Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 03:23 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 170/159/150

thanks! heh i guess i should have poked around the board a little more
Old 05-16-2006, 06:04 PM   #17  
Hot by association

S/C/G: ?/110/?

gingerbread! I'm glad you decided to join the site, I'm sure you'll find it very helpful. Congrats on your 11 day winning streak. Keep on rolling!
Old 05-16-2006, 10:35 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 307/172/153.5 (half of SW)

Height: 5'8''

YAY!! 2 binge free days!! And I've been exercising!! I feel great and totally in control.

How is everyone else doing?

Okay, there is something I have noticed and it's been bugging me. This question is directed at you, lovely ellis. Now in this forum, we have a lot of people who post once or twice and then they never post again. Since you've been here quite awhile, ellis, I just wanted to know if this is a new phenomenom or has this always happened. Do you think our crazy ramblings turn people away or they give up or get scared or something. It hurts to see so many "one hit posters" as I call them. Do you think we don't offer enough support/encouragement? Every new person is warmly welcomed, so I just don't understand. It just seems like our tiny group of regular posters always stays tiny. No one every sticks around long term

Okay, now this is directed at the aforementioned posters/lurkers who don't post anymore: WHY?? Please tell us what we are doing wrong, so we can improve.

Girls, don't get me wrong, I love you all and I love our little dysfunctional family, but you know, the more, the merrier.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:02 PM   #19  

Height: 5'-2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarpoChicoGroucho
YAY!! 2 binge free days!! And I've been exercising!! I feel great and totally in control.
Yay!! I'm so glad for you, hon!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpo
Okay, there is something I have noticed and it's been bugging me. This question is directed at you, lovely ellis. Now in this forum, we have a lot of people who post once or twice and then they never post again. Since you've been here quite awhile, ellis, I just wanted to know if this is a new phenomenom or has this always happened. Do you think our crazy ramblings turn people away or they give up or get scared or something. It hurts to see so many "one hit posters" as I call them. Do you think we don't offer enough support/encouragement? Every new person is warmly welcomed, so I just don't understand. It just seems like our tiny group of regular posters always stays tiny. No one every sticks around long term

Okay, now this is directed at the aforementioned posters/lurkers who don't post anymore: WHY?? Please tell us what we are doing wrong, so we can improve.

Girls, don't get me wrong, I love you all and I love our little dysfunctional family, but you know, the more, the merrier.
I love that you "said that right out loud, Harpo". It bothers me, too, but I know it happens in other areas of 3FC. (because I asked the other mods. heh heh)
I actually haven't been moderating this forum very long. (a year?) I was modding South Beach, but it just got too busy for me. I was helping out Chris (our wonderful, former mod here), and when she left, I took over.
Some of the sub-forums are always hopping. Weight Watchers, Atkins, etc. People get involved with a specific diet, and they want to hang out with like-minded people.
Here, we're all doing "whatever", while striving to somewhat normalize our relationship with food.

I know that some of the other moderators are in absolute DULLSVILLE at times. The same thing happens to them... new people drop in, they lose interest (or just get busy), and they leave. It's unfortunate.

I would love it if more of the lurkers joined in. And yes, suggestions are very welcome!

Thanks for your input, Harpo.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:13 PM   #20  
with my mind on my monkey

Speaking as a lurker, I think that One-Post Wonders may visit at a very low point - rock bottom, if you will. Whereas they may not normally be a frequent visitor/poster, a bingeing episode can be compelling enough to cause them to seek outside support. Chances are they usually try to self-manage their disorders.

As for me, an admitted lurker, I rarely post here for two reasons: one - I've been in remission & don't want to come off as preachy, and two - I don't always feel like I have something valuable enough to contribute... especially since so many of you are already so skilled at offering support to each other.

I do however check in daily and feel a kinship with you all!
Old 05-16-2006, 11:46 PM   #21  

I didn't binge today but I sure ate WAAAY too much! I mean, I ate a normal breakfast and lunch, had a few snacks in between, and hit my 1,100 calories. but then my friend came and picked me up to take me to my first Astros game. He decided he wanted to eat at Freebirds first...ahhh! The burritos are freakin HUGE! But I only ate half of mine. then, at the game, he got me a super huge strawberry daquiri, and I drank more than half of it so I know the scale will be showing it tomorrow. but I dont consider that a binge. A binge for me, and what I would have done a few weeks ago, would be.. I'd eat the whole burrito, drink the whole daquiri, then come home and pig out because I knew I ruined it. I'm not gonna do that tonight!!!!!! I'm determined. I worked out for about an hour earlier today. I hope this doesnt set me back too much
Old 05-17-2006, 06:49 AM   #22  

I thought you had been the mod around here since its inception for some reason, ellis (maybe it was your 13,000+ posts). I'm glad we are not the only forum who gets people dropping in and quickly disappearing. It does make sense about us "doing our own thing." I know some of us go post regularly in other forums, but my base is here because I just have never fit into another forum. I guess I wish more folks' "home" would be here, like mine is. I also think the forums experience people who get revved up to start a diet, enthusiastically post, and then they give up on their diet a week into it. I can see a lot of people doing that.

Monkey, I have noticed that A LOT. People come in here, confess, and then we never see them again. Or they start threads asking if they have a problem, and we say, "YES, you do have a problem" and then they never post again. I think they post out of pure frustration and desperation. Although we get jealous of those who are doing well, we still love to hear about it. So POST!!! It truly is a motivator, and it challenges us to stay in control as well. And as for not feeling you have nothing valuable to contribute: WRONG!! We need all the support we can get, you know that. Any comforting words or praises of a job well done are valuable to us. So don't feel like that. Sometimes I just ramble on and on, and I know people are like, "what kind of drugs is she on?" but I still post, even though what I write may not be helpful AT ALL to ANYONE. Just be open and honest, and it will be much appreciated I promise.

2Live Eating too much is definitely better than surrendering to a binge. If I overeat anything, it is just like you said, I will binge later that night no matter what. So you had a victory dear!! It didn't turn into a binge, which could have turned into days worth of bingeing (which mine do). And maybe you could eat a little lighter today to balance it out. I doubt that half a burrito and daquiri set you back, remember you have to eat 3500 calories extra to gain a pound of fat, and whatever fluctuation you see on the scale is probably from the sodium.

Let's have a binge free Wednesday girls!!!
Old 05-17-2006, 08:11 AM   #23  
On my way...

Height: 5,4 ft

Being no one-hit-poster, Iīll bore you with the details of my last two days....

I was binge- free yesterday (juchu ) and the first half of today. I hope I can stay binge free today as well.

I was busy with University and a lot of things lately, so I didnīt watch TV often in the last weeks. But yesterday I had my weekly "ER"- intake- what means that I had to watch a lot of commercials. And I learned that watching food commercials is a binge trigger for me. If I had the things that were praised in the adds at home....

Well, I havenīt binged for a while, but sometimes I have the strong crazy urge/desire to do it...Donīt know why and I know itīs stupid.
Does someone else have problems with feeling overwhelmed after the "comfort of the binges" and the nice numb feeling of overeating is gone?

WELCOME gingerbread!

Letīs spend a nice Wednesday (with binge- free time )

Kate
Old 05-17-2006, 08:11 AM   #24  

Harpo, I've been here for four years. And I'm embarrassed to say that I have more posts than anyone else. I just never shut up.

Monkey, thank you for your input. You're right... we do get a lot of desperate people here. It's very daunting to even acknowledge a problem and then to "let it all out" to strangers.
I'm so glad to hear you're doing well. As Harpo said, please don't let that stop you from posting/contributing if you'd like to. We're all at different stages here. I admit to feeling a bit guilty when I'm doing well, and then embarrassed when I'm not.

Hungry2Live, I think you showed tremendous control yesterday! You were actually mindful of what you ate. Chalk up that episode as a success!!
Old 05-17-2006, 08:14 AM   #25  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate109
Well, I havenīt binged for a while, but sometimes I have the strong crazy urge/desire to do it...Donīt know why and I know itīs stupid.
Does someone else have problems with feeling overwhelmed after the "comfort of the binges" and the nice numb feeling of overeating is gone?
Kate, we posted at the same time. Hi!
Yes, I can relate to that. I think many of us can. I definitely feel angry with myself after I've binged.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:36 AM   #26  
On my way to a better ME!

S/C/G: 250/ticker/135

good morning ladies! I hope you're all doing well today and staying strong! Today is just one more day towards a binge free life! Yay! We can do it!!!
Old 05-17-2006, 04:19 PM   #27  
Elizabeth

S/C/G: 233/158/145

Height: 5'6

Hello everybody!

I've had a few good days since returning from vacation!

I've found that if I can avoid the kitchen I do better. It's like the food starts CALLING me when I'm in there! I almost feel like a crazy person hearing food voices in my head! YIKES!

Ellis~Like Harpo stated, I can't believe you've only been a mod here for a year! I didn't even look at the number of your posts---you're just so darn good at making everyone feel welcome and offering support! I'm glad you "never shut up"!

Kate~I can totally relate to what you posted. I still have crazy, stupid urges to binge. Yep, I also feel like doggy do-do after I give in to the urges. But, I try not to focus on the times I slip up. Instead, I try to remember the times I do well. That gives me more motivation to continue doing well.

Harpo~I know what you mean about the one post wonders. I know you directed your questions to Ellis, so I hope you don't mind me responding as well.
I definitely DON"T think that "crazy ramblings" turn people away or that there is not enough support/encouragement given here. Personally, I think there is a wonderful group of chickies here, yourself included, who offer insight, encouragement, support and lots of hugs! I think it has to do with the posters, not the people here. By the way, I would hardly consider your posts as "rambling". You are, imo, very good at writing. You have a way with words!

Hungry2live~Congrats on avoiding a binge! It's tough to not "pig out" cause you feel like you've ruined it! Once you get on that slippery slope it's hard to climb back up to the land of control.

HungryMonkey~I agree with Harpo---please share your victories with us! It helps give us all inspiration!

bigf~Hi there! You have a great attitude! Yes, we CAN all do this!

Belle~"telemetry: Aaah sodium! Don't worry, I'm sure those 8 pounds are just water weight. I know salt makes me puff up like a little dumpling." lmao!! too funny---puff up like a little dumpling? Ha, try a BIG dumpling!

jayrobella~Yep, buffets are TOUGH! My dh LOVES buffets As far as the veggies go, you can always bring baby carrots and cut up veggies in baggies. I like sliced squash and zucchini for snacks with ff ranch dip. How about trying some v8 ---there are new flavors out there that taste like fruit juice. Strawberry banana, etc. but they contain a serving of veggies.
Old 05-17-2006, 05:00 PM   #28  

Nope, Elizabeth, I don't mind you responding at all. All wisdom is appreciated! Thank you for the compliment; my passion is writing. I hope you had fun on your vacation. I'm hiding in your luggage the next time, because I haven't had one in 5 years, and by then, I will be small enough to do so!!

Okay, I'm at 2 1/2 days binge free!! I got my exercise in early today, so all I've got to worry about is a sink full of dirty dishes (why do I let them pile up? ~ pure laziness) and a dirty kitchen.

Have a lovely binge free evening girls!!!!
Old 05-18-2006, 05:58 AM   #29  
On my way...

Height: 5,4 ft

Hi!

Today I have the not so nice pleasure to decide if I want to post in the Cyber bingers or in the binge- free section. It depends on how you judge my behavior yesterday.

I felt bingy (?) yesterday night and I was terrible hungry. So I ate a bit too much lunch. And then I discovered ******* in the freezer...And ate a little portion. While sitting down and I ate it slowly. I could count it as a snack....Or I could count it as a binge.
I decided not to be so hard on myself because it wasnīt that much food after all....

Good news: I lost one pound! Very surprised about that!

I hope this day will be better than my last day. I really good go for the main actress in a "Psycho"- Remake otherwise....

Girls, you are all doing great! So, one more day without bingeing...

I made it binge free for 19 days (nineteen!! )- it wonīt function without your suppport!

I am sorry for any additional typing mistakes. My cat is sleeping on my laptop, so I have to type around her....

Kate
Old 05-18-2006, 09:06 AM   #30  

S/C/G: 233/181/160

Height: 5'9"

I have to be honest. I've been binging like CRAZY the past 3 days. I just can't stay on track. I get hungry in the evening and all my hard work is ruined. I decided I'm gonna try 4 mini meals a day rather than 3. I'm so sick of ruining things for myself.
Closed Thread