Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 08:24 AM   #1  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Default 300+ And Ready to Try Again...#987

We are a group of individuals who weigh or have weighed 300+, or near there. This group was formed to provide a place for others like us to find support and hope. We are aware of the distinct problems that come with weighing over 300 lbs.

We want to invite everyone to join us in our journey.
We share laughter and tears.
We share what works for us and what doesn't.
We often use a "Topic of the Day" for discussion.

Motivational Monday
Tuesday Tips
Wednesday Wish List .. and What you are doing to obtain it.
Thankful Thursday
FUN Friday ... don't wait until you lose your weight.
Sit-up Saturdays - any physical activity
Share your Success Sunday

These are not required topics ...just ideas to share. We often find them very helpful. We also share heartaches and fears ... joys and celebrations.

We have several extra threads going on simutaneously such as Monthly Challenges, Weekly Weigh-ins, Recipes, Bios, and more. Please feel free to check them all out.

We have found this thread to be more than just a support group...
we have found it to become a home. We invite you to join us.

WELCOME!

I know you'll all agree that we are really thankful for the free services here at 3FC. The sisters offer all of this support and information with no charges to us. There are a couple of ways though that we can help out.

If you are thinking about buying anything at Amazon, why not help out 3FC at the same time? You can do this by clicking on the button for Amazon on any page in the forum, or by clicking on the button on the main 3FC page at
www.3fatchicks.com . A portion of your purchase price will be given to 3FC by Amazon. It doesn't increase your price at all, but it does help out 3FC. You can use any of the Amazon.com links that you see on the site in order to help contribute to the site.

Also, BTW, in case you didn't know it, you can view the message boards "ad free" for a minimal charge. I think it's like $15 for 6 months. A very small investment to be rid of the annoying ads and make your pages load quicker.

There have been some concerns expressed by the powers that be about copyright infringement. So please, if you are directly quoting someone else or printing an article in whole or in part, please give credit where credit is due!!!!
Old 08-23-2006, 08:56 AM   #2  

Height: 5'8.5"

Good morning, all! I am off to work but before I go I wanted to ask that whichever of you on the other side of the water is holding the fairy fat mother hostage, please let her go and send her back this way. She has some work to do on the USA Left Coast. I gained back two pounds and they are NOT wanting to go away again and take their friends with them!
Old 08-23-2006, 09:22 AM   #3  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

haha, just reading "fairy fat mother" makes me laugh Not that it'sfunny that anyone is holding her hostage, but you know what I mean

Anyway...my challenge for today is that "mixed nuts" is one of the meals on my menu. I love them. I bought 4 cans of them this week because they were on sale. They are good for you. But they are SO high in calories, and last time I had them, I ended up eating almost an entire can in one sitting (over 1600 calories worth )!

My new battle plan is that, first of all, I will use the mixed nuts as my snack instead of a meal, so perhaps mentally I will know I don't need to eat as much. Also, I will be at home instead of work, so I can focus more on what I'm eating. I'll take just a measuring cup (1/4 or 1/3...something small) of nuts instead of the whole can to help control my portion size. It feels good to at least have a plan of attack in place
Old 08-23-2006, 09:35 AM   #4  

Hello All!

Just a quickie! Today is WI after a WEEK completely OP with food and definately better on exercise.

Got to work and Panera Bread is right outside my door! I swear, one of the secretaries brought in 1/2 the pastry case. Scones! I LOVE scones! But I looked them up on Dotties Weight Loss Zone and the orange ones are 10 pts and the cinnamon ones are 12! Don't think I'll be having those today! Still, I MAY squeeze in 1/2 a muffie - 6 pts for a whole one...better!

Jilly: I love Wal-Mart trail mix. The one with M&M's and almonds and cashews! When I get a craving, it's usually for nuts, with chocolate a close 2nd. So I bought a big bag and divided it into individual servings in snack bags. I mentioned it a couple of threads ago. Anyway, that way I know what I'm getting, it's portable, and I can just grab and go.

