Old 05-20-2004, 08:21 AM   #1  
Baby Steps

Default Thursday 5/20

Yay!! good news!!! DH is back on 1st shift (6-2) next week. WAHOOO!!!!! Bad news....youngest DD is home again. I MADE her stay home. Yup, the BLONDE thought she'd get to go to school. Jeez. Told her that I couldn't let her because of what happened yesterday. Told her she had to get better for Saturday (Which is our baseball day w/her school). So when I get home I've got to call the doc and tell them the meds they gave her aren't working worth diddly.
According to the scale I'm down another pound. WAHOO!! Now I've just got to keep this up so that it STAYS off. Figured if I alternate between tae bo (basics) and the 3 mile WATP tape I should be set for exercise (oh boy are those killing me!!). Of course, If I start to feel worse than I do now (I think I'm getting what DD has. Or maybe it's just a cold) then I won't manage to exercise at all. Time will tell
Hey all!! It's almost FRIDAY!! WAHOO!!!!
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 08:34 AM   #2  

Morning Brenda: Sorry you are feeling sick today. Hope it doesn't go through the whole house! Glad to hear your dh is back on a normal schedule.
AND CONGRATS ON ANOTHER POUND! You are just crankin em!

Well I have to tell you all the coolest thing! And it actually involves a vegetable.....well it tastes like fruit.....but supposedly it is a vegetable!

JICAMA! Yes that's right. I know some of you have had this and I thought I would give it a shot. I made crab cakes last night for dinner and had a salad with julienned jicama on top with a lime juice, olive oil, cumin and cilantro dressing. It was YUMEE. I can now understand how you make the applesauce out of it. That is next. I actually brought some in today diced with some splenda and cinnamon on it with a dash of lemon juice.....I may nuke it at lunch and make a kind of quick applesauce for a snack.
I have half of the darn thing left over it was so big! Hope it keeps a few days in the fridge. Wonder if I can freeze it?

I also bought a Chayote. Those are supposed to be a fruit. And I guess it is also supposed to taste like apples, or pears....depending on what you read. I am going to look up some recipes for this sucker!

The carb count is kind of high on these things though....3 for the 1/2 cup of diced Jicama I brought in today. That always frustrates me.....I am eating so much better than I ever did yet I still struggle to keep my carbs low.

Well, need to start working.........Have a great day.
jane8760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 08:47 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 158/155/125

Height: 5' 3.5"

Good morning Brenda, Jane and everyone who follows.

Brenda, I hope your daughter feels better very soon. Congratulations on losing another pound. That is just great.

I made coffee ice cream last night and it came out so very good. I just posted the recipe with a picture in the dessert section.

Also last night I did weight training and yoga. I had not done either for a few months so I can hardly move this morning.
rachelearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 09:09 AM   #4  
Somethin's gotta give

Hey all- thought Id check in after excercise and before shower....it gets crowded in here

Brenda~ Go Girl! Send some of that good karma out here to Cali! and I sure hope little one doesnt have strep- that stuff hurts something awful.....good thoughts to her.

Jane~ How do you chica's make such exotic stuff????......Im lucky to throw some lettuce TOWARDS a bowl and happy if some hits it! Last night the DH to be had some car buddies over so I had to play the southern bell and feed them....Fried chicken potatoes, gravy, biscuits, green beans w/ bacon and sweet tea......BUT apart from a few tiny tastes to make sure it was comin out right, I stuck with the green beans and my own fried chicken rolled in pork rinds!....

Rachel~ Now ice cream sounds like something I could pull myself together to make!

Everyone have a great day!
marie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 11:11 AM   #5  

Hi all! Sounds like everyone really is going well this week - like we promised. My scale was down almost 3 pounds this am. I think some of it may be muscle loss though. I haven't been running for two weeks now. I have a cold that won't leave by throat. Very fustrating! This is the first time that I wasn't totally jazzed about the lower scale read. I just know it's muscle loss! Grrr. I've got to get rid of this bug and get back to running. Maybe next week. I'm so impatient w/these things!
LOVE2C135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 11:12 AM   #6  

Hey Jane - can I get your recipe for that salad dressing? It sounds really good. What's the carb count?
LOVE2C135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 11:24 AM   #7  
Total Sass Bucket

Hey chickies

What a busy morning! Of course, it doesn't help that I, of all the responsible people in the world, I... went out and got drunk last night. It was totally innocent to start with. My headache had just gotten itself taken care of and a friend called my BF to ask him to pull him out. Apparently he was trying to get his trailer out of a field and his truck got MAJORLY stuck. So, I figured both my BF and our friend would end up stuck in the mud.... which is a good show with boys yelling screaming and getting all pissy and throwing things and kicking things. Naturally I went along to laugh. Well, by the time we got there our friend had managed to get out somehow. So, we went to another friends and there were a BUNCH of people over. I hit my 3 beers and was drunk and just kept on drinking. OMG I didn't even realize it had gotten so late until I noticed I had smoked a pack of cigarettes and couldn't stand up. Uh oh. Got home and got the hiccups for an HOUR. That put me to bed at about 2 - 2:30 and I get up at 5:30. One of those times when you realize you might wake up drunk. Thank goodness I didn't. I did have a really good time though. There were 3 other girls there to start and each and every one of them got pist off at their BF and stormed out. By the end of the night I was cracking up laughing that my BF was the only guy there who didn't manage to piss off his girl. I swear, people get mad over such silly things sometimes.

