Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 03-20-2008, 03:44 PM   #16  
I was born this way hey!

S/C/G: Not telling/Shh/150

Height: 5'3

Hey..I put up my bio awhile ago, but I wasnt very active in the group, sorry. But heres a short intro. I'm Francie, and I'm 22 (soon to be 23 April 29). I'm a Navy wife. My dh has been in the Navy for almost 5 years. We're stationed in WA State, and awaiting new orders. We've been married for 3 years (together for 5) and no kids yet, but hoping, lol.

2006 was a bad year. Dh was gone on a lot of workups. But it got worse the week of my birthday. I went to San Diego to visit dh, and then the following week I went to Az to visit my mom. Like, the 2nd day I was there my mom started to feel sick..and she just kept getting worse. Then on April 27th, she went to the ER and was admitted into the ICU. The docs told us that she was gonna die and we all started freaking out, of course. Dh came to Az on emergancy leave. And I ended up celebrating my 21st birthday with everyone except my mom. She was hooked up to a bunch of machines, but she knew it was my birthday. I think that had to be the worst bday of my life. I was pretty much living out of a suitcase the whole month of May. I kept coming home every 2 weeks to feed my cats. It was pretty stressful. Then on May 28, my mom passed away. I've never been so numb in my life. I hated everyone around me, even my own husband. My family totally effed up her funeral. Then they made me sell my mom's house asap to pay for the funeral (my uncle paid for the funeral, so i had to pay him back when my house sold). A month later on June 28, my aunt (my mom's older sister and my godmother) passed away. It was pretty hard knowing both of them were gone. Umm..After everything that happened and I was finally able to come back to WA, things just fell apart. I started having panic attacks every day, and crying non stop, couldnt get out of bed. Nothing felt real. Dh was away a lot on workups. I finally went on Zoloft in Dec. 06. But then in Jan 07, dh deployed for 7 months. And things got even more worse. I was super super close to my mom (like Gilmore Girls close), so I had nobody to talk to anymore. It sucked being alone. Zoloft made my depression worse...and yet my doc still kept putting me on higher doses. By the time I was on Xanax, I decided I had enough. I started to pull myself out of my funk. I cleaned up the house and was waiting for dh to come home from deployment. We had fun the 2 days he was in WA. But when we went to Az for a visit, things turned bad again. After that trip..well, I had a falling out with my family. We do not speak anymore. I think that whole thing just added to my depression. I finally decided last month on dh's birthday (!!) that I would go back on anti depressants. It took reading "My Sister's Keeper" to realize just how much my mom's passing effected me. Dh even agreed with me, which was another wake up call to me. But ya..I'm on Prozac now, and its wonderful so far. I feel like my old self again. I even lost 4 pounds while on it, which makes a total weight loss of 9 pounds. Dh is going out on a workup soon, and I'm really sad about that. So we'll see how this works out, lol.

Wow..sorry for that being so long...LOL!! I didnt mean to sound like such a downer, I just needed to get that out. It helps me talk about it sometimes.
Shopaholic1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 06:06 PM   #17  
Starting Again

S/C/G: 202/163/120

Height: 5'1"

Shop

Thank you for sharing. Losing a parent is devasting. So sorry. I lost my dad 5yrs ago at the age of 52. He was way too young. There's no real way to get over it, but I'm at a place where I just feel so grateful to have had 'him' as a father, even though he should still be here. I hope you can make some peace with it and remember how awesome she was. Anybody could have been your mom, but you were lucky enough to get her! Medication definitely helps too.

At least when your hubby is gone this time, you can come here to chat daily to help pass the time. It's been a real help to me while I've been umemployed this past year.
hope4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 06:22 PM   #18  
I was born this way hey!

Hope~Thanks!! My mom was 52 when she died, so was young too. I do feel very grateful to have has her as my mom. I say that often. Dh even says he felt like my mom was more of a mom to him than his real mother. I do remember the good times. But its hard when I remember everything that happened in 2006...

I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone here!!

Last edited by Shopaholic1204; 03-20-2008 at 06:23 PM.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:19 PM   #19  
Heather 2.0

S/C/G: 290/281/139

Height: 5'8"

Still around, ladies - to our new members!

Honestly not sure if things are looking up or not... watch this space.

Leenie - are you feeling better? Ladies, I'm not ignoring you each, just exhausted. Chat soon.
HeatherAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 07:27 PM   #20  

Height: 5' 5"

Shopaholic, I am so glad you shared your story. I cried reading it.

