Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Closed Thread

Old 08-24-2004, 01:46 AM   #1  

Red face Weekly Check-In 8/24-8/30 ODAT

Hi all,

I got this on an OA email list I subscribe to. The poster typed up various sayings she has heard in f2f meetings. So I wanted to share.

abstinence is being sane around food

god is not into judging you, therefore you need not feel the shame

i wasn't willing to let god decide what my abstinence was

god says, ok, i'm going to give you an opportunity to really work on
this

i have been ill with self-focus

my life is not as bad as i feel

OA has been a steadfast place in my life and my foundation

the minute we learn our lesson, that's when we get grace

i need to list people, places and things that cause me fear

i've learned to lay it all out on the table

thank god now i have warning signs that announce my compulsive
behaviour

in program i have learned that the focus is inward

i'm really struggling to not live in the future, to live in today

i'd love to blame my parents but i don't think it's their fault, i
think it's an inside job

i'm not a mistake, therefore i'm allowed to make mistakes

if i get upset over doing step 4, it's because i'm not doing step 3
enough

i got caught up in excitement and moved towards compulsive behaviour
again

god, this is between you and me and no-one else

i do it all very imperfectly

i was 5'8" and weighed 120 pounds and thought i was fat

i was always the good girl

always manipulating the truth a little bit

i was this ball of anger and i had to go to the bathroom and get down
on my knees and pray

the time between the screw-ups and doing the amends is getting
shorter and shorter

get honest, get real, show up

there's more to honesty than cash register honesty

i didn't come here for the weight, i came for the sanity

if my body wants to be low weight, ok, but if it doesn't, i don't care

this is the most comfortable i've been in my life

for today, i can't believe. and that's ok. today i can't be
grateful for a lot of things, and it's ok.

i got to walking and running just so that i can have tome with my
higher power

i thought my life was miserable. then i realized that i was
surrounded by beauty.

how it appears to me today may not be how it will appear to me
tomorrow

i just had these mistaken beliefs that run my life. now it's: i'm
wondering what kind of ideas are running my life right now? are they
helpful ideas or ideas that make me miserable?

honesty also means being true to myself

i just kept praying for the willpower to let go of those few extra
bites

"ignorance is bliss" – step 4 makes that saying impossible

it's great progress to be able to label my feelings – i still have
then, but at least now i own them, it's not about others anymore

the abstinence i used to have need to be lost. the one i have now is
so freeing.

before step 4, it's like carrying around a backpack. it's heavy and
stinky and leaking all kinds of s**t.

"i'll do whatever it takes to feel better". that can have two
meanings: to eat so that i feel better, or to do program.

Last edited by KatSLP; 08-24-2004 at 02:03 AM.
Old 08-24-2004, 02:05 AM   #2  

Default Meditation

The ebb and flow of will is like the movements of the tides.... If we
cease our vain struggles and lamentations long enough to look away
from the personal self ... we realize life is going well with us after all.
- Charles B. Newcomb

Everything in nature changes. We can trust the sun and moon will rise
and set, the tide will ebb and flow, and the seasons will change.
Because we can trust these things to happen, we can learn to trust the
fact that extremes in nature are normal.

So it is with people. We laugh and cry, work and play, we are young
and we grow old. There will be extremes with us, just as there are in
nature. And as nature finds its natural flow, even after the worst
disasters, so can we find our natural flow.

There is a rhythm in life that leads us to awaken and one that guides us
to sleep. Tonight our natural rhythm will lead us to peace and
relaxation. If we can flow with that rhythm, we'll give the quiet
calmness a chance to revitalize us for tomorrow. Now is the time to
follow nature's rhythm and sleep in peace.

Can I rest tonight in quietness of mind, soul, and body and trust I will
find my natural flow?
Old 08-24-2004, 07:42 AM   #3  
Countess Walks-on-Water

Hello from Potty-Training Central. DD has almost got it. We haven't achieved #2 yet, but she's becoming quite the Tinkle Queen. Tomorrow we're going to my mom's to spend the night (DH will be out of town) and Grandma has promised her a "potty party" to celebrate.

Thanks for sharing those quotes and the meditation, Kat!

I've been trying to figure out what the root of my problem with DH is (my errors in thinking, if you will), and I guess it's a control issue. To oversimplify our problems, I'm an optimist (one who COE's, but still) who WANTS to enjoy life, and he really doesn't. He really prefers to be a curmudgeon, and I can't get my head around that. But enjoying my life is MY responsibility, it shouldn't depend on him. I'm trying to separate myself enough to allow that to happen without physically separating myself from him, and it's tricky. I love him dearly, but I don't like being around him anymore. Ugh. Okay, change subject. Too early in the morning to go down that road.

Chris, TOM doesn't help, but I hope you and DH are doing better!!

I need to get on to my workout, before DS's patience runs out, so I'll BBL.

