Old 11-15-2010, 02:12 AM   #181  

S/C/G: 224/ticker/140

Height: 5' 4"

Last week's morning run went surprisingly well. It took me about 45 minutes to get out of bed (I am so not a morning person) but I was really glad I had. The weather turned absolutely miserable about 30 minutes after we got back ("we" is my roommate and me).

And since our morning run had been so good, we made it a point to go again a couple of days later. After getting back, I found out it had been 20 degrees outside! So now I'm not so scared of the weather, as long as it's not raining. That's the only weather condition I refuse to run in. Unless it's a warm summer rain, but that's not going to happen for many more months.

So tomorrow is another morning run and it should be beautiful as always. Except I think it's supposed to snow. At least we'll be out there early enough that it'll be too cold to rain, so we're good.

And we're up to W4D1 of C210K (3' jog 2' walk times 6). Our last run was also that and our running pace improved by 30 seconds over the 2' jog 2' walk from the previous week. That is absolutely astounding to me, especially since our fastest runs were uphill. Weird, but I'll take it.
augeremt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 08:22 AM   #182  

S/C/G: 224/ticker/150

Height: 5'7"

Hey all! Thank you for all of your kind comments about finishing C25K It still feels really good! I think I had a bit of a double reward last week, because I finished C25K on the Monday, and the on Saturday, I weighed in and found that I now have a "normal" BMI

So, I decided to take a couple of weeks off running after finishing the programme, because I know my knee isn't feeling "right", and it seems senseless to push it and make a minor injury a more serious one. My friend had a recent knee injury (from running) and was told that her injury could take up to six weeks to heal - so I'm mindful that I should give mine a rest for a little while! My knee hasn't been feeling "normal" for a while (ever sicne getting some pain in Week 6 and having to take a week's break). For instance, I can no longer "lock" my right knee back when standing up, but I can do this with my left knee, which is fine... it just feels as though it's swollen and there's something there restricting the movement of it. Other than that, it's okay, but because I know it's just "not right", I don't want to push my luck. I definitely intend to keep running, but I'd sooner have a little setback in my running for a few weeks that I can catch up with, and not have really damaged knees in the long run The other thing is that when I was first breaking in my new running shoes, I stupidly wore really thin socks, and got a blister which still hasn't gone properly! So I want that to heel up, so I don't keep having to tape padding over it when I run

It sounds like we're all having lots of injuries and setbacks recently... it's annoying isn't it?! Particuarly when you have such good intentions!

It's great to check in and read about everyone's progress! It sounds like those of you who are not injured and still running are making really great ground with the programme
tinycities is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 01:00 PM   #183  
Do or Do Not

S/C/G: 302/267/135

Height: 5'5

I'm starting W2D1 today! I'm pumped
CutieCourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 03:03 PM   #184  

The morning's run didn't happen. I didn't fall asleep until 3 or 4 in the morning, so getting up at 7 wasn't going to work for me. So we're running in the evening. Hopefully I get off work early enough so that it's still light outside. But if not, there are always headlamps. There is no way we can afford to miss any more runs.

SlimCB - Great to hear you're starting to enjoy running! It's a pretty awesome feeling.

pinksparkle - Now that you've finished C25K, do you have another plan you're following? Or are you just running for running's sake? And major kudos to you for finishing!

Marniadec - How did you feel running W8D2 on the treadmill? And how are you feeling post-treadmill run? Hopefully the recovery time isn't too long so you can keep moving through the program. You're so close to finishing! Keep it up

CutieCourt - Are your shin splints "healed"? I'm worried I may be developing them and was wondering how you knew you had shin splints and how long you waited to start running again. I'm not at the point where it hurts to run, but I figure since I'm overweight and haven't run this much in a while, it's only a matter of time something like this will catch up with me.

tinycities - It sounds like you may have a meniscus tear in your knee. I'm no doctor so take this with a grain of salt, but I had that same injury a few years ago and apparently it's pretty common for runners (albeit mine was from a violent hit to the knee in rugby and not from running, but my running friends are always talking about worrying about getting this kind of injury).

Anyways, not having full range of motion and feeling as if something is restricting movement are two of the most common symptoms. And most meniscus tears don't heal on their own. It depends on the location of the tear. I had two and one healed on its own and the other one had to be surgically fixed. Luckily it was arthroscopic surgery and not too invasive, so I was back on my feet a couple days later and back to playing rugby not long after that.

I'm not trying to freak you out, but if it doesn't get better relatively soon, you should probably see a doctor.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:24 PM   #185  

S/C/G: 198.4/145/145

augermt - I've mostly been doing 30-45 min runs just to run. I think next week I'll redo one of the earlier weeks at a faster speed. I'd really like to increase my speed.
pink sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 02:46 PM   #186  
Do or Do Not

Augeremt: Shin splints are no joke. Whenever I would push on the front of my leg it was very painful and sore. it felt like I had pulled something and it hurt to put weight on it. I usually take the stairs at work and it was so painful I had to use the elevator. There is a doctor onsite at my job and I went and saw him. He took me off of all physical activity for 2 weeks or until there was no pain whatsoever and he gave me an anti-inflammatory. If you keep running on them they will not go away and you could risk injury. I was instructed to put icy hot on it for pain and ice it in the afternoons. I stayed off of it for exactly 2 weeks.

