Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2004, 08:46 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 330/325/170

Question Wellbutrin

Could someone give me some information on Wellbutrin? My Doctor prescribed it for me today. I have taken Lexapro and Buspar but neither one of those helped. I hope this Wellbutrin is the answer to my prayers. The only bad thing is my insurance doesn't cover medicine and everywhere I've called to get prices is HIGH. I've thought about ordering online from Canada but my Mom said that probably wouldn't be safe since I would have to fax them my drivers license and credit card information. Any suggestions?
Old 02-05-2004, 08:48 AM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Hi Stephanie,

I honestly don't know how safe it is to buy drugs from Canada, sorry. I was on welbutrin for a while and really felt good. I'd have to say I felt the best using that drug. It also is supposed to help curb your appetite, so thats always a plus.

I hope some one can help you on this.

Hugs, Leenie
Old 02-05-2004, 10:34 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Height: 5'3"

Stephanie, we also don't have insurance and have to pay full price for meds. My son takes generic prozac and I was ordering it from Canada a year ago and it was an awful experience that I could have kicked myself for. It took us 6 months to figure out there was a problem with the meds. Come to find out their generic prozac wasn't up to par with the generic prozac made here in the states, in that Canada's had less of the active ingredient, which is what he really needed, and it was huge problem. In the meantime, his generic prozac here went from about $350 a month to $150 a month, which was a huge savings.

I am certainly not putting down Canada, but there is just something different with the meds, and with something as important as anti depressants it is just not worth the difference in price.

Perhaps if you dealing with the name brand drug, rather then the generic, you would get the exact same med, but I'm not sure it is worth the risk.

Did you ask your doc about samples? A lot of times if they are aware that you do not have insurance, they are willing to help you out with samples as much as they have access to.

I hope this helps in some way.

take care,
Cathy
Old 02-05-2004, 12:48 PM   #4  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Cathy, I used to work for a Generic Pharmaceutical company (7 years) and I was in Product Development, which means I would buy the raw material (active material) to make the drugs. I can tell you this, people tend to think generic is the same as brand.... bologna! There are different grades of raw materials, thats why we would get samples of different companies materials, run tests and pick the best one.

I'm not saying Generic bad, by no means, it can be wonderful, what I am saying is it can work differently from person to person. And it is NOT the same as the brand product (although the main ingredient is the same, but different grades).

When buying products over seas one thing to remember is, they do not have the same guidelines as we do here in the States.

Its hard to explain...sorry.

Leenie
Old 02-05-2004, 02:17 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 330/325/170

Hello Leenie and Cathy!

Thank you so much for your response. I have been calling around to different pharmacies today and the cheapest I have found for a thirty day supply is $102.00. My Doctor didn't have any samples but he did give me two $10 off coupons. I guess I will just have to find a way to buy them since I desperately need them.

I appreciate your help. Thanks again!
Old 02-05-2004, 03:30 PM   #6  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Isn't that the saddest thing, people so in need of medicine and all this country can do is sit by. Stephanie is there any way of getting assistance, how about calling the local clinic. Boy thats rough.

I will be praying for you.
Old 02-05-2004, 03:43 PM   #7  
Divine Gal

I take the generic form of wellbutrin.GlaxoSmithKilne is the one who makes it.They have a program where you can get your medicine for free; if you fit certain criteria.(income etc...)U may want to look into.I did and I don't pay for mine...
Old 02-16-2004, 12:01 PM   #8  

Stephnms, I have taken Wellbutrin on and off for years. I have been taking it pretty regularly for six months or so this last time. I always feel better on it. I currently am taking 300 mg in the XL formula, which is a one time per day pill. I feel better than I have in 3 years. It definitely blunts my appetite. I also take Adderall for depression--it's usually prescribed for ADD but also helps with depression. I have cut out sugar and flour and started taking lots of Vitamin C and fish oil. Finally, I take T3, which is a specially compounded thyroid hormone, different from Synthroid, etc., which are T4 hormones. Again, I feel better than I have in more than 3 years and I have lost about 14 pounds by cutting out the flour and sugar and adding more fiber. I cannot stress how important it is for me to take the right amounts of the drugs that work. It makes a huge differnce for me.

There is a generic Wellbutrin--I don't know if it's the regular formula or the sunstained release. Like someone else said above (with great authority, given her background) generics are not always the same and you should try both the brand name and the generic and see if you notice a difference.

Good luck. Elisabeth
Closed Thread