Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 11:32 PM   #46  

Hmmm, I definitely wouldn't call it a binge, but I did share a reeeeealy bad dessert with my daughter tonight. It was a planned treat, so I'm not feeling out of control about it. I do wish I had been able to exhibit the same restraint as I did while still actively losing, and just indulged in a few sinful bites, but I didn't. Oh well, you win some, you lose some, I'm not going to beat myself up about it.

Beverly
Old 08-26-2006, 09:49 AM   #47  
Elizabeth

S/C/G: 233/158/145

Height: 5'6

Hi Everybody!

I'm starting to really work on portion control to help control my binge-beast. NOTHING excites and delights bingey more than the words, "all you can eat". (think buffet or atkins plan---which doesn't limit quantity---just "eat until you're satisfied"--HUH, bingey is NEVER satisfied! )

I've been eating on a small plate and it seems to help. Even though I'm not "hungry" physically, thanks to my new carnivore lifestyle, I am still dealing with the mental hunger. It is SOOOO much easier to deal with this mental hunger when I don't feel the insatiable urges, compulsions, hungers that I felt on higher carbs.

Boiaby~WOW! You are an inspiration to me.........look at ALL the weight you've lost and have kept off!!! PLUS, you are able to "share" a planned delicious dessert?!??!?!?! You are AMAZING!!!!

sweetpea~I think you're doing great, even if you gave in to a small sample of UFF (unhealthy fatty food). Your attitude is really great and it seems that you are taking some posititve steps to becoming healthier----exercise and buying healthy stuff. WTG!!!
2 steps forward, 1 step back = you are STILL ahead 1 step.......
You had a tv show?!??! Very impressive!!!! Please, tell us more..........
I was caught on tv during mardi gras in New Orleans My costume was somewhat "unusual"

Moonbeam~ sorry you're having a rough TOM. I can definitely relate to that! For pain, I find ibuprofen is excellent. Also taking a hot bath and soaking or using a heating pad helps me. For cravings....depends on what I'm craving....ususally chocolate. I like the carb options hot chocolate (25 calories) made with carbcountdown milk (45 cals) Very rich, creamy, chocolatey and decadent tasting! I hope you feel better soon!

Kate~ Even when you're not feeling well, you have a great sense of humor! That definitely says a lot about you! You are doing SO FANTASTIC! QUitting smoking, being binge-free for a LONG time AND dealing with your Mother. PLEASE stay strong.....I KNOW you can do this!!!

rochemist~WTG on not bingeing---especially considering the stress you're dealing with! Good for you----telling your gym how you feel!!! WOOHOO! That can be a good stress reliever!

Stephie~ 4 days binge-free!!!!!! YAY! Keep going, you can do this!

Lealee~ Lake Baked Goods!!! You are so funny! I too have vacationed there, even have a time share condo there! Time to end your vacation, get back on the wagon to sanityville!
How is the going? You are still my treadmill hero......

tamibeep~ jump in anytime! Our binge-free wagon has a seat with YOUR name on it! WTG on 2 days binge-free!

Knot~
I know what ya mean about breakfast! You are smart to figure this out---awareness is, imho, so important. Wishing you a successful breakfast, day, week, month, etc.....

Whew, hope I didn't miss anybody!!!
Big to Ellis and Harpo----missing you and wishing you the best!
Old 08-26-2006, 12:37 PM   #48  
Searching

Well as far as I would rather eat 3 meals+ 1 snack a day yesterday was a bust. I just got busy, then I was making dinner for my family+ 3 guests. I never buy ***** for home because I have a hard time stopping once I start. So the **** kept calling to me, after a couple I made an announcement not one more. I did have a drink here and 2 more at the comedy club last night. Obviously totally screwed up my system because I have been running for the bathroom since 0500.

Out to breakfast with my company again this morning. Not a complete bust, but I wonder sometimes why I order food I don't like. Its like temporary amnesia. Maybe because it said 1/2 a ******, I hate *****.

My husband wants to go out to a show tonight. I would love to go to the theatre, but the one show I really want to see is $36 a ticket. So instead the movies? He won't see "Idlewild" and he keeps talking about a special showing of "Fight Club". I love "Fight Club", but to be honest I would rather stay home today. It seems like all I ever do is go, and I have to work 1/2 a shift tommorow night.