The doctor gave me a list of stretches to do before my jogs and since I have really taken the time to stretch beforehand I haven't experienced any splints. I honestly stretch for about 7-8 min before doing c25k. It seems like overkill but I'm not in pain anymore I only had the pain in my left leg..it was painful to walk...but it does go away, you just have to give it time..and do not run on it because it will just get worst I didn't notice the pain while I was jogging..it was just when I was walking and then afterwards and the next day.

hopefully this helps!
Old 11-16-2010, 10:01 PM   #187  

CutieCourt - I must've cursed myself by talking about shin splints, because I'm pretty sure I developed some after today's run. Argh! So I immediately went to the running store and got fitted for good running shoes since I'd been putting that off for way too long. Apparently one of the causes of shin splints is overpronation, which is exactly the problem with my left foot (the one that started hurting this morning). So hopefully that helps cure these things.

I've tried searching online but can't find any good stretches. Each site says something different. What kind of stretches did your doc give you? Any chance you can describe them? I've been doing a warm-up walk before running as well as some calf and quad stretches, but I don't know any shin splints specific stretches. Any help?

And lastly, I need to stop running on the concrete sidewalks. I'm sure that has a huge effect on my running.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:02 AM   #188  
Maintainer since 12-22-10

S/C/G: 198/190/165

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by augeremt View Post

And lastly, I need to stop running on the concrete sidewalks. I'm sure that has a huge effect on my running.
It just might. I did some research before I started the program and it showed that its better to run on asphalt than concrete - less impact on the joints.
Slim CB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 06:13 AM   #189  

Just came back from my W4D1 run....and it was not easy! I was wondering if the persons who saw me (especially on the last 5 min run) were laughing at me cuz I am sure I looked like I was about to pass out! I did not give up though...even though I was experiencing menstrual cramps and even though I went cold turkey on exercising for one solid week. I did not give up! I finished it and to me that is a great accomplishment.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:50 AM   #190  
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

S/C/G: 340/276/150

Height: 5'6"

Congrats tinycities!!!! That's amazing and very inspirational!

I'm considering starting the C25K.

Do you all follow the schedule strictly or does each "week" take longer than an actual week to finish. I want to do this slowly, but at the same time, challenging myself might be a good thing?

I exercised for the first time in 2 weeks this morning. It was a half an hour hike. It definitely got my heart pumping. I'm buying a new planner this morning and printing out the C25K schedule and I'm going to start scheduling the days I run. I need structure or I just sit here and do nothing.

I'm excited for this journey!
kerielaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 12:57 PM   #191  
Starting again Jan. 2013

S/C/G: 223/see ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

Hello everyone! I just found this thread.

I completed W1D2 of C25K this morning. It feels great. I am having a better time with it than I thought I would.

I am going to do my first 5K on April 2, 2011. I am going to sign up as soon as they open registration.

April seems so far away but it gives me time to work up to running 3.1 miles and time to work on speed.
gvntofly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 01:04 PM   #192  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerielaine View Post

Do you all follow the schedule strictly or does each "week" take longer than an actual week to finish. I want to do this slowly, but at the same time, challenging myself might be a good thing?
I don't as I exercise at the gym as well. I just do it at my own pace and usually end up doing no more than 2 runs a week.
Old 11-17-2010, 01:06 PM   #193  

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvntofly View Post
I am going to do my first 5K on April 2, 2011. I am going to sign up as soon as they open registration.
I like the idea of signing up for a 5k ...definitely gives you a goal to work towards. Personally I want to start doing them in January....whether I can run the full 3 miles or not.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:00 AM   #194  

S/C/G: 166/ticker/123

Height: 5'3"

Hi! It's been awhile but I'm still running over here!
I've definitely deviated from c25k. I was on week 7 when I realized OMG my 5k race is in a few weeks and I've not ran 5km yet! At that point I was only running about 2.25 miles. So I decided to start running for distance. I mapped out 3 miles and started running - and my average 5k time is 36:00, and yes, that's with walking breaks. Today I only took a minute break at the beginning of mile 1 and mile 2 .

So now my 5k turkey trot race is exactly one week away! I can't believe I made it to this point!! Even though I deviated from c25k and never really finished it, the moment I cross the finish line next week will seem like the end of c25k. I'm so excited for the race, a part of me just wants to do it already and get it over with! I know I can do it!

I'm also planning on signing up for a Christmas 5k race that's in mid- December. I figure if I sign up for races every couple of months then I'll be motivated to continue running .
jesslaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 12:35 AM   #195  
Do or Do Not

Jesslasso- that's some pretty good time! Congrats on kickin butt!

Gvntofly - welcome!!! You'll really enjoy this thread!

Augeremt - I do alot of stretches where my toe is pointing towards the sky. Also sitting on the ground like you're going to touch your toes and just do stretches like moving your toes in down to the ground and then back towards you. Any stretches really where you can feel the stretch in the front of your leg. I've noticed alot of stretches are
for calfs..but I focus more on the front. also the one where you bend one leg and then with your opposite legs you put your heel down and toes up. Hopefully all this makes sense. It's kind of hard to explain stretches..lol.

**I thought my shin splints were coming back but this time in both legs. I think the problem was I did the program on mon, tap danced on tue, then c25k on wed. No time for my shins to rest!

They were a little sore today but not painful like before. The only thing I can think is the major stretching is helping.
Had a friend that texted me today..said she was having shin splints to bad he was limping. So I guess the splints are going around these days...

I will complete week 2 tomorrow! I'm pumped! Signed up for some challenges on Nike+, for all u Nike +'ers, I'm an orange level and my goal is to make it to green by summer 2011 (june1)! I've got around 96 miles to go!

Woohooooo! Goodnight all!