Old 06-05-2010, 05:55 PM   #61  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Just having a little Pelee Island Merlot waiting for Ilene's cole slaw recipe to mellow. Pork roast in the crock pot!

My last meatza was pizza sauce, mozzarella, yellow peppers, bacon and olives. I don't remember what we put on the one before that.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 06:07 PM   #62  
Ilene the Bean

Bob -- your fasts amaze me, I don't think I could do it... I can not eat at night and then skip breakfast, but not for 36 hours oye !! After that dream, you say you weren't hungry, but just before that you said you've eaten in your sleep, me thinks this could be what happened ... Kidding of course..

I just had the most wonderful supper... Made some chicken burgers on the BBQ with eggs and parm cheese, and added a very little bit of italian bread crumbs... Then I made some home made mayo and an Unpotato Salad and a ceasar salad with the darkest green romaine lettuce... It was soooo good I really wanted to make the Kale chips too but the grocery store I went to had no kale
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 07:48 PM   #63  
hunt and gatherer

S/C/G: 368/300/198

Height: 6'2"

Well, the pork chops of my dreams were still in the fridge when I woke up, but they are about to be cooked. Ilene, all I did was get used to 20 hour intermittent fasts in May and then start skipping dinner every now and then in June. The fasting sounds more impressive than it is, and I am noticing I sleep better on an empty stomach. I think ending the late night snacks will be key to my weight loss down the road, which means the type of fasting I'm doing now will not be a good idea.
BibBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 09:46 PM   #64  

S/C/G: 287/215/149

Height: 5' 5"

Well, I know that this group understands that eating too many carbs can be harmful and that the villification of fat is wrong.

But here's an article in the May issue of Scientific American titled "Carbs against Cardio: More Evidence that Refined Carbohydrates, not Fats, Threaten the Heart" that says the same thing. Click here to read article.

It seems like our way of eating is going more mainstream, and it's about time! I also think these type of articles in relatively conservative publications can give us ammunition to help others.

CJZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 11:40 PM   #65  
hunt and gatherer

CJ, if I decide to launch a blog on this topic, I may offer you a position as an unpaid volunteer! Dr. Eades was asked in the comments to one of his articles: "When will the medical and pharmaceutical industries correct their mistakes?" His answer was interesting. He said not until a majority of all doctors start agreeing they've been wrong, and that may take a few generations retiring.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:15 AM   #66  

Good morning!

I suggest you all try that cole slaw recipe that Ilene posted. It was lovely!

I have a travel mug trick. We have a coffee shop here in town that makes coffee waaay better than Tim's. On our way to buy pond fish yesterday, I tossed a dollop of coconut oil in my mug, bought a med. with double cream and dumped it in. It was a lovely midafternoon treat!
I think I'll make that here at home and take it to work with me this morning.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:39 AM   #67  
Kara

S/C/G: 375/see ticker/185

Height: 5'10''

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJZee View Post
Well, I know that this group understands that eating too many carbs can be harmful and that the villification of fat is wrong.

But here's an article in the May issue of Scientific American titled "Carbs against Cardio: More Evidence that Refined Carbohydrates, not Fats, Threaten the Heart" that says the same thing. Click here to read article.

It seems like our way of eating is going more mainstream, and it's about time! I also think these type of articles in relatively conservative publications can give us ammunition to help others.
Good one! I don't have much trust that the fed. recommendations will shift though, we'll see. Unfortunately if they do recommend low-carb living I think they will draw the line at "healthy carbs" and continue supporting whole-grain everything, so whole-grain Froot Loops and such will still be okay in most peoples minds, but it is a start, more people saying no to donuts and the like is a good thing.

Yesterday ended badly, too much cantaloupe- it is 1 of my old fav. fruits and my kids weren't fond of it so I indulged, very very sweet. Today I'll be combatting the cantaloupe overdose with a primal feast.

B:sausage/avocado/eggs/espresso(coc.milk)
Later, eggplant pizza!

Have a good one everyone!
koceank29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 09:00 AM   #68  
Ilene the Bean

Susan, happy to see you liked the coleslaw ... The recipes I made yesterday were good too.

Rain here today so no run this morning, I don't even feel like going to the gym either... I feel like grocery shoppping for some odd reason ...

Other than that no big plans at all today... I feel pretty mellow and ho-hum...
Old 06-06-2010, 12:30 PM   #69  
hunt and gatherer

Me too Ilene. I need a slow day. I'm grilling for people/family/company almost twice a week lately and frankly getting tired of it. Grandma, who cannot do dishes or stay on her feet for long, just invited a crowd over and pulled out steaks for me to cook. Sigh. All I want to do today is soak up a little vitamin D, maybe soak in the pool, and then enjoy the Laker game in peace. I have no summer vacation planned this year, but I'm starting to feel the need for one.

Eating yesterday was fun. I'm making cereal out of nuts and fruit with coconut milk. This is a semi sweet snack that takes awhile to eat, which is part of what makes is satisfying. I lightly crush a mixture of nuts and fork mash an equal amount of berries. Not much, maybe a third cup of each. I put that in a bowl, with a half cup of cocunut milk, heat and stir until the berries color the milk. I then put it back in the fridge, wait til it's nice and cold late and night and eat it like a bowl of cereal, which used to be my old late night snack.

