Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 12-17-2014, 09:03 PM   #46  
rockin' my 60s!

Location: from Houston, TX—now in Maryland (Washington DC area)

S/C/G: 351/267/140

Height: 5'3"

Well, I'm back to having 0/0/0 days, but it isn't easy: I feel pretty fragile, like the tiniest bit of unanticipated stress could throw me off balance and back into depression pain.

Sometimes just maintaining an even keel is hard work. I have to practice a defensive strategy that Bob and I, being college basketball fans, call "full court press." What I have to do during "full court press" is to stop briefly whenever I finish one activity and am about to start another one, and ask myself, "Will doing this make me depressed, make me manic, or keep me in equilibrium state?" Even something as simple as reading a magazine could send me in the wrong direction, so I have to be very careful about what I'm doing.

At least the kittens, now eight months old, are a reliable source of good feelings. Nénu is no longer in that horrible Elizabethan collar: she's SO happy about that, it just radiates from her face. She and Oscar are thrilled to be back to their huge tussles with lots of mutual neck biting, which eventually unfurl into embracing each other and washing each other's faces and necks, and from there into taking a nap, legs outstretched on each other's bodies.

In the past when Bob and I have had new kittens, we spent a lot of time talking about the emerging personalities of the two individuals, but this time 'round there's a third entity to discuss: their friendship. These two were pals from the very beginning of their lives, and their strong bond is a wonder to behold. Oscar takes so much pleasure in doing things that Nénu will enjoy watching, like doing multiple mid-air flips while chasing a paper ball. Nénu likes to strut around and show off her lovely long, lean body, with Oscar as her adoring audience. And of course they both want Bob and me to be involved in everything they're doing.

And finally (finally!) I'm not having to give them multiple medications twice a day. Their nasal congestion is ongoing, but it's much better than it was, and for that they get just one tiny quarter of a pill twice a week. They do have to stay on the anti-fungal medication, but just one daily med is a piece of cake to give: I just squirt it in, get them to swallow by stroking their neck, and it's over. Multiple meds is a whole 'nother story, because they squirm and fight to get free, and scratch up my hands and arms. They may only weigh six pounds, but they're so strong, they can overpower me! And as you might imagine, I've gotten royally sick of being the bad guy who picks 'em up and subjects them to all these nasty-tasting substances.

Operation Ringworm is sort of stalled, due to Bob getting depressed over his mom's dementia and her upcoming move to a treatment facility. Not to mention my own tendency to dip into low numbers on the mood scale, during which I am absolutely useless. But it will get done, slowly...

I'm drifting downward toward -1 as I've been writing this posting, so I have to stop doing this and figure out how to elevate my mood. Some rock-n-roll would be helpful, I think...
Fiona W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 08:11 AM   #47  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Hello!

to lira! I hope you visit often, it does help to know others are listening. I am sorry you were feeling down that day, are you better now? I know about staying in bed all day..sometimes that's all I want to do..but thank goodness it is not often. Falling into the habit of comparing your life to others just doesn't accomplish anything, I find. Somehow you have to focus on what you HAVE We can try to help you attack your Christmas meal plan into manageable tasks, maybe!

Fi, very great that you don't have to give the kittens multiple medicines daily, nice for them and you!

Kathleen, I am glad that you are going to go for the program! You have thought it through and through and it is not a flight of the moment fancy. Best wishes!!!!

Lisa, oh heck girl you cannot catch a break!! so sorry about the bronchitis. That totally saps your energy doesn't it. Hope the antibiotics kick in soon!

Hi to all whom we have not seen in a while!

sorry I never got the pic of the pretty snow, oh well. It made winter bearable for about 2 days now it's just heaps of snow, and NO sun for almost 2 weeks. We fight that by having so many lights inside, I don't care what the electric bill is, lol.

I have been eating too many sweets, as I always do this time of year. I can't help it, I make incredibly delicious and beautiful cookies and I have to

Today I am going to deliver dozens of those beautiful cookies to; my hair salon; my mechanic; our bank; and my summer co-workers. I won't be mean and detail all the varieties unless you really want to hear

My husband and I agreed that we are fine with not opening any presents from each other; I really don't need anything, and I have things I splurged on last year that I'm still enjoying. I look back at Christmases past, and am so glad for simple things, like a warm house, being able to pay bills, a car that is in good condition and I enjoy, etc.

Oh I did splurge on a pair of boots that should be coming any day; wide calf because I have huge legs and have never had real tall boots. I read the online reviews and I am cautiously optimistic, I hope Im not disappointed if they don't fit.

have a good day!
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 03:33 PM   #48  
I can do it!!!

