Old 08-01-2007, 09:05 AM   #1  
Have you had The Surgery?

S/C/G: 510/225.4/199

Height: 69.09"

Default I am no longer diabetic WooHoo!

When I was diagnosed on 6/1/06, my BG was at 562. I was on Glyburide, Actos, Lantus, Metformin, Byetta. Because I was committed to be "normal", I kept my BG in a respectable range (between 70-95), and my Dr slowly reduced the dosages of my meds, to the point of taking me off of them.

I always felt that my body wasn't needing the Lantus, I was on such a low dosage, down to 2U a day, that I would make a vial last for 2 months. I know after 1 month, it is supposed to be ineffective.

Byetta was wonderful in the beginning, but as I taught myself to eat (getting in more fiber, drinking more water to compensate the fiber, eating the fruits and veggies, etc) I learned that Byetta was no longer working for me. A few months ago I started a thread here looking for advice on what to eat prior to a walk (protein), as after the walk, even after a Byetta injection, I could easily wolf down 1,000 calories!

Right around that time, my Dr commented that I had "non-diabetic" numbers, something a dietitian had mentioned a year ago. I contacted the dietitian to ask her advice on how I could ask my Dr to take me off of Metformin, Byetta (last 2 meds). My Dr agreed to slowly reduced the dosage (from 1000mg 2X a day). When he weaned me off of this entirely last month, he said that if my BG remained constant (running nowadays 85-115) he would allow me to get off of the Byetta (5mcg 2X a day) in one months time. Three weeks later I injected myself for the last time. I did not want to open a new pen, only to be told 1 week later I could stop (I have 2 pens left, as I get my meds in the mail).

I had my Dr's appt this past Monday. He was pleased that my BG remained constant, and he seemed pleased that I stopped the Byetta (giving me permission to use it in the future, if need be). I also stopped taking 2 other meds a couple weeks ago, one was for knee pain (which I determined was a 1 time injury), and something for constipation (which I learned water bulks up the fiber). So, now I am on ZERO meds. I take a 1 a day multivitamin, and a Omega-3 pill

Since I was DX'd on 6/1/06, I lost 197lbs. I have lost 242lbs total since Jan 1, 2006.

And lastly, as I have said in the past, I realize I will always be a diabetic, but its just a good feeling to know that I am controlling this by diet/exercise (which the Dr proudly wrote on my chart. I will continue testing myself 4x a day, s this serves as a constant reminder on my dieting choices. I know if I reach too high (120 is my personal high), then I know I screwed up, and will vow to change my eating habits.

I have another 66lbs to lose then I am no longer obese, but other then that I am "normal"

Steven
FresnoBeeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 09:39 AM   #2  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Yippee STEVEN . . . I am so happy for you . . . . . . Absolutely fantastic job, there, boyyo.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 09:45 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

Rock on, that's awesome!! You have done so well at losing weight and controlling your health - I think you are very inspirational in the fact that you have lost so much weight, still have plenty to go, but have never given up... you know? I feel overwhelmed and I only have 24 pounds to lose, but here you lost over ten times that. Congrats.

Last edited by NightengaleShane; 08-01-2007 at 09:51 AM.
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 08:18 AM   #4  
Raised By Wolves

S/C/G: 335/270/170

Height: 5'8"

Steven, that is wonderful! My goal is to get off my meds as well. I'm losing weight so hopefully it will be soon.
RaffaellaBella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 08:40 AM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I showed your thread to my husband. His numbers have been pretty good, but they're up a bit from last quarter because they had to take him off Avandia (his legs were swelling like mad, and now I see it's associated with cardiac risks). His doctors added Lantus (10 units) and my husband is freaking out a bit about going to injections.

He's not ready to hear that his diabetes is reversible. He's misinterpreted everything the diabetic counselor (I was there with him) and his doctor (I assume, since I wasn't there) have told him, and now is feeling helpless and hopeless.

He did ask me to help him with his food intake though, so he's at least reaching out. A friend brought us pizza for dinner last night. It was Walmart's take-and-bake, so I read the nutrition label, figured out what I could eat and put it on my plate. Halfway through his 4 slices (which he thought was going to be just his first helping) he asked me what the calorie/carb count was in the pizza. When I told him, he was devastated, and said "so I can't eat this, can I?" I helped him figure his calories/carbs he'd already eaten, and figured he could eat one more piece, but needed to put the fourth piece back so he could take his late night pills with a snack.

