks ladies! I'll try to pop in more and comment more!
Old 04-11-2011, 06:26 AM   #36  
Come on Spring!

Moni, check out the South Beach Forum on breakfasts. Lots of us have things like beans, soup and leftovers from supper. Breakfast does not have to be traditional. There's a recipe for quiche cups that freezes and reheats well.

Yes, today is the day I head back to the gym. My back is sore and we are in the middle of a t-storm but I am doing it! BGL is 4.2 and weight is up a smidgen from some bacon yesterday but it's not enough to affect the ticker.

On we go!

Wow! It's really pouring out there. It's like living under Niagara Falls! Of course my umbrella is out in the car. Luckily I have my ugly yellow raincoat.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:05 PM   #37  

I'm into the diet chapter of the book and it is much like South Beach and some other low carb diets, but not as low as Atkins. The usual... recommendations of eating whole grains & complex carbs rather than simple. In fact, he mentions in some of the material that I read where he says that SB is a really good diet to follow. He does recommend protein, veggies, fruits and nuts for breakfast and throughout the day. He also says that if he has had a really stressed day that he will eat a complex carb in the evening to relax so he can relax at night. So I am counting calories & measuring foods to get used to portions. Tomorrow I will turn my eating around and start eating SB breakfast. It is really interesting that no matter what really good woe seems to lead back to low carbing & whole foods. Only difference I can see in this woe and SB is that he recommends eating absolutely no processed foods. I'm not sure I can go that strict. But I can do more of SB way of doing it.

Ruthie Thank you for sharing with me about how you did SB. I never make the 2 weeks of Phase 1, because I really enjoy being able to eat fruit and of course there are great fruits out there this time of the year.

Thanks for being patient with me you guys.

Mad I had thought about talking to my doc about getting off the Metformin because I think it makes it difficult for me to exercise. I've never had problems with aching legs, but I have to really push myself to complete exercising. I did make it through my 30 minute Sweatin' to the Oldies, but my legs were really aching about 3/4 way through. I read that this is a side effect of Metformin. Then I read what you wrote someone else about how Metformin is supposed to keep diabetes from getting worse. Now I've also thought of raising it from 1000 mg to 1500, but I was leary thinking this might make my legs ache more. Do you think that as I exercise that the aching will go away. I need to do this exercise a minimum of 3 or 4 days a week. Just wonder what your opinion is. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:13 AM   #38  

Just got back from doctor's appt. Doctor was very pleased with my numbers. A1c 5.9 My overal cholesterol was good and the good cholesterol has come up and bad has gone down. We discussed Metformin and he said according to the tests that it was not affecting my legs or kidneys etc. We decided for me to stay on it and stay at 1000 mg. I told him about the new plan I'm on and he wanted to look at the book. He said he was pleased with how I'm doing so we didn't change anything. I also asked him what my goal weight should be. He said that realistically that we can only expect to lose about 15% of our weight or about 35 lbs a year. So he said that I could set a goal of hoping to weigh maybe in the 180s by this time next year.

I go back in 3 mos for blood work and appt. I'm headed in the right direction so now I'll just keep on keeping on and hope that when I go back in 3 mos. that I will be rewarded with more improvements.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:35 PM   #39  
Come on Spring!

Great news on the HA1C, Patty and the cholesterol. Progress is slow for us all but ti's great to see progress.

I was in Ottawa last night and this morning for a sleepover for my friend's birthday. Such fun! No birthday cake but I did indulge in some cherry torte sugarless) and a couple of glasses of wine. Unfortunately we did have Chinese for lunch today so I will probably avoid the scale tomorrow morning. BGL was just fine today though.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:37 PM   #40  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Glad to see the chats are picking up again!
I was out very early the last couple of mornings, so haven't checked sugars much.
Trish, try taking a B vitamin supplement and see if that helps the sluggishness in your legs. I use jamieson's B100 and don't have leg pain unless I forget it a couple of days in a row.
Moni: what food plan are you following. I find exercise helps, but diet is the big controller for me. I am really enjoying the better weather too.
Ruth, I love the heirloom veggies a lot, we will be starting to prepare our garden soon too.
Have a good day everyone
Old 04-12-2011, 05:28 PM   #41  

Mad Thanks for reminding about the B100. I remember you saying something about that before. I took it in pill for and then switched to a liquid sublingual, but it only helps if I remember to use and it may not have as much be as the 100 pills. I'm going to Walmart tomorrow and will got the B100 pills. I did manage to exercise 30 minutes yesterday and with trying to keep up with DH at Home Depot today and then my 1 mile Walk Away the Pounds, I managed to get a good 30 minutes or more exercise today. I am determined to do at least 3 days a week of real exercise. I think I'm at the point that I'm convinced that is the next step.

Ruthie Thanks. It is good to see progress and I get so nervous before I go to doc. He is good and never fusses at me, but I don't ever want him to think I'm not trying and working at this. Sounds like you did a good job with eating at your friends birthday celebration. When I told the doc about the book I was using, I told him that I can't afford organic foods and that I follow the plan, but there are a few things I enjoy that I don't want to give up totally. I told him that I felt if I could follow it 95 to 98 percent of the time that I felt that should be good and he agreed.

The doc had the cutest plate hanging on the wall with the Diabetic Plate Method painted on it. I told him I needed something like that. I went online and found some pics of different ones and printed them out. I'm going to make me little cardboard display of the breakfast and the lunch/dinner and put it in my kitchen. Just as a reminder for me to stay on track.

Moni I want to be sure and you to the thread as I can't remember if I welcomed you or not. We're glad to have you here.

I didn't want to eat before I went to the dr so I did have a cup of green tea. Had a headache most of the day because I accidently fixed the decaf instead of my caffiene. I've stopped drinking coffee because I like it with cream so switched to the green tea. Since the way of eating is so much like low carb, I cooked a couple of boiled eggs, added celery and radishes to it and took it with me to eat when I left dr. office since I knew we weren't coming straight home.

Y'all have a great evening.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:44 AM   #42  
Come on Spring!

Well, the Chinese food did not damage me - I think. I weighed 186 again this morning. of course, I am never satisfied and said to myself that I'd be 185 if not for the water weight from the Chinese! You'd think I'd be more mature at 72 but I've been playing this scale watching game too long! BGL was 4.2 and I'm set for a day of healthy eating and another session a the gym.

I think my back is getting better. I've discovered that leaning over the cutting table does me in and will switch to using the kitchen counter for a while. I have just a bit more of cutting for the current quilt project. I need my back for gardening - if it ever stops raining!
Old 04-13-2011, 11:01 AM   #43  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Thanks Mad! I appreciate the information. As always, the beauty of this site is that we are never alone!
Old 04-13-2011, 06:15 PM   #44  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Hello All! I am so excited. I just returned from my 3 month checkup. My A1C was 5.2 (down even from the 5.9 in January) I am also down 54 pounds. I haven't weighed myself since February but I have lost more than I dared to hope for. I think this is the first time I have been under 200 pounds for about 18 years. I feel so good. I hope that everyone has a really good day!
Old 04-14-2011, 06:06 AM   #45  
Come on Spring!

Riemontana. That's such great news and welcome to Onederland!

Yesterday was just OK foodwise. Too many carbs and an encounter with some candied ginger did me in. Luckily today is a brand new day! (Candied ginger has now joined the Foods in Exile group along with Melba toast and popcorn!)
Closed Thread