Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 01-03-2010, 02:33 AM   #1  
Spartan Kitty

S/C/G: 270/*ticker*/160?

Height: 5'4"

Default Flawed Logic

I will present to you now what might be considered the most flawed logic there has ever been.

There is a tin of homemade fudge in my house. I shouldn't eat alot of it (a piece here and there is fine of course), but I know I am going to anyway. SO, I will eat it all tonight so that there is none for me to binge on tomorrow.

I ask you, does that make sense? I use this logic all the time, I find myself justifying eating a whole box of zingers or a half a dozen cupcakes by telling myself I am just getting rid of them so they won't tempt me tomorrow. Even though I know the excuse is ridiculous, I still use it. I'm soooo good at lying to myself that I'll believe myself every time! Anyone else ever use flawed logic to justify a binge?
Latchkey Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 03:01 AM   #2  
Losing weight since 2009

S/C/G: 310/138/132

Height: 5'7

Yup, that sounds just like my kinda logic. For me there are certain trigger foods that I just can't resist (junk food, cheese, candy, fried foods, mac 'n cheese, ...), and I'll defy logic to justify my reasons for binging. When I started my weight loss journey I recognized this was a problem and if I truly wanted to lose weight I'd have to fully commit to a complete lifestyle change. I basically cut all those trigger foods out of my life. If accept that I buy the 'bad' stuff, I will binge on it. For me to stop the binging/overeating I don't allow those foods in my home. Without the temptation, I don't have the problem. It's been nearly a year since I've changed my lifestyle (aka healthy eating) and I rarely have cravings for the 'bad' stuff. I still don't buy or keep those foods in my home, why risk it? If you have those trigger foods, don't buy them (or at least try and get healthier options)...if those foods aren't there you won't binge on them. Good luck & stay strong!
Gracie789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:46 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 252-255?/ticker/145

Height: 5'6''

I've used that logic many, many times. I think it goes along with the whole "I'll start eating healthy tomorrow" attidute--if the food is still in the hosue tomorrow, then how can I eat healthy tomorrow? Of course, then the craving hits, and I'll go to the store the next day, and so it continues.
paris81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 12:28 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 190/152/120

Height: 5'6"

I wouldn't even call what I do "logic" lol... I'll come up with the craziest reasons that I should indulge myself. It's a holiday, the last day of the month, the middle of a hard exam week, "This is a once in a lifetime chance to eat this particular flavor cake, I'll regret not eating it later," "I'm surrounded by my friends and family, I should just relax and have fun because they love me no matter what my size is," etc etc. The bottom line: I love eating junk foods in economy size amounts.
Lizzie2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 01:34 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

I've so done that many times! And I know it's stupid while I'm doing it, but it's an excuse and I'm looking for one.
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 01:47 PM   #6  

Throw away the fudge! I have no problem pitching a food I don't wish to eat but might be tempted too. If you feel guilty throwing it out, take it to a neighbor right now!
cassieroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:39 PM   #7  
Elizabeth

S/C/G: 233/158/145

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassieroll View Post
Throw away the fudge! I have no problem pitching a food I don't wish to eat but might be tempted too. If you feel guilty throwing it out, take it to a neighbor right now!
Excellent advice! I'd rather waste junk food than WAIST it

If I throw a trigger food away I usually spray it with windex or bleach so that it is totally inedible. Yep, I've actually taken food from the top of the trash when I was in serious binge mode
telemetrynurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:54 PM   #8  
Intuitive Eating & HAES

S/C/G: 290/244/175

Yep, I’ve used that same argument myself for as long as I can remember. My mom taught it to me as a child. She was always following the kind of magical diets that come with rules like, “Eat ½ a saltine and it’s all over for you.” And after she ate that ½ saltine, she’d binge like crazy and hang her head over the toilet afterwards (as she did every night, regardless of food intake).

So it was either feast or famine in our house and not much in between. Now, I’m trying to learn how to function in the in-between territory – to eat sensible foods when I’m hungry and stop when I’m not.

Throwing out the fudge is the expedient thing to do; and, yes, you’ll win the battle with that particular tin of fudge. But I can understand what I think you’re pondering here. After the treat is in the trash, there’s still the larger issue of learning to develop a healthier relationship with food, trusting yourself to enjoy a little each day if you’d like instead of feeling the need to obliterate the enemy before midnight.

Keeping temptation out of easy physical reach works for many folks, as noted here in the thread. And I’m definitely not knocking that because it has been successful for people. I’d simply like to get to the point where I can throw a half-eaten treat in the trash or walk away from it for the day because I’m no longer interested, not because I fear the trigger food and can’t trust myself around it.
PartTimeHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:00 PM   #9  

Usually when I do pitch the tempting food, I ate a bite/piece of whatever is and then get rid of it and it's never as good as I think it's going to be. Does that make sense?
cassieroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:22 PM   #10  
Healthier than yesterday

S/C/G: 323/ticker/170

Height: 6'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latchkey Princess View Post
There is a tin of homemade fudge in my house. I shouldn't eat alot of it (a piece here and there is fine of course), but I know I am going to anyway. SO, I will eat it all tonight so that there is none for me to binge on tomorrow.
I've found myself doing this same thing every now and then. I feel guilty about the fact that if I don't eat it, I will have wasted money on whatever it is. Recently I've found I have no problem looking at something I shouldn't eat in the first place and just throwing it out.

It's getting easier and easier to do. I just think of how sick I will feel if I ate it all.
Lori Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:44 PM   #11  
Finding Myself

S/C/G: 260/260/130

Height: 5.5

This is so familiar! I have used that logic many many times. Along with the "I am going to eat everything in sight because I'm starting a healthy eating plan tomorrow" logic. If it were me, I'd have to throw the fudge away (and spray it with something inedible like Telemetrynurse).
lilith38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 11:23 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 190/152/120

Height: 5'6"

I've also pulled trigger foods out of the trash!! Wow I thought I was the only one. I would usually cover it with dish soap.
Lizzie2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 11:40 PM   #13  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

Oh lordy, I haven't thought about Zingers since I was a kid, especially peeling off the frosting layer and saving it for last. Darn it, I loved those...

I'm infamous for my "I'll be bad today, then good tomorrow" excuses. Tomorrow never came, or if it did, it lasted until lunch. Pitch the fudge, I say.
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:00 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 124/119/110

Yes it's flawed logic, but I understand too.

I knew I was starting fresh this week, so I ate all the bad stuff in the house over the w/e rather than throwing it out....
DogMomNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:51 AM   #15  
Kristen Denece

S/C/G: 196/196/140

Height: 5'4

hAHAHA i did that too.. ate sooo much good food in the past week prepairing for the new years res!... Put it in the freezer....regift it...its so hard not to give in to temptation esspecially when it eats away at you... like the food is calling your name. something that has worked for me in the past is i picture the trigger food... IE fudge witch is unbelievably delicous..as repulsive.. like I would hate the taste of it if I ate it. Also a good thing to do is just remember why your trying not to binge in the first place...summers comming... new jeans... REMEMBER THE FEELING YOU GET AFTER YOUve done it..... mines usually guilt and it sucksssssss
KristenFlynn3 is offline   Reply With Quote