If he can believe that his actions really do make a difference, I think he'll be fine. He's just so on the edge right now of feeling that he can't change his behavior and that it won't matter anyhow.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 09:12 AM   #6  
Onward and Downward

Just want to clear up one little thing. As Steven did mention at the end of his post . . .

Diabetes is NOT reversible and it is NOT curable. It is controllable, however; and with weight loss, exercise and proper diet it can often be controlled without additional medications.

Part of the misunderstanding comes from the fact that Pre-Diabetes (insulin resistance) and Gestational Diabetes can be reversed by those same methods. However, once having been diagnosed with either of those two conditions, you are more prone to developing actual, full-fledged, Diabetes at a future date unless you continue the aforementioned control efforts (maintaining sensible diet, exercise, and weight).

Last edited by meowee; 08-02-2007 at 09:21 AM.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:33 AM   #7  

I did not mean diabetes is curable, just that it is possible to "reverse" the course of the disease, to a large degree. My husband currently is under the assumption that the damage has been done, and that once on insulin, there is no going back. The diabetic educator showed him a chart outlining the physical decline associated with the course of the disease, and he thinks it is now inevitable.

When my mother lost 60 lbs, her diabetic symptoms disappeared. When she asked her doctor whether she was still diabetic, he didn't answer her directly with a yes or a no, he said that she could consider herself "in remission."

My husband doesn't see that this is possible for him as well. At least not yet.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:44 AM   #8  
Onward and Downward

Yes Colleen . . . I think "in remission" is a good term.

I sincerely hope it happens for your husband, too. Assure him, it definitely does make a difference. I know the loss of almost 60 pounds (together with better diet and exercise) has allowed me to cut all my meds and my insulin by about 30% to 50%. No place to go but down. It can be a juggling match however, because it seems that hardly a month goes by that I don't have to make some kind of adjustment, especially to the amount of insulin I use.

Good Luck to you both. . .
Old 08-02-2007, 12:37 PM   #9  

I think this is his problem, the constantly having to make one life adjustment after another. He's not someone who adjusts to change easily, and just about the time he's a tiny bit more comfortable with a necessary change, he's asked to make another. He's been so grumpy, I want to kick him in the butt! LOL!
Old 08-02-2007, 01:32 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

CONGRATS, Steven!!!!!!!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 01:42 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 251/190/175

Height: 5'10

Congrats Steven! Isn't it amazing the way our bodies respond to proper diet and exercise? I'm hypoglycemic which as many know is one step away from diabetes and I finally realized that if I didn't do something about it now that I would be a full blown diabetic. I drasticly reduced my carbs and started walking 1-2 miles a day and have not had any fluctuations in 4 weeks (prior my sugar would drop at least 1-2 x's a week). Keep up the good work Steven!!!!!!
vealcalf2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 02:41 PM   #12  
I AM healthy!

S/C/G: 270/196.2/135

Height: 5'4

Congrats Steven. You are doing great!!!!
Jasmine31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 06:57 AM   #13  
I'm not drunk, I have MS.

S/C/G: HW:250/SW://170

Height: 5'8" Apple Shape

YaY for no meds! That is my goal. I "only" take metformin/glyburide for diabetes, but I also take meds for BP and cholesterol too.

Steven, your photos are amazing and so is your success, congratulations!
ShootingStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 10:09 AM   #14  
MSer living healthy

S/C/G: 300/176/170

Height: 5ft 8in

Congratulations Steven you really do deserve coming off all diabetic medication if your blood sugars warrant this. It is a reward for changing your eating habits and now having a healthier, slimmmer new you. You must be really proud of your acheivements and your doctor must also be very pleased in the changes that you have made to your life style that have made a great impact on your health as well.

Keep up the great work and you will soon be at your goal
purpleorc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 04:32 PM   #15  
Misfit

S/C/G: 264.5/238/150

Height: 5'6

Great job. You are an inspiration to diabetics!
cmbmom05 is offline   Reply With Quote