Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2003, 04:11 PM   #16  
Each Bite of Sugar...

Default Update

Hi all,

I've been away from my computer for 5 days... talk about withdrawal!!

I had an 'offsite' team meeting the past three days so I wasn't able to check in on Monday.

I posted my woes on the Challenge thread - but AF showed up for the first time since May and totally threw off my induction weight loss. (I'm 18 months post partum and still not regular because of pumping and nursing... but we're in the process of weaning now.)

I am down 8 pounds since last Monday, but gained 6 pounds overnight because of AF. I'm now back to down 8 pounds again this morning.... so I'm using that weight as my start weight.

Sounds like everyone is doing great - in spite of the cravings.

I was wondering if anyone could sort of describe the difference between a craving and temptation. I was SURROUNDED by doughnuts, bagels, muffins, croissants, juice, pop, caramel apple cheesecake, chocolate, cookies, desserts of all kinds, etc. all weekend/week long so far. I have been SO GOOD and really haven't "craved" the sugar so much but certainly was "tempted" to eat all the goodies that were literally right in front of me.

I did not cheat but it was sooooooooooooo hard not to.
Old 10-02-2003, 04:13 PM   #17  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

BRAVO LISA !!!!!!!!!! another job well done
Old 10-02-2003, 04:25 PM   #18  
NO JUNK FOOD ZONE!

Lisa - Great Job warding off temptation!

Froufy - Have you taken your measurements? I have been losing only 1lb a week for the past month but all my clothes are REALLY fitting differently. Try not to get discouraged. Just keep plugging and try not to be looking for a specific number. Just try to consistently get more and more healthy. It's a lot less pressure that way!
Old 10-02-2003, 09:28 PM   #19  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

Good for you Lisa...job well done! Isn't that a great feeling?

Kim, yes I am due for measurements and may do them again this weekend...hopefully some encouragement from that will keep me going strong!

So tonight I had a LIVERWURST craving...I kid you not...I wanted liverwurst....looked it up and it's not that bad! So I bought some and had some...now normally I would shmear it onto some fresh, crusty french baguette....but with Atkins one must be more creative.

So...how about some sliced cucumber rounds....spread a little liverwurst on top, garnish with a onion piece...had a plate of these. The liverwurst is only 1.3 carbs per 100 grams (I had about 50 grams)....so this worked out great!

Also had MY FIRST SLICE OF BREAD in about 4 months....I have found a very easily available bread (in Ontario, Canada), called Betty's Bread...good news is they have a "light" version which is also very high fibre. Yes, the slices are a bit smaller and thinner than regular bread, but two slices are 13 carbs, less 5.2 grams fibre for a total of 7.8 carbs for two slices...or around 4 carbs per slice.....WOW....very exciting...but it was not as good as I expected it to be.

I was just experimenting with the bread (part of my supper), and don't plan to have it regularly anyways. I am on OWL tho and have introduced over the past few few weeks: cottage cheese, berries, melon, pecans, extra veggies, a sip of wine and now a slice of bread!

Still trying to stay between 25-30 carbs on most days.

Froufy
Old 10-03-2003, 08:07 AM   #20  
soon to be goddess

S/C/G: 236/216/17?

Height: 5'7"

Red face morning.....

Hi SBmama......I guess my definition of a craving vs a temptation is that with a craving, I don't have the craved item around. Without it being physically present.....I want it, crave it, think about it, salivate over it and dream about how it will taste. A temptation to me is that I have the item in front of me or knowingly in the house and when I pass by it or see it....I want it. It is within reach and I am tempted by it. Does that make sense? I try not to give into the cravings, meaning going out to buy it.......and do the mind game of resisting a temptation.
Old 10-03-2003, 08:44 AM   #21  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Happy Friday Everyone

So much for the apple picking we were going to do this weekend. Since there's been so many mornings w/frost or frost danger, my sis told me that the farmers are picking the apples themselves so they don't lose the crop......DARN!

Apple pie is my favorite (well other than anything w/chocolate) and this time of year I LOVE to cook lots of apple things, I figured I would only get one bag of apples and make the little bambino some apple cookies or crisp Don't worry I have every intention NOT to eat it, I can do this

Last night we had Steak and sausage for dinner w/green beans, mushrooms, eggplant parm (well hubby had that) YUM.