S/C/G: 223/165/145

Height: 5'4"

Unhappy Feeling awful!

Well, my daughter is sick again and now I am sick, too. We have body aches, chills, nausea (but no getting sick, thank God), congestion, headaches, sinus pressure, and sore throats. I took her back to doctor for 4th time yesterday and they put her on Prednisone to try to shrink her swollen mucus membranes. They will use Augmentin if needed, but want to avoid another antibiotic if possible (she has been on 3 different ones already). This is the pits!!! I just hope we feel better for Christmas! We have relatives coming into town (but not staying with us).

Hope the rest of you are doing well!
IBelieveInMe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 10:28 AM   #49  
I can do it!!!

Default Update

Thankfully, my daughter felt better this morning and went to school. Last day before Christmas break. Unfortunately, she will have to study a lot over break and take her semester finals in January. I am just happy that she feels better! I, on the other hand, still feel sick as a dog!!! Hopefully whatever I have won't last as long as she was sick (about 3 weeks). I did manage to get all of my Christmas cards finished yesterday and began wrapping presents, so that's good.

Lisa: How is your bronchitis? I hope the antibiotics have kicked in and you are feeling better by the time you read this!!! Is Jennifer taking good care of you?

Holly: You must be a wonderful baker!!! Sounds scrumptious!!! How can you NOT sample your wonderful finished products? My husband and I are not exchanging Christmas gifts either. Too much else to think about and neither of us really need anything. It alleviates some of the stress. We also have an anniversary at the end of January anyway. Did you receive your new boots yet and do they fit?!? It is always fun to splurge on yourself a little!!!

Fi: I know what you mean about maintaining an even keel is hard work. It is difficult to predict my moods and how much energy I will have on any given day, so it makes it hard to plan things. Those that have never had depression don't seem to understand this. The simplest thing can throw me off kilter. I do feel like I've come a very long way from where I was when I was deep in the midst of depression, but I still feel very fragile, too. It is really an uneasy feeling. I love your "full court press" strategy! I am so glad that your precious Oscar and Nenu are a reliable source of good feelings for you! Their bond is very evident in the photos you've shared. Happy that they are feeling better (though not 100%) and that they require less medication now. That must be a relief! Wishing you continued 0/0/0 days!

Waving hello to everyone else! Where did you all go???
Old 12-19-2014, 12:03 PM   #50  
rockin' my 60s!

Just a quick note to say I'm a bit weary, what with helping my great-niece Grace make collages for Christmas presents. Her father is not at all pleased with my not getting her home 'til after 11 PM on our last Friday, though, so our time has been cut back from her having no curfew at all, to her father now saying she has to be home at 9 PM. =sigh= That really seems unfair to Grace and me, since the whole point of having our day together be Friday is that she doesn't have school the next day. I don't feel I should intervene on that subject, though, because it's an issue best resolved between Grace and her dad. Maybe we can meet on Monday next week during the day, since she will be on Christmas vacation.

At any rate, that's the only negative news I have to report, because I'm having a string of 0/0/0 days. Yay!! Have a great weekend y'all, and good luck with staying away from the candy and cookies. I'm rooting for you, for all of us! The next time I write, I should have a festive seasonal collage to show y'all.
Old 12-20-2014, 02:13 PM   #51  
Turning Into A New Woman

S/C/G: 302/See Tracker/250

Height: 5'2 & 1/2

Can I join you guys and gals?

I've been depressed since 03, My depression comes and goes but here recently I've become more depressed over my weight. It happened when I hit 293 again that has came and went but I'm still depressed. I know I should be happy that I got to 281 from 310 at one point but I just cant get away from my weight gained depression. Does anyone feel the same way?
Terra1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 05:04 PM   #52  
rockin' my 60s!

Welcome, Terra, to the Ups & Downs support group!

I'm doing fine, just having spent many happy hours finishing my Yule collage, titled "it's impossible to overdecorate a yule tree". Half of it I did yesterday, before and during my weekly get-together with Grace. The other half I did today. Be sure to read what's underneath, then click on the image for a larger version.

Best wishes to everyone!

Last edited by Fiona W; 12-21-2014 at 04:56 PM.
Old 12-20-2014, 05:56 PM   #53  
I can do it!!!

Smile Welcome!

