Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 11:05 AM   #61  

Height: 5'-2"

Good morning, girls!

Melissa, good luck with the water pills. Don't stress over the weight, hon. You're bursting with muscles and good health.

Rachel, you must be crazy busy at work!
Exercise! You've been exercising!! Good going, girl!!
And post as often as you like, hon. Whatever is good for you.
Yes, I do believe it will get easier food-wise. Unfortunately, we'll probably never be "healed" of our addictions, and we have to acknowledge that. It's like smoking or drinking or gambling or any other addictive behaviour. The behaviour is always lurking. We need to learn the skills to keep those urges at bay. And we can do it!!

Rosetta, just remember that the food you're smelling is only sustinence. We have to keep in mind that old cliche, "eat to live, don't live to eat". (do as I say, not as I do)
Congratulations on the six pounds!

Alisha, I'm sure you'll get a lot of relief with your knees as the pounds come off. I've suffered from Plantar Fasciitis on and off for years, and it's always exacerbated when I put on too much weight. AND I've noticed my knees are in rough shape now that I'm at an all-time high.

We had a great time at the cottage, although I ate very badly. But I'm back on track, walking regularly, and my legs are strengthening up again!
Old 08-26-2005, 01:21 PM   #62  

Good afternoon -- happy Friday!!! I always love Fridays -- it usually means I can sleep longer than 5am the next day!!!

I have been thinking back to my food intake yesterday, and while I ate more than my "allotted" 3 meals and 3 snacks, since I worked 14 hours and was awake until midnight, I'm going to call the last evening's snack not totally off plan. I probably could have skipped it, but it got me thru the last 2 hours of work. Sometimes that's all that matters. Today is going much better. I've eaten on plan all day, and even talked myself OUT of ordering some pizza for lunch. I had a healthy meal packed and ready; so before I could talk myself back into the pizza I was craving, I grabbed it and ate. Now I don't NEED the pizza It's what I'm telling myself anyway.

It's rainy and blah outside; I need to get a workout in, though, to keep that energetic feeling, so perhaps I can talk DH into keeping the kids out of the garage for an hour so I can do another tape and some free weights. Or maybe we can all workout together. We'll see.

Ellis, how was the trip to the cottage? Was this a vacation or just some much needed time away? Yeah, I agree with you -- these food addictions may be something that we have to deal with all our lives. I guess learning new habits is best then so we can fight the battle forever.

Melissa, wow, cold turkey on the water pills huh?

Well, lunch time is over -- I'd better get back to work. The fun just never ends around here!!!

Do you guys usually post on the weekends? I hope so -- that's usually the worst days for me.

later,
Rachel
Old 08-27-2005, 08:05 AM   #63  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Hi Everyone,

Just popping in to say hello and to make sure there's no partying going on with out me

Okay resume conversations............

Old 08-27-2005, 03:34 PM   #64  

Hey Leenie! We've missed you.

I am doing okay without the water pills. I was almost on plan last night. I forgot to log a piece of light garlic bread which put me over my calories when I double checked everything this morning. But not by much. I drank all my water today, so I'm doing good.
Old 08-29-2005, 09:28 AM   #65  

Happy Monday!

I got up a little late and had to get to work a little early so I just did my strength training this morning. I only have to do 20 minutes running today though, so that will be easy to squeeze in at lunch.

I am proud of myself making it through my weekend on-plan. That doesn't happen very often. I just prefer the structure of weekdays, I guess. I was really battling my binge demon last night. Hubby was at work, house was quiet and I wanted *ice cream* but I had already had all my calories for the day. I took a shower, brushed my teeth, chewed gum and went to bed just a little early. But I didn't eat anything! woo!

Oh! I am up two pounds this morning, but having not had water pills since Friday I am pretty darn happy with that. I am a little swollen, rings go on but fingers look a little sausagey and my shoes are just a bit tight. I drank a million gallons of water this weekend so I guess that must have helped.

