Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 03-03-2005, 02:48 PM   #1  

Talking zoloft

is anyone else on zoloft? what are your stories? helped? not helped? what about weight loss?
PyschoNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 03:23 PM   #2  

I have used Zoloft successfully in the past. It helped tremendously with my mood and my general attitude toward life. And I continued to lose weight while I was on it (still eating correctly and exercising, of course). However, it is a bit of a laxative. Also, at the time I was on Zoloft, I did develop a bit of a problem with ((embarassed look here)) gas. I assume it was a side effect of the Zoloft, because I haven't had the problem since I quit using it. If not for that, I wouldn't hesitate to go back on the drug.

Last edited by pegatha1; 03-03-2005 at 03:25 PM.
pegatha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 03:45 PM   #3  

Zoloft has helped my mood immensely! I am happier than I have been in a long time, I"ve been on it almost a year. The only downfall, it made me gain like 50 pounds in that year! Now I am exercising, eating right and still taking Zoloft and am losing weight slowly... just thought I'd share.
billychick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 04:17 PM   #4  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Zoloft made me crazy, I'll never go near that stuff again. Sorry!
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 04:26 PM   #5  
prepare for the BEST time

I did not have a positive reaction to Zoloft either, I tried it for over 6 mos.....but I did develop a true PASSION for Hagen Daaz, Ben & jerry, Dove Bars......

I swear it gave me symptoms of MENOPAUSE.....nightsweats, daysweats, hot flashes, I would turn my AC down to 63 degrees and put a floor fan in front of my dressing area to get my pantyhose on! when I couldn't sleep, I 'd EAT.

when I realized I gained 8 lbs. in one week, i told my docs. I just couldn't take it (yawannaget DEPRESSED, just step on the SCALE!)...I took a week off from work when i was weaning off.....just in case I got the facial paralysis.

However, I elieve that everyone's body is different and reacts differently, some people have great success....

I was also not successful with Welbutrin.....what works for me is facing my realities (however ugly they are) and remembering my priorities, exercising, sleeping and at night I do flex. stretches to relieve tension, take a hot bath and turn off the phone.
marbleflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 04:54 PM   #6  

I'm not a doctor, so take this and my post above with a grain of salt.

Even though I lost weight on Zoloft, I've heard from a lot of people who say the opposite. One of my depressive symptoms is binge eating, so by lifting the depression, Zoloft helped me control the binging. However, a lot of depression sufferers have no appetite while they're depressed, so if the Zoloft restores appetite, then it makes sense those patients would gain instead of lose. So I'm wondering, for those of you who gained on Zoloft, did you tend not to have any appetite when you were depressed? Or do you feel like the Zoloft just messed with your metabolism somehow?

I hope I don't come across like I'm challenging anyone else's experience. I know that we're all individuals who respond differently to the same medicine. I was just honestly curious, and I'm wondering if my own experience with Zoloft was typical or unusual.
pegatha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 05:44 PM   #7  
krazy binging insomiac

i'm currently on zoloft and it has been wonderful. in the past i've tried prozac, anti=triptaline, effexor and some other one i can't remember the name of. the rest of them made me feel like an atamoton. zoloft is helping although i'm not sure i'm at the right dosage yet (i've only been on them for about 7 months). I haven't had any problems with my weight loss on zoloft. all the others made me gain weight but zoloft seems to be working for me. the only side effects i had was when i went off them cold turkey cause i couldnt' afford to buy them for a while. that was rough. i don't recommend that.
nefarious_wytch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 06:18 PM   #8  

I must say I was on Zoloft for a long time and I must say it DID NOT help me in my weight loss.It for me clouded my problem with weight and I lost my motivation on it.
I have been off Zoloft for 14months and never felt better.
And this time around on my journey of losing weight I have lost 25 kilos and to be honest if I was on Zoloft I would be wider still!!
Sorry but it didn't work for me but it might work for you!!!
Good luck and let me no if it works for you!!!
aussiegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 05:05 AM   #9  

I tried Zoloft last summer and while it did help w/my ED, it ruined the rest of my life. I became totally apathetic. I had zero motivation to do anything. For the first EXTENDEd time in my life, I had zero desire to go anywhere or do anything.

I won't take it again.
ToniMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 05:40 PM   #10  

I've been lucky with Zoloft. I started taking it about 5 years ago, and discovered that it eliminated a problem I'd suspected: PMS (clinically, these days, they call it PMDD--PreMenstrual Dysphoric Disorder). What a difference! Psycho-b*tch left, and I was back to being ME.

After a few years, I tried to quit Zoloft. Not only did I have horrid withdrawl problems, but even after overcoming those I had all the old problems, too. So I resumed Zoloft. My dosage is fairly low--75 mg/day.

It's not clear whether Zoloft had anything to do with my weight gain, nor my current efforts to lose weight. If so, I'm not aware of its effects. I gained weight because I threw out all sensible eating rules, and ate whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted. Now, I'm on a plan, and am slowly getting the weight back under control.

Zoloft is the only SSRI I've ever tried, and I've been lucky with it. My father did well on Zoloft when he was dying of lung cancer and was not-surprisingly depressed about it. When he was switched briefly to Wellbutrin it caused unbelievable problems, including visual hallucinations (like spots) and tremendous confusion. So I switched him back to Zoloft (I say "I switched him" because his oncologist refused to believe the problems with Wellbutrin, and I knew better than that idiot on this one issue. I had access to enough Zoloft that I could make the change myself. The oncologist later acquiesced, without a fight).

I have a friend who swears that NONE of the SSRI's worked for him except Effexor.

It really does seem to be a person-by-person kind of experience.
NewsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 11:27 PM   #11  

wow thank you all for all of your input. I appreciate everyone taking the time to post.
I just was bumped up to 50mg and I still feel depressed. I have always been a lil depressed in my life, but for the past six months, I have been soooo bad. I call it depression as it is a hopeless feeling, but also I feel very anxious and have a doomed feeling. I have a knot in my stomach and I have no energy. suprisingly I have eaten well and gained though all of this. I have crying jags over nothing. My daughters bf broke up with her and she is devasted and although I know I should feel bad. I am mourning it with her as if it is happening to me. I am crying, quite hysterial at times becaue she feels so bad. I know that my reaction isn't normal.
I've had two major cancer scares in less then 6 months time. Have had surgery and my mother had a stroke. My marriage isn't the best and I feel my world falling down on top of me.
I have lost since taking the zoloft.. which is only a month now. But I have been exercising and eating right.
Thank you all again for your in put...
PyschoNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 11:29 PM   #12  
Divine Gal

I am going to be starting Zoloft tomorrow while weening myself off of Wellbutrin and paxil.
lynnie24 is offline   Reply With Quote