I hope you have another great day, Skippy!!
Old 08-24-2004, 10:14 AM   #4  
Searching

Good Morning Girls

Blech. The hormonally challenged. Thanks for starting the new thread Kat. I loved the quotes I had to send them on to my FP sponsor. "I'll do whatever it takes to feel better". that can have two meanings: to eat so that I feel better, or to do program. So here I am with just this one day to do imperfectly well. I am going to try to type in some of the descriptors Stephen King had in the “Wolves of Calla” tomorrow about being an alcoholic. If ya’ll don’t see your self I will be surprised.
I hope everyone is having better days than me.
I love ya’ll and I am so glad to be here.
Chris
Old 08-24-2004, 10:47 AM   #5  

Just saying hello!

Our new kitten is adorable! I'm sure I'll be asking myself everyday, what have I gotten myself into?!! I think I'm going through a mid-life thing, thinking I wanted a kitten!

I feel encouraged today knowing that I made it through yesterday without letting food have power over me, now if I can keep going in that, but I will take each day as it comes.

I told my daughter recently how much you guys mean to me! I am really becoming very comfortable with you all and I feel I have found others who understand me. I'm thankful to God for that!

I wondered to myself, how you all are always so good at remembering everyone in your replies and replying to each other's needs, so I wrote all your names down in my journal so I can try to start doing that also. I want you to know that I am thinking of you, because I am.

So....

Chris, Kat,Tracy, Christy,Jennelle, Vanessa, Ceejay, Sandi, Michelle, Linoleum,Kim....(did I get everyone?) I hope so, sorry if I didn't! How are you today?? I pray that your day is good and that you are encouraged or will be!

Love, skippy oxo
Old 08-24-2004, 10:49 AM   #6  

p.s. I liked the quotes too!
Old 08-24-2004, 02:20 PM   #7  
Searching

God grant me the serenity to accept that I am just nuts today. Busy, busy brain I have. My disease voice has been screaming some of the nastiest crap you have ever heard. I just want to beat the **** out of that *****, then I remember it's me But guess what? I don't have to eat that. I can chose to feel the feeling and walk through the valley of the mentally unstable. I will fear nothing for I know HP is there for me I just have to ask.

skippy- I am glad your enjoying your new kitty How is your day going girl? You know you can post as much as you want. Its called purging on paper. Acting out without being self destructive.

Tracy-Isn't it crazy how wewant to be with who we aren't. My husband has social anxiety disorder and OCD. I can be as anti-social as any COE, but eventually I will want to go to the mall, out with the girls, dancing. I love to dance But he can sit inside with the TV forever. And you know what the TV all the time drives me nuts, but I have become noise stimulated now. I have music or something going all the time Great going on the potty training!

And how is everyone else?

I suppose I am having the day I am supposed to be having
Love ya'll!
Chris
Old 08-24-2004, 03:01 PM   #8  

"how it appears to me today may not be how it will appear to me
tomorrow"-Wow, I really love that quote. That's why I always love tommorow and the future itself. This forum is a great way to express our deepest thoughts and desires. I know that the people around me doesn't know about my issues with food, and I have to admit, it's an issue that I'm not comfortable with to discuss to my friends. That's why I like it here, you guys know what it's all about! There are some things people just won't get... LOL
Skippy-I'm proud of you!! You didn't let food take control! You have the upper hand now..You beat it!
Tracy-What is a curmudgeon? My ex didn't get my "food" issues , but he was part of my problem. So he took it upon himself to leave, and I"m glad he did.
Chris- I'm the same way.. I can withdraw myself completely too, but there comes a point where I need sunlight and finally realize that life is going outside of my apartment.
Ceejay, Sandi, Michelle, Linoleum,Kim, Christy, Kat,Jennelle.....waving to you guys from good old WV! I hope i didn't forget anyone else.. Post so we know you guys are doing good!!
God Bless
Vanessa
Old 08-24-2004, 05:52 PM   #9  
Kitchen Floor

Kat, I love the quotes, thank you so much!

Tracy, you are right, the only person you really can change is YOU... but you can be a good influence on your husband. There really is a lot of truth in the movie Pollyanna. By being positive and happy those who are around you will see that it is more fun than pouting. I wish you the best.

Chris, surrendering to being nuts can sometimes be insightful... and sometimes it can be fun!

Skippy - KITTIES!!!! I love cats. Is it a boy or girl? How old is it? What does it look like? Will it be an inside or outside kitty? Aaawwwwwww. Thanks for making me smile today.

Vanessa, I am there with you. Even my husband doesn't really know about my issues with food. He doesn't want to know. That's fine. I have you guys. I see myself in every one of you.

Wow, I was able to actually post to everyone so far. I will see you later. I am on vacation this week (didn't go anywhere, I'm just off work).
Old 08-24-2004, 06:46 PM   #10  

Default Whew...

I have officially survived the first day of school! Yay me! I have what seems to be a really sweet group of children with a LOT to say. Talkers, almost every one, but that's okay. They were very excited to be with me and the work they did for me was excellent for the first day. I'm a happy camper. Exhausted from being "on" all day, but happy.

Chris -- OMGoodness! I laughed out loud at you beating the ^&** out of that $%^*%. Good grief girl...what a sense of humor you have! I hope the day you were supposed to have turned out to be a good one.

skippy -- You are such a sweetie! Just a little confession...I have trouble keeping up with responding to everyone and I am so afraid of leaving someone out! I usually end up scrolling down the page to make sure I've covered it all. A new kitty. Fun, fun! We got the girls a couple a while back and they are the sweetest thangs. They let my youngest carry them around like baby dolls. Very sweet.

Vanessa -- I didn't realize you were from WVA! We're neighbors. I'm a VA gal myself. Cool!

Kat -- Great quotes. I like "my life is not as bad as I feel". Too true, especially with my depression of late. I'm glad things are on a more even keel for you and DH.

linoleum -- So, how many kitties do YOU have? I could tell by your questions that you must have at least one! LOL

Tracey -- Hooray for potty training. Both of my girls peed loong before they would poo on the potty. (Are you impressed by my mature, adult vocabulary?LOL) They would have much preferred to hide behind a chair and go in their frilly little "big girl" panties. Niiice... Hope things get better with DH! My DH and I are so very different that it has caused problems in the past, too. I've finally learned to let it go (at least most of the time!).

I don't think I missed anyone; hope not anyway!

I'm worried I might be having "issues" with my meds. Since my dosage went up last week, I've been feeling agitated and jumpy for awhile after I take it. The Rx leaflet says that is a side effect that may go away and I really hope so! I know it's too early to give up on it, but I really dread taking it knowing it's going to affect me that way. Does that make sense? Anyway, keep me in your thoughts over this! I'm such a non-medicine-taker that side effects, etc. freak me out! LOL

Okay, enough chatting! I've got laundry to fold. Have a wonderful evening everyone!

Love and Hugs,
Christy
Old 08-24-2004, 07:47 PM   #11  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'5"

Checking in..

Fellow teachers are pissing me off. We don't get to chose the children we teach. Our job as teachers is to take whatever we're given and mold it the best we can. I'm so TIRED of hearing how they think they "shouldn't have to have special ed kids" in their class. (And dammit, it's NOT "special ed kids!" It's "kids who receive special ed services." Let's try to NOT label them before they're even old enough to drive!)

Arrghhh. I need to let go. I need to pray that they open their hearts and minds enough to let God's will override their own personal will. But in the meantime, it's really hacking me off!

My gratitude list:
(1) I am grateful to Stephen for giving up some of his P.E. time so I could help him finish his assignment.
(2) I am grateful to Junie B. Jones, 'cause she's the only book I can get Carneisha to read!
(3) I am grateful to my fellow fifth grade teacher, who is much like me and is a great sounding board.
(4) I am grateful that I have a fabulous principal.
(5) I am grateful for bug spray.
Old 08-24-2004, 07:48 PM   #12  
Countess Walks-on-Water

Chris, don't hit me, but you're so damn funny when your hormonal!!

I've been feeling the urge to purge on paper lately, too, Skippy. I have a close friend that I write snail mail to when I'm on overload.

DH and I had another incident today. We went to the bank to mess with our IRAs and he was a total d!ck to the advisor. So arrogant, combative - I finally left the room. I love him, but I don't always like him. Aaargh. Later, when we were talking about it, he said jokingly, "why did you ever marry me?" and I was 'bout stumped. I think I laughed and patted his butt. (It IS a cute butt.)

Christy, I'm glad you had a good first day of school!! Now go get some rest for tomorrow!

Take care, nighty-night ladies!
Old 08-24-2004, 08:43 PM   #13  

Hello again! Just checking in before I head to bed..
I "HEART" KITTIES TOO!!! I live beside a car lot and there has to be nine kitties that stay there and once while I was going to my apartment, I saw them outside and I suddenly dropped everything in my hands and screamed "KITTIES!!!" and ran after them.. LOL Boy were they frightened!!!
Christy-Hey neighbor gal!!! I'm a newbie, slowly gaining my "mountaineer" status... Moved to WV 3 months ago from KY.. Slowly moving my way up!
Linoleum-My ex didn't want to know either, but then, he sorta created it also.. LOL It's so messed up! Not even my therapist fully understands my food issues! I find it comforting to talk about this here. We all know something that everyone else can not understand.
Jennelle-Bug spray.. isn't it wonderful??? LOL
Peace!
Vanessa
Old 08-24-2004, 09:05 PM   #14  

Ohhh forgot something!!!
Christy-What kind of meds are you on????

Vanessa
Old 08-24-2004, 10:02 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

I'm just lurking this week--Don't really have the time to spend on the computer.
Everyone have a blessed day.
Closed Thread