I really LOVE my turkey sausage dipped in the SF syrup... I'm addicted

Hey Froufy, liverwurst on pork rinds YUM!!!!

Kim a pound a week is WONDERFUL! keep it up
Old 10-03-2003, 12:38 PM   #22  

Hi everyone! I haven't posted over here before, but I've been reading!

Here's an idea for your Liverwurst Froufy. I smeared some on a LaTortilla LC tortilla and it was wonderful. I love liverwurst on french baguette like you. But the tortilla was pretty good. Nature's Own makes a LC bread too. It was alright but not as good as I had hoped. I think I'd rather stick with the tortillas and do wrap type sandwiches with them.

Hope everyone has a great weekend. Our weather here, Houston, is beautiful, and is supposed to hold through Saturday! We only get a handful of days a year where the humidity doesn't either make you melt or freeze!
Old 10-03-2003, 05:59 PM   #23  
reaching my goals

Great job Lisa! I have trouble resisting temptations and cravings but it is getting a bit easier. I keep telling myself that I will stall my weight loss for 2-3 days if eat something high in carbs. So far it has worked pretty well.
Old 10-03-2003, 11:36 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 181/158.8/135

Height: 5'5"

HI ALL

SOMETHING THAT HAS HELPED ME AT TIMES, IS TO THINK ABOUT FOOD AS "FUEL FOR MY BODY" NOT AS A TREAT FOR ME.
SO LETS ALL JUST FILL UP OUR TANKS WITH LOW CARB FUEL ONLY.

HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND

DINKI
Old 10-04-2003, 01:47 PM   #25  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Happy Saturday Everyone,

Well today is a good day, even though its raining out

I went grocery shopping early this am and came home and started cooking.

Cooked a pot roast, turkey, tuna steaks and turkey sausage ohh and cole slaw mmmmmmmmmm ! tonight we will grill some kielbasa and regular pork sausages on the grill (for hubby ick) lol

Tomorrow we go to my Inlaws to celebrate my FIL's 80th birthday (was going to do this last week but I was sicker then a dog).... I know the cake will not bother me in the least (good thing there's no brownies lol, now that would kill me lolol ) HEY at least I'm honest

Have a great saturday everyone
Old 10-04-2003, 03:35 PM   #26  
Slimwithin

Hey all you Atkiners! I keep forgetting that this forum now exists and I should be a part of it.
I'm no longer on strict Induction but I still try to keep my carbs around 20. Lately I've added in full fat yogurt which actually helped me break a stall. According to a poster on another Atkins support board, she figures the data on the yogurt cartons is wrong and because the bacteria "eats" up the lactose to make yogurt, there is only 4 gr per 8 oz in plain yogurt. So, I've been making my own and then I turn half of it into yogurt cheese and mix some of that in with the plain yogurt to thicken it up, flavor it all with s.f. jello powder or s.f. syrup and yum yum, it is SO nice for a change. And, as I said, it helped me break a long-lasting stall. Might not work for everyone but it has definitely helped me. Some of the folks who are believers, go on a full yogurt fast which means yogurt all day except for a low carb supper. I just use it to replace one meal or one or two snacks each day.

I was wondering where everyone from the main LC board had disappeared to and now I know. They are either here or in the South Beach Forum. LOL

The question about temptation vs cravings got me thinking. IMHO, a temptation is having something yummy call your name but you have the will to resist. A craving is a nagging urge that demands to be fulfilled and is almost always impossible to resist. In fact, often we give into cravings before we even realize we had a choice to refuse. That's why it's so important to stay in ketosis which is the "Great Wall Against Craving Invasion". Once you're steadfastly into ketosis, the cravings don't have much of a chance.
Old 10-04-2003, 09:02 PM   #27  
Card Carrying Princess

Talking SPARKLING SATURDAY

Rainy, gloomy wet day here, but I am sparkling!

This morning's scale jump (at least 5 scale jumps actually) revealed 190.8...on all occasions. I am hoping this is a good sign and an indication of things to come! I am SO ANXIOUS to get into the 180's!

