Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 01-16-2013, 10:40 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 331/164/164

Height: 5'8"

Default Thinking about binging? Here's a tip.

I think I had a major breakthrough this morning and wanted to share in case it helps anyone else avoid a binge in a moment of desperation.

I have realized that when I start to think about a certain food, I will become totally engrossed and will let all my thoughts turn to that food. I think about what it tastes like, the texture, the temperature, how it feels when I take that first bite, etc. I then let my emotions take over and that impulsive side tells me "go eat it -you know how good it will taste!" I am totally obsessed and getting my mind back to normal state is nearly impossible.

What I have been able to do lately is a technique I have learned that has really helped me. When my thoughts turn to a particular food, or to the thought of binging, I immediately stop and ask myself why I am thinking about the binge? What emotion am I feeling? What is causing these thoughts? The minute I disassociate myself from the thought of what the food would taste like, and instead focus on what I am feeling and what is causing these thoughts, I am able to get things under control again. Just distracting myself and not letting myself get wrapped up in visualizing the food and imagining the taste seems to get me out of binge mode.

I don't judge myself for having the thoughts; I just accept that the thoughts are there and I explore them. The longer I can distract, the less I feel the urges again.

Maybe this practice can work for you too. Just get your thoughts off the obsessive side and use your mind to ask questions and break the binge thought cycle.
KittyKatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:49 PM   #2  
Jessica

S/C/G: 153/132/fit and confident

Thanks Kittykatfan! I really needed this tonight. I am right on the brink of giving in and hope to give these techniques a try!
danzingurl77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:17 PM   #3  
banned

S/C/G: 200/150/100

Height: 155cm

I'm experiencing the same way sometimes... It took so much time before I can control myself!! thanks for sharing the tips.
r4ch3l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:24 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 180/176/155

Height: 5'8

I will try this next time I'm on the verge of binging!
PaintedPonies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:53 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 184/146/130

Height: 5'1"

I have been reading a book Brain over Binge! Great book, kinda goes against everything I have been told about binging and think it is going to help me....I hope!!! Thanks for the tips it does help to try and catch yourself before it is too late.
kellycg102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:57 PM   #6  

I use something similar to immersion therapy that people do when they have phobias. Like you would take a germaphobe to a pig farm and cover them in mud, the theory being that if they experience the worst that could happen they would eventually be able to break through.

When I start fixating on a certain food I give it my full attention. I think about why I want it. What it would taste like. How awesome it would be. Then I think about how a) the pleasure would last for a minute or two, tops, and b) how dissatisfied I would be after. I would be hugely disappointed in myself if I sucked down whatever junk food I was eyeing. That usually helps me, especially in places like grocery stores where the temptation is to buy the food and not necessarily to eat it right then. I used to have real problems with certain sugary foods. I'd pass by them, see them, and I would literally start having some sort of physical withdrawal symptoms. My teeth would ache from craving them so badly. But now I'm better at avoiding them.
lex talionis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:46 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 331/164/164

One other thing tat has worked for me lately is to tell myself that no food is off limits; it is about timing (eating every 3-4 hours to keep hunger away and blood sugar table) and portion sizes.

One day last week, I was craving a cinnamon roll. I haven't gotten a lot of cravings lately, knock on wood, so this one surprised me. I asked myself why I was thinking about that food and about binging; what emotion was behind it. Then I remembered that I was going to be willing to give in to the craving if I wanted. So I told myself, "if you really want the cinnamon roll, then go get it. You have permission to eat one, it's ok. Just one; if you want more there will always be more available on another day".

The second I gave myself permission, I didn't want it anymore! I thought, no, I don't really want it that much; I was just reverting to my old obsessive thoughts, and I went home and didn't give it a second thought.

I sure hope this new pattern of thinking keeps working for me!

Last edited by KittyKatFan; 01-20-2013 at 07:46 PM.
KittyKatFan is offline   Reply With Quote