Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 04-02-2008, 09:15 PM   #1  
Spiritual Being

S/C/G: 155/152/135

Height: 5' 6''

Default Wellbutrin Advice?

Only my 2nd day here and I already have my 2nd med question. I finally got fed up with the weight gain with the Remeron, so I got an appointment with my psychiatrist today to discuss changing my med.

So, he agree do change me to Wellbutrin XL. For the next 2 weeks, I am to cut my Remeron in half & continue taking it at night. Also, I am to begin the Wellbutrin XL 150mg in the morning.

My question is my doc said to take the Wellbutrin in the morning, but I have read to take it at night. If you don't, it can screw with your sleep. What is y'all's experience with this? I would appreciate any advice/suggestions/experiences. Thank you!
rnntn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 09:28 PM   #2  
Christie

S/C/G: 197/ticker/135

Height: 5'4

I take mine first thing in the morning and I am on 300. I don't have one single problem sleeping! My dr. told me that Wellbutrin is supposed to help increase energy levels d/t the decrease that you get when depressed.

Hope that helps!
readytobethinagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 09:33 PM   #3  
184/173/140

S/C/G: 184/173/140

Height: 5'6

Default Wellbutrin

I have been on a couple all causing weight gain. However, Wellbutrin has been wonderful. As a matter of fact no real side effects at all. I take 1 in the morning and 1 in the afternoon equaling 300mg. Zero sleeping or weight gaining issues.

Good Luck
stacyann5500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 09:51 PM   #4  
Spiritual Being

Whew! Those were some quick responses! Thank you so much! I knew I could depend on the experts here. Thanks!
Old 04-02-2008, 10:04 PM   #5  
~Believe~

S/C/G: XXX/-155/140

Height: 5'3

I have been on Wellbutrin XL for at least a year now with absolutely no problems, it is great, I love it! I too take it when I first get up (I work nights so its not in the morning but still does not affect my sleep)
Sassy_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 10:13 PM   #6  
Spiritual Being

Thanks Sassy!
Old 04-04-2008, 09:15 PM   #7  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

I started Wellbutrin in Jan. or Feb. of this year, after being on Lexapro for two years. Co-incidentally or not, for two years my weight has steadily climbed 20 pounds, and my scary suicidal thoughts kept creeping in. So I asked my doctor for something different.

At first I would take the Wellbutrin in the morning, but I was completely wired until 11 at night. Which was a HUGE change, I was always, always sleepy on Lexapro (Would fall asleep watching the 6 pm news, would fall asleep getting my hair cut! or sitting on hard plastic chair waiting for tire change!)

When I switched to taking the Wellbutrin at night, that helped. Seems paradoxal, but worked for me.

I sure hope the Wellbutrin works for you and that we can both get our energy and motivation to do this thing!
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 09:31 PM   #8  
Spiritual Being

Thanks, VermontMom!

So far, *knock on wood*, my sleep has not been disturbed. Sleep is very important to me. When I don't have a good night's sleep, my depression rear's its ugly head. Yes, I have only been on Wellbutrin for 2 days, but I have been able to fall & stay asleep both nights. There is a caveat though. I am still on a half dose of Remeron for 2 weeks. The true test is when these 2 weeks are over with. I will keep y'all updated.

Thank you everyone for your quick & helpful responses.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:02 PM   #9  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

I was always told to take it in the morning.

The only sleep issues I had is when I switched from XL to the SR twice daily. That kept me up for HOURS. I switched back and problem resolved.

Wellbutrin only helps with weight loss if you're actively working to lose weight. I've gained on it before but I wasn't really trying back then. It REALLY helps me to control my pointless head hunger though so unless I eat a bunch of empty carbs I find it easier not to pig-out and eat a box of cereal.

It's not a miracle but it's a tool with Wellbutrin and Exercise my mood is much improved as is my weight.
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 11:53 PM   #10  
Spiritual Being

Way to go, Idealmuse! You are definitely an inspiration!

Thank you for all of your advice and words of wisdom. Part of my psychiatrist's prescription for me is to exercise 5 - 6 days a week at least an hour a day that way I stay on the lowest dose possible of my antidepressant. Exercise is a key to us kicking this disease of depression, and I totally agree with this.

Positive thoughts sent out to all of us in reaching our goals!

Last edited by rnntn; 04-04-2008 at 11:54 PM.
Old 04-06-2008, 03:24 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 177/see ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

Well I'm at 161 as of yesterday. I managed to finally start losing after starting the wellbutrin. My mood is better, and I have more energy. I take 150 and I've lost a good 7 pounds in a little over a month, without making any other changes, although I am a lot less hungry, and I seem to have more energy to exercise so I guess that's how it is helping me. The only problem I get is headaches.
rosemarie0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 08:54 PM   #12  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Rosemarie, I couldn't help noticing that we both are 5'6", and started at 177 best of luck to all of us
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 09:56 PM   #13  
Spiritual Being

Hey, I started off around 178, and I am 5' 6". I just rounded up to 180 for an even # to start off at. I am a lil OCD. Should I say 178 or 180? What do y'all think I should do? Y'all have been here longer. I am just a newbie.

I guess we are all starting off around the same #. Must be something in the air. Strength & ++++++ vibes to us all!
Old 04-15-2008, 04:01 AM   #14  

I too have been on welbutrin for years, first the SR and for the past 3 years the XL. For some reason, my doctor added Prozac first and then switched me to Zoloft. Something within those two meds made me gain a ton of weight. I went from being around 155 to 185 my all time high- even higher than I was pregnant 14 years ago.I'm 5"7.
After going off of the zoloft 2 weeks ago, I lost a few lbs- only about 4 but I'll take it! I really think that Zoloft, Prozac and even lexapro all put weight on. I also realize that I am not 25 anymore and not doing tons of aerobic exercise. I'm 47 and my metabolism certainly has slowed down.
I know I need to exercise for the benefit of health, sleep, mood, weight but just can't get motivated. Any ideas? I have every diet book and tape on amazon and do like pilates and yoga but are they enough?
laugh817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 09:01 AM   #15  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Jumping little bit late to the discussion ---

I was on Wellbutrin for years, but (alas!) I have no idea if it was XL or SR. I was on a very small dosage, I think only 100. I took it in the morning, after breakfast. I DID have problems sleeping and the Wellbutrin, as an anti-depressant, was supposed to help with that (I tend to wake up in the middle of the night, usually between 3-4 a.m. and I cannot go back to sleep.
So Wellbutrin had zero effect on that, it continued in spite of the med. Finally, I weaned myself off because I felt it was no longer doing anything for me. I have been off it for over a year.

Having read the thread, I wonder if I should have taken it at night, but I do believe I took in the morning upon the advice of my doctor, who is usually very thorough and I did tell each (each year) that it is not doing anything for my sleep.
I gained weight while I was on it but I think it would be unfair to blame the pudginess on Wellbutrin - lifestyle, bad diet and little activity was probably the real cause.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote