Old 06-09-2010, 09:13 PM   #91  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by BibBob View Post
The day I order food with the specific intention of impressing anyone other than myself... just shoot me.
@ Bob...

kaplods -- that is interesting information...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:20 PM   #92  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene View Post

kaplods -- that is interesting information...
I always enjoy her posts. I enjoyed one earlier today about vanity sizing. I'm a fact nut.
wendyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:00 AM   #93  
hunt and gatherer

S/C/G: 368/300/198

Height: 6'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyland View Post
I always enjoy her posts. I enjoyed one earlier today about vanity sizing. I'm a fact nut.
Yes! I love kaplods posts and meant no disrespect. She's brilliant.

Last edited by BibBob; 06-10-2010 at 03:01 AM.
BibBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:31 AM   #94  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Brilliant?! Nope, just a fact and trivia nut too. If it's information I will never truly need, it sticks in my head forever. Practical information (like where the heck did I leave my car keys, glasses, the pen I just had a second ago) it's already forgotten.

I can't say that I ever used any of the business lunch information, except for trying to appear more decisive than I am by nature when it comes to the menu. If I'm with family or friends, I'm the one who always needs "more time," (then the waitress never returns - or she comes back and I'm still not ready). It drives hubby and other family members crazy, so I would try to make my choice more quickly for business lunches, so as not to annoy bosses or coworkers.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 05:11 AM   #95  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

I'm never going to play Trivial Pursuit with Kaplods!

I had an interesting late break yesterday. A coworker said something about how I might be on to something. She had a slice of bread for lunch and was really drooping by 2 pm.

We had meatza again last night. It's definitely a go-to meal ... quick and easy.

Today I've got a lovely roast of beef in the crockpot.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 12:19 PM   #96  
hunt and gatherer

I have about 50 pounds of apricots ripening on two trees and the birds will discover them soon. Ugh. I am avoiding sweet fruit. I guess this may be the year to teach my kid how to make preserves. She can have some fun on the computer designing and printing some labels and we'll give them away. I don't have any sugar in this house. I threw away about two pounds in a moment of... clarity?

Anyway, I ate oddly yesterday. I had a good three ounces of pecans and 5 ounces homemade jerky in the mid morning. Btw, homemade jerky is a great snack for a low carber with snacking issues. I've got this whole house hooked on mine. It's very simple to make.

Then I didn't eat all day, until about 11pm. My intermittent fasting program is messing with my appetite, maybe in a good way? This was not planned, but whatever burns the fat, I guess. I made a 3 egg omelet late at night and in coconut oil. I officially do not like the taste of coconut oil in eggs. I would like to find a flavorless coconut oil. But from now on, it's butter for eggs. The omelet had tomatoes, bell peppers, onions, pepperoni and steak in it. It was a hearty dish. I probably should have just slept, because the flavors needed some dessert behind them and I went with almonds and blueberries drenched in coconut milk. This is my new cereal.

I've quit counting carbs, but I'm happy avoiding them like this.

Today will not be a fasting day. I'm going to a place called The Matador. Something tells me there's primal food on the menu.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:56 PM   #97  
Kara

S/C/G: 375/see ticker/185

Height: 5'10''

@Bob, how are you making your jerky?

Didn't have the meatza last night, had grilled ckn instead. Maybe meatza tomorrow night. Today was crazy, my son had swim lessons at 9am and then I had a client at 11am and 2pm so I was going to IF but instead came home and grabbed some walnuts and berries and then tonight I had a snack tray(guacamole/ckn/pepperoni/chz)

Oh yea...my quitting dairy is not going so well. I said the heck with it, it seemed like I was wanting it more than usual just because I told myself not to have it, it was that darn rebellious nature of mine coming out.
koceank29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 08:58 PM   #98  
hunt and gatherer

I'm using bottom round steaks.

They look just like that, maybe even thinner. They are very lean, tough and cheap. I season them heavy with garlic and onion powder on one side and...

On the other. I put them on a cookie sheet and set the oven 180 degrees and forget about them for five hours. You can flip them at some point or not. I slice or tear them after cooking not before. I like spicy and use a bunch of crushed red pepper on one that's just for me. Lemon pepper and garlic has worked. Cumin and chili powder has worked. I'm trying to limit the salt a little by only getting it from the Webers or the lemon pepper.

By far the best were four I just did outside after grilling steaks. I had some heat left and quickly seasoned these up and put them on the grill as far from the coals as possible. Then I added a little coal to keep some heat in there for a full five hours. They were devoured very quickly. I could easily eat three of these a day as a snack. Others around here feel the same way.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:21 PM   #99  
Ilene the Bean

Bob, that seems like my kind of jerky... I never eat the stuff in stores it looks soo full of junk... And I don't like garlic that much and feel like my breath stinks after eating one, although I haven't had one in years...

