Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 12-01-2014, 12:36 AM   #1  
I can do it!!!

S/C/G: 223/165/145

Height: 5'4"

Smile Ups & Downs Support Group: December 2014

Hello and to the Ups & Downs Support Group: December 2014 thread! If you are a "regular," please post and let us know you made it onto the new thread. Anyone is welcome to join the group! All it takes is a willingness to give and receive support in your weight loss journey. We named the group Ups & Downs to reflect the ups and downs of weight loss, especially when it comes to living with depression and, for many of us, on medications that make it even more difficult to lose weight. Also, life in general is filled with ups and downs. So please join in the discussion and tell us a little (or a lot) about yourself and someone will respond to you. This is OUR group, so POST away!!!
IBelieveInMe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 01:34 PM   #2  
rockin' my 60s!

Location: from Houston, TX—now in Maryland (Washington DC area)

S/C/G: 351/267/140

Height: 5'3"

I just made a collage I think y'all will like, because it's funny—or at least it tickles my own funny bone. It's called "things for sale on black friday". (As usual, click on the image if you want to see a larger version.)

I know: I should've gotten it up a few days ago. Better late than never! =grin=
Fiona W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 02:53 PM   #3  
rockin' my 60s!

Here's a recent picture of my toddlers. That's Nénu on the top, Oscar on the bottom. I like this photo because it shows the funny little spots in two rows on Oscar's belly. Bob and I get such a kick out of those spots! =smile= We call them toddlers because at seven and a half months of age, they're big enough to create a lot of havoc, but too young to have learned all the rules. And they're a lot of work to keep up with! =laugh=

Last edited by Fiona W; 12-01-2014 at 02:55 PM.
Old 12-01-2014, 04:08 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 282/SeeTicker/160

Here I am. Made it to the new thread. Hey everybody
amylynnehicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 07:00 PM   #5  
I can do it!!!

Smile Happy December!

ARRRRRGH!!! I just lost my post! Basically, I said that a whole new month and week allow us the opportunity to BEGIN AGAIN to give our journeys toward better health our best effort. Remember that we are striving for PROGRESS and NOT perfection. I know that the holidays are upon us, but we can still make progress this month. WE CAN DO IT!!!

I turn 48 this Thursday, the 4th, and I am giving myself the GIFT of GOOD HEALTH this year. I will begin the day with a workout with my trainer. I haven't been exercising over the Thanksgiving holiday and I ate WAY too much, so it is back on board for me this week! I want to be, as the book says, "Younger Next Year!"

Fi: I like your Black Friday collage and I LOVE the photo of your "toddlers!" From your pictures, I would never know that Oscar and Nenu are sick. I am glad that they are enjoying being toddler kittens despite the ringworm and breathing difficulties. How is Project Ringworm going? I hope all is well with you!

AmyLynne: Hello! Thank you for checking in on the new thread! Hope all is well with you, too!

Everyone else, please check in ASAP and let us know how things are going for you!
Old 12-01-2014, 11:33 PM   #6  

Hi,

I would like to join this thread. Enjoy so much reading your encouraging posts. Fiona love your art. I have wanted to start doing something to help me relax and do something that lessens my thought of soothing myself with food.

Have a wonderful Tuesday!

Bonnie
bonnie2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 10:01 AM   #7  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

to Bonnie

thank you Kathleen for starting Dec. thread! I am LATE in getting ready for work but had to say hi here I commend you for choosing your upcoming birthday to commit to working out; here is your encouragement from me and I worked out this morning, my 54th birthday

hugs to everyone
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 10:05 AM   #8  
rockin' my 60s!

Happy Birthday, Holly!!! And many happy returns of the day!
Old 12-02-2014, 01:16 PM   #9  
I can do it!!!

Smile Welcome!

Bonnie: to the group! Glad you joined us! Please post again and tell us a little (or a lot) about yourself. We are here to support you however we can and to cheer you on toward your goals! Best of luck to you in your weight loss journey!
Old 12-02-2014, 01:21 PM   #10  
I can do it!!!

Talking Happy Birthday, Holly!!!

Holly: We are almost Birthday Buddies!!! Good for you for choosing to start your BIG day with a workout! I hope you have a wonderful day filled with nice little surprises all day long!
Old 12-02-2014, 04:42 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 282/SeeTicker/160

Happy birthday Holly!!!!
amylynnehicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 01:40 PM   #12  
Biker Chick!

thanks for the b-day wishes chicks! had a fun dinner out with husband, 2 sons and the fiance at a local casual favorite place. The bartender said I looked great and bought me a beer and we tipped him very nicely (there's a smart bartender!)