I hope you will find support from this board while your husband is away. (dh--is that devoted husband??)

Thanks for your honesty. And continue to share.
jerzygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 12:08 AM   #21  
I was born this way hey!

Jerzygirl, I didnt mean to make you cry I think Dh stands for Darling Husband...
Old 03-21-2008, 01:11 AM   #22  

Height: 5' 5"

Crying is good for me! I am rarely that close to my emotions.

DH...I like it!
jerzygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 02:28 AM   #23  
I was born this way hey!

I wish I was like that. I'm too in touch with my emotions. I'm totally emo.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:03 AM   #24  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Hi Ladies,

Francie & Jerzygal

Liz Happy Birthday !!!!

Heather

Sorry I haven't been around, been seriously sick. Dizzy nautious and I think I'm heading to the doc today b/c my frequent trips to the bathroom have returned ugggh... I dragged myself to work all week and quite frankly don't know how I did it. I'm gonna call the doc and get an appt today...maybe some blood work. I have no strength I tell ya lol... ok enuf about me.

Have a wonderful Good Friday.

Last edited by Leenie; 03-21-2008 at 08:03 AM.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 09:08 AM   #25  
I was born this way hey!

Just stopping by to say Hey to everyone!! Hope everyone has a good day. I'm actually going back to bed because dh's alarm scared the crap out of me at 4:15am, lol.

I'll be back laters!!!
Old 03-21-2008, 12:17 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 195/190/135

Height: 5' 4.5"

Default My 2006 Story

Hi Shop, thanks for sharing your story. I wanted to share mine, but wasn't sure if this was the right spot or not. 2006 started off with me deciding it was time to deal with my childhood garbage. My mother committed suicide when I was 6 yrs old and I was raised by my father who was very controlling and a perfectionist. I have my theories on why he was the way he was- but it doesn't change the fact that I was controlled, abused (emotionally and physically) and not allowed to express emotions or feelings. I learned to read my environment and make myself whatever he expected at the time (walking on eggshells). I moved out at 18 and then developed a "new" relationship with my dad that was enjoyable. But, the results of my childhood was that I was an emotional stuffer and aware that I was numb when it came to emotional stuff but with no idea how to "feel" anything. The 2006 highlights that followed were;
  • Feb-My Dad was given 6-9mo to live (I went into shock)
  • Apr- Husband confessed he didn't love me when he married me (not to be mean, just trying to be honest)
  • May- Dad died, funeral, trip to spread his ashes
  • Jun-Jul- battled depression that worsened, husband withdrew, very dark times
  • Aug- came to realization that I was depressed and confessed to husband and sought help with meds.
  • Sep-Big blow out with husband on 13th wedding anniversary- then discovered an affair online in his myspace (no physical meeting, Thank God!)

I am still trying to figure out how to process the grief (of both dad and mom), but marriage is more awesome than I could ever have dreamed. The health of my most intimate relationship helps my depression alot. I also notice an extreme difference in my mood balance when eating right and drinking enough water.

Thanks for letting me share
beautypursuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 02:20 PM   #27  
Just keep moving ...

S/C/G: 241/238/140

Height: Just short enough (aka 5'4")

Morning all!

Francie - OK, so you REALLY had a rough 2006. I am so glad you are climbing out of the depression, and that you found us here! I'm a total emo, too. I cry at the drop of a hat (or even thinking about a hat dropping!) and fly off the handle with even less provocation. My prozac has helped with that, but I really need to work through why it happens at all.

Beauty - I have found that food and hydration play a huge role in my mood stabilization. In fact, I have a very good friend who is an herbologist: she has been very supportive of my use of anti-depressants, but has been educating me on ways to manage mood naturally so that someday I can maybe do it without the meds...

I FINALLY got sleep last night. Oh my goodness. I have been doing 2-3 hours at best lately, so I finally feel alive again. Took a mineral bath soak, gave my face a nice moisture massage and headed to bed early with a lavender aroma pillow. Ahhhhh....

Leenie- good to see you. That kinda sick doesn't sound good, I'm glad you decided to go to the doctor - I hope you get better soon!

Take care everyone! Have a good weekend

Last edited by Amarie2pt0; 03-21-2008 at 02:20 PM.
Amarie2pt0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 02:25 PM   #28  

Height: 5'6"

Good Morning Ladies!