Well, late for work! Gotta go!
Old 08-23-2006, 11:09 AM   #5  

misti i think Ammi is holding that fat fairy hostage lol!
Old 08-23-2006, 12:04 PM   #6  
Erica

S/C/G: 312/310/175

Height: 5'8"

Good morning everybody. Well, weighed myself today (against my better judgement) and was down from 312 to 309. Now, I know it is water weight probably. But it gets me so much closer to 299. I don't know what it is about being just under 300. It is surely a mental thing!

I am so inspired by everyone's goal trackers in their signatures. Everyone is doing so well and doing the best they can. I love it!!

I think it was Lilion that had a great idea regarding the trail mix. I love the Mountain Mix from Sam's (with M&M's). I am sure it is the same thing at Wal-Mart. I am going to divide it into single serving baggies. I love that idea. I still feel like I can have an "indulgence" but still keep it in check! Thanks for the idea.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:18 PM   #7  

Well ladies...something must have worked. Last week had me back up to 246 point something. I think it was 246.8. Todays...243.2. Actually, not as good as yesterday which was 243.0...but I'll not gripe over 3.2 ounces. I'm just glad it's down under 244. Now to keep it that way!
Old 08-23-2006, 12:28 PM   #8  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Just a quick run by... I notice people mentioned trail mix. I make my own. I get raisins and nuts and I mix it together. I portion it out and eat it when I want a little snack. You could also add chocolate chips if you want chocolate which would probably be slightly better than m&ms. I was thinking of buying chocolate chips for just that purpose but it is kind of like slightly playing with the devil
Old 08-23-2006, 12:48 PM   #9  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

I wanted to say a quick thanks to everyone for their kind words regarding my insurance scare. I am feeling much better now. It is so interesting how an event can bring up such strong associated feelings - not just about the event but about life in general.

Thinthinker – The woman at the hospital mentioned they might be able to write off part of it, but it was hard to imagine they would write off that much. I guess part of the issue is that one line item looks like it has been coded incorrectly. The hospital charged $12,000 and the insurance company set the amount they thought the item was worth at something like $1100. The billing company is going to try and sort it out with the insurance. Hopefully I won’t have to worry about it again.

Ammi – Missing the appointment sounds totally like something I would do! That is awful that he will have to get back in the queue for another appointment. I am glad you decided to take advantage of everyone being ready to go out for the day anyway.

Matrishka – Welcome!! I find that dealing with the feelings associated with eating is one of my toughest battles. Have you ever read any Geneen Roth? Her books helped me so much in identifying why I ate emotionally. I don’t really follow the intuitive eating method she prescribes, but her insights on what eating was fulfilling for me emotionally have been amazing. Also, you mentioned in your first post difficulties with walking. If you are looking for a way to start to get active there are some seated exercise videos that you might be able to start with. One place to check out is www.collagevideo.com. They are under the specialty workout section and you can even watch a preview.

Angie – I am so sorry about your flowers. It is so hurtful when people steal things like that. How much could the flowers possibly be worth monetarily, but they had such personal value to you because of the hard work you put into them. When I was young I went through a REALLY rough time and I had my car broken into the day after I lost my insurance coverage due to non-payment (I was unemployed and had no money). They smashed my window and stole a factory installed radio out of a – get this – Geo Metro (one of the cheapest cars ever made). What could that possibly have been worth - $5? Yet because I had no insurance the window replacement cost me quite a bit and I had to wait awhile to get it replaced. It just made no sense.

Jill – I haven’t been able to eat many nuts since I started. It is too tough for me to keep the portions under control. The only thing that has been ok is flavored pistachios because they take so much work.

Melissa – I asked my trainer last night about too much exercise being counter productive. He thinks he remembered reading something about it and will try to look it up. I think I have read elsewhere that losing weight is something like 80% diet and 20% exercise, so the major factor is what you eat. So, if doing the extra exercise is causing you to eat more (exercise can make you hungrier) it might be not be cancelling out. I am trying to change up my patterns to see if it helps.