I worked out this morning also, almost 40 minutes of core and cardio.

Have to go to the dentist this afternoon, my SECOND temporary crown broke AGAIN. i am not a ferocious chewer, really! and I'm not eating stuff like peanut brittle to keep doing this, either.

Alot of our snow melted, which I am happy about, because the less there is to accumulate by the driveway, the better.

I am cautious and scared about my usual ritual of Christmas cookie making, I always try so hard to exert good self control and it is so difficult and sometimes very unsuccessful

have our monthly moto-meeting tonight and I don't wanna go don't I do this every month but at least this one is only 10 miles from us, not 40!

hope everyone is doing okay
Old 12-04-2014, 05:38 PM   #13  
Biker Chick!

Me again! today I worked out to a new dvd, my husband got it for me as a b-day gift; 50 minutes and I did it all it was dumbbells, core and cardio.

Then to the FD Aux. to decorate the wreaths and sprays we assembled the other night. I tried to make the mood more festive by wearing some jingly Christmas earrings, and brought my Kindlefire loaded with holiday music. Then home to start cookie and meringue mushroom making for my Christmas goodie gifts. Today I ate one oreo, and one choc. chip cookie. Hopefully that's it for the day!!!

HI to everyone!!
Old 12-06-2014, 11:10 AM   #14  
I can do it!!!

Smile Hello Chicks!

Well, I weighed myself on my b-day (the 4th) and I am back UP to my all-time high weight. However, with the help of my new endocrinologist and the meds she prescribed ~ along with my own hard work with diet and exercise ~ I am determined to be healthier and thinner next year at this time!!! Trying very hard to remain positive and optimistic about my weight loss journey. And working on my patience with the process. I am up to 2 pills per night of Metformin now. It is the med she prescribed for the insulin resistance. It regulates my insulin and blood sugar. I am slowly working up to 4 pills per night. I am soooooooo hoping and praying that it will help me break through this weight plateau/stall I have been on for about 4 years (literally) now. Exercise has been good, but I can't seem to get a handle on consistent healthy eating at the moment. That's okay, though, it will come!

Holly: You are rockin' the exercise, girl!!! Keep up the great work! Hope you had a wonderful birthday!

Where is everyone else?!?!?!?!?!?!?
Old 12-06-2014, 12:57 PM   #15  
rockin' my 60s!

I had quite an adventure last night! With these inside-only kittens, we have to keep a really close watch when we open the doors to the outside. They will eventually grow up into cats who have no interest whatsoever in trying to get outside, but right now they're too young to know the rules.

Well, last night when the pizza delivery guy arrived with the pizza for Bob & Grace and salad for me, I was distracted and forgot to look behind me before opening the front door. Oscar bolted right through the opening, out into the dark night! I didn't have shoes on, just socks, and it was raining, but that didn't matter: of course I ran right out the door after my baby. When I got past the bushes around the front door, the light from the street lamp enabled me to see Oscar, pretty far away, moving tentatively across the lawn toward the street. I made a flying leap, landed prone on the lawn, and grabbed him.

That was like a football tackle! I haven't done anything that athletic in many years. And amazingly, I was completely uninjured. And this morning I am still just fine—no bruises, no sore places, nothing. I mean, I'm so out of shape I get sore from just walking around the block, so whoa...I can't believe it.

I think this Qigong stuff is doing more than just warding off depression. I think it's having a profound effect on my body. I've already noticed that my balance has improved by a huge amount, and that I stand taller. When I was young I was nearly 5' 4", but for a long time my height has been 5' 3". I haven't measured it to check, but I may well be back up to my former height. (!!)

In other news, Grace and I had another terrific Friday together. I let her pick background papers from my collection and mount them on cardboard, then I showed her how to use rubber stamps to make complex patterns (using both ink and acrylic paint) on those papers. She took home eight ready-to-go layered backgrounds to make collages on! She was very happy. She has a natural eye for composition which is getting better all the time. She's becoming quite a fine artist, at the tender age of 14. =grin=

Meanwhile, Nénu bit off all the external stitches but one from her incision after being spayed on Thursday, so the vet had to put an Elizabethan collar on her, but that's another story... (she's doing fine)