A nap and an afternoon of refurbishment. Shave my legs, give myself a pedicure, manicure, and facial. Sounds lovely.

sweetpea- the mall landmines, its okay, it was that moment and now its gone the next moment can be that much sweeter. I think people think of Yoga as static poses and meditation, which is part of learning. But my dance instructor has allowed me to think of it in fluid movements of my own choosing. Sure the static stuff I use for pratice, but for a good aerobic workout picking 4 or 5 moves and runing through them at a decent clip for 20 minutes is not boring at all. Hence I think the love of the basic Sun Salute.

Bev- sometimes if you don't have that little dessert you might just have the rest of the house I think part of any eating disorder is that whole instant classification "good food" "bad food" By my rebellious nature I will always hang with the bad guys, better off letting the whole nation of food hang in Switzerland

Elizabeth- I think that small plate thing is awesome, I always do better with the small plate. I might just pack one in my bag for my trip, what an easy fix to portion control and bypasses having to haul around a bunch of equipment to weigh and measure

moonbeam- I love the oranges too. I hope you feel better.

Kate- Your doing an awesome job of sorting out your feelings and realizing that the quitting smoking can way contribute to your mood. You go girl

Its the weekend, check in if you have time!
Miss Chris
Old 08-26-2006, 05:55 PM   #49  

Awww durn, I spoke too soon! I think the planned indulgence gave way to that all or none mentality associated with having "blown it" already. So what'd I do?? After I posted about feeling in control about my planned treat, I went and binged on any junk food (namely sweets) I could find in the house. WHYYYYYYY?! And today has been no better. It's like it's too late now so I might as well have a free for all weekend, ug. I HATE that I work this way, I HATE that food, or compulsive eating, or whatever is my vice. I HATE it! How on earth can I do this to myself knowing where I've been, and what I can so easily go back to? Why? This bites, literally and figuratively. All right, new goal. One FULL week binge free; one day, one hour, one minute at a time. Sigh...

Beverly
Old 08-27-2006, 12:05 AM   #50  

Hey there! Thanks muchly for the warm welcome, everybody!

I am continuing to have a pretty good week. I'm up to four days binge-free, which I am trying to be proud of. That's hard for me to do. I have a pattern of going for about ten days OP and then POOF! it's all downhill. So I am trying not to get cocky about it. But I was bingeing SO badly prior to Tuesday that it is nothing but a tremendous relief to me to feel like I have some control again. I know the crazy out-of-control feelings will return, (especially if my uterus has anything to say about it!) and so I am focusing on trying to set up some patterns that will help me at least hold steady, even if I don't lose any weight that week. I will be happy if I can just maintain, instead of going buck wild and eating the furniture!!

Bev - *hug* Try not to beat yourself up over it, sweetie. It happens. It doesn't make you a bad person or a failure. No matter how much we may not want them, we're going to still have those moments of weakness and fall back to our old behaviors, especially in the beginning. Learning to walk isn't just a matter of standing up and walking... it takes a LOT of falling down before you figure out how it works.

Have you tried writing about what you were feeling during your binge? My T suggested that to me as a first step toward recovery... not to try to stop a binge so much as to try to learn from them when they happen. What did you learn from this? Stay strong, you'll figure it out.
Old 08-27-2006, 02:46 AM   #51  

i fell off the wagon too trying to persuade myself to eat something nice for dinner

and yes! i do the journaling... but i'm depressed right now and it's hard to think long term in this state
Old 08-27-2006, 06:16 AM   #52  
On my way...

Height: 5,4 ft

Good morning!

Ok, yesterday was half binge- free. Breakfast was ok, then I skipped snack , had a major fight with my mother while eating lunch (or supper?) which made me to eat to fast and too much. And the meal wasnīt that healthy anyway. Then I had a nap and a unhealthy snack- but I figured it out and ate only half of it and put the rest down. The evening meal was quite healthy, reasonable amount- really alright.
So I made it to make a new start at the middle of the day which feel really strange.

I really have to get back on track. I was too close to a binge the last days. So I assume that I am totally motivated so that I will do great next week. And today, naturally.

I hope everybody is having a nice Sunday!

Kate
Old 08-27-2006, 10:12 AM   #53  

Height: 5'-2"

I'm sorry... I've been completely avoiding this (and even the binging thread!) place lately. I'm just so up and down with my eating. (ya'll know what I mean)
Anyhow, I'm determined to have a clean day today.