Martzerica – Welcome to the 300+ section. Definitely jump right in. Not feeling able to have children is definitely one of my motivations. I still haven’t decided if I want them or not, but I want the option – I want it to be my decision rather than something decided for me.

Jen – Congrats on making it into the 2’s! It feels good doesn’t it?

Kim – Here’s hoping that your job interview went well today.

Nightkatt – That is so cool you are getting a lamb. I live in an apartment and we can’t have any animals so it is so outside my realm of thinking. Is it just going to be a pet or will you try getting wool from it or something?

Misti – Have you looked at any of the two piece suits? Someone else mentioned Junonia I think. I just checked their site and they have separates that you can piece together so you can buy a bigger top and smaller bottom. They aren’t cheap, but if it is something you love it might be worth it.

Lilion – Congrats on being down another 3 pounds. I haven’t worked up the courage to attend a meeting, but I have started researching an identity for the SCA. Right now I am thinking Ottoman, but I am still looking around.

I have realized that part of my anxiety over not feeling like the scale is moving is my dissatisfaction at work. I have a good job in many ways, but I don't feel challenged. I love to be busy all the time, and I'm just not - at least not with the stuff I want to be doing. I wanted to wait until I had lost a significant amount of my weight before moving to a public accounting firm for many reasons. There is the appearance issue, but I also want to be able to travel. I don't have to dress up for work right now, so I will need a whole new wardrobe and I don't want to have to buy it more than once if possible. There is also the time demands of a job in public accounting - it would be hard to find time for exercise and meal planning. I need to separate my work anxiety from my weight loss or it will be very counterproductive.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:01 PM   #10  

Ooooo Nancy! Ottoman would be interesting! You should go to a meeting though - then you'd have folks to help you research your persona. Not like you have to have one to go! Sounds to me like the whole insurance/bill thing will sort itself out...hang in there!
Old 08-23-2006, 02:36 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotTheCheat View Post
Melissa – I asked my trainer last night about too much exercise being counter productive. He thinks he remembered reading something about it and will try to look it up. I think I have read elsewhere that losing weight is something like 80% diet and 20% exercise, so the major factor is what you eat. So, if doing the extra exercise is causing you to eat more (exercise can make you hungrier) it might be not be cancelling out. I am trying to change up my patterns to see if it helps.

NotTheCheat - Thanks so much for asking your trainer. I look forward to any info. Also, the extra exercise does make me hungier, BUT, I still get through the day with my 2000 calorie limit in check...so it's not like I've been eating the calories I burn off, plus more, or anything. That's why I'm so confused - I'm OP eating everyday, and with 1hr of exercise a day it's going slower than when I never exercised those first 2 months (I just swam once a week or so). Although I am getting smaller, so it is helping me non-scale wise. But, should I risk those physical results and lower to 30ish minutes a day so I can up it as I go?
Old 08-23-2006, 02:43 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Misti -- the fairy fat mother can come visit me too... you know, if she's headed this side of the ocean and all...
Old 08-23-2006, 03:44 PM   #13  
Erica

Sorry, what does OP mean?
Old 08-23-2006, 04:06 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by martzerica View Post
Sorry, what does OP mean?
Usually "on plan." Tho sometimes people seem to use it for "off plan" too! Makes you a little

Oh, and another common abbreviation: NSV stands for "non-scale victory" - things like when you fit in a smaller size, or can do more than you could before. One of my most recents NSVs was that I can now put down the tray table all the way on the plane! In Economy! With room to spare!
Old 08-23-2006, 04:11 PM   #15  
Erica

Thank you for the help Heather. By the way, the plane tray is a big achievement. Congrats!

Can you also explain this:

August exercise 900/1300 min

Is you goal to exercise 900 minutes or what?

THANKS!
Closed Thread