Here's a proud papa story. I've been reluctant to force anything on my kid or mom. Mom ain't changin' her ways and her ways aren't that bad to begin with. Anyway, my kid is very supportive of me losing weight. She touches my heart all the time. Yesterday was a a big day for her. A fund raiser car wash for camp, followed by a swim party and cookout, an all day ordeal. She called me from the cookout and told me about baked beans, potato chips, macaroni salad, potato salad and all this food she DIDN'T want to eat. So I told her what grandma and I were having and she wanted to come home. She ate two huge servings of cabbage to go with the aforementioned pork chops... and of course was sleeping very early after that. She gets it. She reads labels for carb and sugar content. Her beloved maple syrup scared her.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:58 AM   #70  

S/C/G: 287/215/149

Height: 5' 5"

Ahhhh, not a horrible story but a little "mini rant" ...

I go daily to a small (5-8 people) water exercise class and the leader there invited me to dinner at her house last night. We talk a lot during class. When people ask how I have lost weight (in the class) I tell them I am eating only proteins and veggies and natural fats. I tell them I have cut down my carbs to only veggies and an occasional fruit. I don't eat wheat. I minimize natural carbs like potatoes, rice etc. to the rare occasion and only when I'm eating out. I stress the low-carb character of my plan.

I have repeated my comments many time because people are always asking.

So ... do you know what the lady served for dinner? A sandwich on white pita bread plus cheesy hash brown potatoes. WTH?

I guess I have carb-loaded for the week, which I actually think is good once in awhile, but sigh.
CJZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:20 AM   #71  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJZee View Post
Ahhhh, not a horrible story but a little "mini rant" ...

I go daily to a small (5-8 people) water exercise class and the leader there invited me to dinner at her house last night. We talk a lot during class. When people ask how I have lost weight (in the class) I tell them I am eating only proteins and veggies and natural fats. I tell them I have cut down my carbs to only veggies and an occasional fruit. I don't eat wheat. I minimize natural carbs like potatoes, rice etc. to the rare occasion and only when I'm eating out. I stress the low-carb character of my plan.

I have repeated my comments many time because people are always asking.

So ... do you know what the lady served for dinner? A sandwich on white pita bread plus cheesy hash brown potatoes. WTH?

I guess I have carb-loaded for the week, which I actually think is good once in awhile, but sigh.
Ahh, sigh ... WHT is right ... Some people don't even realise what lo-carb means ... Or maybe she didn't have lo carb foods in her house available, let's give her the benefit of the doubt...

Here is my delema this morning... I got a leg cramp last week in the middle of the night I found this very odd being that I hadn't had a charlie horse since I was pregnant 22 years ago... Yesterday I spent a lot of the day on MDA site and I came upon information about leg cramps and potassium. I knew about the leg cramp and potassium conection of course but did realise how little potassium the Primal diet had until I looked it up on my Fitday... BUT having said this, I looked back in my Fitday, before Primal and my diet did not have all the recommended potassium either, although a bit more than at the present. Sooooo, last night before going to bed around 11 I had a banana, OMG almost instantly I got a mild cramp in my stomach which is still there this morning ... Anyway, just wanted to share, I'm going to need to work on upping my potassium with sups, spinach, avocados...

I'm off to work now... Have a good day...
Old 06-07-2010, 09:36 AM   #72  

I'm having a bit of a challenge too. I have arthritis in my SI joints which has become increasingly uncomfortable over the weekend. Last night I had to take an aspirin and wiggle around alot to get comfortable enough to sleep.
I did have a diet coke yesterday but don't suppose it's that. I've been wondering about nightshades.
I eat tomatoes almost every day but have had some peppers over the last week or so and potato chips. Could be a coincidence ... I'll do some reading today.

I must do some work in the garden today so I might have to get into the ibuprofen.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:29 PM   #73  
hunt and gatherer

I already shared with Susan my low back and shoulder arthritic issues. I have so much weight to lose that I should see alot of back relief, but omega 3 and vitamin D seem to be helping a lot of people.

That really stinks CJ. With family, I just say no thanks. I'm not sure how I would react in that situation. I have a feeling I would be very very nice about explaining that I'm not just cutting grains for some faddish weight loss plan, but I that I have severe reactions that suggest more serious issues. True or not, I have no problem telling people I have allergic reactions to starchy foods. I think it's true. I break out in body fat. I bloat. I get constipated. My blood sugar soars.

I'm glad you posted this though. Now I will remember to ask what's being served before accepting invitations.

Ilene. I bet I would react the same way to a very sweet banana. I am sure I have altered my gut flora, and it is changing what I crave. We had a big chocoloate cream pie here last night for my sister's birthday. She doesn't like cake. But I sliced it and served it, and even tasted it off the knife. It was sooooo sweet, too sweet for me. I finished the remains of the salad while everyone ate pie.

Last edited by BibBob; 06-07-2010 at 12:32 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:59 PM   #74  

S/C/G: 302/217/181

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene View Post
A
Here is my delema this morning... I got a leg cramp last week in the middle of the night I found this very odd being that I hadn't had a charlie horse since I was pregnant 22 years ago...
This happened to me three nights ago.

I found a list, but honestly, it doesn't look too promising.

I want to eat a diet wherein I obtain all of my nutrients from food. I'll have to work hard to make this happen when it comes to potassium if I'm going primal.

http://www.vaughns-1-pagers.com/food...sium-foods.htm

Last edited by katerina11; 06-08-2010 at 12:59 PM.
katerina11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:02 PM   #75  
hunt and gatherer

It's awful quiet around here. This gives me visions of you all hiding in dark rooms eating chocolate chip cookies. lol

Well, I had my toughest day long fast yesterday, but I made it. It's now 37 hours since I've eaten, and I feel fine. Actually I feel great because I needed to do laundry an had to find a decent shirt. I was stuck with stuff that I grew out of. The last time I tried on the shirt I am now wearing comfortably my fat belly hung out the bottom! It's a perfect fit.