Today was a good day Primal wise...Nothin' else to report here...
Old 06-11-2010, 05:15 AM   #100  

I made the terrible mistake of looking back on the time sheets at work. I haven't had two days off together since May 16th. No wonder I'm so blessed tired! The unit clerk marked me unavailable for the weekend because I look so awful. Wasn't that nice of her

I'm pretty sure cortisol is having it's way with me. That and I'm scarfing any food in sight ... One more shift ...

Funny story ... I have a pt who needs added protein for wound healing. He doesn't like hospital meat much. Doesn't like yogurt or cottage cheese. I was telling him about my love for hard boiled eggs. Now his wife is bringing him hard boiled eggs I'm not the only one walking around with HB eggs in my purse.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:48 AM   #101  
Ilene the Bean

for HB eggs, I love them too
Old 06-11-2010, 11:45 AM   #102  
Kara

S/C/G: 375/see ticker/185

Height: 5'10''

I'm giving that jerky a shot later tonight so I don't heat the house up...I'm a garlic nut so I'll be giving mine a good dose of garlic and definitely red pepper flakes, can't wait to try it.

Susan you need some rest...sleep sleep sleep tomorrow! I can't imagine working almost a month straight.
koceank29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 11:55 AM   #103  
hunt and gatherer

I ate two HB eggs last night with a hunk of cheddar and 4 pieces of bacon. I'm trying to get my fats higher. The more I read I think my decades old fear of fats is still in play some.

Susan, how do vegetarians get protein in those situations?

Anyway, I have eaten for three straight days without doing my 4th all day fast. Just a schedule/environmental thing, so I am doing it today.

Bad news. One of my motivators to lose this weight is my damaged back. I have lumbar and thoracic issues. My paraplegic brother in law is convelescing post buttocks surgery on high protein and fats for another 10 days or so. I offered to use this time to help my sis get their house in order. They have an elderly dog having accidents constantly, but otherwise too healthy and active to consider putting down. So, sis's in laws are all over her for having an unhealthy environment at home, blaming that and other things on the pressure sore getting so bad...blah. I tore out half of her urine soaked carpeting yesterday. My back is killing me, but I have to finish the job today. I love doing floors, btw. I don't install them professionally, but I learned from pros years ago, and still keep up with the latest and greatest. It's fun for me. Hardwood, laminate, tile, brick or stone; indoors or out -- I love playing with the angles, doing the measurements, laying it out, running a wet saw; the whole process. Fireplaces and entry ways are my favorite. It's legos for grown ups. There's no way I can do this job for her. I feel bad because I was saving her thousands, but my back won't take it. I feel like an old man, worn out, used up; and a little pissed off about it, in a lot of pain today. Ugh.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:04 PM   #104  
hunt and gatherer

Quote:
Originally Posted by koceank29 View Post
I'm giving that jerky a shot later tonight so I don't heat the house up...I'm a garlic nut so I'll be giving mine a good dose of garlic and definitely red pepper flakes, can't wait to try it.

Susan you need some rest...sleep sleep sleep tomorrow! I can't imagine working almost a month straight.
I know this is obvious, but just in case. The end result here is way better than any store bought jerky I know of but not preserved for pantry storage. Keep it wrapped in the fridge. In about 2-4 hours the top will be dry, the bottom still a little moist. Turning it then gives you a more jerky like result by fully drying both sides. Not turning leaves you a more tender product. If your beef releases a lot of fats and fluids, dry it with a paper towel or drain it in the middle of the process. Beef jerky is dehydrated beef. My 180 degree method is about 80% dehydrated and 20% cooked. You can go as long as 8 hours and it starts getting harder and chewier. I really love the stuff at the five hour mark, it's, a combo of moist and dry, chewy and tender, and the spices seem to really be alive at that point.

I generally have been putting mine in the oven at midnight, programming it to cook from 2am to 7am, so I wake up and it's done. Also trying not to overheat the house, but 180 degree oven is really not much of a heater.

Last edited by BibBob; 06-11-2010 at 12:05 PM.
Old 06-11-2010, 03:59 PM   #105  

Bob? I've not run into the vegetarian situation with a patient yet. I have seen some pink liquid drink thing that's a low carb protein supplement for diabetics. My guy just wants eggs

Dh is gonna fire up the barbeque so I think I'm going to nap until supper.