Old 02-24-2007, 10:09 PM   #151  

Ashley - I was raised catholic and always had to give something up as a kid, but as an adult I've always found it tough and harder to get the kids to understand (7 and 3), so we do something extra for lent instead -- this year we are visiting the VA hospital in our area once a week during lent to visit with and do some crafts with the patients. I think my kids can learn more from this than giving up gum!!!
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 10:12 PM   #152  

S/C/G: 01/07/10~ 142/136/132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley103 View Post
I gave up watching TV a couple of years, which was also really hard.
I'd have no problem giving up TV except I have to watch it to do my DVD workouts!

I can't believe I'm actually doing this! Wow, 4 days in a row for REAL exercise, thats amazing!
Wide in Winnipeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 11:17 PM   #153  
Babysteps

S/C/G: 174/144.8/130

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelby897 View Post
Just curious, most people have a few challenges they are working on, which one seems to be the hardest to stick to? For me it's the Reese's peanut butter cups calling me name in the kitchen, I swear I can smell the peanut butter from here!!!
Haha! I can relate...those things are banned from my house for the time being, because they are too darn good! I applaud your ability to ignore their calls to you from the kitchen Keep up the good work!
meg on a mission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 12:37 AM   #154  

S/C/G: 196.8/194.8/140

Height: 5 ft 5 1/2 in.

Well, I didn't end up getting that exercise in Sat. either, now that is 2 on and 2 off in the first 4 days!
It also blows my pledge of 6 days a week --but, I will try to atone by doing 7 next before taking one off.
I did make healthy food choices, so mostly on track there.

What is the significance of giving up the artificial sweetener? Many of you seem to have pledged to do that, so there must be something I missed by finding this site and it's vast amount of info late.

Sweet dreams
Roseann58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 08:53 AM   #155  

artificial sweetener just isn't 'natural.' i think that's why a lot of people try to restrict it. there's lots of studies and stuff that say artificial sweetener causes cancer, etc, but since there's a story like that for just about every food, i don't think that motivates too many people anymore. I think we end up relying on it so heavily because we think its better than real sugar, then we form a dependency on it anyway and it becomes as big of an obstacle in our lives as real sugar does.

so that's what I think. Then again, I'm not giving them up

yesterday was a-ok, so 3/4 days complete.
britomart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 10:05 AM   #156  

S/C/G: 140/137/125

Height: 5'2.5"

well I have another day down and I have lost a pound Last night was hard because I watch flip thios house and usually have a great big bowl of cereal but I had a quarter cup of frozen yogurt instead.
canadian mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 11:21 AM   #157  
On A Mission

S/C/G: 250/ticker/140

Height: 5ft 3in

well well well. Down 1.6 pounds since the start of the challenge!

oh, and I was able to go to my kids birthday party and avoid both the soda and the cake!

as far as what 'counts' I know others see it as a failure and proof I can't do this, but that's not how I see it. I see it as three french fries that I slipped up and had. But I also see the fact that I sat in McDonalds for an hour and change and didn't get a chicken nugget meal, large, with extra fries and a hot fudge sundae washed down with hi-c {the hi stands for hi fructose corn syrup, incase y'all didn't know} I see it as overcoming the urge I was having to go get 'just a medium order' of fries for myself. so it's all in perspective I guess....
mkat321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 11:22 AM   #158  
On A Mission

S/C/G: 250/ticker/140

Height: 5ft 3in

oh, what day are we on btw? the lenten calendar online subtracts the Sundays and so forth, which we're not supposed to do for the challenge, right?
mkat321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 12:14 PM   #159  

Hm... yeah, we never officially decided what to do about the Sundays. I for sure am not allowing myself to go out to eat on Sundays... But then we'll end up with 45 days instead of 40 days at the end.

I am counting today as success and giving myself a little hamburger in my signature. Maybe those extra 5 are there for forgiveness.... or for a victory lap.... however you choose to use them. Or, if you're just in it for 40 days, stop 5 days early. Or give yourself Sundays to do as you please.

so many choices!
britomart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 12:19 PM   #160  

S/C/G: 140/137/125

Height: 5'2.5"

It is up to you if you want to take Sundays of you can but alot of us are not. If I take Sunday off it will make Monday hearder 4 me. There are also a few people (me included) who are putting money in a 'piggy' bank for everyday of succes then after this is done reward ourselves with something that is not food related.
canadian mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 01:28 PM   #161  

AWWW! I'm jealous! LOL! Everyone is losing weight but me! LMAO!!! My weigh in day is actually tomorrow so I'll know at that point if I lost an ounce or two!
I'll be hard at it again today, I'm not taking a day off for Sundays either, if I do I'll be just as lazy tomorrow and that will be the challenge done for me! I'll stick to it Thank-you and put that $$ in the piggy! Today I'll be up to $10.00!!!
Old 02-25-2007, 01:39 PM   #162  
I like jewelry.

Height: 5'7"

Which is the hardest to give up for me? Cheese! I would eat it for a snack, eat it for lunch, eat it for dinner. I thought about making pesto last night, but even that has parmesan in it. I might buy some vegan parm substitute -- parm seems to be the only cheese that vegan substitutes can replace for me.

Another good day yesterday! I ate Thai for lunch, and no egg rolls. Plus I weighed myself, and I've lost weight.
TBJ333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 02:23 PM   #163  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

Roseann58 - I choose artifical sweenter because I drink more diet soda then I like it - there is NO nutritional value in artifical sweenter and it really isn't good for you. Sure it is 0 calories but what is it doing to your body? Lots of people actually believe it prevents you from losing weight.

So I gave it up... but i find myself having more real sugar, honey in tea, fruit jucie - stuff I normally wouldn't have. YES they have more calories but they also have more health benifits.
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 02:55 PM   #164  

Heres the links to the Beat the Bulge game and the Beat the Bulge points threads for any of you that are interested in playing!Game starts tomorrow Feb 26th and runs till March 19th.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...?t=105550-Beat the Bulge

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show....php?t=105551- BTB Points
Old 02-25-2007, 03:03 PM   #165  

S/C/G: 190/166.8/160

Height: 5'10

Hello all!!

I have been good on not eating sweets. My bf even waved chocolate in front of me, and I wouldn't eat it. (He wasn't being a butt, I had an upset tummy, and he for some reason thought the mint chocolate thing he had would make it feel better)

Any way, exercise hsa been a no go I don't know what to do to get myself motivated
AmberD is offline   Reply With Quote