Moonbeam, Whirleygirl and Tami, welcome! (did I miss anyone else?)

Chris, welcome back, you sweet ol' thing you. I've missed you terribly.

Sweet_Pea, I'm sorry the depression is still hanging on, hon. Remember that this WILL pass. (I know... easy to say when you're not in the middle of a depression) But it will... hang in there, sweetie.

Elizabeth, I think it's here in Ontario... the government is talking about passing some sort of law to prohibit "all-you-can-eat" buffets. It might sound a bit over the edge, but I think it's not a bad idea. Those buffets are NOT a bargain. I mean, we're not living in the cave days anymore when it was feast-or-famine.

Bev, come on, girl... you can do this. Don't beat yourself up... just move on.

Kate... I'm so sorry about your mom. (you, too, Sweet_pea) I know just what you're going through... my mom was/is the same. For years I just wanted a mom, but it was always me doing the mothering. It's only after years of therapy that I've finally been able to let go this year and realize that it's out of my hands. I can't change her. And I don't care anymore. I've finally stopped crying for my loss of a mother, and I've just accepted it.
That sounds so simple, but god, it was hard work.
Now I just concentrate on steering her conversation away from "dump sessions". Which is also REALLY HARD WORK!
Kate, be strong. Her life is hers... it's what she makes it. Don't let it interfere with who you are.

Stephie, are you still there? How are you doing?

Jodi, I love how you come creeping out of the woodwork and then slink back in. Get back here, girl!

Chelsea, how are things going with you?!

Sharon, you're exercising and eating well right now, right? It's Sunday.

_knot, hang in there... we're right behind you, sweetie.

Did I miss anyone?

I'm going to go and get a healthy breakfast (with some protein), and eat right ALL DAY!
And so are you!
Old 08-27-2006, 01:21 PM   #54  
Searching

The all or nothing of dieters and ED people. Its really getting to me this morning as I comb through all the posts. I think we all have our weak moments, and sometimes our weak days,weeks, months, and years. Its like we lose our truth in the quest.

My truth for today is this is my body. It is a gift on loan, and I have tried to distort it to hold my pain. For today though I look past the distortion to see how it is serving me. Breathing, moving, eating, sleeping, living its meeting my needs. So I can choose to live in my gift with loving care, or reject it and continue to try to distort more. But for good or bad its still mine and its here.

I don't know if I had even a point there, just trying to acknowledge the day.

I have to work tonight, its only a half shift because I leave for LA in the afternoon. The real question what to do till then? I think I will grab the paper and get caught up on the world. A half hour of dance or yoga? I might go to the tanning booth, I find that concentrated UV 1X a week keeps my mood up. Last time I obviously didn't get enough sunblock on my belly so it burned. I am a little freaked about that.

Li- right back sweetie, be kind to you today otherwise I might just have to come to Canada and smother you with so much love you can barely stand how awesome you are

Bev- you have come so far, just a little more. You know we believe in you, and your attitude is right

Tami- So is it at least leather furniture? Good job girl, ODAT

Sweetpea- If I could take your pain I would, be kind to yourself today. If you could give yourself 1 non-material gift today what would it be?

Kate- Mom's are hard. I moved very far away from my mom so I can be close to her if youknow what I mean. You so cognitive about where your at and thats such a gift.

Hope to hear from the rest of you today

Miss Chris
Old 08-27-2006, 01:23 PM   #55  

jodi sneaks back in for just a second..... sorry to hear you are having a tough go of it ellis. i totally feel your pain. i had a few binge free days this week which is a real improvement over the past 2 months. focus on today!! we need to turn this ship around!!

hang in there everyone!! we can do this! one day, or hour, or minute at a time we will succeed!!
Old 08-27-2006, 01:41 PM   #56  

S/C/G: 175/158/140

Height: 5'7

I am back on this thread after yesterday's bad day.
Not sure I can survive today but I will try.
Old 08-27-2006, 07:06 PM   #57  
Detangler

Hey oh,
sorry i've not been around. but now i'm here, just in time for the new thread! today was mostly binge-free, with two small slip-ups. better than the rest of the week was!

but besides that, i am SO PROUD of you ladies!

moonbeam65 - you are so gorgeous. (guessing that's you in your avatar.) GREAT job coming back to the thread after a bad day. bad days make me want to HIDE from the forum and that just makes more bad days! i'm sending good vibes to you to survive today. you can do it!

jodi - what an admirable attitude. we CAN do this!!