So this morning I flew into work and had to make out an answer key, reviewed all first hour and chased the prairie dog around after the kids left. I had to change the bedding and stuff in his cage and I have ALL holes in the room sealed.... so he can't escape... but man is he hard to catch! I'm STILL looking for another job. Either I'm not as fabulous as I think I am or the job market is TOUGH. I called Target and the lady I spoke to was basically like "well, all we have available is overnight shift so we didn't call you" and I about blew up when I said "if you would have taken the time to LOOK at my application, you would have realized that I put down that I wouldn't mind working nights". Ugh. She basically then said that she really didn't want anyone working under her that had a degree. WHAT IS THAT???? So tonight I"m going to the Sylvan learning centers around here and putting in my application.
Man, this is a book.
Brenda: congrats on the lb. feel better
Jane: isn't jicama cool?
marie: way to go on staying good
Shimma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 11:24 AM   #8  

Rachel: That ice cream sounds so good. I may have to borrow my friends ice cream maker this year!

Marie: Making crab cakes is so easy. My dh loves mine I even make my own roasted red pepper sauce to go with it. I wish I had some for lunch today!

Love: I will post the dressing if you like.....actually I thought it was kind of plain but I tend to "wing" measuring so I may have been off a little on something. It was very nice with the Jicama....balanced the flavor.

Well it is getting dangerously close to lunch! I have a yummy salad with some turkey and avocado in it and chipolte dressing. Yum. Not that I have been thinking about it all morning or anything.
Old 05-20-2004, 11:28 AM   #9  

Shimma: You snuck in on me! Sounds like you had fun last night.......hope you feel better today than I did yesterday! I think going to Sylvan will be a great fit for you! Good luck.
Old 05-20-2004, 11:30 AM   #10  

Good morning ladies!

Brenda - Sorry your daughter is still sick & congrats on the pound. Kids bring home more bugs!

Jane - Yes they are wonderful! Ikind of resent that fact that I'm eating healthier and still have to watch my weight. You'd think that just cutting out the sugars and starches alone would automaticaly makethe weight come off.

Marie - Dinner sounds wonderful and your such a good hostess!

Love - A whole 3 lbs, that's great! If it was muscle, you get it back. Get to feeling better.

Rachel - Will have to check out that recipe

It's my Friday! 3 glorious days off and I may leave early today since all the legal documents are filed for the 6 that came in this week and I've got nothing to do. Got my niece picked up and cleaning my house so that'll be done when I get home. She'll be thrilled about spending the day with Danny, she just adores him. He's home today hung over. I just don't get it. Why drink so much you can't go to work? Just doesn't make sense to me. We had guests over to bubble after Happy Hour and they didn't leave until midnight.

Last edited by morti; 05-20-2004 at 11:35 AM.
morti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 11:36 AM   #11  

Shimma you snuck in on me. That prarie dog is giving you fits isn't he!
morti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 12:05 PM   #12  
Head Princess

Hello darlings!

Brenda - glad things are going better for you. It's important to keep that positive energy flowing!

Jane - Isn't jicama great? I made the 'applesauce' last night and had it with a pork chop. Yum! Oh! And the pork chop was coated in crushed Total Protein. Double yum! :t

Rachel - I haven't done my pilates in about a month and I'm scared of how sore I'm going to be. Why is it so difficult to establish that exercise habit?

Marie - Just you wait. You'll end up trying all sorts of things you'd never though of and wondering how you managed to live such a low quality culinary life before Atkins

Love - I've been wanting to get running, too. Sometimes you just get the bug. Congrats on the 3 pounds!

Shimma - I must have passed the drinking/smoking on to you. Are you ready for this? I actually stayed in last night! One little ol' beer and no cigarettes. The universe had to balance itself out somehow, right?

Morti - Enjoy your weekend!

So, like I said, I stayed in and all by myself last night. I had a much-needed 'Princess evening'. For those of you who are newer, that means I put my hair up in a funky ponytail, then I don a tiara, my old prom dress that now fits, and a big ol' pair of slippers and then I spend my evening just lolling about and feeling regal. Anything that I drink must come from a champagne flute and candles are generally requisite good lighting and all). Did you know that pouring beer into a champagne flute makes it go flat?

I think I would of died of hysterics if someone had stopped by to say hi last night. Most of my friends think I'm already craze because I can sing 'row row row your boat' backwards. You know I would have had to fling the door wide open and give a big british 'hellllllllllllllllllllooooooooooooo'. They would have thought I was drunk
StarPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 12:07 PM   #13  
Total Sass Bucket

OMG, Star next time you're having one of those evenings... call me. I'll put on my old prom dress, my tiara from homecoming, some bunny slippers and head on over!
Shimma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 12:07 PM   #14  

Posted the recipe for the Crab Cakes with Roasted Red Pepper sauce and the Jicama Salad. Believe it or not the crab cakes have less carbs in them and there is some bread crumbs waved over them!
Old 05-20-2004, 12:09 PM   #15  
Head Princess

It's a deal, Rhonda. Sometimes I get together some women and we all don the tiara's and old formals and high heels and then go out to dinner, or shopping, or to the movies, or just strutting around town. It's great fun!
StarPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote