Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 11-18-2006, 09:40 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 215/209/155

Height: 5.7

Default Wellbutrin & Hives

I was on wellbutrin and doing very well (happy, energetic, less stressed) and then 3 weeks in I got bad hives on my arms legs and back. I have since quit the Wellbutrin and now am back in the dumps, not even wabting to get out of bed. I am researching the wellbutrin and hives and some have stuck through the hives, with antihistamine support, and are now fine on the Wellbutrin. Anyone here been through this? I have tried other AD drugs in the past and this is the only one that has made a signifigant difference without causing the horrible sexual side affects.

Thanks for reading, any input would be appreciated.
Christy S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 11:47 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 227/153/135

Height: 5'7"

I hear ya' on the sexual side effects. I told my doctor "Yeah, Paxil is great - until I want to have sex. Then I'm twice as depressed as I was before." She loved that and later told me she quoted me to several of her patients

Did you have medical guidance when you quit taking the Wellbutrin? If not, please contact your doctor before starting again. Quitting cold turkey can cause seizures and restarting at the same dosage after too long can cause issues as well. Yeah, I am talking from experience here and NO, I am NOT a doctor. I've never even played one on TV.

Good luck and congrats on finding the strength to post tonight. I'm sure it wasn't the easiest thing to do.
OnePerDecade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 12:06 AM   #3  

Yes, my doctor was the one who suggested I go off the Wellbutrin, but then he also has suggested Lexapro (had some samples) and I am refusing that one. The weight gain, sexual side affects and the withdrawl side affects can be horrible on the lexapro and the wellbutrin was working so well. He says I can try the Wellbutrin again, just to make sure that was the main cause for the hives. Pretty scary, but I didn't have them on my upper torso or neck so I am tempted to try again.
Old 11-19-2006, 07:24 AM   #4  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

What about prozac? or zoloft? don't give up there are many meds out there. When I was on prozac I had no problems with weight gain, I actually lost weight and can't think of any sexual side effects either.

Sorry the Welbutrin gave you hives but don't give up !!! your worth it girlie.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 06:56 PM   #5  

Was on prozac for years it eventually quit working. Haven't heard very many good things about Zoloft either (weight gain and sexual side affects). Thanks for the input, I am going to try the wellbutrin again on Monday. Taking it with claritin so hopefully I can get through it.
Old 11-19-2006, 07:47 PM   #6  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Good Luck !!
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 01:11 AM   #7  

Thanks, I will keep you posted.
Old 11-20-2006, 09:40 AM   #8  

Christy - I've struggled with depression for most of my life and have tried nearly every drug on the market. I *urge* you to ask your doctor about Effexor. It has no weight gain or sexual side effects, it is really easy on your body and it is very easy to come off of. It has made all the difference in my life. Please ask, it might be right for you.
Good luck!
northernstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 11:22 PM   #9  
RN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christy S View Post
I was on wellbutrin and doing very well (happy, energetic, less stressed) and then 3 weeks in I got bad hives on my arms legs and back. I have since quit the Wellbutrin and now am back in the dumps, not even wabting to get out of bed. I am researching the wellbutrin and hives and some have stuck through the hives, with antihistamine support, and are now fine on the Wellbutrin. Anyone here been through this? I have tried other AD drugs in the past and this is the only one that has made a signifigant difference without causing the horrible sexual side affects.

Thanks for reading, any input would be appreciated.
My DH had hives from Wellbutrin, took some Benadryl and continued with the Wellbutrin. Ultimately, he ended up in the ER with an almost anaphylactic reaction.

As a nurse, IMHO I'd have to say that all drugs affect all people differently. The risk here just seems too high.
flowerbunnylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 04:22 AM   #10  
aud
lc lifestyle

S/C/G: 254/234/139

Height: 5'6"

I had an experience with this . . . I took Wellbutrin when it first came out and LOVED it. Lost my prescription drug coverage and had a few years w/o it. Resumed and started the Wellbutrin XL and a few MONTHS in got hives---chest and then THROAT! It was AWFUL - I'd never had hives b4 (I'm 45.) I was taken off immediately--had shots and then steroids to get rid of--Internist switched me to Effexor--took several weeks and was a MESS. My psychiatrist said that I should be careful the rest of my life when it comes to "Sulfa Antibiotics"--that I would be susceptible to allergic reaction. This rings true 'cause as I am going thru the change--the mirror reminds me daily that I AM MY MOM--who DID become allergic to sulfa-drugs later in her life!!!! He then switched me to Cymbalta by day - Imipramine by night. This regime is much better than Effexor for me, but NOTHING like how GREAT I felt taking Wellbutrin----so about a year has gone by and I've been bugging my psychiatrist to find whatever the heck it is in Wellbutrin and get me some - cause that component is definitely what my brain is missing!

Whew . . . didn't mean to go on and on - it's just that I love me some Wellbutrin!

To conclude . . . psychiatrist did some research and thinks that perhaps I may be allergic to the "XL" part of the newest Wellbutrin---the coating that makes it time released? Since I took the earlier version (morning and bedtime) w/o a problem. I'm off work for a week and he's given me a low dose of plain ole Wellbutrin to take along with the Cymbalta as a trial.

I'd be interested to know if the hives/shock was all from folks on the XL?
aud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 02:10 PM   #11  

Just wanted to check in. Have been taking the wellbutrin xl 1/2 dose (150mg) since Monday with great results. I am also taking claritin in the late afternoon just in case the hives do come back. I have been told that if they were to come back from an allegic reaction it would have been within the firdt 1-3 days. I won't consider myself in the clear for at least 15-20 days though. Then I will try going back up to full dose. I also haven't been using any of the BB&B perfumed soaps or body sprays. Have never been allegic to them in the past but in my research have seen that sometime the WB makes the skin more sensative to soaps and dyes.

Funny thing happened yesterday though. I had to go to my chiropractor for stiffness in my neck and a sharp pain in my middle back. Both set in about the time of the hives but I figured it was a reaction to the prednisone. My doctor has a chart on the wall and both of the vertebrea (sp?) that were out of allignment can be related to skin reations and hives (also hair loss which I have seen some of on the WB). This is probaly just a coincidence but I thought it worth mentioning.

Oh, and I had also heard of people being allegic to the shell of the pill and or the dyes in the shell of the older pill.

Thanks!
Old 11-23-2006, 02:13 PM   #12  

Also, since back on the WB I have had more energy again and feel much more peaceful about life in general. Sounds like a contradiction but this AD increases my energy level while "smoothing the edges off" everything that causes my stress and depression. This is the only AD that has helped with both of these and not interfered with my libido, if anything it is enhanced.

Just wish I knew what triggered it all...
Old 11-27-2006, 01:01 PM   #13  
Elaine

S/C/G: 250/250/150

Height: 5'7"

Default So I'm not the only one (Wellbutrin and Hives)!

I've been taking Wellbutrin XL for several weeks now - I eased onto it at 150mg while tapering off of Cymbalta, and have been taking 300mg without Cymbalta since November 14.

On the afternoon of November 12, the itching started on my torso, by the end of the day, my scalp, my arms, my back, and down my legs to my calves were very itchy, with the welts not appearing until after I scratched. My doctors have been confused about it, and I've heard that I've had a systemic allergic reaction to a new laundry soap I was using. I have since washed everything in my wardrobe in something I know to be reliable, and the itching continues. I was taking Zyrtec for the itching, and Claritin does nothing for me. I really don't want to take Predesone, because I've gained enough weight since I got on this ride. I have used Benadryl spray for the insane itchy spells. Add to that edema and a personal thermostat that is entirely out of whack. All since November 12.

A web search showed me that this is not so uncommon, although the makers of Wellbutrin have not clearly claimed it. There are message boards where people discuss the same problems you and I have had, and there are reports out there about occurrences in tests, but you'd have to pay for those reports. It looks like we could write one of our own. Whatever happens, do check with your doctor. I have read far more stories of anaphylactic shock than I have of the hives dissipating on their own. But again, it's up to the doc. Be sure you mention every little feeling you have, because I'm pretty sure that doctors only learn about lesser known side effects when they're reported by one of their patients.

I'm going to the doc tonight to discuss this with him. I'll report back with what comes of that talk.

Heavy sigh. Hang in there. Very few people in the world are not helpable with medication. Very, very few. The fact that there are so many available says that everyone deals with these meds in their own way. So we trudge on.

Elaine
Chquita66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 01:50 AM   #14  

I really appreciate all the input. I am still on the wb and things are still going well.

I read quite a few stories to, as well as researching the anaphalictic shock. From what my doctor is telling me and what I am reading on the 'net if I were allegic to the WB than my body would have become sensitized. At the second exposure I would have had an immediate allegic reaction and might of had to go to the hospital. I guess the fact that the closest hospital is just a block away made it seem worth taking the risk. I really think that it was the soap but I don't want to test that theory - I can do without the smelly soaps

Funnybunnylove - how long after your husband resumed taking the wb and the benadryl did he have his reaction? That is one of the reasons I am posting is to get more info. My doctor (like many) had never heard of the WB causing hives. I agree, it is always best to take the Doctors advice first but it can't hurt to research it on our own too.

I also agree that there isn't enough posted/available information on this drug and its side affect with hives and itching. I think most people either give up or they get better and never post their positive results. Sad thing is I have noticed everyone can take the time to go online and complain, yet few take the time to post the positive.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:50 AM   #15  

Sorry, I meant flowerbunnylove