Terra1984: to the group!!! I think you posted a little while ago and then we never heard back from you. Hope you are here to stay this time! The biggest source of my depression at this point in my life is my weight. So I can definitely relate to what you are saying! I gained much of my weight from Bipolar Depression meds years ago, which made me more depressed and then I ate to comfort myself and gained more weight. It became a vicious cycle. I was also recently diagnosed as being hypothyroid and insulin resistant, and both conditions make it more difficult to lose weight. I finally weaned completely off my antipsychotic med (under my psychiatrist's care; still on anti-depressant and anti-anxiety meds) and I am taking new meds for thyroid and insulin resistance. Hopefully, I will finally be able to shed some of this weight very soon! I am working hard on facing my emotional eating and the issues/feelings behind it, so that I can also heal my relationship with food. I am NOT giving up on myself!!! I hope you will continue to post and let us support you on your journey to a healthier YOU in 2015! Best of luck to you!
Old 12-20-2014, 06:56 PM   #54  
on a journey

Hi all,

I am much better but i'm not sure I'm totally healed yet. I have an appt with a nurse practitioner on Tuesday. I took my last antibiotic today so we'll see.

Fi, I am sorry you are struggling some days. I couldn't get your collage to load but then my internet is crappy, at times. I love being creative, isn't it wonderful? I get it through my crochet and scrapbooking.

Kathleen, you worry about me so. I am ok so please don't worry. Jennifer is looking after me, we take care of each other pretty well.

Holly, I am really ok. You're right, I have had a rough year but I am still lucky. I have lots of love in my life, including you all here. Hopefully, 2015 is the year I overcome my anxiety and get my financial affairs in order. I'd also like to make some progress on my weight next year, as well, but I am still so happy with my life and personal self. I am strong and don't need my body to define me. I am beauty personified. I will say, I would like to start wearing makeup more so that my beauty shines. I look quite lovely with it on.

I need to figure out what I am doing about school. I owe DeVry over $2000 and I won't be able to go back Spring quarter if I haven't gotten a big chunk of it paid off.

2014 was not the year for animals in our household. We lost 2 and almost lost 3. We didn't lose one of our kitties, Leo Bug. So far, he is ok, after coming close to death. We did lose our dog, beloved Mocha, in Feb and Monster kitty just a few weeks back.

If you could come up with 5 words to describe 2014, what would they be?

Mine would be: hardship, God, love, family, friendship.

I love you all so much. Thanks for being here for me and Terra, welcome back.

Much love.

Last edited by Lisa_C; 12-20-2014 at 07:11 PM.
Lisa_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 04:48 PM   #55  
rockin' my 60s!

Well, I've enjoyed my vacation from giving the kittens multiple meds, but it isn't working out so well for them. They're sneezing and coughing a lot, and I'm starting to think they really need the antihistamine and the antibiotic. =sad face= What a bummer...

Meanwhile, Bob and his sister are on their third day of moving my poor demented mom-in-law to her "memory care" facility. Yesterday his mom had a big meltdown with feeling frightened and confused, and not feeling that her diabetes meds are being given to her on the right schedule so she can go to meals on time. My great-niece Grace and her father witnessed the meltdown, since they were there to help move furniture. It's taking some time to get the bugs worked out. And my mom-in-law's phone isn't hooked up yet—the phone company doesn't hook up new accounts on the weekend—which is a big deal since she relies so much on talking to Bob and especially his sister. I don't know how long Bob's going to be working on that project tonight, so our Yule plans, minimal as they are, seem to be pushed to tomorrow or the next day.

I want to just curl up on the couch and let myself slide into a -1 mood state, but I know I need to be doing things like taking a shower and going grocery shopping. And doing my Qigong exercises more often. My right arm is giving me some trouble with old myofasciitis symptoms, so the exercises aren't easy to do. The only useful things I've done in the past couple of days have been making that Yule tree collage and rereading Ursula LeGuin's Earthsea trilogy, which I gave to Grace as a gentle start on her reading more adult books. Grace and I are supposed to be getting together tomorrow (Monday) to work on collages she's giving as presents to people, but she hasn't emailed me back about whether that's going to be possible. At least she has until the 7th of January to finish her gifts, because that's when her Russian Orthodox Christmas takes place. It's always like this every year, with multiple dates for Yule /Christmas to juggle.

And I don't have the slightest idea about what I'm going to wear to the oyster stew party Grace's mother is hosting at her house on the 24th. I'm anxious about going into my closet to see what dresses or other semi-dressy outfits I fit into, since I've been off plan for such a long time. =sigh=

Darn, now I really need to stop writing this posting and move my butt. The Coop closes at six on Sundays. Sorry I'm not doing personals, but please know, y'all, that I'm reading your postings and rooting for you to stay on plan.

Last edited by Fiona W; 12-21-2014 at 04:52 PM.
Old 12-21-2014, 08:31 PM   #56  
I can do it!!!

