Old 04-16-2009, 08:38 PM   #136  
work hard.

S/C/G: 197/170/155

Height: 5'9

Checking in on the fly:

4/15 - walked one mile
4/16 - ran my first 10k in a little bit over an hour...thesis stress has officially been run into exhaustion.

new totals:total/walk/run=29.1/4.5/24.6

I've just realized that if I want to start running longer distances, I really need to get some nicer running socks (and maybe new running shoes, but DEFINITELY socks). It's funny, I never notice my socks if I only run 2 miles, but after about 4, they start to scratch my feet or get stuck in between toes and cause blisters. Ouch. Has anyone else had this problem?

I'm pretty excited about running 10k, but I've realized my weight routine has gone out the window this month...I think it's because running helps me de-stress better than lifting, which involves more downtime to think between exercises. But as long as I'm getting some exercise in at all, I think I should be happy with myself.

Great job on your 4 miles Cake Batter!! Hi to the rest of you ladies! You're all doing a great job! Makes me proud to post here and motivates me to get myself in gear!
icandoallthings6613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:49 PM   #137  
ISO my perfect body

Height: 5'7.5"

4/1- 3miles walking
4/2- 1 mile (15 minutes on nordic track) + long bad day at work!
4/3- 3.3 miles on nordic track, upperbody weights, and 2x40 reps ab lounge
4/4- 4 mile hike, .5 miles nordic track
4/5- shopping? I did get like 8000+ steps but did not sweat (2.5 miles)
4/6- 40 min Nordic track( 2.6 miles), upper body wts, 100 reps on ab lounge.
4/7- 57 min Nordictrack (3.3 miles), Walk 1 mile, 40 reps on ab lounge
4/8- 1.6 mile walk in the hay field
week 1 total miles-20.3 miles!!
4/9- 10771 steps at work today.....did all the extra gofering as I could.
4/10 sat and did taxes all day, got called into work early
4/11 1.3 miles on the nordic track, then got called in to work again
4/12 at work.....nothing
4/13 walked 0.5 miles after easter dinner
4/14 nothing, some house work....forgot my pedometer
4/15 Serious housework 2.5 miles on Nordic track
week 2 total miles 8.8
4/16 3.6 miles on nordic track
4/17
4/18
4/19
4/20
4/21
4/22
Week 3 total miles

Ok I am back at it, Ugh I hate when I have been too busy to get my miles in. Not this week though! No excuses!!!

Last edited by Lewisempire; 04-16-2009 at 08:54 PM.
Lewisempire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 12:31 AM   #138  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

Hi Ladies! Well, I am in a bit of a quandary. The last couple of days I have noticed some familiar pain in my knees and feet that I haven't wanted to admit to, but the truth of the matter is that I have rheumatoid arthritis (and fibromyalsia). I was diagnosed years ago, and after initially having to go on meds, I weaned myself off of them and it's basically been mind over matter since then. My family doctor thinks its pretty amazing, but in reality, I'm just really stubborn so I refuse to be sick, lol! As a result, I live in some pain daily, but I am used to it, and so I sometimes forget that I have RA. But in hindsight, I probably should have left my exercise at once a day. My symptoms seem to be getting worse and I am afraid that if I keep on, I will have a full blown flare-up, in which case I'd have no choice but to go back on meds because even I, in all my stubbornness, can't "think" my way past a flare-up. They are pretty debilitating. So that leads me to my quandary. Do I continue with the 2-a-days and keep a wait-and-see approach, or do I heed the pain now and drop my exercise back down to once a day and hope that that will avoid a flare-up? The thing is, I'm not positive if I continue as I am now that it will definitely lead to a flare-up. Then again, it could. I just really have not quite decided what to do about this. Right now, my knees and feet really hurt and I have been super tired today (also a symptom of RA), even though I am eating well and taking vitamins. I guess I just need to sleep on it tonight and see how I am feeling tomorrow. Maybe the 3-hour walk at the mall the other day just aggravated things temporarily. We'll see. I just really hate to give in to this condition, so I am extremely reluctant to! Anyway, I do have some good news! My DH has decided to get me the Y membership that I wanted for my b-day! (FSA, I know you asked about it--its Tuesday.) Yay! I am so excited about that! Yesterday, we got into quite a discussion about it and I really thought I was going to lose the battle, but all of a sudden today, he did a complete turnaround, and when I asked him why, he said just because I deserved it. He really is a "Dear Husband"! Well ladies, I have to get some sleep now!

OLD GOAL: April 1--Biked! April 2--Biked! Walked! April 3--Biked! April 4--Walked! April 5--Walked! Biked! NEW GOAL: April 6--Biked! Biked! April 7--Biked! Biked! April 8--Biked! Biked! April 9--Walked! Biked! April 10--Biked! Biked!
April 11--Walked! Biked! April 12--Biked! Biked! April 13--Walked! Biked! April 14--Biked! Walked (kinda)! April 15--Biked! Biked! April 16--Walked! Biked!

Last edited by Jacqui_D; 04-17-2009 at 12:34 AM.
Jacqui_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 08:45 AM   #139  
ISO my perfect body

Height: 5'7.5"

4/1- 3miles walking
4/2- 1 mile (15 minutes on nordic track) + long bad day at work!
4/3- 3.3 miles on nordic track, upperbody weights, and 2x40 reps ab lounge
4/4- 4 mile hike, .5 miles nordic track
4/5- shopping? I did get like 8000+ steps but did not sweat (2.5 miles)
4/6- 40 min Nordic track( 2.6 miles), upper body wts, 100 reps on ab lounge.
4/7- 57 min Nordictrack (3.3 miles), Walk 1 mile, 40 reps on ab lounge
4/8- 1.6 mile walk in the hay field
week 1 total miles-20.3 miles!!
4/9- 10771 steps at work today.....did all the extra gofering as I could.
4/10 sat and did taxes all day, got called into work early
4/11 1.3 miles on the nordic track, then got called in to work again
4/12 at work.....nothing
4/13 walked 0.5 miles after easter dinner
4/14 nothing, some house work....forgot my pedometer
4/15 Serious housework 2.5 miles on Nordic track
week 2 total miles 8.8
4/16 3.6 miles on nordic track
4/17 3.8 miles on nordic track
4/18
4/19
4/20
4/21
4/22
Week 3 total miles
Lewisempire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:49 AM   #140  

Good morning ladies! I think I have my problem figured out. I'm just going to slow it down until I'm feeling back to normal. I am still going to do 2-a-days, but just not at full force. Like this morning when I went on my walk, instead of going about 3-3.5 mph, I went about 2 mph, which is considerably slower. I think that will really help, and I won't feel like the RA is making me change my plans. Hopefully, this is all it will take, and my body will start to mend itself! The walk did feel good until the end, and by that time, I was almost home, so now I have a perfect excuse to put my feet up and relax for a bit, lol!
Old 04-17-2009, 06:00 PM   #141  
Back at it...again!

S/C/G: 199/ticker/139

Height: 5'3"

Okay so I just want to post minutes for today and hope to be able to conitue doing...we'll see

4/17: 45 min. basketball, 45 min walk

The b-balll was fun and a great workout...it's been awhile!
Ms Perception is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 09:15 PM   #142  

hi girls, hugsssssssssssss, its only been what? a day or two since I have not posted here but it feels like forever to me! I miss you all!

Jacqui? I just wrote you in our sister thread about the y, I am so happy for you. As for your post here, so sorry I am late in readig and responding. jacqui? I think your right, it's a good idea to slow it down a little. I dont know! We need to follow how we feel. I have osteoathritis in one ankle pretty bad (right one, broke it twice) and it has actually improved significantly since my walking and working out but when I overwork and (well like now) I get a kink in that leg and limp a little. If you see it is hurting you, best you stay off it or don't do the exercises which hurts it! yes, I d on't blame you! Swimming! If you can swim or take advantage of that at the Y, great! It helps tremendously! oops, brb! Back, sorry! Jacqui, as I am sure you know, your psysician is the one best able to make suggestions and guide you, plusssssss you know your body and what works for it and what does not. For me, I can't bike! I don't bike or run (was never a runner, though I admire much the ladies who do) becaue it hurts my knees too much! Biking nails my knees! That's the only reason I don't have a stationary in my unti. No offense to bikers, ittttttt's great! It's just that fullsteams knees don't do well with it. I am wondering if maybe you slow on the biking a bit and keep with the walking? and/or add in some swimming which is incredible for the joints! Quite frankly, if your 2 adays are increasing your pain, **** yeah girl, drop it down to one a day or switch up the routine! Something isn't jiving! keep your eyes on the biking, that may be what's getting your knees! The walking should be okay.
FullSteamAhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 09:28 PM   #143  

Hi prettyfriend howdy girl! I think you ar4e doing awesome! In as far as your question, I vary up my routine on the treadmill. I am not a runner as stated, but I love to walk. I start with a 3.0 warm up, a few minutes to 5 minutes or upwards, depending how I feel, and gradually increase speed from there. I probably hit about 3.4-3.6 on the t.m but do as you do and alternate the speeds. I will go 3.0, then 3.2, then 3.4 and just keep alternating speeds (as every single one of my health mags suggest). It is a great interval training type o f thing and we actually burn more caloreis by alternating speeds every few minutes. I think your doing amazing! Remember not to gauge your speed against someone else's as we are all different heights ( and the taller we are, the longer the gait for example) and things of that nature. I feel and understand that the best we can do is warm up and then work at a pace that feels like we are pushing.......work at a pace that we feel we are working hard to accomplish, pushingggggggg! Be very careful of weights, they throw balance off while walking and quite frankly I don't suggest them! I f you must do something of that nature, best to use light wrist weights! Or better yet, keep away from them alltogether whilst in motion! I neverrrrrrrr use weights when I am in motion! Keep up the great work pretty friend
Old 04-17-2009, 09:32 PM   #144  

Icandoallthings,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,omg! I must be looped! lol! Congratulations on your thesis thus far and your 10 k run! That is amazing! I think what your doing is so great! As far as the running socks go, I wouldn't know! (as I am not a runner). I did the walk for hunger (20 miles) and brought a change of socks with me, lol . BListers! ah ha! but beyond a change of socks, I have no idea what works?
Hmmmmmmmm? Let me (us) know okay? It would be great to learn what (if anything) out there can help us and many others, in that way! Thanks
Old 04-17-2009, 11:01 PM   #145  

FSA, you are such a sweetheart! Thank you so much for your advice, support, and encouragement! I am very sorry to hear that you have osteoarthritis. Having any kind of arthritis is very painful at times, I know. Actually, RA isn't a "true" arthritis. It's an autoimmune disease and the inflammation it causes destroys the joint (or rather joints, because it affects both sides of the body). That's why I cannot let it get worse. I am going to have to do something differently I think. I was so hopeful after walking this morning, but my knees never did fully recover, and then after bicycling tonight, my knees, feet, and now ankles are throbbing and just burning up a storm. I thought since the bicycle was non-weight bearing that it would be beneficial, but now I have to agree with you that it is not helping. Under the circumstances, I think I am going to have to reduce my exercise to walking once a day, at least until I can get into the Y and see how swimming feels so that perhaps I can add that too. I really, really despise cutting back, but it is just not worth the risk. I can't keep pushing it unless I want to end up back on meds, which I don't! Exercise absolutely is beneficial, but I have to find the line between helping and hurting, and sometimes it can be a thin line. Like you, I'll always be limited on what exercises I can do and I have to do them in moderation. Sometimes I forget that...until my body reminds me, lol! Once my RA settles back down, I'll be fine, but wow, does it hurt in the meantime! Anyway, lady, thank you for your kindness! You're so wonderful!

April 1--Biked! April 2--Biked! Walked! April 3--Biked! April 4--Walked! April 5--Walked! Biked! April 6--Biked! Biked! April 7--Biked! Biked! April 8--Biked! Biked! April 9--Walked! Biked! April 10--Biked! Biked!
April 11--Walked! Biked! April 12--Biked! Biked! April 13--Walked! Biked! April 14--Biked! Walked (kinda)! April 15--Biked! Biked! April 16--Walked! Biked! April 17--Walked! Biked! (and now back to original goal)

Last edited by Jacqui_D; 04-17-2009 at 11:03 PM.
Old 04-18-2009, 01:10 AM   #146  
work hard.

S/C/G: 197/170/155

Height: 5'9

Jacqui D, I'm so impressed by the way you approach your health obstacles without getting frustrated and giving up but also without completely ignoring them and pretending nothing is wrong. I think you're absolutely right to slow down and give your body a chance to heal.

When I first began exercising seriously, about a year ago, I got a brutal case of Plantar Fasciitis in my right heel. It was so frustrating and at first I just ignored it (being a soccer goalie gives me an insane notion that no pain is too much pain to push through) and it hung around and finally got worse. But when I finally learned better and began to respect it, rest it and take care of myself properly before and after work-outs it got much better. I wish I'd known to take your approach from the start...

4/15 - walked one mile
4/16 - first 10k!
4/17 - ran 2.5, walked 1 mile. Hopefully will do my push-ups.

new totals:total/walk/run=32.6/5.5/27.1

At this time next week, I will be partying because I'll have (god-willing) turned in my thesis!! Wish me luck!

Have a lovely weekend, ladies!
icandoallthings6613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 11:20 AM   #147  

Goodmorning girls Sneaking in a quick post before I get to work. I didn't post my minutes yesterday and like to do that to keep up with things.

