Old 08-13-2007, 10:19 AM   #16  
Rose

S/C/G: 368/254/220

Height: 6'

Wow...amazing results. I am hoping for the same for my husband. He had a toe amputated in May because an infection would not heal. He has since really dedicated himself to diet and exercise. I told him it can be done,you just have to stick with it and be patient. In just 2 months he has completely come off of blood pressure meds and has cut in half the amount of metformin he takes and dropped the glipizide altogether.

I on the other hand following the same program am still having higher readings and my dr said I may have to eventually add lantis injections and I dont look forward to that. I'm trying to stay positive.

Rosemary
SARose1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 12:04 PM   #17  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Wow Rosemary . . . I'm really pleased for your hubby . . . but a little suprised to hear that things are not working as well for you, especially with the amount of weight you've lost. I know I was able to cut my diabetes meds by 1/3 to 1/2 with only a 50 pound weight loss. Hang in there, Chickie, maybe your turning point is just hiding around the next corner.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 09:45 AM   #18  
Rose

S/C/G: 368/254/220

Height: 6'

Meowee...I am my own worst enemy. I actually had a gastric bypass in 2002 it turned my diabetes around. I was on insulin 4 times a day before the bypass and I had gained over 75 lbs on it. At 8 months post surgery I had lost 120 lbs and I was off all diabetes meds. However I didn't exercise and I slowly started testing my limits eating carbs. I am hopelessly addicted to carbs if they are near me I cant resist them. My husband was in denial of his own diabetes and he did most of the cooking and bought all the wrong snacks. By 2 years post op I was back on oral meds for diabetes and I eventually gained back 30 lbs of what I originally lost. Fast forward to now, and in 2 months of eating right and exercising, I have lost about 15 lbs, my glucose levels are coming down slowly, changed meds for the better, just have to give it some time. It is frustrating but I am hanging in there. It's nice to have my husband on board with me for the 1st time.

So my story is a good example of how you can never lose sight of diabetes, even if you come off of all meds. You have to stay vigilant, you have to understand that your commitment to proper eating and exercise is critical and it must be maintained for life.

Rosemary
SARose1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 11:01 AM   #19  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

"So my story is a good example of how you can never lose sight of diabetes, even if you come off of all meds. You have to stay vigilant, you have to understand that your commitment to proper eating and exercise is critical and it must be maintained for life."

That is so well said, Rosemary . . . you can just never let your guard down with this silly disease.

Hope you will be joinig us on our regular monthly chat thread "Dieting with Diabetes" -- hope to see you over there, soon. In the meantime, Chickie, you are back heading in the right direction so just keep doing the best you can as much as you can and those elusive rewards will follow.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote