Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 05-28-2011, 03:17 PM   #1  
Super Single Mom

S/C/G: HW/SW 275/ CW 266.2 /GW 160

Height: 5'7"

Default Binge Free Challenge: 5.30.11 - 6.5.11

Welcome to the binge-free challenge!!

This is a place where you can come in and talk about binging. Feel free to post about your successes and your struggles and keep track of how many days you've been binge free. You can also vent about anything and everything you feel like getting out. We are here to share our feelings and to encourage and inspire each other.

No negativity! We are strong chicks and I KNOW we all can do this!! And we don't have to do it alone, we have each other to get us through the rough times.

ALL chicks are welcome -- no one is excluded! If you are trying to lose weight, not trying, maintaining, recovering from an eating disorder, in the midst of one, or have ANY kind of problem with food, we would love to have you join us!! Please do not hesitate to post your feelings. Jump right in head first!!! We WILL catch you!
Vixsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 08:43 PM   #2  

I'll join in!
FassGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 06:04 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 255/220/140

Height: 5'7

day 19!
aggie2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 10:53 PM   #4  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

yeah not so good. Day 1 today. I had a great weekend with friends in Osaka but I barely slept at all and drank a lot. Yesterday was bad, hung over and zombie-like sleepiness and sad because it was my last time seeing a lot of the people I was with.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 11:49 PM   #5  
Maintainer since 8/15/09

S/C/G: 173/118.6/110-115lbs.

Height: 5'3

Day 7- Made it!
fruitlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 01:35 AM   #6  
Chronic Pain Fighter

S/C/G: 165/?/128-132

Height: 5' 10''

Terrible weekend.....ugh I guess my nerves are getting to me. I don't even want to climb on the scale, even though I record my weight on the 1st of the month.....I prob. will just skip it so I don't get depressed about it, and just work towards clean eating n no binge eating...so tmr will be day ONE.....

My problem is not eating sweets but the mindset of why I am eating...SO when I am "emotionally unstable" for lack of better word I just shouldn't eat....cause I can do moderation (sweets) everyday and not binge.....
Well on the positive side, in the whole month I only binged four days (2 weekends)....
desiresdestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 02:12 AM   #7  
Hi there!

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5' 5"

Hi! I'm Lianna and I'm a compulsive overeater.

This is my first post in a while (sorry, it'll be longer). Things have been HECTIC. Moved twice in the past few months. It was a mess.

I definitely need this thread. Thanks for making it!

So, I have been having major issues with binging. I haven't gone a single week since January without at LEAST one binge. I was at about 143, and at my last weigh in about 3 days ago I was at 157. Ugh. Up like 15 lbs. I'm not weighing right now - I can't handle the numbers. I'm focusing on my eating. But I feel gross and SO bloated (with water, fat, ew). I hate that feeling.

I have a two week road trip coming up in like a day, so I'm going to have to work hard to stay on plan. And the plan right now is to eat...less. I'm eating when I'm hungry, eating as healthy as I can but still enjoying my food.

Anyone have any tips for avoiding binges while in a car with a lot of snacky foods for 8+ hours a day? I really need them. And I have VERY limited cooler space for fresh foods.
LiannaKole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 02:17 AM   #8  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

I assume you are not in control of what food is in the car? I'm not sure what advice I can possibly give, since I am in a similar boat to you and have been having a terrible time staying in control since January too. I understand the "miserable in your own skin" feeling so well. But I'm glad to see you back.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 02:27 AM   #9  
Hi there!

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5' 5"

Krampus: No, I'm not in control of the food in the car. I mean, I can bring some of my own stuff, but that won't help me not be around the other foods (proximity and boredom are my enemies - two things in high supply on road trips). And thanks! I'm glad to be back.

Recently I've found that if I keep very busy during the day (run errands, take walks, basically go out as much as I can during the day) I do fine. As soon as I have a day where I don't go anywhere, things collapse. Unfortunately, I'll be trapped with the goodies for hours on end everyday for two weeks...

On the plus side, I've discovered I can have small amounts of some "treat" foods (breads, chocolate, etc.) without binging if I keep busy!
LiannaKole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 07:40 AM   #10  
Resident Cynic

S/C/G: 210/Ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Day 3 for me. Feeling good!

I've been waffling back and forth lately on whether or not to cut my hair really short (again) for the summer. Right now, my naturally-straight hair is just past my shoulders - the longest it's been in my adult life - and candy-apple red, like a shiny Coke can. The familiar ease of a pixie cut is sooo tempting, but it took a LOT of patience and work to grow it out to this length and keep it looking decent, and the thought of destroying all that in ten minutes with a pair of shears is pretty scary.

I remember reading some advice Dan Savage (columnist) gave a reader - a teenage boy who was concerned with his inability to "score" with the ladies - and the advice was, "Do yourself a favor - focus less on getting yourself some action right now, and focus more on getting your future 18-year-old self some action. Work out, eat right, develop good social skills and confidence. Your future self will thank both of us." I'm paraphrasing, but that was the basic idea, and it has REALLY stuck with me. I've found myself applying it to a lot of scenarios. I figure that because my hair isn't the problem - my extra fat is - changing my hair isn't the solution. I'm not going to be happy with my hair regardless, because I'm not fully happy with my face. I'm trying to think of all this hassle (caring for longer hair) as giving my thinner, fitter future self the gift of pretty, luxurious hair.
Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 09:13 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 148/141.2/117

Height: 5' 6"

I'm in. Day One!

I find i binge less if I know I have to weigh myself the next day.
Gigi33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 10:46 AM   #12  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

So what do you think happened in January, because that's how long I've been struggling too!

Yesterday was ok. Calorically I was probably approaching a binge, but mentally it was all intentional and in control, but barely. Because of that I think I'm going to make today a fresh start...again...and call it Day 1 - I like starting on Mondays . I know I've said it before, but it's different this time. This time I'm back in weight loss mode - with a serious goal, so I know I'll be motivated, for how long and what happens after I reach that goal...I don't know. But I'm hoping the day I accumulate along the way will keep me on track when I get there. I'd really hate to have say 100 some days under my belt and go back to Day 1 then.

Today I'm feeling pretty bad, I can't seem to catch a break with my health right now...last night I woke up with the stomach flu or food poisioning. Fortunatly the whole episode only lasted about 3 hours, but this morning I still feel bad and I wasn't able to go running which always bums me out because I feel so good when I do and because I'm in training right now, I'll have to figure out how to cram into my week somewhere. Luckily it was only 3 miles and if I miss it all together it's not the end of the world.

I'm supposed to go to the office today, but I REALLY don't want to, so we'll see how that goes.

Fruitlady/Aggie - Congrats!

Krampus/Desire - Hang in there!

Gigi/Scoot - You're doing awesome!

Lianna - My only advice to you is that you establish some rules with yourself. This might backfire, because a lot of times restriction is the reason we binge. But it you tell yourself you can always have a reasonable serving some other time and when you're hungry and can really enjoy it maybe it will work. For example, we have a candy jar at work and there are always individually wrapped mini chocolate candies in there. Well for the longest time, that jar was off limits to me. Sometimes it was hard to do, but after a while I didn't even think about it anymore. I stopped following that rule recently and it's become a problem, so the rule is being reinstated. My other rule is that I never eat the birthday (unless it's mine ) at work. At first it was hard and uncomfortable, but now everyone knows I'm not having any cake. I also never have the leftovers. Other rules that I'm reinstating right now is to take all the triggers that I can out of the house. Some of it's impossible, but I need to establish those as things I can have only when they're apart of a meal (peanut butter for example I can incorporate reasonable). But I can't take the cereal out of the house because of DS and DH so that just has to be a no for me. Something that helps me a lot is to really think about the nutritional value of food and really try to think of it as fuel for my body and how much better I will feel if I eat something to fuel me. If I want to indulge then save it for a time when it's really worth and be sure to get the best availible.

SO this is just examples of things that were working for me for a long time, but in Janurary I started questioning everything and feeling obsessed with food and something just stopped working. So I'm trying to get back there and tell myself that this is just the way it has to be for me. I'm a food addict, or a compulsive eater or a binge eater or an emotional eater, whatever you want to lable me, I'm not real comfortable with any of those titles yet, but I think it's because I'm in denial.

As much as I want to deny it, I have a disorder and while I'd love to have a normal relationship with food, I think my normal is going to be different from others and that's ok and I don't need to over think it or feel bad about it. Someone wouldn't shun an alchololic for not drinking, so I shouldn't be embarassed for passing up certain things or not allowing certain things in my house.

I know the next few weeks are going to be a little tough, I'll be "drying out" so to speak. But it's time for me to reinforce the rules and remember that they worked before and I can ALWAYS go out and get what I crave ANYTIME I want to if I'm hungry and it's appropriate. There is no food shortage where I live, cookies and cakes are available everyday. But I know I feel SO much better when I FEED my body FUEL and I workout and am kind to myself. And it's OK if sometimes I want something really indulgent - just make it worth it.

Gosh, that really turned into a novel. Sorry about that. I really need to get this stuff out sometimes. Thanks for listening!
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 11:41 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 252-255?/ticker/145

Height: 5'6''

paris81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 02:25 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 255/220/140

Height: 5'7

lianna~! bring a thermos full of hot tea (no sugar)...i love jasmine green tea. i sip it slowly to get through binge urges. also chopped up raw veggies, carrots, zucchini, celery, peppers...good luck on your road trip...

Last edited by aggie2006; 05-30-2011 at 03:22 PM.
aggie2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 02:59 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 155/Ticker/130

Height: 5'7"

Made it to my 1 month goal! WOOO HOOT!!!

I'm never binging again!

I think I've finally lost all desire to do it. It feels so good. I just need to work on overeating, stopping when I'm not hungry and sticking to my cals planned for the day.

I read part of this book last night at the book store, "Naturally Thin" by Bethenny Frankel (Real Housewives of New York), and absolutely love what she has to say!!!

This week, I'm going to post one rule from her book every day and hope that it inspires you every day this week!

Rule 1: Your diet is a bank account
Let’s get right to the first rule. I consider this a sort of master rule, the mother of all the other rules. It’s the first thing I tell people when they ask me how I stay naturally thin. Every rule is important — even crucial — but this rule encompasses all the others. It’s something I keep in mind every day, every time I eat anything. It has become a part of my life to think about and implement this rule, and it makes the whole thing so simple and sensible, you won’t believe that you’ve never practiced it. Here it is:

Naturally thin thought:So you love chocolate or cheese? Or you hate to exercise? No problem. Lots of naturally thin people share those same preferences. You can still be you, no matter who you are, and be naturally thin. If you don’t eat what you want to eat, if you restrict yourself, you will feel deprived, and it will all fall apart eventually. You won’t keep it up. Eat what you want to eat. Just recognize what you are eating, and if you know it’s an “expensive” investment, enjoy every bite — but have only a couple of bites. Or just recognize and balance it later. Then you won’t blow your budget and you can stay balanced. If you hate to exercise, you eat a little less. If you love to exercise, you can eat a little more. Balance.

This is the first thing I want you to think about every day, and start to integrate into your life. Until it becomes second nature, you need to keep reminding yourself: Your diet is a bank account.

The rest of this excerpt is here:

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/296204...hin/#fullstory
Beila is offline   Reply With Quote