Miss Chris - one not-so-good thing that's come from my membership on this thread is that i've started to think in terms of weeks for being binge-free because of these weekly threads. I've got to stop that! what a beautiful post. our bodies are pretty incredible, for all the abuse we give them every day. careful with the sunblock, girl!

ellis - hope your day was the best! i share your tendency to avoid the forum when my eating's not so hot. mmm, your protein-y breakfast sounds good!

Kate - maybe your nap made it seem like a brand new day... great job getting focused right in the middle of the day, after a notsogreat lunch! think motivated thoughts for the new meal, new day, new week!

sweet_pea - i also fell off the wagon (quite a few times) this week... we're all behind you.

tamibeep - GREAT job with this week! four days is a lot to be proud of. no, i wouldn't recommend eating the furniture keep up the excellent work!

Beverly - i completely agree with what you've said. also, it looks like we share a goal! one week would be my longest ever. as soon as you can, pick yourself up and turn that HATE of bingeing into positive energy towards your goal. we can do it!!!

Elizabeth - i'm glad you've found a way to help handle cravings and portion control! eek, i could never do atkins...what would a vegetarian eat on atkins?

hope to see everyone on next week's thread!!
Old 08-27-2006, 08:17 PM   #58  

hi everyone

yday only ended up being a mini binge so it wasn't too bad. today i am totally stressed out. woke up to find a big splat on the carpets. one of the dogs has diarrhoea from the new dog food and it is not cleaning up easily

have to admit this forum is driving me nuts. i still don't get immediate notifications and sometimes not at all. and then there's the pop ups. even with my pop up stopper it beeps and slows things down. okay whine over.

i have started the day with a healthy smoothy and some supplements. need to go out soon and buy some stuff to clean up the carpet.

someone asked about the tv. i was an "expert" on a daily tv show. i had a slot once a week where i would give advice and i really enjoyed it. next i want my own show LOL, but i would need to be slimmer. can't give people advice about their lives when your own is visibly in need of attention!

ellis - thanks for your support. but unfortunately the depression doesn't pass. even with pills i think the most i've had is about 2 weeks of non depressed days in any of the past 5 years. and nope that's not an exaggeration. i wish it was.

knot fantastic on a BF week. you're sounding v positive

kate - glad you're starting to feel on top of things. feel free to post the good AND the bad. that's what we're here for

moonbeam & jodi -yep that old one day at a time is the only way to go. good luck with that

miss chris - the 1 non material reward i want is unattainable so that doesn't really work for me!
Old 08-28-2006, 05:59 AM   #59  
On my way...

Height: 5,4 ft

Hi everybody!

Itīs Monday and itīs raining...but I am feeling not that bad. I am slighty feling as if there would be firm ground under my feet again so I could slowly go on- if that makes any sense.

Well, yesterday was binge free
And I am planning to search for recipes in the internet to get a few more healthy meal choices in my food plan. And I will be in the city tomorrow, maybe I am buying a cooking book....I am going to try to eat more "Low carb" things, specially taking care of the glycemic index- stuff. I guess it probably would work for me....But I need guidance because itīs not so easy doing it as a vegetetarian.

ellis: Hey, youīre here
I guess there is a connection between bingeing and the need to be mothered- after all, your mother prepares food when you are younger etc.
I am not only missing the mothering part, all the time when I grew up (and now) it wa hard for me to find a mother figure or something like that to establish my ow female self (does that make sense??)

_knot: You are doing great! Hereīs a cheering carrot for you:

Ok, I have to hurry now- have to cook.
I hope everybody is having a nice day with some amount of binge free time!

Kate
Old 08-28-2006, 08:26 AM   #60  

S/C/G: 175/158/140

Height: 5'7

Hi All,
Knot, Ellis, Sweet Pea - thank you guys for reading my posts and replying.
Had two really bad days... This morning I am back - I cooked all my lunches and have healthy snacks to take to work.
Kate - I don't know if it makes a difference, but my mom did not mother me at all, it was my grandmother who mothered me with really good, fatty food. Result - I want some love I eat!
Relearning is difficult.
Kate, hope this week will be easy with less tobacco cravings.
Closed Thread