Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 06-19-2004, 06:31 PM   #16  

Talking

I did feel better. So much energy, and I felt much better. I managed more activity yesterday too. I had read something yesterday whcih said you would but more fat if you exercised before breakfast. So today 20 minutes on the Nordic track before breakfast followed by a swim. we are having some hot 90+ days with 90% humidity so I am trying to be smart with my exercise. It is interesting how much the exercise make me feel more upbeat. I also love those ducks. I have several who hang out under my bird feeder-- they like the corn that falls. If I forget to put the seed out, they come up to me when I go outside and remind me. Watching the birds and squrrels help me to feel centered and part of a larger world. Hope you enjoyed your day.
Bonnie
tcstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 03:56 PM   #17  

Question

How do I make me and my exercise a priority? I know it helps; I know I feel better; I know I enjoy it once I get started, so why can I do everything else first? So what is the key?
tcstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 02:13 PM   #18  

New to board. Just recently got back on health plan. I won't call this a diet. For a change I'm simply eating healthier, knowing that is better in the long run. I can't do high protein- bloating and nausea, so I am eating lots of veggies and even generous starches. BUT - I am drinking my 64 oz of water everyday and exercising 5 x week. I decided to be real with myself and allow my normal goodies on the weekend with dh. I have lost 3 lbs in the last week or so. The biggest difference is that for the first time in my adult life, maybe my whole life, I am sleeping at night. I have more energy during the day, more mental clarity, more emotional stability (despite some serious stressors right now). I feel more functional. It's got to be the water and exercise.
209.4/206.4/124
books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 11:18 PM   #19  
I lost over 80 pounds!

7 years ago I was diagnosed as Type II Bi-Polar. I get REALLY manic. I also had underlying depression, anxiety and PTSD. I also exhibited some obsessive compulsive tendencies.

About a year ago my doctor started taking me off the meds. Now I have been off all meds for about 7 or 8 months.

What happened? I changed WHAT I was eating and HOW I was eating it.

B Vitamins are very good for leveling the mood. Also, Omega 3's are very good for most types of depression and bi polar disorder.
Balancing the body physically through nutrition helps balance what happens in the brain IN MOST CASES. Before you start chucking meds, though, work with your doctor.

Many people and doctors believe that processed foods increase the likelihood of depression.

High fat diets also contribute to depression.

Sugar is another culprit. Don't cut out sugar completely, but cut it down.

Stick to fresh fruits and vegetables, lean meats and lost of fiber. Keep your carbohydrates complex, not simple.

Good nutrition ensures that the organs function properly. If the body isn't working the way is should, the brain won't function right either.

Exercise is integral in treating depression. When you exercise your body releases endorphins which elevate your mood. Additionally, a physically fit body functions properly. The blood flow is regular and no organs are deprived.

In other words, eat right, exercise, keep your body working properly and you will feel much, much better.
fotojunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 04:32 PM   #20  
Future Wonder Woman

S/C/G: 248/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Smile My healthcare providers agree with you!

Photojunkie,

Congrats on your weight loss! That's awesome. How did you do it? How long did it take you?

About 3 weeks ago, I had been experiencing such tremendous anxiety and PTSD flare-ups that I called Kaiser Permanente's version of a crisis line to see if there was anything they could suggest. I asked them if they thought that eating too many carbohydrates (the simple ones) could cause mood swings and she said definitely. She said eating healthy would help a lot and that exercise, even if it is leisurely, will help with the anxiety. My psychiatrist had previously told me she wanted me to start exercising every day, that it would help with my anxiety and anger flare-ups.

I haven't been able to get out of the house because when my PTSD flares up, I am just too agitated by other people and I can't handle it. Now, I am finally feeling a little better. I am back 100% of the time on my eating plan (I was doing it about 30% of the time for a couple of months) and I am feeling better. I just joined a gym and today we are going to go lift some weights. Tonight, I may go back and do some yoga.
trooworld is offline   Reply With Quote