Lewisempire and MsPerception, wtg on the workouts and p osting the minutes too! Jaqui, what you say makes a lot of sense....I hope you feel better today, let them rest! ty for your kind words, the feeling is mutual Icandoallthings, goodluck! okay , I better run....thank goodness the cleaning is almost done, I am getting tired! have a great day everyone.

4/1 -40 min. wii aerobics
4/2 -68 min. ( 30 min. walk-t.m, 20 min. wii aer., 18 min strenght training).
4/3 -none
4/4 -82 min. (40 min. walk-t.m, 20 min. wii aer, 22 min. u.b.s.t)
4/5 -60 min. walk-outdoors.
4/6 -40 min. wii aer.
4/7 -17 min. u.b.s.t
Total: 307 min.

4/8 - day off
4/9 - 80 min. walk-outdoors
4/10 -50 min. walk-outdoors
4/11 -none
4/12 -60 min. (40 min. wii aer., 20 min. u.b.s.t)
4/13 -75 min. (40 min. wii aer, 35 min. walk-t.m)
4/14 -105 min.(60 min. walk, 30 min. wii aer., 15 min. u.b.s.t)
Total: 370 min.

4/15 -20 min. walk
4/16 -90 min. (walk, aer.+u.b.s.t)
4/17 -40 min. walk
4/18 -
4/19 -Day off
4/20 -
4/21 -
Old 04-18-2009, 01:19 PM   #148  

Ican, thank you so much! I can certainly understand about you being a soccer goalie and thinking you can play through any pain. My daughter is an athlete too and she has played through incredible pain. I think it must be a part of the athletic creed, lol! Wow, you have to be so excited about being this close to turning in your senior thesis!! Woohoo!!! Just one more week!! Good luck!!

FSA, I think you may have been spot on about the bike. I went walking this morning, and although I need to take it more slowly now, I definitely feel better than when I biked last night. Walking once a day for 45 minutes at a slower pace will just have to suffice until my body starts cooperating again. Thanks for that heads up!

ORIGINAL GOAL (45 min once a day): April 1--Biked! April 2--Biked! Walked! April 3--Biked! April 4--Walked! NEW GOAL (30 min twice a day): April 5--Walked! Biked! April 6--Biked! Biked! April 7--Biked! Biked! April 8--Biked! Biked! April 9--Walked! Biked! April 10--Biked! Biked! April 11--Walked! Biked! April 12--Biked! Biked! April 13--Walked! Biked! April 14--Biked! Walked (kinda)! April 15--Biked! Biked! April 16--Walked! Biked! April 17--Walked! Biked! ORIGINAL GOAL (45 min once a day): April 18 -- Walked!

Last edited by Jacqui_D; 04-18-2009 at 01:29 PM.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:00 PM   #149  

S/C/G: 177/157/138

Height: 5'6"

Apr 1 60 min Zumba class: 60 min Yoga class
Apr 2 60 min step class
Apr 3 30 min elliptical(8/8);30 min treadmill(4.3)
Apr 4 Yard Work
Apr 5 60 min Step class; 60 min Zumba class
Apr 6 60 min Step class: 60 min Yoga
Apr 7 60 min Body Sculpting class

Apr 8 60 min Zumba; 60 min Yoga
Apr 9 0
Apr 10 0
Apr 11 0
Apr 12 0
Apr 13 0
Apr 14 0

Apr 15 0
Apr 16 0
Apr 17 60 minutes Zumba
Apr 18 90 minutes walking (strolling pace)

Hi Ladies,

Sorry I have been absent but as you can see I have not been exercising. Stuff happened and messed up my routine. Anyway, I am glad I got something done in the last few days. Today I walked in a MS walk a thon with my neighbors. I have never done anything like that before and it was a really cool atmosphere. My neighbor has MS and she was so appreciative that we all came out to support her.

I just spent about two hours catching up on posts on 3FatChicks so I don't have enough time for personals but I hope to be back here more this week.
TERAPET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 12:01 PM   #150  

S/C/G: 183/177/160

Height: 5'2"

Icandoallthings - 10K run! I am so jealous and inspired all at the same time!

Jacqui - OMG yeah you are going to the "Y"! That is awesome. You really are a trooper for your RA...I mean really. You just keep on trucking. Oh and I met my monthly mileage goal. Thanks

FSA - How are you honey. I feel the same way when I miss a day.It seems like forever.

SO I ran 3.5 miles on Friday and then yesterday I onlyto run a mile and a half but I got to do it along the water by my mothers house. It was a nice change of scenery.
CakeBatter is offline   Reply With Quote