Have a spectacular day!
Old 08-29-2005, 12:01 PM   #66  
Life is a cabaret

Default Ello!

Hey everyone! Ellis! Welcome back! I hope you had a fantastic time at the cottage - it sounds like it and I'm so glad. Don't worry about the 'oopsies' when you were there hun, honestly. People don't realize that dieting is hard work - rather you want to call it dieting, doing a program or changing a lifestyle. It all boils down to the same thing... being painfully conscious of every little morsel we put into our mouths and that takes a LOT of concentration and work. Sometimes we just need a break. There's always tomorrow sweetie, and we're right behind you.

Melissa - I'm sorry your doctor threw you for a loop when he said to quit cold turkey. I can imagine that frightened you, but truly, don't worry. Just work from the old addage that the body will only retain water when it's dehydrated so keep on swilling the H2O! I tend to drink about 80oz a day - although some days are easier than others. I have found, however, that the Fruit 2 O Plus 10 does wonders though. They have berry, watermelon kiwi and natural apple and they are all delicious. PLUS you get extra vitamins! I try and alternate between flavored and plain water and it seems to work a LOT better than swilling gallons of nothingness. It also has a tiny bit of sodium (only 10g) so that helps keep your electrolytes balanced. Your body may bloat a bit at first from the shock of the medicine not being there, but you'll even out. You've beaten so many monsters already, this one will be no problem!

Rachel - hurrah to you for not giving into the pizza monster! That's fantastic! I don't blame you at all for having the little extra - you DO need fuel ya know! I think you're doing fabulously and you should be so proud of yourself. I don't often post on weekends, but I will ensure to log on more. Those are the worst days for me too - usually because I have nothing to do to keep me occupied but watch TV and read. SO.. I'll log on and make sure I'm there for support!

Leenie - NO party would be complete without you doll! Great to see you!

Rosetta!!!! 18lbs! How good does that feel? You are doing so well - it sounds like your program works for you very well and I'm so glad! I know what you mean about that pizza smell.. it's deadly! Just remember - nothing tastes as good as thin FEELS! You'll get there and have one amazing bod!

As for me - well I'm finally back on track as of last Thursday. I just realized - I haven't been on to tell you about my episode! I must tell you all.... my last binge was on last Tuesday night. Ellis, you and I have discussed the woes of IBS and how crappy food really does a number on it... well let me tell you chickies, I think I nearly killed myself with food! I got a bee in my bonnet on Tuesday that I wanted McDonalds AND some of that damnable pie they bake at the deli in the supermarket by me. SO...I got them both! I specifically didn't eat during the day, you see, because I knew pretty much from the time I woke up that I wanted one last hurrah before I went back on my program.

SO... I drive home, straight to get the pie and then do a loop back to McDonalds. Gods this is shameful, but I ate a double quarter pounder with cheese, a big mac, a large fries, and THEN decided that I HAD to have some pie even though I was bursting. So, I had some pie. I let all that settle, gulped down a litre of water to try and aid the movement of the mail through my system and the had some MORE pie! Well let me tell you... about 4 hours later, my stomach blew up like a basketball. And the pain? Holy crow I thought someone was surely stabbing me in the gut! I got this idea to try and kind of jiggle my stomach a bit - to try and dislodge all the wind that had build up and was pushing my stomach to the brink. WRONG idea! Instantly I felt terrible. Everything displaced alright - right into my back, all the way up to my shoulderblades and down to the small of my back. My stomach distended further and I broke out into a clammy cold sweat. I spent about 20 minutes pacing around my apartment trying to ease the pain, holding the wall the whole time to keep myself from falling over. It was about that time I had to go into the bathroom and upchuck everything that went in that day! I thought I'd feel better but Nooooooooooooo..... In fact, I nearly called my mother because I, honest to gods, thought I'd ruptured my stomach the pain was SO bad!

