Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 02-28-2011, 09:49 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 256/155/140

Height: 5'5

Question Zoloft

Hi Everyone

I was put on both Zoloft and Ativan today because I've been suffering from depression and having horrible anxiety attacks. 4 years ago I suffered Post Partum Depression and Zoloft was a true miracle but after taking it for a couple years, I decided I didn't want to take medication anymore because I thought I could control the depression and anxiety on my own.

Last night I had the worst anxiety attack I've ever had in my life and it was accompanied by horrible thoughts. I knew something was wrong and made an appointment first thing this morning. My only worry is that I'm going to gain weight or I'm going to start having a difficult time losing. I've lost almost 100lbs and I don't want this medication to make me feel discouraged.

Does anyone here take Zoloft and have you had a hard time losing or experienced a gain?
KimberlyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:48 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 266/216/166

Height: 5' 1"

I was switched to Zoloft about a month ago! I quite like it, actually. I was on prozac before and that really just twirked me up. But zoloft, for me, I like it a lot. I haven't seen any problems medication related to my weight, personally.
bunnythesAINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:01 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 168 / 168 / 130

Height: 5.6

My sister took it for a number of years and it played with her metabolism so much that her thyroid is now altered and it has been very hard to lose weight.

She is now seeing a homopathic doctor for her depression and has been so happy with the results
SweetyKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:13 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 243/199.4/190

Height: 5'8"

I was put on zoloft and klonopin a couple of months ago. I was terrified I would gain weight after all of the nightmares i had read on-line. But I haven't had any issues at all. I lost 13 lbs in the first month with no exercise (trying to change that horrible habit)....AND my anxiety eating is definitely under control.
wesley587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 06:01 AM   #5  

S/C/G: HW211(MRC-SW193.6)/182/130

Height: 5'0"

I was on Zoloft and Ativan for a couple of years, and while I didn't lose much weight (I wasn't making a true effort to), I didn't gain any either. Ativan was a miracle for me. Just remember, you don't have to take a whole pill (or whatever you've been prescribed) every day. Think of that as the max you will take. Only take as much as you need. Ativan is addictive and you can easily get to a point where you'll have a panic attack if you don't take it. Taking a 1/4 pill whenever I felt that panic set in worked really well for me.

Another thing that really helps is meditation, yoga and/or breathing exercises. Practicing these things when you're not in the middle of an anxiety/panic attack will make it easier for you to relax when you are in the middle of a panic attack.

Hope you feel better!
mandiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:31 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 225??/225??/170

Height: 5'6

definitely please take your medication as prescribed. in order to be healthy and happy (and lose weight), you need to get the anxiety under control.

i was put on lexapro years ago for anxiety, and it changed my life!!

it has had no affect on my weight - any weight gain and loss has been all me. hope you feel better, i totally understand how anxiety can seemingly take over your life. <3
finny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:23 AM   #7  

Thanks so much for all of your replies!!

I just can't believe I'm going through this again and the attack I had Sunday night was the worst I've ever experienced. Thankfully my husband stayed up with me until I fell asleep and took the day off work so he could stay home with me. 4 years ago I suffered from severe Post Partum Depression and was put on Zoloft, Ativan, and Trazodone to help me sleep. That particular combination saved my life, literally but after a while I wanted to try and control it on my own so I weaned myself off of everything. For 4 years I've managed to control the anxiety using breathing tecnhiques but they are not working anymore.

Along with depression and anxiety, I was also diagnosed with having OCD because I obsess over the thought of death (I know it's weird but it is the reason for my anxiety attacks). A friend of mine took her life 2 weeks ago, she was 24, and had a 5 year old son. I think this was the trigger that set me off 2 nights ago.

I think I'm going to try the Yoga classes offered at my gym. I was always a little intimidated to try it because I never thought I could do the poses but it's worth a shot. At this point I'm willing to try anything if it will help.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:27 AM   #8  

I forgot to add that I think the depression and anxiety started again because I've been extremely overwhelmed lately. I'm a Paramedic Student, have 3 kiddos who play a LOT of sports so I'm always running, I have a house and bills to take care of and try to make it to the gym at least 5 days a week. I have a ton of homework that's due next Monday and I haven't had time to start it and I'm worried I won't finish it in time. My husband works a lot and helps when he gets home but he doesn't have half of the stress and responsibilities that I do. All of this has been building up and I'm lucky I didn't have a nervous breakdown!

Last edited by KimberlyP; 03-01-2011 at 10:28 AM.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:33 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandiana View Post
I was on Zoloft and Ativan for a couple of years, and while I didn't lose much weight (I wasn't making a true effort to), I didn't gain any either. Ativan was a miracle for me. Just remember, you don't have to take a whole pill (or whatever you've been prescribed) every day. Think of that as the max you will take. Only take as much as you need. Ativan is addictive and you can easily get to a point where you'll have a panic attack if you don't take it. Taking a 1/4 pill whenever I felt that panic set in worked really well for me.

Another thing that really helps is meditation, yoga and/or breathing exercises. Practicing these things when you're not in the middle of an anxiety/panic attack will make it easier for you to relax when you are in the middle of a panic attack.

Hope you feel better!

Thankyou

The doctor told me to take half during the day and a whole one at night. I'm going to take one at night and stick with that because my attacks happen at night when I'm trying to fall asleep.

I'm going to give Yoga a shot! The gym I go to offers a few classes a week. I wanted to try it a while ago but was intimidated because everyone seemed to be doing these super difficult poses that I knew I probably couldn't do.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:45 PM   #10  
trying to impress myself

S/C/G: 296/see ticker!/140

Height: 5'4"

i just wanted to say i'm sorry you're going through all this at once- especially losing your friend. that's really rough.

i'm glad you've called your doc and are taking care of yourself. hope you feel better soon.
fillupthesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:41 PM   #11  

Thankyou so much =D It's been 2 days since I started taking Zoloft and surprisingly I feel a little better. I have no clue how that's even possible since it's takes 5 to 6 weeks for the medication to start working!
Old 03-02-2011, 10:10 PM   #12  

S/C/G: HW211(MRC-SW193.6)/182/130

Height: 5'0"

Yay!
mandiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 04:31 PM   #13  

This morning I had another horrible anxiety attack and was forced to take half an Ativan. I have no clue how I got my kids ready and off to school because I was THAT bad. Thankfully my husband stayed on the phone with me as long as he could. I was shaking so bad the attacks kept coming in waves, one after the other. After I dropped my kids off at school I came home and got right into bed hoping I would fall asleep which I did for over 4 hours. Now I've been feeling groggy and out of it since I woke up, I think it's because of the Ativan.

Regardless of how I feel I'm making an effort to go outside for a run this evening. The fresh air may do some good right now. I really wish I knew why this was happening, I did great for 4 years and now I feel like I'm going insane. Things have been going great up until this point - I received my license to practice as an EMT, I've lost 100lbs, and the bills are paid which is a huge relief. I can't let this OCD take over my life but I can't control the horrible thoughts I have and it scares me, when that happens the attack comes on. I was told that if these thoughts scare me that's a good thing because I would never actually act on them. At this point I think stress is a major factor along with what my friend did which was a trigger. I need to try and gain some control!