Unhappy Still feel miserable!

Well, I have nothing new to report. I have been lying around the house like a big lump since Wednesday. In addition to cold symptoms, including a nasty cough, I have a terrible headache from coughing so much. I missed going to the Columbus Blue Jackets game with my family last night and they are currently at my family Christmas celebration..... without me. I am so bummed to miss out on fun and important events, but I just don't feel up to going and don't want to get others sick. I have just had to eat whatever sounds good, too, so my diet has not been good. Mostly only carbs sound good. I think my family is bringing me my favorite pizza home for dinner any minute now! That will be a treat!!! (Hubby wanted to surprise me, but I called my daughter when he wouldn't return my messages and she let it slip.) I am super bored and checking in often, so please post whenever any of you can. I will be here reading and listening!

Hope everyone is taking some time during this busy season to just stop and soak in life and remember to nurture yourselves, too! I have been forced to do this since I'm sick. Maybe God is trying to tell me something!!! I can't wait to feel better and just hope and pray it happens before Christmas day! I really want to celebrate THAT day with family! Oh, I hear car doors..... here comes my pizza!!!!!
Old 12-22-2014, 07:27 AM   #57  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

to Terra1984!! yes I remember seeing your avatar before, please do jump in and join us. Post a little or post a lot we are here for you .

Kathleen, I am so sorry you are so sick and miserable!! especially this week! what a crummy time to be sick, that you've missed fun stuff. Hope so much you are better today, maybe the worst is over! I hope the pizza was delish!

Lisa, you are sooo optimistic it is inspiring! at recognizing the good things in your life. If I were to think of the 5 things of 2015, my one track mind would say Motorcycles, Nature, Friends, The Good Summer Job, Health. I think I went over 5 words, LOL. Yes you should wear makeup if it makes you feel good!

Fi, that collage was so pretty! and heck YEAH yay for Sun Return!!

My boots STILL haven't come, FedEx is sitting on them for 5 days at a facility that is just 40 miles from here, there has been only ONE bad weather day, come on !! They probably won't fit my stupid big legs anyway .

I am pretty sad, but will get over it, that our younger son and fiance will spend only 5 hours with us Christmas Eve. The rest of the time is with her family. It just makes me boil that her family sees them 365 days a year and we get them for 5 hours on CHristmas eve. I will get over this , but it was like a kick in the lady nards when I got the email. I am trying to be thankful for any time at all , and trying to think of a ton of other things I am thankful for, but it is just not fair. And again it is like our son is more THEIR son now, that he and the fiance live in the apartment of her parent's house. They did spend alot of time with us last year on Christmas Eve, like from mid afternoon to midnight, which I was SO happy about, so maybe I have to think of that.

Well it is starting to be crazy busy at work, whether I work in the deli or at the cash register, so far no real jerks yet there was a very needy, regal-acting older lady in sunglasses and a huge 3/4 length white fur coat the other day that I had to help her with EVERYTHING, what do these people do in a supermarket when there isn't a personal helper like me?

I have pared down my CHristmas cookie giving list over the years, I got irritated that year after year, I would give cookies to people, and then they would start expecting them, and they would not reciprocate with anything. I am teaching them a lesson about giving

Last edited by VermontMom; 12-22-2014 at 07:32 AM.
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 11:30 AM   #58  
Turning Into A New Woman

S/C/G: 302/See Tracker/250

Height: 5'2 & 1/2

Fiona,IBelieveInMe2 & VermontMom ~ Thanks for the welcome. I forgot that I had post in this thread before. I am here to stay this time.
Terra1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 01:23 PM   #59  
rockin' my 60s!

Lisa— Thanks for asking about our five words for 2014: it's a chance to remember what to be grateful for, instead of dwelling on my annual Christmas slump. My five words would be: kittens, collage, decluttering, my great niece Grace, and Qigong.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:32 PM   #60  
on a journey

Hello ladies,

Jennifer and I are watching a movie, X-Men 2. We've only seen it a million times.

I'm still a bit under the weather but I have a Dr's appt tomorrow.

Holly, it was hard to be positive after this year but I still have my daughter and my pets. My mother is still alive and I have my best friend. I have a job I enjoy, a house and a car. I have many, many things to be grateful for.

Kathleen, I am so sorry you are ill. *hug* Get better soon. I understand what you mean about not wanting to spend christmas with family. I don't get along with my brother. He hates me, won't even acknowledge I am in the room so I understand.

Have a great day, friends. Much love to all.

Last edited by Lisa_C; 12-22-2014 at 01:32 PM.
Lisa_C is offline   Reply With Quote