Not hungry today - so must be in ketosis (had psyllium husk pancakes for breakfast, 2 pepperoni sticks for lunch while running out door to hairdresser appt, a small cappuccino while there...then nothing to eat til dinnertime around 7 pm). Lots of shopping going on tho! (my feet are killing me!).

Dinner was a veal chop (in garlic olive oil) and brocolli in cheese sauc e- yum - still hungry so may have to forage around for more food!

Shopping was fun as I tried on clothes, but did not buy anything (except a black t-shirt on sale!)...as I am not yet ready to make any major investment.

Did buy a new watch, ordered another watch, and bought a new diamond solitaire necklace!!! (we were robbed a couple months ago, all my jewellery was stolen and just got insurance $$ so I can start replacing stuff!).

Best news is I AM NOW ABLE TO TAKE MY DIAMOND ENGAGEMENT RING OFF!...I actually got to clean the filthy thing......and it's asparkling now! I have not been able to get it off for the last 5 years. It has recently been doing the "spinning thing", but I was not able to get it off unti today! Very exciting

So I am hoping to go out to Starbucks for a coffee now, wearing my sparlking diamond ring, my new Calvin Klein (stainless steel) watch and my .40 carat diamond solitaire white gold necklace....hope everyone is wearing their sunglasses inside!

Froufy

Last edited by Froufy; 10-04-2003 at 09:04 PM.
Old 10-05-2003, 10:02 AM   #28  
reaching my goals

Good job Froufy! I love jewelry too. I just picked up my watch from the shop and had two links taken out of it. (YAE!)

As most of you know I have not been successful in starting an exercise program. Yesterday I walked in a fundraiser for Juvenile Diabetes. Afterwards I went out and bought 3 new pairs of running shoes so there is now no excuse for me not to get out and powerwalk. I'll keep a pair at home, one at work and one in the car so I'll never be without me exercise gear.

I'm expecting a loss tomorrow as I choked done a healthy dose of konsyl last night. That stuff thickens at a very rapid rate.

Where can I find more information on the yogurt fast? I think I could do that easily.

Hope all of you are having a super weekend.
Old 10-05-2003, 12:53 PM   #29  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Linda, good to see you

Froufy WTG !!! When I was pregnant 2 yrs ago I had to take my rings off, well they are still off, can't wait to put them back on sigh~ My ring size is a 6, I think right now I'm a 7 so it will be at least 20 - 30 lbs b/4 I can get those babies back on..OY

Supersize, I mix my konsyl in my soda (but first I get the bubbles out or it becomes a mess lol, the black cherry kills the taste and then I flush it down some more w/water) I can NOT take that stuff w/plain water.....gag!

Today is FIL's b'day dinner at his house, I will be STRONG!!!!!

Hugs
Old 10-05-2003, 07:07 PM   #30  
Card Carrying Princess

Good luck Leens....hope you manage to pull through the party!

I am having an "eating" day...home and very tired, lethargic...due to an antihistamine I took at 5:30 am due to sniffly nose!

I am now in "fasting" mode as Yom Kippur has begun at sun down. I will be fasting until sundown tomorrow..then a major carb load I guess?

My eating was a bit off, I think the fasting this is making me eat more....you know how scared we are of going hungry?

Today I have eaten: 2 slices bacon, 2 eggs, 1 slice melon, decaf w/cream, 3 pepperoni sticks, handful of potato chips! , turkey liver, 1 slice cheese.

Dinner was (yes there's more).....roast turkey, sf cranberry sauce, asparagus w/lemon butter, 1 slice acorn squash, sf chocolate mousse and decaf coffee w/cream.

I am STUFFED...but I know I'll be hungry tomorrow!...cant' eat til around 7:30 pm.....then we can break the fast.....not sure what I will be eating at that point? We're not supposed to drink water either, and that is the toughest part. I guess I won't be taking my supplements tomorrow?

I am off work tomorrow of course, and may not weigh myself as I feel so bloated now. I did hop on scale today...and looks like 190...hope this sticks around!

Froufy
Closed Thread