I managed about 2 hours of restless sleep and then got up to go to work. I made a stop at the drug store first to ask the pharmacist if there was anything over the counter I could take. Well, the best she could offer me was gas tablets! Now for those of you with IBS... I don't know if you're like me, but gas tabs do NOTHING! Zip, nada, null, nought! But, I took them anyway. And, they did nothing. I sat at work until about 12:30pm feeling like an over-inflated beach ball. Just as I had decided that I was going to HAVE to go to the doctor, insurance or no, to get anti-spasmodics, the pressure lessened. I guess someone upstairs figured I'd learned my lesson and showed me some mercy. Thankfully it completely went by late that afternoon. Needless to say I didn't eat a damn thing. I didn't even risk taking my calcium tablet!

That night I went to the grocery store and bought Metamucil, peppermint tea and potassium supplements (which I found by accident looking for peppermint oil - yay!). I started on my program the very next day (Thursday) and haven't looked back since. I swore to everything sacred that if I could just get through that episode, that would be it - and it is. I can hardly LOOK at a fast food commercial without feeling ill and I think I'd commit murder if someone tried to get me to eat a piece of that pie!

So, that is my drama ladies. I'm here to tell you - it AIN'T worth it! As strange as it sounds, I am actually glad that happened. It was the best aversion therapy there is and I honestly think that it weaned me off fast food and crap for a very long time. Actually, I think it weaned me off bingeing for a VERY long time too because I realize that my system just can't handle it and then I can't handle the pain afterwards.

So, back on track with a 3lb loss so far (my weigh in is really Wednesday) and counting my blessings that I didn't do any real damage. SO... next time you think pizza or a hamburger looks good.. please use me as your inspiration NOT to give in.

Take care all and I'll check in later!

Alisha
Old 08-29-2005, 07:06 PM   #67  

Cool

Hi, I was busy at work for a change last week and I don't post on weekends because I don't have a computer at home.
Ellis - Glad you had a good time at the cottage. Sometimes we have to relax our eating habits a little. Good for you to be back walking. I have to start that soon as soon as I lose a little more weight.
Leenie - I know you're busy at work - drop by more often. We miss you.
Melissa - What makes you swell up? That sounds really frustrating. I was taking a high blood pressure med with a diaretic but didn't feel any effects. I've been off it now for three weeks and don't notice the difference (my blood pressure seens okay). WTG with battling the ice cream demon.
Alisha - what a scarey experience! Well, at least you got a lesson out of it.
Like you and Melissa, the weekends are hardest for me, too. I almost broke down and got a biscotti with my non-fat cappucino on Saturday. Talked myself out of it. But more temptations came my way and I have to keep reminding myself what I'm doing this for. The one thing that deters me from cheating on weekends is that I have to face weigh-in on Tuesday evening and I won't have enough time to lose whatever I gain. That said, I'm presently hallucinating the smell of lamb chops. Umm. Guess it's time for one of my shakes.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:43 PM   #68  

Good evening. Reading my 3FC to keep from eating right before bed!

Alisha, been there, done that with the crazy binge. Except mine would be 2 quarter pounders with cheese, fries and a mcflurry then chocolate chip cookies to wash it down. Sadly, even typing that is making my mouth water.

Scary, though, how bad it made you feel. Be careful with the purging. Hopefully you have got it out of your system now.

Rosetta, I had high blood pressure. I got it while pregnant with my daughter, who is now three. Initially, they treated me with anti anxiety meds and blood pressure meds. Then they switched me to just a water pill. I have been taking it everyday for at least 3 years. My blood pressure is fine now, but my body has become dependent on the water pill. Really, 2lbs up is nothing. In the past I have gone up as much as 12 pounds in 2 days.

I hope you had that shake! I can't imagine hallucinating the smell of lamb chops. It would always be baked goods for me!

See ya in the morning.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:50 PM   #69  

Good evening

Well, I pretty much just didn't follow any plan this weekend, but I didn't binge either. That really felt good. I ate normally, watched my portions, and drank water when I remembered to grab some. Pretty good weekend!!! And today I started back on the plan I usually follow when I'm "dieting" -- light breakfast, medium lunch, afternoon snack, dinner, small evening snack. Plus I got in 32 oz. of water on my way to work. It's an 80 mile drive, one way, so I have to spread that water out or I'll be rushing to the bathroom when I get there!!!

I did something over the weekend that I hadn't tried before. I went to a place called "Dream Dinners" and made up 6 meals that went directly in my freezer. You order in advance, and have to choose at least 6 and up to 12 meals. You get there, put on an apron, and start "cooking". All the stuff gets throw together, sealed, and frozen. When you need a quick meal, pull one out, follow the label on the bag, and there you go. It was pretty cool and fun, so I got online Saturday evening and found several more recipes that are meant to be frozen first -- so I made up a bunch of my own meals to add to those I'd bought and now I have 10 frozen meals in my freezer!!! With DH back in school, the kids back in school, and my job going full tilt, those will come in very handy. I have no idea of the nutrition facts on the meals I bought, but I do know the facts for the ones I made, and I chose healthier fare -- leaner meats, more veggies, low-fat cheeses, etc. It felt good to be cooking again

Alisha, wow, what an episode. I can definitely understand what was going on in your head -- just "one last fling" before going back on plan. WOW. I say it sounds like the best way to end a binge, though. Truly an adverse reaction.
Way to go on getting back on plan and sticking to it. WOOOHOOO!!!

Rosetta, way to go on skipping that biscotti!!!

Melissa, way to go on getting thru the weekend on plan!!! And only 2 pounds gained from the water retention??? WOW!!! Keep on drinking!!!

Well, I'd better get to bed -- early to bed, early to rise for my workout

later,
Rachel
Old 08-30-2005, 10:09 PM   #70  

No chick chat today? Okay well we have to have something for today.

Rachel, I am soooooooooo jealous of your Dream Dinners. I have heard of those places and would love to have one near me. I think your weekend "no plan" sounds like a plan. As long as you have basic guidelines and stick to them, it is a plan.

I am crabby. My husband has quit smoking and he is crabby, it makes me crabby and he is not even home. He kept calling tonight for weird things and being a pain in the butt. My daughter didn't nap today so she was overtired and whiny. I was trying to bathe her, answer questions for my hubby, get dressed for bed and wash my face. I was feeling very overwhelmed. Tomorrow we have gymnastics class for my daughter so we are not home until 7:30pm. Tonight I made 4 lunches (me & hub for 2 days), 2 dinners and got our clothes ready for the next two days. I hate when I do that to myself. Being overwhelmed just makes me want to eat crap. Well, okay, everything makes me want to eat crap - but still. I'm more likely to give in when feeling overwhelmed. I didn't though. I am about to head off to bed. On plan again for the day. Whoopee!
Old 08-30-2005, 11:18 PM   #71  

Good evening I'm getting ready to head to bed, but thought I'd pop in here and post my day's successes I followed my plan for food, got in plenty of water, and I got that workout in this morning. YAY!!!

I have everything ready for tomorrow -- clothes set out, lunches made, dinner planned (just gotta pull it out of the freezer). I may have Wednesdays be my "off" day from exercise; we'll see how tomorrow goes. Usually they're pretty busy. Luckily, DH's 1st class is cancelled so I don't have to rush home

Melissa, this is the first one of those places that have opened up around me and believe me, I was quick to see the potential!!! DH thought it was really stupid at first, but I think he's seeing the potential now -- since all he has to do is follow heating instructions for tomorrow's dinner. Hopefully he does a good job.

I hear you on hating getting everything ready -- but it's so worth it. Fail to plan and you'd better plan to fail Good luck to DH on his quitting smoking!!!

OK, time for bed...

Rachel
Old 08-31-2005, 10:08 AM   #72  
Life is a cabaret

Wow Rachel, that Dream Dinners place sounds amazing! I'd love to be able to make a mess in someone else's kitchen! You know the funny thing? It reminded me of Home Economics! I had to take that class in high school and I remember a bunch of us mixing and chopping to make food to take home and share with our families (hey, it was at least ONE night we had food in the house!!). I have figured out something about myself and your post reminded me what that was... I don't mind cooking when I have someone to talk to. That sounds so strange, but I remember a couple of years ago cooking for my boyfriend and me and sometimes he'd manage to drag his arse off the computer long enough to sit in the kitchen and talk to me while I cooked (and even grate cheese!). We'd each have a glass of wine and I'd chop and mix and prepare and somehow it didn't seem so bad. But, when you're alone and standing in that kitchen, all of a sudden it seems like a Herculean task! What a strange creature I am!

It also sounds like you have everything so well planned! I think that's great. I'm a huge fan of organization and I'm always proud of those who do the same. I think that stems from my mother being in the airlines. I'd fly trips with her sometimes and she had everything planned like clockwork. The suitcases were packed the night before we were due to leave (boy I could fit an elephant in a thimble the way I pack now!) and everything we were wearing was laid out and ready... right down to hairbands and socks! I remember her drilling into my head that with her job, there was no being late for work because the plane would leave you behind, so that whole idea has grown with me and made me a very prompt and organized person. Way to go mom (even if she still pecks at food!). The funniest part is when you look at other people, rushing around at the last minute - trying to find this, trying to do that, trying to beat the clock and then driving 90 mph to work so they aren't late... people who couldn't organize a piss-up in a brewery. That makes me VERY glad and grateful for what she taught me as I calmly walk to my car and cruise to work nice and relaxed, jamming to my favorite tunes.

Melissa - I'm so proud that even in your rough time you didn't give into the 'eating crap' syndrome! If you stop and think about it, what a sense of control you've adopted! I'm very proud of you. I'm sorry that your house is 'crabby central' right now. I have fits and starts like that too... some days roll on by without any stress but then there are others.... heh.. similar to what's been going on lately as I try to figure out what to do with my life! But anyway... I hope today finds you in better spirits and the scale smiles at you for your efforts! Just hang in there and it will all be worth it in the end!

As for me... well I'm still on plan like a good girl. I haven't faltered once since my 'episode' and I don't intend to do so. I weighed in first thing this morning (like it's something new from every OTHER morning..) but my total for the week is still 3lbs. I'll take it, although I was hoping for more. It's amazing that I can have the patience of Job when it comes to just about everything else except my weight! Well, at least it's in the right direction and my HEAD is in the right direction - not buried in a pile of food! I also had a little success because I went to Curves last night. I hadn't been for two weeks because I just didn't feel like it. I didn't feel like it last night either but at least I had the control to make myself go. I just can't wait until I can get rid of that membership so I can join Pilates. I also decided that once I get my weight down I'm going to sign up for ballet again. I studied it as a child and the love of the dance has never left me.

Anyway folks, that's about it on my end. Next....

Alisha
Old 08-31-2005, 01:26 PM   #73  

Happy Wednesday ladies. I am still crabby! I didn't get up and go to the gym this morning, though I did run at lunch. I am still debating in my head about stopping at the gym on my way home for strength training. Right now the is winning. Work harder !

Rachel, Wednesday was always my off day before I started this training schedule. I liked it much better than Thursday off, which is what I have now. It was a nice break in the middle of the week for me. There is a Dream Dinners in Naperville, which is about an hour from me. The only issue I have is how much food is in each meal. We only need a serving for 4, not 6 and DH hates leftovers! Where are you in Indiana? I am right near the border of IL / IN. I love to be ready ahead of time. I usually am. I just hate when I put all kinds of stress on myself to be done with it. I really didn't NEED to get two days ready. I just like to push myself too hard.

Thanks Alisha for the hugs and for being proud of me when I'm not. AWESOME JOB ON THE THREE POUND LOSS! That is fabulous! I think I am organized because my mom was NOT organized at all. She still isn't. She drives me batty with it.

I think I have determined that my lack of motivation (which I am not giving in to!) this week is because of the minor weight gain without the water pill. I am bloated and my rings are tight again. It makes in hard to stay on track when you aren't seeing results, especially if they are going the wrong way! But I know I need to stay on track so my doctor can tell how my body is reacting without the pills. If I eat badly and retain extra water he will just put me back on the pills. Which my may want, but my knows bettter!
Old 08-31-2005, 03:37 PM   #74  

Cool

Hi, chickies. I'm kind of down today. The weigh-in last night was disappointing. Only 2 lbs. gone. I suppose I'm disappointed because I rather expect the weightloss to be in proportion to my feelings of deprivation. Well, I guess it's not so bad when I look at 20 lbs gone in 3 weeks. (Although one man in the progam has lost almost 30 lbs. in the same time period.)
Melissa, I'm cranky too. More from lack of sleep than anything else. I don't sleep well anyway, but this week it's been worse. I'm too tired to do anything and really want to eat. (But I'm staying OP). It's great that your dh has quit smoking. It will make a healthy difference in both of your lives, as well as your daughter's. Bravo for the exercise. It's great that you're able to be flexible as to how and when you exercise.
Rachel - I wish they had Dream Dinners here. Well, they'd be off limits to me now anyway.
Alisha - congratulations on the 3 lbs. Good idea about the dancing. Why don't you start now in the privacy of your apartment?
Old 08-31-2005, 09:51 PM   #75  

Good evening

Well, another on plan day under my belt. That's 3 in a row now. I even threw away half of my evening snack because it just didn't taste good to me and wasn't worth the calories. That's a big step for me. Usually I just keep eating and eating, even when I think to myself "Hey, that just doesn't taste good."

I'm still not counting calories, but intend to get back to that soon. I like just working my way back to that. I think I had done that for so long that it just overwhelmed me. Well, no more!!!

I did decide today was a good day for rest. Wednesdays for some reason are just nuts around here. In fact, this is the first time I've sat down since I got home. We had dinner, DH went to class, I cleaned up, got the kids bathed, had 2 unexpected visitors show up, and Tomorrow I'll be in better condition to

Alisha, you know, I really enjoyed cooking like that too -- with someone to talk to or chat with. And the music really added too

Oh yeah, I'm a huge fan of organization too. Since I do all the morning routine by myself and 4 out of 5 evening routines alone, I MUST be organized. Sometimes I'll allow DD to make her lunch the next morning, but clothes must be laid out, homework must be done and in the bookbag, and all papers shown, signed or whatever. I have my morning routine down to an hour and don't want to increase it. Yeah, I think your Mom gave you a good habit with that one!!! My Dad is who I got mine from. He still makes up lists and has everything in its place.

Congrats on the 3 # loss!!! I read on another thread here that you're doing Medifast? How is that working for you? What plan are you following?

Melissa, I live SW of Indianapolis, about 3 1/2 hours away from Chicago. I've been there many times, though, as my Mom was raised there, and she and my Dad met there and lived there for awhile (me too). Some friends and I met for a weekend there, did the miracle mile and lots of touristy stuff.

As for the dream dinners place, if you feel like you want to check it out, you can split meals and make each meal into 2 (or more) if you want. They offer smaller containers for that. I'm pretty sure I'll head back a few more times. DH doesn't much care for leftovers either, but I'll eat them.

Oh, I definitely hear you on the lack of motivation stemming from the weight gain. I have always said that there is no motivation like success. And lack of success usually does the opposite. Way to go on NOT giving in, though!!!

Rosetta, yes, I can see where 2 lbs lost (or 20 in 3 weeks) wouldn't seem like much when others are up to 30 already BUT, you are still losing, and you are sticking to the plan so you know you'll continue to lose. Don't give up hope yet!!! BTW, how long do you intend to follow that plan? And what will you do after it's done?

Well, gals, I'd better get to bed. I'm going to get up early to do that workout, and I'm exhausted from all the working I've been doing. I'll check in tomorrow.

later,
Rachel
Closed Thread