I'll try this again, the last start disappeared into the cyber-world! Good thing I had just started!!

A huge to Francie, jerzy and beauty!! Look forward to getting to know you better. This is a great little corner, full of wonderful and understanding people!

Happy Birthday Liz!! Hope you have a wonderful day!

Leenie take care of yourself and I hope the doc has some answers for you an you feel better soon.

hope amarie, heather,cathy, sassy and everyone else!

Well, really nothing new around here. Fairly quiet. The puddle has started at the end of the driveway, so that adventure will start again. Some days I wish we lived in town (most, I'm glad we don't) Hubby is taking today and tomorrow off work so maybe I can get him to do some wall sanding or something. No real plans for the weekend. Did pick up a ham yesterday so have a nice dinner planned for one night. Got some sad news from my step mother yesterday. Their neighbour's 26 year old son was killed in a car accident. Its such a shock, makes me think of how things can change in an instant. He was such a nice guy, even came out to the ceramony when my dad became a Canadian citizen. Such a loss.

Hope everyone has a wonderful Easter weekend.
Take care all,
K
buddly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 03:03 PM   #29  
I was born this way hey!

Beauty~ It sucks having to go through some an emotional time. I'm struggling with grief as well. There was a book I started to read called Motherless Daughters..you should check it out. I need to go back and finish reading it. I wasnt at a good place when I started reading it. Glad your marriage is better. Eating & drinking right can totally help too. I notice a difference in myself as well.

Me_Amarie~Thats an interesting thought..why does it happen at all. I can pretty much know what triggers my panic attacks. But I dont know how to have the thoughts without the panic attack. Its like I dont know how to be sad anymore. Weird!! LoL!! Prozac has been helping a lot though. I'm so thankful I was put on it. I've been having trouble sleeping too. I think it had to do with my tooth pain though. Plus, dh's alarm scared me this morning, lol. I did get a nap in. I hope to sleep better tonight. I hope you sleep better soon!!

Buddly~Oh wow..I hope you dont get flooded (thats the problem, right?) Life is so short, its sad that he died

Anyways, I gotta run right now. I didnt realize I was short on time. I'll be back laters.

to everyone!!!
Old 03-22-2008, 12:52 AM   #30  
~Believe~

S/C/G: XXX/-155/140

Hi Gurls.

Jerzeygirl and Beauty!! A very special to Francie -- hey girl!!! (we know each other from another thread) and BIG I can sympathize with losing a parent, it isn't easy, esp when you are very close. I can also sympathize with not having a relationship with family. I do speak to some, but there are some that I could care less if I ever spoke to again. Yes they are family and I do love them, but it does not mean I have to "like" them. lol. But anyways, glad you joined us.

I am here. lol. Wed. was a night from he--double hockey sticks at work. Lets just say I can now add "office mover" under my title. I had to move not just once, but 3 times!!!! So frustrating and I was SO sore afterwards!! But at least it was my legs that were sore instead of my back, which is a very good thing!

DH & I had our "date" we ate dinner at a nice little Italian restaurant and went shopping because there were no movies that interested us. We had a very good time. I bought some new tops -- did not like their pants -- at all, and what is up with the 70's fashion??? I felt like I was living in the Brady Bunch Era!

The Weather has been great, warm and no rain!!!

DH & I also went grocery shopping while we were out and for the very first time I did not feel "overwhelmed". I felt "free" because for the first time I didn't have to worry about "should I be eating this?" it was a very good feeling and I can see how the way I felt "before" was doing more "damage" than good. And Paul McKenna is right, after a while, things start tasting different and I do eat less!!! My pants I was wearing that night was even loose!!! Doesn't sound like a huge deal I am sure to you all, but it is huge to me. I feel free for once, I like myself for once and I don't put myself down all the time and I stopped feeling sorry for myself and I am taking action instead of sitting around whining about life. I feel FREE! Yes on Wed. night at work I was very very frustrated and yes I did VENT how I felt right then and there, but guess what?? I moved on after!!! I dunno I feel like I am finally being the person I wanna be instead of worry about what others want me to be. I don't care what others want me to be, I only care about what I want me to be. And being a better "ME" strengthens my relationships with people too. At the ones that care about me.

Take Care,

I hope you all are well!!!!

BIG

Last edited by Sassy_Chick; 03-22-2008 at 12:59 AM.
Sassy_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote